Life or Death?

Maybe This Christmas

A/N: Most people voted for Kai to be granted life with Taemin forever. So that's what i'm going to write about. Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll and to people who commented, and I'm sorry if i dont write the choice you wanted. Maybe i'll make this a 4 part story and do one for each option on the poll. But for now, please comment, subscribe, and upvote. But mainly just enjoy~


~Taemin Focus~

Taemin wakes up to his alarm clock playing some annoying christmas song. He quickly turns it off and rolls on to his back and stares at the ceiling. 

"God I hate christmas" he mumbles to himself.

He sits up and walks to the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. He looks out his window and sees his annoying rich neighbor, Mary-Ann bossing people around to put up Christmas decorations. 'It's chrismas eve...Why did she wait until now to put up her decorations.' He thinks to himself. He grabs his coffee mug and fills it when the maker dings. He wanders into his living room and turns on his T.V. and flips through the channels. After awhile of channel surfing and not finding anything not related to chrismas, he gets up and wanders to his bathroom to take a shower. He needed something to take his mind off of everything. He stands there and lets the water pour down his back. He slowly let the tears pour out of his eyes trying to relieve some of his emotions.

"Why Kai?..." He mumbles slightly before getting out of his shower. He walks to his kitchen and grabs a bottle of alcohol and stares at it for a while before taking a long swallow of it. He carries it with him as he walks to his office room to play on his computer for a bit. He sits at his desk and sets the bottle down. He pulls his chair closer, accidentally knocking on of the wheels into the leg of the table and tipping the bottle over.

"!" He yelps as he quickly picks it up and moves the box of papers that are now soaked. He pulls the papers out to see the damage, and finds an old newspaper clipping. He reads it over already having every word on that page memorized. He let a tear slip out as he read it again.

~Newspaper clipping~

"Local Man Killed in Freak Accident

Kim Jongin, known to most as Kai, was killed Thursday, December 25, 2014, at 12:00 in the morning, on his way to see his boyfriend, Lee Taemin. He was almost there when a drunk driver ran a stop sign and t-boned Kim Jongin, while going almost 80 mph. He died at the scene of the accident, but not before telling one of the nearby witnesses to tell his boyfriend that he was sorry and that he loved him."

Taemin has to stop before he gets too emotional. He tosses it in a keep pile and continues to go through the box picking out important papers. Some of them were soaked to the point of not being able to read the pages, but some of them were savable. He swallows another gulp of the bitter alcohol. He sighs and he closes his eyes and leans back in his chair. 'Does it have to be Christmas eve?' He thinks sadly. He is about to sign onto his computer when there's a knock at his front door. He walks to the door and opens it revealing his retched neighbor.

"Can I help you, Mary-Ann?" Taemin sighs.

"No. But if you come to my christmas party tonight I can help you." She winks at him, and hands him the invitation. She was always flirting with Taemin, trying to get in his pants.

"Like that's going to happen..." Taemin mumbles, taking the invitation anyways.

"Oh. Come one sourpuss. Smile for once." She says while grabbing a bit of his shirt pulling him close.

"Do you mind not touching me?" Taemin says.

"I know you want me." She says and tries to kiss him.

"No. I really don't. And now if you'll excuse me I have better things to do than be ted all over by a woman I don't even know." Taemin says while prying her hand off him and quickly shutting the door in her face. She huffs while turning around. Taemin walks back to his office and stares at the news paper clipping. He swallows the rest of the alcohol in the bottle before laying his head in his arms and sobbing. He has no idea he was being wathced by an unknown being the entire time.

~Kai Focus~

Kai sits there watching Taemin sleep. He looks so peaceful and Kai wishes he could touch him. He reaches out and tries to touch him, but his arm passes through Taemin. He sighs and watches Taemin as he wakes up to a christmas song. He watches as Taemin turns it off and rolls to look at the ceiling. He can see the pain in his eyes. 'I hate that I left him like I did...I couldn't even say goodbye.' He thinks.

He follows as Taemin gets coffee and goes to the living room. He sits next to Taemin and watches as he flips through the channels. He could almost hear Taemin begging for their to be something other than a christmas show on. He sighs as he thinks of the times when Taemin and him would cuddle on that couch and curl up watching a christmas special. He follows Taemin as he gets up and goes to the bathroom. He sits there and listens to Taemin cry in the shower, and his heart shatters when he hears him mumble the words, "Why Kai?..."

Kai wants to reach out to him and tell him he wanted to be there with him. He desperately longed to have Taemin in his arms, but he couldn't even touch him let alone hold him. He sighs as he follows Taemin to the kitchen again. He watches as Taemin grabs the bottle of alcohol and stare at it. He freezes as he realizes is going to drink it. Is he really so depressed that he's going to drink his sorrows away? He could feel the sensation of tears welling up in his eyes, but they couldn't spill over. He was dead. He had no tears. He follows Taemin numbly and watches as he spills the alcohol. He squats next to Taemin as he starts to go through the ruined papers. He sees that familiar newspaper clipping he used to watch Taemin cling to as he cried himself to sleep. He reads over the words he already has memorized and watches Taemin read it a few times over. He wants to take that day back. Make it to where it had never happened. But he cant. He sighs and watches Taemin down another gulp of the alcohol. Kai moves to try to touch Taemin again and sighs as his arm just passes straight through him again.

There is a knock at the door, so Kai follows Taemin and watches as his neighbor s all over him. He really wishes he could punch her to get her off of him. And he's thankful when Taemin shuts the door in her face. He follows Taemin back to his office area and feels heart broken as he watches Taemin swallow the rest of the alcohol and lay his head down and start sobbing.

Kai walks to the kitchen and screams into the air."I wish i could be with Taemin again. Another chance with him. It hurts watching him suffer like this. I don't believe in christmas miracles anymore. Not since I was ripped from this world and from my true love. But if someone, anyone...God, Santa Claus...I don't care...just if you can hear me. Please. All I want is to be with him again. Forever....please..." Kai whispers the last please and looks down. Too bad no one can actually hear him.

Taemin stumbles into the kitchen and starts rummaging through cabinets, probably looking for another bottle of alcohol.

~Taemin Focus~

Taemin groans as he couldn't find another bottle of alcohol. He sobs again and leanns against a counter. He grabs it feeling a bit dizzy from the alcohol. He can't stand it anymore. He needs to say what's been on his mind.

"Please..." He says quietly at first. "I know there aren't christmas miracles, but pllease whoevers out ther, whether it's god, or santa...I dont ing care anymore...Just please let me die...Let me be with Kai again. Even if it's in death. I need him again. Please." Taemin begs and sobs. He looks out his window and sighs when he sees that it's already getting dark. He looks at a nearby clock that reads 11:15 p.m. In 45 minutes, it would be the anniversary of Kai's death and he needs to be drunk for that. He looks at the invitation from his neighbor and picks it up and reads it. He goes to his room annd changes into something nicer and stumbles over to his neighbors house. He could hear the music from his house when he was inside, so he knows the party is still at full speed. He can smell the alcohol from the doorway and works his way through the crowd to get to the alcohol table. All the while Kai is still following him unknowingly.

"Nice of you to make it." Taemin's neighbor slurs.

"I'm only here for the alcohol so back off Mary-Ann." Taemin mumbles. He swallows 3 cups of the spiked punch. And makes a move for a fourth. His neighbor grabs his arm and tries to tell him to stop. Even she knew it was becoming a little excessive.

"You need to stop Taemin. You'll get alcohol poisoning if you drink too much." She warns.

"Good." He mumbles while drnking another cup.

~Readers POV~

Kai wants to grab the cup away from Taemin, and Taemin wants to keep drinking it. Mary-Ann tries to talk Taemin out of drinking a fifth cup but he does anyways. It was 11:30 p.m. now. Taemin finally stopped drinking and Mary-Ann walks him out to the patio to get some fresh air. 

"Taemin...What's wrong?" She asks genuinely concerned. She didn't live there when Kai was in the picture. She moves in almost 2 months ago when Taemin had grown numb to the pain mostly. She knows he's gay, but she had hope of trying to make him straight. But she didn't know about Kai at all so she was so confused as to why he was acting like a drunk maniac.

"At 12:00 a.m. on December 25, a year ago, my boyfriend, Kai, was killed by a drunk driver who ran a stop sign and t-boned him...I hadn't seen him for over a month because he lives in China temporarily...I didn't even get to tell him I love him or say goodbye..." Taemin slurs out.

"Oh Taemin...I had no idea..." Mary-Ann says. 

"What time is it, Mary-Ann?" Taemin hic-ups. She looks at her watch.

"It's 11:58..." She says. "I leave you alone. I'll be inside if you need anything okay?" She rubs his back comfortingly the walks away. Kai sits next to Taemin, where Mary-Ann had been sitting. Taemin sits there crying into his hands.

"I miss you, Kai..." Taemin sobs. It's now 12:00.

"I miss you too, Taemin..." Kai whispers still thinking he is just a ghost. But when Taemin jumps and stares at him he realizes he can be seen.

"K-Kai?!" Taemin whispers surprised.

"You...You can see me? Oh my god...my wish was granted...Thank you...Whoever you are...Thank you" Kai whispers, and starts crying. He's alive again. Here in the flesh. He can cry too.

"I-it's really you!" Taemin sobs as he flings himself into Kai's arms.

"A christmas miracle..." Kai whispers and holds Taemin.

"God it was torture being able to see you and not being able to touch you...." Kai says after they both calm down.

"What do you mean?..." Taemin slurs slightly, still attached to Kai. "You've been with me? How long?..."

"I've been there since the moment you found out...An entire year...I wanted to tell you somehow, but i couldn't touch anything..." Kai says. "Can you sit up and look at me, please? There's something I've been dying to do for over a year now..."

Taemin sits up and looks at Kai. Kai stares at him and stokes Taemin's cheek with his thumb slightly.

"What is it you've been wanting to do?" Taemin slurs.

Kai leans foreward and kisses Taemin passionately. He smiles when he feels Taemin kiss back, but gets sick to his stomach when he tastes all the alcohol. He pulls away and looks at Taemin pouting.

"As much as I loved kissing you again. You know i hate alcohol." Kai says. Taemin covers his mouth ashamed and slurs an apology.

"It's ok baby. Let's get you home and get you to bed." Kai says, causing Taemin to pout.

"But what if when I wake up, you're gone?" Taemin asks.

"I won't be. Now come on." Kai says and carries Taemin home. He puts him in bed and crawls in next to him.

"I love you, Kai. Oh, and Merry Christmas." He slurs.

"I love you too, Taemin, and Merry Christmas." Kai says and kisses Taemin's head goodnight. Finally, they were together again. And this time, they were very sure it would be forever.


A/N: Wow this is longer than I thought it would be. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Dont forget to subscribe, upvote, and comment.