The New Slave

Of Kings, Conquests and Royal Slaves
"Seungyeon!" she called when she heard a knock on the door. The maid did not appear, there were more knocks on the door.
 
She fussed with her dress, "Seungyeon! Where is that girl?"
 
"I'm here! I'm so sorry, Your Highness," a petite little girl scurried out and rushed to the doors. She opened them and immediately bowed low, but the visitor paid no notice of her and walked right in.
 
"Hello my Princess!" Jung Min beamed as he stepped in to see the beautiful lady adjusting her gown with the assistance of another maid. The Princess inhaled before laughing a shimmering laughter, "oreoboni!"
 
Jung Min stepped forward to embrace her, lifting her off the ground and spinning her in a small circle. "How are you today?" he asked, giving her nose a light squeeze. 
 
"I woke up from a nightmare!" she half whined as she clinged onto his arm, "I dreamt that the kingdom ran out of cheese!"
 
"Cheese?" Jung Min chuckled. "However did you survive in that dream then?"
 
The Princess wrinkled her nose at her brother, "thank the good heavens it was just a dream. But anyway, what brings you here, oreoboni?"
 
Jung Min chuckled again, "I thought I'd come pick my Gyuri up before we head into the garden. Are you ready to leave?"
 
"Yes, I am just done, " she beamed, pulling her brother out of the chamber, "I heard the Duke and his son is eating with us today?"
 
"Yes, they are."
 
"I hope mother isn't in such a sour mood," Gyuri pouted as they walked down the halls with their small entourage behind them. "She's always in such a sour mood. Either that, or she's drunk."
 
Jung Min laughed, even though the word mother made him cringe. "Maybe our Gyuri will also become like that when you are a queen."
 
The girl frowned, "late mother was not like that."
 
Late mother. The Prince nodded as they turned a corner with hands still interlocked, "yes, indeed she wasn't. How is your schooling? Did you cause a lot of trouble for your tutor?"
 
"Yah, oreoboni! I don't cause trouble! I'm a star pupil, just like you and Dong Min oreoboni were," the Princess yapped.
 
"Really? Just a week ago Father heard from Scholar Shim that you hid all his scrolls in the latrine," Jung Min smiled. His words caused his sister to stop abruptly in her tracks, her free hand going onto her hips, "he told father that?"
 
The Prince nodded, giving her forehead a light push before pulling her along, "you're lucky Yunho was there to speak for you."
 
"Aish, Tutor Shim," Gyuri muttered to herself as they came to the flight of stairs that led to the gardens, "and I thought he wouldn't find out."
 
Jung Min saw that the Queen and her visitors were already there under the tents, with servants fussing around in preparation for the meal. "Gyuri-ah. Remember this. The palace walls are always thin," he said as his last sentence before he lifted his head up and descended the stairs.
 
With his sister still in his hand, he slowly approached the tent where the Queen was. The little congregation saw them approach, but only Jung Min could sense that his servant Kyu Jong cowered a little behind him.
 
"Your Majesty," Jung Min bowed deep as he came nearer. His eyes flashing at the Queen's servants for the briefest second, noticing that they were slightly smirking past him -- to Kyu Jong. Gyuri, at his side, bowed as well.
 
"Your Highnesses," the visitors behind the Queen greeted. It was the Duke and his son. 
 
"A pleasure to have the two of you with us this morning," the Queen said, but Jung Min knew it was a gesture of pure courtesy. He was careful to hang a smile on his face as the small group of royalty sat around the dining table.
 
"The Prince and Princess are becoming even more charming," the Duke said, perhaps also a gesture of pure courtesy. Jung Min nodded and gave his thanks, conscious that Gyuri was beaming from cheek to cheek. "My condolences to the late Crown Prince, your brother. How difficult it must have been for the two of you."
 
"Thank you, I appreciate that," Jung Min said, "yes, it's been hard on us to lose someone so close."
 
"And naturally you will take his place, Your Highness?" the Duke replied as the Queen flagged the servants to start the meal.
 
"Yes, that is the plan," Jung Min nodded with a polite smile.
 
"It must be exciting."
 
"Perhaps not so, considering that I am, first and foremost, in mourning,” the Prince tilted his head ever so slightly to look at the Duke.
 
"Ah, yes of course," the Duke cleared his throat, "but rumour has it Prince Jung Min never fancied the spot?"
 
"Rumours," Jung Min smiled, "rumours say everything, Sir. Why pay attention?"
 
"Ah, but rumours can predict the smoothness or your ascension, my Prince," the Duke said as the servants proceeded to lift the covers off the platters, "and they can also warn you about the people who might want to usurp what is yours to inherit."
 
"Perhaps." Jung Min bowed slightly to the Duke as a sign of the end of their conversation. He waited for the Queen to begin eating before he started on his meal. The Princess and the Duke's son followed after him in silence before the Queen brought up the topic of seasonal hunting. "The Grizzlies have come out of hibernation, my sister. Shall we embark on a hunting trip?" the Duke asked, crowfeet forming at the corner of his eyes as he smiled. 
 
“Oh yes, why that is a splendid idea,” the Queen replied elatedly. And so on and on they went with their conversations on which are the best hunting grounds, whether or not they should grace the gladiator arena instead and something about the castle bringing in new slaves that day. The Queen also made many references to the Duke’s son, and it was obvious that she favoured her nephew more than the Prince and Princess.
 
Jung Min ate most of the meal in silence, observing all etiquettes as required of a royal, only speaking when he was spoke to. Gyuri was a little restless, but nevertheless she followed her brother’s lead and did the same. 
 
“Your Princess has grown to be so beautiful,” the Duke said after awhile.
 
“Yes, she has, hasn’t she,” his sister replied, looking at Gyuri with a smile that Jung Min could not tell if it was genuine or not.
 
“Of marrying age, soon, I suppose?” the middle aged man asked.
 
“Yes, soon she will be,” the Queen answered. Gyuri smiled back before looking at Jung Min, who wore an unreadable expression on his face. Gyuri looked back at her plate and decided she should not speak.
 
“And who will be the lucky Prince Consort?"
 
“That is for His Majesty to decide, of course. There has been no plans as of yet, but do you have anyone to suggest, my brother?"
 
“There is no one in my mind worthy of the King’s jewel,” the Duke chuckled, “even if it were my son, I would consider him the luckiest man alive."
 
The Duke’s son immediately looked towards his father while the Queen scanned him head to chest, “would you submit an application in his name if the announcement is made?"
 
Gyuri tilted her head up at that instant. Marriage? Nobody told her anything about marriage. She looked towards Jung Min hoping for a reaction, but the latter showed none, only focusing on slicing the salad on his plate. She looked at the Queen, who smiled (almost like a smirk) at her. “But father said nothing about marriage,” she couldn’t bottle her exasperation.
 
The Queen chuckled now (almost like a cackle), “of course, it is still a little early. But coming to think of it, dear Gyuri, you don’t really know Earl Hyung Jun, do you?"
 
Gyuri looked at the Duke’s son, who instantly looked back and bowed. Before she could say anything, the Queen suggested, “why don’t you tour the royal gardens with him for a little bit? He is after all your cousin."
 
The Princess looked at her brother, who showed no reaction again. “Yes, that’s a splendid idea. Hyung Jun, accompany the Princess, will you? I will be heading to the Throne Room to visit His Majesty,” the Duke said as his son nodded in compliance before the middle-aged man stood up and bade goodbye to the royal family.
 
The Earl named Hyung Jun stood up shortly after at the encouragement of the Queen, went over to Gyuri’s seat and offered her a hand. Gyuri looked at him with uncertainty, but took the hand and allowed herself to be led into the gardens with her servants tailing after the pair. Shortly after, Jung Min placed his cutleries down and took up the towel to gently wipe his lips. “I am done with my meal, Your Majesty. May I please be excused?"
 
“Jung Min,” the Queen tore her eyes from the two fluttering in the gardens to look slowly at the Prince. “Yes, Your Majesty?” Jung Min answered, his face tranquil.
 
“News might have reached you, but your father will not be taking it well to find out that you have been channelling resources to peasants,” the Queen replied, her tone remarkably different from just awhile ago. Jung Min looked at the table before looking back at her, careful not to stare into her eyes for too long, “those are my possessions, Your Majesty. I only gave what belongs to me."
 
“What belongs to you?” the Queen chuckled a little, “don’t everything belong to the King?" Jung Min looked away, but the Queen continued, “channelling the castle’s wealth to peasants and buying slaves their freedom, that’s artificially altering and indirectly uprooting the class system of our society. In your moment of folly, you may perceive your actions to have little valid consequence. But what you are truly doing is threatening the social order of the kingdom."
 
“Your Majesty,” Jung Min said frustratedly.
 
“You are a Prince. It is your duty to protect and uphold what royalty is obliged to protect and uphold,” the Queen pursed her lips, “you were originally doomed for the monastery or the military as all second sons are. But now your father is actually finalising your ascension to the crown after he passes. What will he do if you continue to go against the order of things?"
 
“Your Majesty,” Jung Min tried to reason again, but the Queen would not have it.
 
“Even servants know how to keep themselves in check,” the Queen said sarcastically. And that was when Jung Min blew.
 
“I thank you for your concern. But since you've said it, I would like to see your servants keep themselves in check, Your Majesty,” the Prince clenched his teeth.
 
“What are you trying to imply?" the Queen almost shrieked, hands gripping the table cloth.
 
“Yes, as you’ve said. Even servants know how to keep themselves in check,” Jung Min looked at the two servants behind the Queen, “then please, have your servants touch mine no more."
 
“What are you trying to accuse me of?” the Queen looked at him, before turning back to her servants, whose expressions gave enough explanation. She pursed her lips again, brows furrowed and she exhaled angrily. The servants knew in that instant that they were in deep trouble. It took her only a second for her to adjust her facial expression, before turning back to the Prince. “I assure you that I knew nothing of it, but will look into the matter. However, for you, until you have the crown, Jung Min, you father’s decision can change. You will find yourself in a better position if you constantly remember who you really are — even royal children are but pawns. And I would whole heartedly suggest that you halt all these foolish things and this foolish behaviour of yours. And with a great deal of luck, maybe you will really become King."
 
Jung Min kept his expression serene, bowing slightly again,  "I will try my utmost best to comply with your teachings, Your Majesty. Now, may I please be excused?"
 
The Queen was already too agitated to speak, and so she waved him off irritatedly.
______________________________________
 
"Do you have a lot of chores today?" the Prince asked, looking out towards the city from behind the tall arched windows. The servant stood just behind him, savouring the longing expression the Prince wore every time he gazed out of the glass. The afternoon light reflected off his face, and the Prince momentarily smiled in the warmth. He stood straight, with all the poise of a marble statue and all the regality of a royal, hands clasped behind his back. Kyu Jong once again swore he saw perfection.
 
"Kyu?" the Prince turned around at the dazed servant.
 
“Yes? Yes," the servant jumped a little, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, “no, I mean no! I don't have a lot of chores, but there's a new batch of slaves entering the castle."
 
The Prince laughed lightly, stepping away from the light and approached Kyu Jong. The latter's heart fluttered. "Or so I've heard," the royal came just a foot away from him, "you may be excused, you know. I think I'll spend the rest of the day reading."
 
"Are you sure you don't need me?" Kyu Jong asked as he felt the Prince slowly taking his hands into his. "I could brew you tea and prepare some cushions before I go?"
 
The Prince shook his head, “even though I’m sure I can’t live without you, at least let me try and manage on my own."
 
“Why?” the servant asked, a tinge of worry flashed across his eyes, “it’s not like I’ll stop serving you."
 
“Yes,” the Prince kissed Kyu Jong’s knuckles softly before putting them back down, “you’re stuck with me for your whole life, Kyu. I’m not going to let you go. But meanwhile, let me prove to myself I’m not entirely useless."
 
“You aren’t,” Kyu Jong smiled, willing his weak heart to stop fluttering in his chest and his cheeks to stop burning, but it was tough to do both at the same time. The Prince released one of Kyu Jong’s hand and cupped the servant’s face, the older man dead sure he would have felt the heat on his cheeks. But if Jung Min did, he showed no signs of it. Instead, the Prince leaned in and kissed Kyu Jong’s lips, the latter freezing on the spot.
 
Suddenly, there was a knock followed by the opening of the doors. “Your Highness,” the door closed and in walked Hyun Joong. Kyu Jong’s eyes widened, letting out a little squeak before immediately pulling away from his master. He turned away, the heat in his cheeks spreading all over his neck and ears and his heart pounding hard. “I’m sorry,” Hyun Joong spoke softly as he came forward, bowing to the Prince.
 
“It’s alright, Hyun Joong, you’re forgiven,” Jung Min said, laughing a little as he looked at the flustered Kyu Jong. The latter clearly wanting to bury himself in a hole now. “You can go now, Kyu, Hyun Joong will be here with me. Go make new friends,” the Prince smiled, clearly fascinated at Kyu Jong’s reaction.
 
Kyu Jong turned and looked at him, but consciously keeping his eyes away from Hyun Joong. “Okay, I’ll be back at supper, or first thing tomorrow morning," he smiled sheepishly before he excused himself and practically ran out of the room after hearing Hyun Joong chuckle softly.
 
“How are you, Hyun Joong?” the Prince asked the servant as they walked towards the little library in his chambers.  “I’ve been good, Sir,” he replied, head slightly bowed as he walked behind his master.
 
“It looks like you’re never going to wash off the honorifics, huh,” Jung Min pursed his lips slightly as he went around the bookshelves. The servant stood a few feet away, “I’m sorry, I’m used to it."
 
“Then be unused to it, won’t you?” he said, picking a few books and walking towards the ebony desk.
 
“Yes, Sir,” Hyun Joong replied with a bow.
 
Jung Min eyed the servant and sighed before opening his books. Being a Prince wasn’t all about the balls and the beautiful maidens that melted at his feet. Being a Prince was also about all the boring afternoons where he had to stay in his chamber, wasting his youth away, wondering what was out there and pondering if he could anything other than a royal.
______________________________________
 
Kyu Jong’s heart did not pound this time. Instead, it thundered and contracted in his ribcage. It shrivelled and shrank, shaking in its spot, just like his body did as he moved backwards with every step. “Ple-Please,” his voice trembling almost too violently as he felt himself hit the wall behind him. Now he had nowhere to run. The two men continued to approached him, one in rage, the other smirking, until they were only three feet away.
 
Kyu Jong pressed himself against the wall, willing his body to stop shivering. His sleeve was already torn, revealing the scars that were trying to heal. “How dare you,” the slightly bigger man hissed into Kyu Jong’s ear. He had stepped so close the man could almost feel Kyu Jong’s throbbing heart. The other one behind him was still smug.
 
“Ji-Jiyoung…please,” Kyu Jong begged, his voice breaking.
 
The man frowned, and in the two second he stepped back and his face darkened. Fists clenched, he swung his arm across Kyu Jong’s face, punching him squaring in the jaw. The slave fell to the floor under the impact of the blow, blood darkening the corners of his mouth. Kyu Jong trembled, trying to support himself with his hands, but the man named Jiyoung grabbed him by his collar and yanked him back up. Pushing him back against the wall, he swung his arm again, this time into Kyu Jong’s stomach. The contortion of the latter’s abdomen forced him to cough violently, smearing his lips with blood. He wanted to sink to the ground, but the hand on his collar was strong. He released a soft cry. “How dare you, you dirty slave,” the man hissed into his ear again, “ratting on us now? You think that will save you?"
 
“Pl-Please,” Kyu Jong begged, the pain formed tears in his eyes as he held onto the man’s hands, pleading them off his collar. Blood trickled down from the corners of his mouth. "P-please..le..let me g-go."
 
“Let you go? You are forgetting your place, you little rat. I have to make sure you learn your lesson,” the man bellowed before releasing his clutch on Kyu Jong. Kyu Jong’s body immediately gave way and he fell to the ground, hands going immediately to his stomach. Jiyoung turned around and looked at the other man, “Seunghyun, see to it he never forgets.” The man flashed the slave a dark glare before he walking off.
 
If it was even possible, the one named Seunghyun smirked even wider as he moved closer to Kyu Jong. “Stand up,” he said monotonously, looking down at the slave and kicking him a little.
 
Kyu Jong tried to get back up on his feet, wincing and stumbling as he wiped the blood away from his mouth. Seunghyun edged even closer, until his body was pressed against Kyu Jong’s. That didn’t stop the latter from trembling, hands holding onto the wall for support. “Kyu Jong,” the man spoke in a softer voice, breathing against Kyu Jong’s neck. With one hand, he cupped the slave's cheeks and made the slave face him. “The offer is still open,” he muttered, “give yourself to me and I’ll let you go without telling Jiyoung."
 
Kyu Jong swallowed a sob, instantly wriggling away when he felt Seunghyun's tongue on his neck, “ple-please, don’t.” He felt a stab in his heart as he thought of Jung Min.
 
The other man put one hand on the wall to prevent Kyu Jong from moving away, and tilted his body slightly to block the other direction. He looked at the slave, his free hand snaking underneath Kyu Jong’s shirt to caress his flesh. Kyu Jong released a small cry of pain as he felt a pang where he was hit earlier. He tried to push away that hand from below his shirt. “Please."
 
Seunghyun ignored the plea. Now he was pissed. His hands snaking back up the slave’s tunic, this time more aggressively fondling the skin as he and nibbled all over Kyu Jong’s neck. “Just give yourself to me,” he demanded, hands impatiently trying to move down the slave’s pants. Kyu Jong sobbed in pain, shaking his head furiously as he pushed the man away with all his strength.
 
His strength wasn’t much, and Seunghyun merely staggered. The man pulled back and stared at Kyu Jong menacingly, “I will hit you until you can walk no more. Will you still reject my offer?"
 
Kyu Jong looked at the man with pained eyes, "then hit me."
 
“Do you have a death wish?” Seunghyun hissed in disbelief.
 
“Please hit me,” Kyu Jong repeated in a whisper before looking away.
 
And so Seunghyun did. He grabbed Kyu Jong and threw him onto the floor again. He did not understand why the slave could be so foolish. But he nodded, “I will make you regret this,” vowing as he cracked his neck and his knuckles. Kyu Jong landed painfully, groaning as he looked up at the intimidating and now enraged figure looming over his pathetic body. He swallowed thickly, and waited for the violence that ensued.
_________________________________________
 
“I don’t care who you have or have not served in that wretched lives of yours,” Jiyoung boomed from his place over the small hall filled with people standing neatly in three sections. The first, to his right, and the second, to his left, lined older slaves according to their positions and the masters they served. They were facing the middle section, where a small group of new slaves stood in a horizontal. Seven, to be exact, trembling, shifting around in their rags. “But this is the King’s castle, the heart of the kingdom. All your fairytales end right here."
 
“From now on, you will perform assigned tasks promptly and without hesitation. You will rise before dawn and rest only after the last royal retire. You will not stray from your delegated posts and you will not be caught in idle. You will not talk unless spoken to, you will not be found in an area you are not authorised to enter. You will be in constant reminder that you are not your own, that you belong to the King. You will not seek control over anything, and that applies also to your own thought,” Jiyoung continued, scanning the small line of newbies, looking at one in the line that caught his eye. He was scrawny and dark haired, but in the instances where he looked back up at Jiyoung, the man realised he had pretty good features. The little thing met Jiyoung in his eyes, flustering almost immediately before looking back onto the carpets.
 
“And while I know all of you are dim wits here and chances are you will be breaching one of these rules which will inevitably lead to punishment and torture. You will not forget the most important thing of all — that this castle, and pretty much the entire kingdom, runs on a hierarchy system. Royals. Hereditary Nobles. Non-hereditary nobles. Military. Merchants. Entertainers. Peasants (or Servants), and Slaves. That means you, at the very bottom of the food chain, will take orders from anyone above your rank. Orders go down this chain, the ones at the top get to overrule the ones from the lower tiers."
 
“And such hierarchy expands even within one rank. Her Majesty, the Queen, oversees the King’s household. Therefore, the Queen’s servants are ranked top. I have no need then, to stress any further, who is the biggest around here, do I?” he smirked, looking straight at that scrawny little slave he eyed. The slave immediately shook his head, bowing lower.
 
“What is your name?” Jiyoung asked. The older slaves looked on helplessly, passing on their sympathy through quick glances at the new batch.
 
“Yo-Young S-Saeng, Sir,” the slave replied back, closing his eyes in fear. Truthfully, there were slaves who understood everything Jiyoung said, mostly because they go through the same lecture with every new household they serve under. But it was different for Young Saeng, the man trembled to all this unfamiliar and new regime. He had just sold himself into slavery, he didn’t know what he was in for. And to be brutally honest, he was so afraid he didn’t even hear half the things the tyrant-i mean chief slave/servant/whatever he was-said.
 
“Young Saeng huh?” Jiyoung smirked again as he saw two people entering the hall. He looked at the new bunch of slaves again, “so bear these in mind, or you will find yourself in a situation where you face your execution, or worse, end up like that.” He lifted one finger to point at the entrance. The slaves turned to find Seunghyun walking with his head held high, with Kyu Jong in tow.
 
It wasn’t just Young Saeng, half the hall gasped softly. The man behind what seemed to be Jiyoung's partner-in-crime swayed and staggered as he fought to stay on his feet. The torn rags he wore exposed the wounds and cuts that he had received all over his torso. The cloth soaking a velvet red that even the ropes tied fastly around his hands were stained. Oddly enough, the man’s face was spared, his beautiful porcelain features unscarred. His half opened-eyes looked up, and instantly held Young Saeng’s gaze.
_________________________________________
 
Young Saeng kept in line, because that was the only wise thing to do, walking down the halls with the other slaves in front of him. He inhaled as he took in the grandeur of the castle. He had never, in his life of peasantry, ever seen such glory. From the great columns, the tapestries and the chandeliers to the plush furniture, mammoth windows and exquisite carvings on every inch of wall, he couldn’t believe his eyes. Even the carpet he walked on was probably worth more than him. He contrasted the majestic place to his humble home in the villages where the only few things he had in his cottage was a stool, a stove, and plenty of hay they took for bedding.
 
He looked at his feet and hoped that with the money he was bought for, his parents would not be stringent and finally buy themselves blankets. He sighed, looking back up at the ceilings that were so high and intimidating. He hugged his shoulders as he continued to walk. Honestly, he was afraid. What would become of him now that he had sold himself? He had expected to be bought by some noble, but not the king. All his life knew that the ruler of the kingdom lived in a giant castle at the heart of the land, but the story had been  so irrelevant and far-fetched to a farmer. Yet fate brought him here where the fairytales he heard about were actually at play.
 
It was especially difficult when the slaves around him knew exactly where they were going and what they were doing. Young Saeng was absolutely clueless. He just followed blindly until the head guard/servant/tourguide/whoeverthatwasanyway shouted his name, "Heo Young Saeng. This is your room." 
 
Young Saeng snapped out of his thoughts as he looked at the door towards his right, and back at the line of slaves who were quickly moving down the hall. He contemplated for a second, before deciding not to follow them on anymore. He took a deep breath and entered the room.
 
The door creaked a little at his push, but swinging open it revealed the little space to him. It wasn't big, just enough for two mattresses, a tiny wardrobe and a night stand. However, to Young Saeng it was opulent enough. The room even had one of those big arch windows that occupied one entire side of the wall, perfect for lighting.
 
He shifted around, it looks like he will be sharing a room. There were several items on one side of the night stand, and he assumed immediately that belonged to his roommate. So Young Saeng quietly walked to the other side of the room and sat on the mattress, wrapping his knees with his hands as he thought to himself.
 
He wasn't sure what to do next, should he be waiting here, or how was he suppose to know if he was required somewhere else?
 
It wasn't long until the doors creaked open again, entering two young men who were approximately his age. One was supporting the other, who seemed to be injured. Young Saeng stood up immediately, not wanting to take any risks for being rude to a superior.
 
His eyes widened slightly as he saw that the smaller of the two men was actually the one he met earlier in the hall, the one who had been badly beaten. The other, however, was a completely new face. In as far as he knew, this man wasn't present earlier.
 
"Be careful," the bigger of the two said, supporting the other man down onto the mattress. The skinnier one groaned, muffling whimpers of pain. Young Saeng winced, even though they did not notice him. 
 
"Kyu, are you alright?" the bigger one asked tenderly. He laid the other down carefully and reached for a flask that was on the night stand. "I'll help you get these cleaned."
 
The injured one was breathing sharply, but before he could nod in reply, he tilted his head slightly to see past the bigger man's figure, to glance straight at Young Saeng. "Hello there," he mouthed through white lips.
 
"Oh," Young Saeng jumped, and the bigger man turned also to his direction, "hello."
 
"Are you the new slave?" the injured man asked, "what's your name?"
 
"Young Saeng, I'm Young Saeng," he immediately replied, taking one step forward, "are you alright?"
 
"No, my name is not alright," the skinnier man said, trying to smile, "I'm Kyu Jong."
 
Young Saeng stared at him, confused, but smiled a second later before frowning again at man's condition. The other man in the room immediately strided towards Young Saeng and extended a hand, "hello Young Saeng, it's nice to meet you. My name is Hyun Joong."
 
"Hello," Young Saeng meekly took the hand. 
 
Hyun Joong stepped back and crouched beside Kyu Jong, carefully taking off the latter's shirt. Young Saeng gasped. "I need to get a basin of water, in the mean time could you please keep him company?
 
"Sure," stunned Young Saeng took the flask over as Hyun Joong hurriedly left the room. He looked at Kyu Jong, still wincing as he tried to sit up.
 
"Here, let me help you, please," Young Saeng immediately crouched beside the man. "Oh my god, why did they do this to you?" he asked. It wasn't the fresh cuts and bruises that scared him. It was the layers of fading ones, each fading at a different degree, that made him tremble. What did the man do to warrant him such treatment? He swallowed, or was this how the castle treated slaves normally?
 
Kyu Jong winced, but managed to smile at Young Saeng. "What did you do?" the latter looking no less bewildered.
"I didn't do anything," the scrawnier of the two whispered.
 
Young Saeng swallowed again, so this is how they treat slaves normally.
 
"I'm sorry you have to see me like this on our first meeting. I wish I had been in a better condition," the man continued, "but welcome to the castle, Young Saeng. I'm sure we'll get along really well."
 
"Yes, thank you, I look forward to that," Young Saeng, "but you really got to get these cleaned up."
 
And as he said that, Hyun Joong returned with a basin of water and cloth. He hurriedly sat down beside the two and rinsed the cloth before carefully cleaning the cuts on Kyu Jong's chest. "We'll have to get these wrapped. You're seeing His Highness first thing tomorrow aren't you? I know it'd take a miracle but if you don't heal in time, even I can't cover up for you."
 
The skinny slave seemed to perk up at that, "no, the Prince cannot know about this, please."
 
Hyun Joong sighed, eyeing Young Saeng momentarily before whispering, "Kyu, I'll try, but if he gets too close or if he tries to strip you, I can't come up with an appropriate excuse. He'll know."
 
Kyu Jong eyes flashed desperation, "no, you have to try."
 
The oldest man reached for a flask on the night stand and shoved it at Young Saeng, "do you think you can help me apply that onto the cuts that I've cleaned?"
 
"Yes, yes of course," the dark haired man nodded, uncapping the flask and dug his fingers into them. He gently smeared the liquid over the slave's chest, earning winces in reply. He withdrew his hand instantly, fearing that he was hurting the man, but went back to his ministrations after a few seconds.
 
"Who are they, wh-why are they doing this?" Young Saeng couldn't help but ask after awhile.
 
"Jiyoung and Seunghyun, they're servants of the queen. They think they rule the whole slave quarters," Hyun Joong shook his head disapprovingly, moving from Kyu Jong's chest to the man's back. 
 
"Did you say they serve the...the queen?" the new slave trembled, pressing a little too hardly onto Kyu Jong's wounds. "I'm sorry!"
 
"Yes," Hyun Joong, on the other hand, was gentle and meticulous, "you're posted to Her Majesty's as well?"
 
Young Saeng nodded inaudibly. 
 
"You stay clear of them, you hear me?" Hyun Joong said.
 
Young Saeng nodded again, in perfect comprehension. "B-but why? Why do they do this?"
 
He noticed that Kyu Jong looked away, expression downcast. He may have only met the man, but already his heart ached for him. "Some people just thrive on cruelty. If anything, you will realise that it is here in the castle, the heart of the kingdom, that the best and worst people coexist."
 
"B-but, if they're in charge of all of us, then how do we..."
 
Hyun Joong was done with Kyu Jong's back, and Young Saeng quickly replaced him with the flask still in hand. The oldest man proceeded to retrieve a roll of bandages from the drawers, "like I've said, they're not in charge. They just act like they are."
 
"So...who's in charge? Is it possible to for you to seek shelter with them, Kyu Jong?"
 
Kyu Jong smiled at the new slave, "I already have," he inclined his head to Hyun Joong.
 
"You're head of the slaves?" Young Saeng took a double take, contemplating whether or not to bow or go full on kow tow.
 
"Don't listen to him," Hyun Joong waved him off, gently wrapping the bandages over Kyu Jong's chest.
 
"But you are. Both you and Yunho are."
 
"Yunho is," Hyun Joong paid attention to nothing else but the careful bandaging, "there, Kyu, you're all set. I hope these heal fast. You gotta be getting ample rest, alright? I don't want to catch you in the kitchens making His Highness breakfast again, the cooks are there for a reason."
 
Kyu Jong nodded, "okay."
 
"You really have to internalise what I'm saying and not just say okay to deactivate my nagging," Hyun Joong pursed his lips.
 
The other man chuckled a little, "I'm glad you know it's nagging."
 
"That's not the point," the older breathed in exasperation, "I'm serious, Kyu. Stay in bed, and these will heal a lot sooner. If you want me to help you, at least be a little more obedient. I don't see you being all cheeky in front of the Master."
 
The injured slave smiled, "alright alright. I promise I won't roam. Thanks for everything as usual, Hyun."
 
"I'll hold your word for it," Hyun Joong smiled back, "and you're welcome. I'll see you in the morning?"
 
"Okay."
 
"I'll see you around, Young Saeng," Hyun Joong got up and walked towards the door.
 
"Yes, okay, goodbye!" Young Saeng waved at the man as he exited the room.
 
Kyu Jong shifted slightly to put a clean shirt on. It didn't hurt as bad now that his torso was wrapped. "Where were you from, Young Saeng?"
 
"Hweeju," the slave replied, sitting down on his mattress again, "the village of Hyungji." 
 
"Oh, I mean where were you serving before this?" Kyu Jong corrected himself.
 
"No where," Young Saeng bit his lips.
 
He saw that the brown-haired's eyes widened a little. "So you're new not just to the castle, but to slavery itself?" the Prince's slave asked.
 
"Yeah."
 
"Wow," Kyu Jong thought for a second, "it's okay. I'm not much but I hope this room will be a personal haven for you, Young Saeng, for all the days that we'll be serving in this castle."
 
The new slave brightened up at that, nodding his head, "thank you."
________________________