The Truth (Part 18)

Sprout
Summary:Aiba remembered his purpose of finding Sakurai in the first place and he gets an unexpected reply.
 


Aiba decided to stay at Sakurai’s house for the next two months before their vacation was over. It was a little odd of a decision, but Sakurai didn’t mind at all. In fact, Sakurai had asked -- almost begged -- him to stay like he really needed him.

“About my mom,” Aiba began as he and Sakurai went about the kitchen to make lunch. Today, they were making home-made sushi so they didn’t have to spend as much money on takeout. Besides, Aiba was a pro at it because his own father taught him how to make sushi like they do in those restaurants; Sakurai was just there as a helping hand and to come to Kazu’s need. “I’m sorry. It’s just that she’s expecting so much for me and she doesn’t really accept this kind of relationship.”

“No, it’s okay. You don’t have to apologize. I would understand why your mother would be angry. I’m the one who’s sorry and I shouldn’t have left like that.”

“What are you sorry for?”

“That I fell for you.”

“E-eh?” Aiba breathed nervously. So this relationship that barely started, it was for nothing?

“No, it’s not what you’re thinking,” Sakurai immediately said as if he had heard his thoughts. “I don’t regret falling for you at all, but after what your mom said… I might not be the right person for you.”

Aiba stopped what he was going altogether and turned around to embrace Sakurai. “You are the right person for me! So what if I’ve never ever been in a relationship until now? I know it when something is right. This feels right, too.”

“I’m glad that you feel that way. I do feel it too, but I don’t know. The reason why I left without saying that night was because--”

All of a sudden, Kazu began crying. Aiba had forgotten that it was already time to feed him because he was suddenly occupied with Sakurai’s doubts. But he had to put that aside for now as he rushed towards his son after washing his hands.

“I’m so sorry my baby,” Aiba apologized to his son as he gently rocked Kazu in his arms. “Papa will feed you now.”

“I-I’m sorry, Masaki. I should have went to tend Kazu instead.”

“No, that’s okay,” Aiba grinned as he grabbed a bottle of warm milk and placed the in Kazu’s mouth. “Kazu is my responsibility after all. Um, about what you were trying to say…”

“About that…” Sakurai sighed as he scratched the back of his head. “I really don’t know how to explain it, but I’ll say it in simpler terms: I’m diagnosed with Dependent Personality Disorder. The doctors say it’s not as serious because I’ve been taking my medicines. So the reason why I left was because I thought I was going to lose you. I had to leave before my symptoms start acting up again."

Aiba remained silent as Sakurai explained about how his illness developed. When Sakurai was young, he grew up in a wealthy household and he was always tended to by his nanny, the maids, their father's butler, and especially his parents. He grew up with their dependency that he was unable to live on his own unless there was someone to take care of him. He was fine then, until the day his own mother had left without saying anything and later came back with divorce papers; he was only ten then. When he turned twelve, his parents finally filed for a divorce and went their separate ways: his father resigned from the company he owned as CEO and his mother to another man. Sakurai lost everyone he grew so close to, even his own mother who refused to talk to her own children and his father who became a drunk. A year later, he was diagnosed with Dependent Personality Disorder after almost dying from failing to take care of himself. He never would have thought that the doctor was suffering from some mental illness, but then that explains why the doctor asked him to stay.

“It’s alright for you to leave me, Masaki. I don’t think it’s too late.”

Aiba frowned. How could he say that? Of course it’s too late because he’s already fallen for him too, and there was no way he was going to give this all up when they’ve just barely started their adventure. So what if Sakurai had a mental disorder? At least, with him by Sakurai’s side, he’d help him overcome his mental illness. It was worth a shot. “I’m not leaving you,” Aiba finally said out loud as he turned around to face the astonished doctor. “In fact, it makes me want to be with you more. Kazu and I will help you with your illness.”

“R-really?” The doctor began to smile and the world seemed better once again. “It’s going to be tough, Masaki.”

“I’ll accept any challenges.”

“Thank you!” Sakurai bursted into tears as he embraced Aiba and Kazu. “I’ll try my best for us. I will.”

Aiba grinned and returned the embrace with an arm. “You’re welcome. Thanks for telling me, or I never would have known.”

“Yeah, I’ve been meaning to tell you when the time was right. I just didn’t expect it would be so soon.”

“The sooner the better,” Aiba giggled as he pulled away and lightly pecked Sakurai on the lips. “Now, about the sushi…”

“Ah, right! I’ll help you out,” Sakurai grinned enthusiastically as he took big steps towards the kitchen. He almost tripped along the way and Aiba snorted back his laughter. For a very talented pediatrician, he’s pretty clumsy and Aiba found it adorable. As he watched Sakurai clumsily cut the carrots into many shapes, he felt that everything was just right: he has a son, and he found the person he’s been waiting for all along. Grinning, he kissed Kazu’s chubby cheeks, thanking his son for bringing light to his life.

As he and Sakurai resumed with making sushi, he suddenly remembered his sister-in-law’s words about his and Kazu’s future. He had totally forgotten about it because of the whole situation with Sakurai. Since he and Sakurai were now going steady, did that mean-- He recalled the dream he had back then when he and Sakurai were wearing golden wedding bands on their fingers and were taking care of Kazu as a toddler…

“Masaki? What’s wrong? You’re red!”

Aiba snapped out of his imagination as he came face to face with a worried Sakurai. He must have become a darker shade of red when Sakurai pressed his forehead against his to check if he has a fever.

“Normal temperature…” Sakurai mumbled and was about to pull away when Aiba slid his hand around the back of Sakurai’s neck.

“You would make a great father,” he grinned. “For my-- our, Kazu.”

“E-eh?” Sakurai breathed nervously as his cheeks turned a slight pink. He glanced at the living room where Kazu was currently playing with his toys and back at Aiba. “A father… to Kazu… I love the sound of that Masaki. I’ve never thought of it like that.”

“See, I had this dream where…” he explained to Sakurai about that dream where they were a family and there was nothing but happy smiles on their faces. Maybe that dream was how their future will be and that everything will go smooth from then on: raising Kazu with a bright future and parents who love him. He wondered if Kazu didn’t mind having two fathers…

Sakurai was grinning widely by the end, showering Aiba with kisses all over his face. “I would love for it to really happen. To become Kazu’s father and supporting the both of you with everything.”

“But what if Kazu doesn’t want two fathers?” Aiba asked with a frown. “What if he starts asking him where his mom is?” He thought about the possibility of Kazu ever asking these questions later in the future when he sees a normal family at the park.

“Then we tell him the truth,” Sakurai answered seriously. “We tell him as soon as he can understand the world around him.”

Aiba nodded in agreement. He knew the correct path to parenting was to never lie to your children because it would lead onto later consequences such as rebellion and distrust between parent and child. “I don’t want to lie to our Kazu.”

“Me too. He deserves the truth.”

“Good,” Aiba smiled in relief, glad that he and Sakurai were both on the same terms. “I want Kazu to be happy.”

“So do I.”

Just then, as if Kazu understood every single word they were discussing, they heard a happy babble coming from the living room. Sighing with awe, the both of them completely dropped the whole sushi thing and rushed over to Kazu, who babbled in a happy shrill as he saw his father -- no, his two fathers -- rush towards him with excited smiles on their faces. As Aiba held Kazu onto his arm, he stood beside Sakurai and thought of how this very image right now made them look like a real happy family…

In the end, they decided on take out sushi because they couldn’t take their eyes off Kazu.

End of Summer 2014
 
A/N: This is not the end of this series!