Chapter 5: UKiss

The Good The Bad and the Ignorant

  Kevins' P.O.V

                       We all sat staring at him, as if he had grown a second head. Why was he bringing the kid along? We could barely take care of ourselves, we didn't need another person to look after. No one said a word and Xander gestured to the kid to sit next to him, right in front of Eli and me. The atmosphere was awkward and everyone kept glancing at the kid from time to time, but he himself didn't seem to mind. He was mostly looking out the window quietly. I decided to break the ice and talk to him.

 "So, you said your name is Alexander, right?", I asked him in Korean. He seemed to hesitate for a bit. Maybe he didn't know the language.I was about to try again in English but he answered.

"Technically yes", he seemed to be choosing his words," but..." he paused. "People call me Alex", he finished at last.

"Oh" I said, not sure how to continue. I looked at Xander and he looked at me as if it was a normal thing to bring children we didn't know with us. And then it dawned on me. Who was this kid? Did Xander know him? They seemed to have met just now. Did his parents know where he was? What if he thought we were kidnappers?

"Xander, can I talk to you for a minute?", our manager called him, as if reading my mind. I followed him to the back of the bus and so did Eli and Dongho. We were all curious.

"What's this all about?", he asked impatiently.

"He looked hungry", Xander replied looking down.

"So? You don't even know this kid. Where are his parents?"

"I-I don't know", Xander confessed.

"Does he even have any?"

"Yes...or at least he said so.." his voice trailed of.

"You don't believe him?", manager stuck an eyebrow up waiting for an answer.And he had all the right to. Xanders' answers were very suspicious.

"No, it's not that..."

"Did he ask you for moneyarrow-10x10.png?", Eli suddenly asked. Xander seemed uncomfortable.

"No, I offered"

"So if he didn't want moneyarrow-10x10.png what did he want?" I asked. I wish I hadn't asked. Xander looked at me as if I had betrayed him, but he answered nonetheless.

"He wanted cigars for his dad", he answered sighing.

"I knew it", Dongho mumbled next to me. If he knew, why hadn't he said anything?

"Did you get them?" our manager asked again.

"No."

"Why? They're for his dad, right?" If looks could kill, I would be dead right now.

"Yeah,no, I just didn't feel comfortable buying such a thing. You never know who might have seen me and then we'd have scandals and such to deal with and well, you know...", he half mumbled half said. Well, that was a cheap excuse. He was obviously hiding something from us. We all looked at him in disbelief.

"Anyway, I suppose we can't really turn back right now", our manager said scratching his head "so he can come with us. Xanders' eyes instantly lit up. "But you're in charge of him" he continued hastily. As we were heading back we heard laughter and saw Soohyun and Alex playing a game on Soohyun's phone.

"Turn right, Soo. No wait, wrong way!" Alex said excitedly.       

"Aish, make up your mind, you made me crash you little!", Soohyun said playfully pretending to choke Alex. I was surprised at how quickly they had become friends.

"It's not the kid's fault you at this game", Kibum said snatching the phone out his hand and pulling Alex closer to him.  They seemed to be enjoying themselves, as the tired look on their faces had been replaced with laughter. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad having him with us after all.