of pet names and cat names

of pet names and cat names
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Sehun is a special snowflake. Jongdae knows that much, but it's not like he can control his feelings. He can't help but adore the tall, lean boy with ivory skin and facial expression either blank and indifferent for hours straight or changing in quick sequences that it gets hard to keep track of what one is seeing and simultanously understand what Sehun is saying and relating both visuals and audio.

Maybe that is why Sehun is such a fascinating person, definitely not average, and that is most probably - definitely - what has drawn Jongdae to the boy at first, and what still pulls Jongdae to the boy now. Jongdae would describe himself as normal, boring even, but that is okay. After all, opposites attract, and dating Sehun brings enough adventures into his life. For example, there was this one episode in which Sehun tried to bake some cake.

It was supposed to be a surprise for Jongdae's birthday, and a surprise it was. Jongdae just didn't expect to find the cake unfinished - slightly burnt and only half-heartedly decorated, because apparently, Sehun was not satisfied with the outcome. And so Sehun turned himself into cake, kind of, smearing frosting all over his lips for Jongdae to off. Not to say that Jongdae didn't like the idea. It was cute, endearing, but he wished Sehun didn't turn their kitchen into a mess, flour and sugar and frosting everywhere on the counter, the floor, the table, the sink, the fridge even. How Sehun managed that, he wasn't quite sure. That night had been fun, but the morning afterwards not so much with the cleaning that he had been left alone with since Sehun was too sore to move.

Another episode consisted of Sehun decorating their apartment. Yixing was coming back from China, and thus their group of friends organized a welcome back party. Sehun as arts major was voted to decorate the apartment, whereas Kyungsoo, Jongin and Junmyeon would take care of preparing some food. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were supposed to get the drinks, and that left Jongdae to distract Yixing and somehow persuade him to stop by their apartment later in the evening.

Everything went according to plan, until Jongdae entered the apartment with Yixing in tow. As soon as the light was , his eyes wanted to pop out. Instead of the simple welcome back yixing! banner they made the previous night, and the balloons, confetti and garlands, what greeted them was the sight of cherry blossom petals strewn everywhere, branches of cherry blossoms put in vases arranged in every corner of the living room. The balloons weren't colorful but all white or rose colored, and so were the table cloths, the pillows on the couch, the curtains even. Jongdae didn't know they even had them. Did Sehun just buy all that in the morning? The banner, too, was painted in different shades of pastel and pink, but at least it still had the same message on it.

All their friends sitting on the couch had a more or less disbelieving expression. After all, they had agreed on what kind of decoration, having bought everything in preparation so Sehun just needed to hang that up. When asked for an explanation, Sehun responded with a shrug.

"I think we should adjust to the seasons. It's spring, just perfect for cherry blossoms," he had said, and everyone groaned, not bothering to tell him that his decoration was one, too girlish, and two, too romantic for a welcome back party. They weren’t in a relationship with Yixing, nor was this supposed to be some group dating event. But hey, at least Jongdae and Sehun had the feeling of being outside and going on dates despite only spending time at home, working on their assignments and homework the days afterwards.

There are quite a lot of similarly silly incidents that made Jongdae love Sehun only more, for the young boy never meant ill. Sehun's intentions are good, always, only his way of solving problems is different from other people, his mind and logic going different ways. Just as now.

The couple was currently on a date and spontanously, they decided to enter a cat café. It was more Sehun dragging him inside, and Jongdae could only speculate what might be the reason for his boyfriend to chose that location. Was it the sweet comic version of a cat used for the café's logo? Was it the colorful banner at the entrance? Was it the cute, black kitten sitting by the windowsill, stretching and watching people walk by? Jongdae smiles.

"Chenchen," Sehun says and Jongdae narrows his eyes. He doesn't like to be reminded of middle school, when he was writing supposedly humorous articles for the school's newspaper, using Chen as his penname. Back then he thought he was cool, but in high school people were laughing at those articles, and thus he had kept it a secret from his new group of friends he made in college, happy he was accepted into one far away from home. That group of friends, Sehun belongs to as well, and Sehun is the only one knowing of his secret because there is only this much you can hide from a curious boyfriend.

Sehun didn't judge him at all, when he came across those articles, neatly cut out and organized in one of Jongdae's folders more or less hidden between photo albums and yearbooks. Jongdae had been honest then, saying he wrote those texts, and at the same mortified, because not only was his secret discovered, he was scared that Sehun might break up with him, but Sehun had simply smiled, giggling softly while reading through them. Needless to say that Jongdae only liked Sehun more, because his immature middle schooler humor didn't seem to repulse Sehun by one bit.

Still, Jongdae doesn't like to be reminded of that past. No matter how much Sehun has reassured that his humor was fine - well, it is fine now, very much refined, but not back then. Those reassurences were never enough to outbalance all the nicknames he got called during high school, or the lewd comments on his articles. Hip and cool in middle school is different from being hip and cool in high school. Sometimes Jongdae wished he stopped trying to stand out earlier and blended in with the mass instead. Very much average Jongdae doesn’t get bullied at least.

Back to the current situation, Jongdae is still stuck with a Sehun, seemingly enchanted by the black cat right in front of him.

"He looks like you," Sehun says, hands occupied with petting the cat that has somehow settled on their table. And Sehun is cooing too! Sehun never cooed, unless he was mocking Jongdae. Does that mean he is mocking the kitten as well? Jongdae huffs, his eyes narrowing.

"No, he doesn't. And how do you know it's a male?" Jongdae asks, growing more and more irritated with Sehun’s repeated cooing.

"Intuition. And because he looks like you. Look, his fur is so soft and black! Like your hair back in middle school." Sehun is still cooing with that adorable voice of his, yet Jongdae can't find it in him to let Sehun off this easily. Also, how Sehun knew how his hair felt like during middle school was a mystery, since they only met in college, but that could be left to discuss another time. What was more important was to restore Jongdae's pride, because in no way he could let Sehun name a kitten after him. Jongdae was no kitten, Sehun should know that. If anything, Sehun would be the kitten in the relationship, seeing how he was actively seeking for signs of affection - a hug, a ruffle through his hair, a caressing hand. And Sehun was the one bottoming, too.

"Anyways, you can't go around and name other people's pets. And you certainly can't call any of them Chenchen." Jongdae replies, openly showing how displeased he is. By a lot. Because he really, really wants to leave memories of middle school and high school behind.

"Awww, Jongdae, look, he's really cute, just like you. Look, you have the same lips even!" And at this point Jongdae isn't sure if he should be irritated or weirded out, because surely, there is nothing feline about him, even if Sehun (and his mother) claimed so, and least of all his lips. He wants to cry out, but being the more mature one, he sighs instead.

"Can we stop talking about the cat and order some food?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter