The Truth Lies In Honesty

The Truth Lies In Honesty

There’s a secret to hearing Minho speak nothing but the truth. Kibum notices this by chance after a few incidents of talking to Minho when he’s drifting in and out of sleep. Perhaps because he’s not entirely conscious, Minho just doesn’t seem to think much before he speaks so Kibum soon realises that the best time to hear Minho’s honest thoughts is when he is either about to fall asleep or has just woken up.

Knowing this weakness of Minho makes Kibum feel like he has an endless supply of truth serums. It gives him so much power over Minho that sometimes, he feels guilty for taking advantage of his boyfriend. Still, Kibum wishes Minho will not pick up on the fact that he’s increasingly only starting conversations when they’re in bed, either half asleep or awake.

Lately, there’s something that Kibum is rather curious about and so, when he finds himself awake at an ungodly hour, he decides he might as well just wake Minho up as well. The sun is just rising when Kibum moves closer to Minho in bed and pokes him on his cheek.

“Minho…”

Kibum’s eyes are glued on Minho’s face as he waits for his boyfriend to show some signs of waking up. Unsurprisingly, he gets absolutely no response at all.

“Choi Minho.” Kibum calls out, this time louder, as he begins poking Minho’s cheek just a little harder.

“Unggghh.” Minho groans as he stirs in his sleep, blindly trying to swat Kibum’s annoying finger away, “Stop…”

“Minhooo…” Kibum changes to squeezing Minho’s cheek instead and wastes no time in trying out a few practice questions first since he is somewhat awake, “You didn’t like me when we first met right?”

With his eyes still closed, looking very much like he’s still in dreamland, Minho easily replies, “Yeah.”

Happy with the honest answer which he knows is right, Kibum smiles. Truth be told, it doesn’t affect Kibum at all since he didn’t like Minho much in the beginning either.

“Do you find me annoying?” Kibum goes on to his second practice question.

“Sometimes…” Minho says first while he tugs the covers up to his chin before he adds as an afterthought, “Most of the time.”

Kibum laughs soundlessly, both loving and hating Minho’s honesty. Nothing to worry though, he knows just how to make himself feel better.

“How much do you love me though?”

“So much that it’s scary.”

Kibum nods, not only because he feels the same way as Minho but also because he’s satisfied with Minho’s answers thus far.

Keeping quiet, Kibum figures it’s better to play safe and give Minho the chance to drift back asleep. He can’t exactly explain how he knows when it is a good time to ask Minho the all-important question. It’s more like a feeling he gets just by looking at Minho – something like intuition.

“Minho?”

The rapper doesn’t reply, seemingly asleep again, but Kibum knows he is still alert to the surroundings.

“Hey baby?” Kibum says softly just to make Minho more inclined to answer him.

“Mm?”

“Who’s the iest at solo photo shoots?” Kibum finally asks, “Jjong, Taemin or me?”

“Jonghyun hyung…” Minho instantly replies as he hugs his pillow tighter.

A frown is about to appear on Kibum’s face when Minho’s lips part to continue his unfinished sentence.

“-isn’t y.” Minho breathes out, “Taeminnie though, he looks y.”

Kibum narrows his eyes at Minho, feeling almost scandalized by the thought of Minho seeing the maknae as y, when the rapper suddenly speaks again.

“But he doesn’t make me want to pin him to the bed like you do.” Minho finally says as he slowly opens his eyes and watches Kibum’s reaction.

Their eyes naturally meet and Kibum can’t react fast enough to hide his satisfied grin. Minho ends up smiling as well.

“Now can I go back to sleep, Bum?”

“Sure~”

Kibum nods but suddenly stops, surprised, when it hits him that Minho sounds more awake than he would like him to be. By then, Minho’s eyes are closed and Kibum knows it’s too late. The question has already been asked, the answers given, and whether Minho has been completely honest with him, Kibum decides it’s best to leave things this way.

After all, ignorance is bliss.