One

Walking Away

"I have to admit, I have my own personal agenda." Hoseok admitted as he looked down at his lap. 

Over the few hours that Hoseok discovered the mated pair Namjoon and Seokjin camped in his patch of land, the not-man introduced himself, and showed he meant no harm to the two runaways. Namjoon was still wary, some deep, feral part of his animal brain leaked fear when he looked at Hoseok. Hoseok explained he was a vampire, and he's older than he looks. His not-cat is actually a familiar named Taehyung, and he was sitting next to Hoseok as an orange haired youth now, instead of a cat. Namjoon didn't trust him either, but Namjoon recognized the dire straights he and Seokjin were in, and there in no position to refuse help. 

Hoseok offered food, good quality meat and vegetables, and better quality camping gear for them. They were seated in front of the wolves' camp, a large meal on a low camping table in front of them; between the pairs. Namjoon went tense at Hoseok's admission, staring at the not-man across from him. 

"We were going into the mountains for help, from your kind." Hoseok said, turning and nodding at Taehyung. The familiar stood and headed off towards the trees, where Namjoon assumed the two were camped. "I hope you can help, otherwise we'll continue on further in-- and not let anyone know we came across you two." 

Namjoon scowled, looking off to the trees where Taehyung dissappeared to. 

"I know what fleeing looks like, I've done enough of it myself." Hoseok paused, sitting up straighter and setting his hands on the table. "I'm not going to ask why, I'm just going to ask for your help." 

Taehyung came back, and if Namjoon wasn't already looking at the place he came from he wouldn't have heard the feline approach. It more than unsettled him. 

In Taehyung's arms there was a large bundle of blankets, and Hoseok cleared the table in front of them so the familiar could set it down. Seokjin perked up at it before Namjoon did, already knowing what was inside. The omega pulled the blankets open so he could see, and there was an all black whelp almost motionless, wrapped with care. 

Namjoon recoiled, smelling sickness and death. 

"I found him in an alley behind one of our apartments in the city. He was abandoned, we couldn't leave him." Hoseok said, reaching out and caressing the pup's head. 

"It's dying," Namjoon said, covering his nose and mouth. "And it's a runt, you should have left it." 

An ingrained part of Namjoon's Alpha wolf told him to get rid of the runt, to seperate the weak from the strong so the pack can survive. Seokjin reached forward though, unhindered by any instinct other than care. Namjoon grabbed the omega's arm before Seokjin could touch the whelp, and the omega stared at Namjoon. Since waking up next to Seokjin this morning, Namjoon has felt echoes of feelings, apprehension and fear and love and lust and sadness and longing; echoes from Seokjin. Their bond was growing stronger, more than just a claiming. Now, he felt a fierce need to protect, and rebellion. 

"It's too late, just leave it to die." Namjoon said, but Seokjin pulled his arm away from Namjoon. 

"Like I left you to die?" Seokjin snapped back, and the daring in the omega's eyes had the alpha sighing in defeat. He couldn't control Seokjin the way other alphas controlled omegas, and Namjoon was sure he never wanted to. Namjoon sat back, planting his hands in the thick grass behind him and staring at the sickly whelp on the table. 

Definitely not pouting. 

Without hesitation, Seokjin lifted the pup from the nest of blankets and held it to his chest. He looked it over, poking at it's ears with his nose and carefully feeling through course black fur for injury. Hoseok and Taehyung watched from the other side of the table, silent in their hope for help. 

"I don't know-- If I'm too late then there's nothing I can do but I can try." Seokjin said softly as the pup whimpered and curled closer to Seokjin's warmth and scent. Hoseok nodded, glancing at Taehyung and Namjoon. 

"If you need anything, just call us." He said as he stood up from the table and gently urged Taehyung to come with him. "I tried everything I could but..." 

Hoseok almost looked ashamed, and Namjoon snorted. 

"Don't be sorry you didn't know how to care for a whelp, most omegas don't either." Namjoon didn't take his eyes off of Seokjin as the omega started crawling back to their tent, shifting smoothly into his wolf and carrying the pup in his mouth. "Seokjin does though, he's the best you could have hoped for." 

Hoseok nods, taking Taehyung's hand in his and leading him away from the wolves, the feline glancing back at Namjoon before they dissappeared in the trees. Namjoon shifted once they left, his senses magnifying as the world came back into focus. Namjoon nosed at the food left on the table, none of it was poisoned or otherwise wrong, it just smelled like cat. He left it, getting on his feet and following Seokjin back to their tent. The omega was inside, his human form gently pushing a mixture of herbs between the pup's gums and teeth. Seokjin glanced up as Namjoon lay down at the mouth of the tent, the alpha resting his head on his paws. 

"I might already be too late, he's malnurished, he didn't get the care he needed when he was born. Infection..." Seokjin said softly, his thin fingers messy with herbs. "We have no milk, he's too small." 

The pup whimpered loudly, the sound piercing through Namjoon's head and startling Seokjin. Namjoon crawled forwards, poking his nose against the whelp's side. It was small, it just fit into Seokjin's lap, whereas healthy pups his age would be almost twice that size. In his wolf form, he could feel Seokjin's distress more clearly, the omega worrying more intensely over this pup than Namjoon originally thought. 

"He hasn't shifted yet either, if he does now, he'll die." Seokjin said, his voice steady despite the beat of his heart. Namjoon started over the pup's head, cleaning him and trying to get his circulation going. Seokjin reached out and placed his hand on the side of Namjoon's neck, the gratitude from the omega rolling over the alpha in waves. Namjoon didn't know how to feel about the pup. His instincts still told him to get rid of the sickness, distance them from the dying so they could survive, but he pushed them away, wanting this whelp to survive just for Seokjin. 

Unmated omegas were midwives, rare because omegas never went long without being mated after maturing. The mountain Seokjin was native to was known for it's medicines and miracle herbs, so if Seokjin couldn't save him, Hoseok and Taehyung wouldn't be able to find anyone else. Seokjin shifted into his wolf form, toasty brown and white fur curling around the all black pup and Namjoon as he started over the whelp's back. 

They nursed him for days, Seokjin administering herbs and nutrition and Namjoon prowling around the area in case they were followed. 

Hoseok and Taehyung come by once or twice a day, bringing provisions and anything Seokjin asks for. Namjoon gets to know them better over the course of the month, learns they've been together for hundreds of years, how Hoseok managed to amass a fortune in his centuries on earth, and they're willing to help them find a place to settle, even if they can't manage to save the pup. Taehyung remains a mystery though, the shifting cat eluding any questions Namjoon asked with odd answers. 

Seokjin doesn't come out of the tent for anything, constantly watching and trying to nurse the pup. Namjoon brings him food, but he never stays inside for long. One night, Namjoon comes into the tent to find Seokjin actually sleeping, something he hasn't seen in days. Namjoon crosses his legs and sits against Seokjin's side, his wolf massive in comparison to Namjoon's human body. The alpha reaches for the pup, curled up under Seokjin's front leg, and pets his hand over his side. He's surprised when the pup responds, yipping and whipping it's head around to nose at Namjoon's hand. He's bigger than he was when they first started, more than twice. It's the most life he's ever seen the pup have, and it's clear that it is not going to die. Not anymore. 

Namjoon laughs lightly, the pup crawling out from under Seokjin's leg and hopping onto Namjoon's lap to at his face. Seokjin stirrs, lifting his head to see Namjoon and the pup playing, and he quietly shifts back to his human form. 

"You did it." Namjoon said, his voice full of pride and wonder. His mate smiles tiredly, leaning up against Namjoon's side and looking down at the lively pup. The pup looks up at the both of them, and flops off of Namjoon's lap as it slowly, awkwardly, shifts his form. A small boy with black hair sits in front of them, looking confused and slightly alarmed. 

"Hi." Seokjin says softly, sliding his hand through the boy's messy hair. Namjoon would put his human age at around six or seven, chubby and soft with youth. The boy makes nonsense sounds with his mouth, amazed at his new form and feelings. 

"Jimin." Namjoon says the name with a smile, tapping the tip of the boy's nose. "Welcome to the pack."