Movie Night

Movie Night

 


 

“What a day…”

 

She laid down on the couch, her exhaustion and lack of sleep weighing down completely on her form. The flashes of light and clicking of shutter sounds still fresh in her mind as she recalled the earlier events. A press conference in the morning, and the much awaited red carpet event leading up to the opening of the Japanese movie, which featured her as the first ever female Korean to star in it.

 

A sense of pride still lingered in her heart. It did not matter to her if the whole spectacle could have been much popular in reception. Hyomin had achieved something great in her years as an idol, and that was enough. As she curled up in her pink pyjamas, she can finally get her much needed-rest after an exuberating day.

 

Just as she was about to drift off to a dreamscape, the sound of her doorbell disturbed the tranquility. Hyomin slowly rose, her annoyance at the unexpected guest visible as she silently cursed over who would be visiting her at this time of night. Her much-needed rest would have to be put off for a few minutes, as she reluctantly made her way towards the security panel of her front door.

 

All feelings of crankiness and her own exhaustion were quickly forgotten when she saw who was currently standing outside her apartment. A petite girl with a neatly-cut short hairstyle, clad in a black sweater and faded jeans, was waving at the security camera and mouthing the words ‘open up’ at her. In a heartbeat, Hyomin rushed to the entrance to greet the late-night visitor.

 

“Hey, took you long enough,” the girl casually said with her hands tucked inside her pockets. “Hope you don’t mind me coming here without warning you first.”

 

Hyomin regarded her for a while before answering, “Of course I don’t mind. You’re always welcome here.” She took hold of one of her friend’s wrist and led her in, a softer expression now gracing her complexion as her tiredness completely faded away at the presence of this ball of sunshine. Even looking at her was enough to brighten up her mood.

 

She was Sunny after all.

 

After the shortie removed her sneakers, Hyomin dragged her to the dining room table which divided the joined living room and kitchen. “No offense Soonkyu but what are you doing here, by the way?” she asked while opening up the fridge to get some refreshments for her unexpected guest. “I thought you were busy with your comeback preparations.”

 

Taking a seat at the dining table, Sunny relaxed herself as she answered the question. “I was. But then I remembered something important happened today-” she took a glance at her watch which showed a quarter past midnight, “-actually it was yesterday but you get the idea.”

 

At the sound of the fridge closing, Sunny looked up to a green soda can being offered to her. With a word of thanks, she gratefully accepted the drink and opened the tab with a satisfying crack. The chair beside her was pulled out, now occupied by the owner of the apartment who harboured a sweet smile on her lips.

 

“You already told me you couldn’t come when I first invited you. Anyway, the reception for my movie was good enough, and I had a great time over at the premiere.If that was what you were worried about.”

 

“I know,” Sunny placed the can on the table after taking a sip. “Though that wasn’t what I actually came here for. The reason for my visit is because...I wanted to apologise.”

 

The taller brunette was taken aback, furrowing her brows into a concerned frown. “Apologise? Sunny, what are you even apologising for? You didn’t even hurt me or anything.”

 

“Well, it’s true that I didn’t do anything bad. But I could have made your night a little more memorable if I was able to attend your big day.”

 

Hyomin stared at her friend, before releasing a cute giggle which made Sunny a tad embarrassed and wondered if she had said something wrong. That thought in her mind vanished when she felt arms wrapping themselves around her small figure. “Big day, huh?” the initiator of the hug teased. “You’re making it sound like I was getting married to someone.”

 

The petite girl realised the double meaning of her words before saying, “Okay, your second big day of your life.”

 

Pulling away slightly to look at her beloved friend clearly, Hyomin leaned her forehead against the other’s own, ignoring the close proximity of their faces and bodies at that very moment. “Can I tell you something, Soonkyu?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“You’ve already made this night more memorable than the second big day of my life.”

 

“...But I didn’t even do anything other than coming here uninvited in the middle of the night and taking your soda.”

 

“Why must you make everything so negative? I already said that you’re always welcomed here, and the soda was of my own generosity. The point is that you coming here just to apologise for not being able to show up at my movie premiere when I already knew that you can't attend it beforehand makes it memorably sweet. Honestly, Soonkyu."

 

"When you put it that way, it does sound mushier than I intended." The shortie sheepishly chuckled.

 

They both did not utter a word for a while, letting the comfortable silence say all the words that need not be said. An agreement shared bearing no words. There was no need for an apology or a declaration of forgiveness.

 

All was good.

 

All was well.

 

All was perfectly fine.

 

“Hyomin.”

 

“Yes?”

 

Sunny tightened her hold on the hem of her friend’s pink pyjama top, darting her eyes slightly to the side before locking eyes with her again. “When the DVD is released, let’s watch your movie together.”

 

Her lips curved upwards into a cheeky grin as she playfully poked at Sunny’s sides. “No spoilers?”

 

“Absolutely not,” the shortie lightly shoved Hyomin away with a deadpanned glare. “Don’t even think about it.”

 

“My character is like me but with a depressing backstory. Her boyfriend-”

 

“Hyomin!”

 

“You will cry at the scene where-”

 

“Shut it!”

 

A dejected pout was given in return.

 

Sunny heaved an exasperated sigh before ruffling up the crown of Hyomin’s head in a rough yet affectionate manner. “Sneaky little jinx be spoiling everything.”

 

Sharing a moment of hearty laughter with each other, Hyomin took the opportunity after it died down to swing an arm and rested it along Sunny’s shoulders. “Wanna make my night more memorable?” she asked as she wiggled her brows in a suggestive manner.

 

“Uh…”

 

“What are you thinking, silly? Let’s take a selca together! It’s been so long since we did that.”  

 

Out of nowhere, the enthusiastic actress pulled out her phone and set to work on taking a picture. Adjusting her position slightly nearer to her friend, Sunny looked at the camera and immediately did an ‘L’ shape with her hand and snugly placed it under her chin. “I heard that this is your trademark pose now. It kinda fits you nicely.”

 

“Thank you. I didn’t think you would research so much about my movie,” Hyomin gratefully said before winking at her playfully. “Ready?”

 

Sunny nodded, and they both posed for the camera. A couple of taps on the screen later, they both stayed close to each other after their photo-taking time was over.

 

“You know,” Hyomin began as she slid her hand down on top of Sunny’s, “we can always take up on your movie night offer and watch some right now. I mean, if you’re not too busy.”

 

Sunny returned the request with a bright smile. “Don’t worry, I always have time for you.”


 

END

 
 
 
 
Author's Note: And that is how the glorious selca was born.