Past to Present

Beautiful Target


Beautiful Target

A pair of black Converses stepped off the plane. The wind toyed with raven black hair playfully. The figure breathed in the fresh air deeply, missing the freedom of being outdoors immensely after spending hours crammed inside a tight contraption. A smile flitted across his face.

"Welcome to Korea," he whispered happily. It's been so long since he last came here. Oh, how he missed this beautiful country!

"Oi, kid, move," a gruff voice said from behind him. "Some of us actually have flights to catch."

Oh! Shoot! Harry quickly flung himself out of the way. His previous position blocked the other passengers from getting off. Cheeks burning from embarrassment, Harry bowed in apology to the passing people now free to exit. He felt guilty as he watched some passengers run toward different gates, no doubt late for another flight.

Good job, moron. Five minutes here and you already made a fool of yourself, he sighed as he made his way to the luggage train. He couldn't help that he's a little absent-minded! Harry tugged at his hair in exasperation.

Okay, I have got to stop talking to myself otherwise people will start thinking I'm crazy.

Too late now, people are staring.

Ah!

Harry turned his head to see a few faces looking at him weirdly.

Just act natural.

The brunet hurriedly grabbed his suitcase and rapidly walked out of the airport. He played with the strap of his small knapsack as he stood on a street corner. After a few minutes of staring across the road and watching as the light turned green, Harry realized he needed to know something vitally important before he could start walking.

Where does his friend live again?


Four Years Ago

Harry handed the smiling lady his completed course selection form before walking out of the Great Hall, his friend following after him.

Opening the grand oak doors, he was fully expecting but only half-prepared for the bundle of bushy brown hair that launched itself at him.

"How'd it go? What classes did you pick? Any AP? Oh, I hope we'll be together! What language did you select? I picked French, of course. But how did it go?"

Harry spat out the strands of frizzy hair that got into his mouth from her sudden attack.

"Mione! Let him breathe, why don't you?" Ron said exasperatedly, rolling his eyes at her.

"Well, I would, Ronald, if he answered my questions," she replied back but stepping away nonetheless.

"He can't answer if you're practically—"

"It was good," interjected Harry.

"That's nice to hear," the girl smiled.

The trio made their way out of Hogwarts High School into the bright sunlight, walking around until they found their self-proclaimed Whomping Willow Tree. Settling themselves on the fresh green grass, the three continued their conversation. Ron laid on his back, using a stray root as a pillow. Harry leaned against the trunk of the giant tree while Hermione sat comfortably yet modestly with her legs folded to the side, characteristically of women wearing skirts.

"You still didn't answer my questions!"

"German," Ron replied lazily, basking in the shade, looking much like the weasel Malfoy always labeled him as he burrowed into the cold grass.

"Of course you would," huffed Hermione, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Please, you didn't simply select it because it was quote 'the manliest out of all the languages there'?" she asked rhetorically, frowning disapprovingly at the phrase she overheard him saying earlier.

"At least it doesn't sound stuck-up like French!" Ron retorted. "The 'language of love,' something you want to tell us, Mione?"

The brunette bristled, preparing to lash out in a lecture when Harry intervened, like usual.

"I picked Korean."

She gave him a shocked look.

"I know," Ron told her, "I couldn't believe it either."

He turned toward his other best friend. "You could've picked German, then we would've been in the same class!"

"But, Harry! Korean is virtually useless unless you actually go to Korea! It's not too late to change it. We'll go see your counselor tomorrow. I'm sure she'll change it—"

"Hermione!" Harry rolled his eyes. "I expected you to be the one to encourage my decision, not go against it."

The disappointment in his eyes made shut with an audible click. Even Ron, the loudmouth that he was, sat silently.

"Weren't you guys the ones that told me to follow my heart no matter what? Well, that's what I'm doing," Harry ranted, eyeing his friends. "I want to learn Korean, and I'm taking it anyway, no matter what you say, because that's what you taught me to do."

As the two soaked in the information, Harry took a deep breath, satisfied to be the one lecturing Hermione after being on the receiving end of her many lectures.

She lowered her head in shame.

"You're right. I'm just worried that once we separate, we won't be friends anymore."

Clenching her fists into a painful white, her voice faded as she finished her thought. A silence overtook the three friends.

"Hermione," Ron began, "You're pretty stupid despite being top of the class."

Her head shot up, preparing to deliver a snappy comeback.

"What he means is," Harry glared at their insensitive friend, "that we'll never leave your side, even if we're in different classes."

Hermione smiled tiredly.

"I guess I'm worrying over nothing."

"Why'd you pick Korean anyway?" Ron asked curiously.

"Just wanted to watch as we diverge onto our different paths."

The blank look on the redhead's face should have been expected.

Hermione's back straightened as it suddenly dawned on her.

"You wanted us to not depend so much on each other anymore! Because if we don't reach out, explore new things, and meet new people, we won't be able to reach our full potential!"

She stared at Harry with new eyes. Ron just looked at them, alarmed. When had Harry blossomed into the insightful young man that was sitting before them?

"I never knew you thought like that, Harry," Hermione whispered, awed.

Harry smiled cryptically before tilting his head back, looking at the clear, blue sky, peeking out from the forest green foliage of the trees, the breeze blowing strands of his hair in front of his face, blocking his striking emerald eyes.

"Plus, wouldn't it be cool if we all spoke different languages during lunch or something?"

Hermione gaped at him incredulously while Ron sweat-dropped. Yep, that sounded more like Harry.


That's it for now. I have a whole bunch of things planned for this story, can't believe a little bunny grew into what it will be. Who do you think Harry should end up with? The romance won't come in until later because I still need to add some background information in here. Well, until next time! - Aldira~