A Clean Start

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

“So… So Eun –ssi.”

So Eun smiled, amused, narrowing her gaze. “Don’t be formal with me, oppa. I’m four years younger than you, you know. And have some of the seaweed soup I made. It’s unbelievably good.”

She pushed the plastic bowl in front of him and urged him to try.

“It’s delicious. Thank you, So Eun –ssi.”

So Eun felt a sudden wave of disappointment wash over her. One would think she should’ve been deliriously happy to receive praises, but So Eun found Jae Rim’s compliment somewhat unsatisfying.

So Eun had hoped he would belittle her cooking skills in his typical teasing manner.

 

So Eun picked at the filth in her nails, wishing she had anything to say- anything to do, other than to trade brief polite comments and wait for the awkward hours to pass by. She didn’t have much time to spare; Min Young would be coming soon.

“Would you like to take a walk?” So Eun piped up, breaking the dreadful silence. She watched Jae Rim’s composure slack, and the air around him shift.

“If you’re too exhausted for that, I understand. I’ll be visiting a lot of time, so we can always take walks. I just thought it would be nice to get some fresh air, since the hospital’s so suffocating, and I happened to see a really nice rose garden outside the hospital, and-“

So Eun felt two slim fingers press upon her lips and her eyes trailed to them, before her face erupted with color.

Jae Rim grinned at her wolfishly. “Let’s go.”

 

 

It was better outside the hospital.

So Eun felt her heart at peace with the sunlight shining down at her, and she found herself breathing with much ease.

Also, she was able to smell Jae Rim properly, now that the hospital’s odor (of herbal medicine, kimchi, and granny’s shampoo) couldn’t act as a hindrance. Jae Rim’s scent brought her comfort, and gave her energy and confidence a boost.

Maybe it was because her inner lascivious self started becoming active now a days, but how could she resist? Jae Rim smelled so good. He smelled masculine, due to his cologne and his aftershave, perhaps, but he also smelled clean, like baby powder, or like the laundry detergent her mother would use. Point is, he smelled absolutely delicious.

And as for Jae Rim… well, what could she say? She couldn’t keep her eyes off of him. Or his laryngeal prominence, anyway.

He faced the sky as he walked with her, side by side. His lips were curved into a light smile. He was completely relaxed and carefree… like his usual self. Nothing had changed, after all.

So Eun resisted (many, many times) the urge to link her arm around his, and snuggle closer. Four months ago, he would’ve welcomed her embrace. She wasn't so sure, anymore.

Her focus then dropped to his hands. Calloused finger tips, and graceful fingers. She missed holding hands with him, too. His hands had always been warm, even after they had made contact with her always ice cold hands.

A flash of silver brought her attention back to his fingers. A silver band on his ring finger had caused that flash.

So Eun could not fight the yelp that fought its’ way out of , and abruptly stopped walking.

Jae Rim, noticing the absence of the clomping sound her heels made, turned around immediately to look at her. So Eun then tried to shift her focus away from the ring, but she looked away a second too late.

“This?” Jae Rim asked her quizzically, lifting up his hand for her to examine. The silver band gleamed in the sunlight.

So Eun forced a crooked smile, ignoring the sudden heaviness of her heart. Her eyes seemingly did not have to courage to stare back into his. “Is that… a couple ring?”

He made no effort into coming up with a response, but So Eun had a million of questions to ask.

“With… Park Min Young –ssi?” So Eun’s voice was unnaturally small.

Jae Rim’s eyes never left her face; So Eun could feel it. “It’s an engagement ring.”

So Eun finally looked up at him, paralyzed, in pure shock. “An engagement ring.” So Eun stated, a bit more harshly. She was unable to keep the venom from seeping into her voice.

Jae Rim scrutinized every emotion legible on So Eun’s face. For some reason, every organ- every cell in his body was screaming at him, guilty, guilty, guilty. Jae Rim didn’t quite understand why he felt so uneasy about the engagement ring.

Wouldn’t it be right for him to marry someone he loved?

Nevertheless, he was overwhelmed, looking at So Eun’s somewhat disappointed face. It was as if he was caught cheating on her, or something.

He shouldn’t be. He hadn’t done anything wrong.

Had he?

“Is something wrong?”

So Eun eyelashes fluttered rapidly, and her composure straightened. “No, no, no. I didn’t say anything was wrong.” She sounded indignant. “I was just- a little bit shocked, that‘s all.”

“Con- Congratulations,” So Eun whispered heartlessly.

“Thank you,” came back Jae Rim’s curt reply.

“You- you should go back in the hospital now. Min- Min Young-ssi might be waiting,” So Eun stammered, after minutes of awkward silence.

Jae Rim took a hold of So Eun’s wrist gently. “Aren’t you coming?”

So Eun yanked her wrist out of his grasp in a hurry. When Jae Rim shot her a look of surprise, she flashed him an apologetic look, and managed a small yet indescribably sad grin. “I have to go home.”

He nodded; a dazed expression plastered on his face. “Thank you for everything today, So Eun –ssi.” He turned around, and trudged his way back in the hospital.

As soon as he left, So Eun kicked her heels off, and walked home.

 

 

As soon as she got home, her eyes started welling up with tears.

Again. Just how many times had she cried this month alone?

She was not one to cry, as an independent woman. She had been raised up by two extremely busy parents, and had to take care of her little sister. Even at a young age, she had been mature, and reasonable.

She's been crying an awful lot lately.

Now that Jae Rim was engaged, and to another woman, she would never get to tell him that she loved him with all the fiber of her being. She’d never get to say that she’d loved him all along, after all this time, and that she was sorry it took a stupid car crash to get her to realize her feelings for him. She would never get to say how sorry she was for not realizing sooner.

And she would never get to hear him say that he loved her back.

She could always tell him whatever she wanted to, So Eun supposed.

But that would be extremely selfish of her.

He was finally happy with Park Min Young, after the car accident that caused him to go through so much pain. So Eun couldn’t interfere with Jae Rim’s happiness by budging into their relationship. That wouldn’t be fair for him.

She couldn’t do that to him. She’d have to keep her feelings to herself.

So Eun remembered the morning earlier, when she had been determined to break Park Min Young away from Jae Rim. She snorted, chuckling to herself. Break them apart? Yeah right.

So Eun stepped into bed, without even bothering to change her clothes. Sleep through your hardships, and you’ll feel lighter than a feather the following day, her mom used to say. Will do.

Faint heart never won fair lady, her mother also used to say.

And that was the last thought that crossed into So Eun’s mind before her two eyes closed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm back! Yaaaaassss!

I'm sorry for the delay; it's been a month or so. But in my defense, I was crazy busy with my AP classes. Plus I have an Ap test two weeks from now.

Okay, just shoot me. That was a lame excuse.

Actually, don't. Or who would finish the story for me?

Either way. The next chapter should be updated pretty quickly, because I'm already 40% done with it.

Please comment. Your comments really get me motivated. :) :)

Big shout out to the new upvotes and my new subscribers.

You guys rock. :)

SoshiYul9: You go, girl! Wait, hold on to that selfie stick until the end of the story, because Park Min Young unnie has to play as the main supporting role until then. :)

skyraine: Thanks, skyraine. You always seem to understand the concept I'm going for. But you know what they say: Great minds think alike. :)

elf_momo96: Thanks for staying faithful. Hahaha. I have a surprise for all my faithful supporters the next chapter, so stay tuned!

zh2904: The competitive So Eun: The girl everybody loves. :) Get ready for the next chapter; I have a guest starring in the next chapter, and trust me, you'll love the guest as much as you love So Eun.

veni-vidi-vici: Thank you. I really love Park Min Young too, and no, she's not that bad of a person. Of course, the Min Young here isn't much of a cliche mean girl, either. She does have a heart. But I do plan on making her just a little bit snobby, just to spark up the drama. :) After all, where's the fun in a story without a saucey chick to ruin the main character's life?  Hahaha.

 

More News!

I have a fun guest starring in the next chapter!

I'm also thinking about adding one of the readers as a cameo in the yet to come chapters.

If you're interested in becoming that cameo, try to guess the guest that will be starring next chapter. The first person to guess correctly will be the cameo, and the second person to guess correctly will become the backup cameo. You know, kind of like an understudy.

Just leave the names in the comments.  ;)

And yes, you can guess more than once.

The deadline is by the next Friday, because the next chapter will be posted by next Saturday.

We good? Haha.

.....

....

....

....

Here's a hint: The birthplace of the guest is in Gwangju, Korea.

Good Luck to y'all.