Sweetheart

February 14

February 14, 2012

 

This was crazy – Sungyeol was crazy.

“You did what?”  Woohyun clarified, trying to keep in check the burning annoyance bubbling in his chest. The man in front him didn’t even notice the warning lining his question – or if he did, ignored it – and still continued to beam at him.

God, it was still too early for this.

“I dropped our names yesterday to that box thingy meant for Valentine’s Day – which is today! We won’t be dateless anymore!” His companion replied gleefully, excited form jumping up and down. This was the last draw. Woohyun reached over the other’s chubby face and pinched the cheeks. Hard.

“YOU IDIOT! Why did you do that!?” He shouted loud, ignoring the different gazes they received by his outburst. Sungyeol didn’t reply; still continuing to flail away from him in pain but not being able due to the hands still in his cheeks.

“Ow ow OW! Let go of me first!” He complied and let the other go. Sungyeol pouted and softly caressed both his cheeks. “My poor babies…”

“Just get on with it.” He growled, patience wearing thin. Thank god the dense idiot finally got the message and frowned at him.

“And why shouldn’t I have done that? They did say anyone single who wants a date can drop their names and lo and behold, we’re two lonely singles who want company this day!” Woohyun massaged his forehead, feeling a migrane growing. Seriously? And to think this person has an IQ of 180.

“Single ladies, Sungyeol, single ladies. Are you one? The men were supposed to pick the names not drop them!” He growled in exasperation. His friend’s unbearably huge eyes widen twice its size and his pink mouth opened into a perfect oval.

Oh… so that’s why people were giving me weird looks...” The other mumbled. Woohyun could only release a long suffering sigh.

“Come on,” He tugged at the other’s sleeves, earning him a questioning look. “Let’s just go there okay? Maybe the pickings still haven’t started and we can still beg the coordinators to allow us to find and take our names out.” The other let himself be dragged towards university’s open court where the event was currently happening.

But it looks like luck wasn’t on their side that day, because when they arrived, the event had already started and there was already a long line of men in front of the box. Woohyun and Sungyeol could only stare with pale faces at the proceedings, both of them rooted frozen on the ground. They only managed to get out of their stupor when a sudden commotion happened on stage and a boisterous laugh flew through the air.

Woohyun uncertainly met a pair of confused eyes before his expression turned horrified and he hurriedly ran away from the place, ignoring Sungyeol’s different calls of his name and everyone’s amused laughter behind him.

Someone up there must really hate him or this just wasn’t his day. Seriously, this was all Sungyeol’s fault.

And really? Of all the people that could have picked his name it had to be Kim Sunggyu, a literature student who was a year older than Woohyun, who was a freshman. He was also quite well known on their school for his amazing vocals.

Yet, despite all that, he was still surprised out of his wits when he saw the piece of paper with his name pinned on Kim Sunggyu’s pocket – making it known to everyone he was the other’s sweetheart for the rest of the year.

(And, if it shall be known, the person who picked Sungyeol’s name happened to be the person he hated the most [and vice versa] and was the brother of Kim Sunggyu – Kim Myungsoo.)


February 14, 2013

 

God, it was here again. Woohyun’s new least favorite time of the year, Valentine’s Day. It all started last year, when the school held that damn lover’s lottery and Kim ing Sunggyu had to pick his name and proudly pin it on his pocket – showing everyone he was the other’s sweetheart and earned Woohyun lots of jests and jeers the rest of the month. He doesn’t really care if it was an event that was supposed to “bring a piece of history back” and that the Romans themselves invented that tradition (Although he should, considering he’s a history student and all) – and most especially he doesn’t care that, aside from what happened to him and Sungyeol, the rest of the event run smoothly and a handful of couples had formed out of it

Thankfully the whole school immediately got bored of them when both he and Sunggyu ignored them and the fact that nothing really happened. Instead, because people are all bastards that liked to mess with others just to make themselves feel better (Sungyeol’s words, he was a psychology student), they turned their attention towards Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

Not that he can blame them really, because that was interesting.

“Hey Woohyun! You and Sunggyu have plans today?” Think about the devil and he shall appear. Sungyeol’s smirking form greeted him the moment he stepped inside his and the other’s shared class. A glare and a carefully selected finger was the only reply he gave – which managed to make the other howl like a hyena and gain them everyone’s attention.

He couldn’t help but groan. “Seriously Sungyeol, it’s too early for your sh-“ He paused right on his tracks. There, on top of his table, sat a vase full of beautiful roses. Beside it was a carefully wrapped box with a note attached on top.

A hand on his shoulder made him jump a little in the air. When he turned around, Sungyeol’s Cheshire grin was back. “A certain someone left that there, you know?” he motioned towards the gift innocently perched on his table, waiting for the receiver.

With a shaky hand, he took the note. A certain feeling of dread (and if he were honest, excitement) coursed through his veins as he brought the note closer to read. He had a feeling about who the proprietor was and he doesn’t really know what to feel if he was right…

And he was.

 

To Nam Woohyun

 

                Happy Valentine’s Day! Who knew baking was so hard? This took me a long time to perfect and even then I’m still not sure about this batch… but my brother did say they were good. Hope you would enjoy them like he did.

 

Your Sweetheart,

Kim Sunggyu

 

He in a huge breath of air as he placed the note gently back on the table and turned to the box, carefully opening it afraid of whatever pastry inside would be destroyed. The aroma of cinnamon and molasses immediately drifted in the air and Woohyun was greeted by a dozen of crudely shaped gingerbread biscuits neatly placed at the bottom of the box.

Being a lover of sweets, a huge smile took hold of his lips at the sight. Biting at a piece, he swatted Sungyeol’s wandering hands and ignored the teasing howls of his classmates. They were sweet, too sweet actually. Not that it’s much of a problem – in his opinion, the sweeter the better.

Thankfully, a minute later their teacher arrived and the howls were forced to stop. He mentally groaned – this would get him another month of teasing.

When they were released an hour and a half later, he paused at the door way yet again, another piece of gingerbread halfway to his mouth. There, leaning on the wall across him was Sunggyu.

“How were the cookies?”

Woohyun blinked, bit the head of the gingerbread, munched on it and swallowed.

“It would have been better if you gave me milk instead of these flowers.”

To his surprise, the other broke into a smile so wide his cheeks bloated and his eyes turned crescents. Truthfully, the sight stunned him. The other looked so much like a chipmunk, it was so adorable! And, unfortunately, this particular guy had a great weakness for cute things – living or not. How do you think he managed to tolerate Sungyeol all this time? You have to agree the after mentioned person was adorable.

Without another word, Sunggyu left, smile still held in place. It took Woohyun a few embarrassing seconds before he woke up from his stupor. The first thing he noticed was that everyone’s attention was on him and Sunggyu, the second was that beside him, Sungyeol had the widest grin on his face and a mischievous glint in his eyes.

He groaned loud. Yup, definitely lots of teasing. Why is it that people liked to stick their noses unto other people's business?


February 14, 2014

 

Woohyun’s alarm clock rang, but he was already up and around getting ready. It was Valentine’s Day again, and if last year he dreaded the day, this time he was jumping in excitement. Sunggyu told him yesterday he had a gift in store for him, and he couldn’t wait to find out what it is. He had begged and whined the other to tell him but to no avail, bastard was lipped tight about it. Better really just wait for it.

Silently, he took his bag and noiselessly left his room, being careful to not wake Sungyeol – his roommate – up. The guy was still asleep, his classes not until much later in the afternoon and not to mention he had only fallen asleep at four because of a 5000 word essay. He spared him one last pitiful look before closing the door and descending downstairs towards the dorm’s lobby – where Sunggyu promised to meet him.

Until now he was still surprised on how close the two of them had become in just a year. Last Valentine’s had been the ice breaker – the next day, at the university’s cafeteria, Sunggyu surprised him when he sat at his and Sungyeol’s table bringing a carton of milk and a small bag of gingerbread cookies. Both he and Sungyeol were stunned, and he had unconsciously accepted the gifts, having been given again one of the older’s smile while doing so.

After that, it had been a trend. There was not a day that Sunggyu missed in giving him food – even if it’s just a piece of candy. It was only a week after this schedule that they really started talking – at first it was just small talk, then they got lengthier and lengthier, most of them consisting of multiple calls and tests. Woohyun noticed that it had become normal for them to still be talking even if it’s already midnight. And even then, they have trouble saying goodbye.

His mother had not been happy when she saw his phone bill.

Although he had been happy and giddy at first, Sungyeol now constantly whined at him, saying that he was being replaced by his sweetheart. Woohyun only retorted at him that it would have never happened if he didn’t usually ditch him to hang with Myungsoo. His friend had only blushed in embarrassment and smiled sheepishly at him.

Despite his and Sunggyu’s friendship being great and all, he was still baffled about why the older still insist they do the sweetheart thing. To be honest it was only supposed to last a year, but not only did Sunggyu start the year after the draws, the other insist they continue it. So until now, it was still a known fact that Nam Woohyun was Kim Sunggyu’s sweetheart. Although he doesn’t really mind it, the annoying part was he was still single. And whenever he tried to court someone, he immediately got turned down (usually with incredulous and/or rude stares). And he has no idea why that is.

“Hyun ah!” a familiar voice called over him. A smile instinctively bloomed on his face as he ran down the last flight of stairs towards the older one.

“Hyung!” he shouted back, jumping into the other’s waiting arms, ignoring the different looks they were getting, and hugged the older tight. The moment the other let him go, he immediately jumped in his place in excitement.

“Where is it hyung? Where is it!?” Sunggyu only laughed at his enthusiasm and with a pat on his cheek, grabbed his bag that was placed beside him and took a slightly dented box.

“Here you go.” He hurriedly swiped it from his friend’s hands and examined the box.

“No note hyung?” he asked, noticing the apparent lack of a piece of paper.

“Why would I need to write one when I’m giving it to you personally?” Woohyun pouted and glared playfully at the other.

“But it’s more romantic if there is a note!” he whined. Sunggyu only shook his head and pinched his nose.

“Stop complaining. I had to ask my aunt from Switzerland to send that you know?” by the sound of another country’s name, the excited grin was back on his face and he proceeded on opening the box.

His mouth and eyes widen at the contents, the whole box was filled with bay leaves and rose petals and nestled at the center of it, in another box, was an assortment of Lindt chocolates – the really expensive ones.

“Happy Valentine’s Day.” Sunggyu whispered, that same smile he wore last year back on his face. Woohyun found his heart beating much faster than normal as he stared at the other’s face.

A few moments later, a light blush dusted his cheeks and a shy smile formed on his lips as he whispered back.

“Thank you… my sweetheart.”


February 14, 2015

 

One look at the clock and Woohyun knew he was going to be late.

Thank God Sungyeol wasn’t in their room.

“.” He murmured under his breath, hurriedly dropping his bag by the door and ran to his room to take a quick shower and change into a more formal attire. Sunggyu was going to be pissed, the man really hated tardiness. Not that it was his fault really, their lecturer released them a little later than usual because he still had to explain the nature of their next assignment.

A curse slipped passed his lips when a bit of shampoo entered his eyes. Nope, nope, nope he shouldn’t think of anything school related – it was finally his time to relax! And, not to mention, it would be his and Sunggyu’s first meeting in over a month. The other had graduated a year before and they just never had the time to meet after that. Sunggyu was busy over his job applications and Woohyun was swarmed with school work, considering he’d graduate this semester.

Just last week, the older finally got accepted at the publishing company he had been pinning since he graduated as an editor. And this dinner was supposed to be a celebration and Woohyun’s valentine gift at the same time – considering the both of them were still single.

Woohyun smiled brightly at his reflection as he donned on a button up shirt. Even until now he was still Sunggyu’s sweetheart, and he’s actually glad about it. It was only a few weeks after last year’s valentine’s day did he realize what were those unknown feelings he suddenly harbored for the older – it was love.

Nam Woohyun had managed to fall in love with his sweetheart, Kim Sunggyu.

The first time he realized it; he had panicked and hurriedly ran towards Sungyeol, cutting his make out session with Myungsoo short. To his bewilderment, Sungyeol was surprised by his revelation. Turns out all this time he thought he and Sunggyu were already dating – no, cross that, everyone thought they were dating already because of their still ongoing sweetheart thing.

Woohyun never laughed nor cried harder in his whole life. If only what they all thought was true.

The next coming days were sort of hard, he had avoided Sunggyu… only for him to abort that mission a week later when the older finally cornered him at the library and demanded to know why he was being avoided.

Everything settled after then and Woohyun stopped being in denial and finally choose to accept his feelings. Who knew that would make things much easier yet harder at the same time?

Oh well, past is past.

The second he got out of his dorm building his phone buzzed frantically in his pockets. It was Sunggyu.

“Where the hell are you?” the other immediately demanded. Woohyun can’t help the fond smile gracing his lips as he got on his car.

“On my way hyung, my lecturer released us late.”

“You better be here in five minutes or else I’m not giving you your gift.” This made him whine.

“Hyung! You can’t do that!”

“Five minutes.” The other repeated and ended the call. Woohyun didn’t waste time in getting out of the parking lot and driving into the highway.


“So…” He dragged out, doing his best to not bounce in his seat as he stared expectantly at the person across him. They had just finished dinner and were now waiting for desert. “Where’s my gift?”

Sunggyu sighed fondly at him before chuckling and reaching over something below him. “Still impatient are you?”

He raised an eyebrow. “You don’t really expect me to change in just a month do you?” this earned him a full blown laugh.

“Here you go, you idiot.” The other said fondly, handing over a medium sized box to him. “I really do spoil you a lot huh?”

He grinned and placed it on his lap. “Oh you know you love me.” He joked and opened the box.

“You have no idea…” the other murmured back but Woohyun had ignored it, focusing his attention fully at the item on his lap. Among the bed of tissue sat a pair of handmade leather gloves. He stared at it for a few more moments before dragging his eyes and met a pair of expecting ones.

“Hyung…” He whispered softly, hand going inside the box to caress the leather, eyes not breaking the gaze.

Sunggyu’s eyebrows immediately furrowed over in worry. “Hyun? Is anything wrong?”

He gulped, finally breaking eye contact in favor of staring back at the gloves. “You… like me don’t you?” at the corner of his eyes, he saw the other stiffened. He took a deep breath and looked back on the other. “No, not like… love?”

It was Sunggyu this time who broke the gaze, a blush slowly creeping on his cheeks. “H-how did you know…?”

He smiled wiry. “It wasn’t really hard you know? True – flowers, gingerbread, and chocolates are traditional gifts for lovers so I never really noticed it at first. But what made me suspicious were the bay leaves and rose petals – they meant ‘hope in love’ right? And now the gloves... gloves mean authority and the men before usually give them to their lovers. So please prove me if I’m wrong hyung, I don’t think it’s good to give me so much hope only for it to be an illusion.”

Sunggyu’s eyes widen in both bewilderment and shock, gaze finally meeting his pleading ones. The both of them stayed like that for a few moments, had even ignored the waiter who came to deliver their desert, before the older’s gaze softened into a loving one and a hand reached out to his face, cupping a cheek gently.

Woohyun closed his eyes and leaned unto the hand, his lips turned up into a soft smile.


February 14, 2016

 

This is it, Woohyun thought nervously, pacing back and forth in front of the building his boyfriend was working at and playing with the box clutched in his hands. This was finally it, no turning backs.

“Woohyun ah!” He jumped a little in surprise before hurriedly taking a few deep breaths and finally facing his grinning boyfriend hurrying towards him. “What’s with the visit? I thought we would meet tonight?”

He gave the other a greeting peck on the lips before sheepishly grinning and ing the box he was holding towards the other’s arms. “I… I just really wanted to give you this.” Sunggyu looked puzzled at his gift but accepted it none the less.

“You shouldn’t have bothered Hyun… and besides I’m the one who’s supposed to give you a gift, I’m your sweetheart remember?” He chuckled nervously.

“That’s the thing actually! It’s always you who gives so why not a little change?” his boyfriend narrowed his eyes at him in suspicion.

“What are you hiding Nam Woohyun?” He jumped slightly in the air at the accusation.

“NOTHING!” he shouted which gained the attention of the people around him (and surprising his boyfriend slightly), before realizing his outburst and smiling apologetically at the people. “Nothing really just… just open the box okay?”

The other still didn’t look convinced, but decided to humor him and open it. “There’s no bomb here right?” a deadpanned stare was the reply to his joke before he finally sighed in resignation.

Having finally opened the box, Sunggyu smiled slightly at the sight of a pair of leather gloves nestled in the tissue. “Oh Woohyun… what is this? In memory of the thing I gave you when we got together?” his curiously was finally piqued when the younger shook his head and still continued to fidget on his place.

Holding the box with one hand and the other going inside the box, he studied his boyfriend’s reaction as he pulled a glove – the left hand, he noticed – and raised an eyebrow when Woohyun gulped loudly.

“Okay Woohyun what are you really hi-“ A soft sound interrupted him. Eyebrows knitting in confusion, he stared at the ground where he thought he heard the sound came from.

His breath got caught in his throat.

 There, on the ground and having fallen from inside the glove and glinting from the sun, was a gold band. He stared wide eyed as his boyfriend crouched to get the ring off the ground and hand it to him with a sheepish smile.

“Wh-wha-?”

“Like I said,” Woohyun spoke, voice soft and vulnerable. “You were always the one who gives me gifts. Since now that I’m also earning money for my own, I thought maybe it’s time I’m the one who gave – it’s not good to just receive and receive you know? And about the proposal… I decided why not? It’s a leap year and since we’re still going on about the sweetheart’s thing I thought it apt to do another tradition…”

Despite being an author, Sunggyu found himself running out of words to say. It also doesn’t help that despite being someone who’s usually confident about himself, Woohyun was standing in front of him as the very epitome of unsure.

Sunggyu was the first to move, taking the last step that separated him and his boyfriend and enveloped the man into a tight, bone crushing hug. Looks like the other man didn’t mind it, and returned the hug with equal force.

“Yes, yes, yes!” the older laughed, parting a bit to allow him to peeper his delightful boyfriend’s face with kisses.

Woohyun could only release a relieved laugh as he gripped the other’s hand tighter, the ring sandwiched between their palms as a promise.


A/N:

*stares at the forword*

*looks at the calendar*

*stares back at the forword*

…OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT TREE! IT’S SO ING GREEN! AND THE BIRDS! SUCH JOYFUL CHIRPING!