Origin

Garnet

There was a time that humans and mystics lived together peacefully, that was the time Sehun was born into. They weren’t thought to be parasitical and their powers were thought to be bestowed by God. When his vampire mother and human father could marry and live harmoniously. But as humans fell onto hard times and mystics seemed to thrive, tensions rose. While mystics that chose to coexists with humans were peaceful, there were a portion of mystics that wanted to rebel. They felt that they were being limited by the confines of human society. On the other end of the spectrum there were humans that felt mystics were an imminent threat. Both sides wanted some official laws on the way that mystics should be treated. While it seemed that the entire mystic population was experience good times there was a small population of wealthy nobles. They conspired with the king to have mystics enslaved. It was soon made law. Every mystic would be detained for questioning and judgment of character and all Halflings would be burned alive. Sehun’s mother couldn’t let her son be murdered, he was a human. He didn’t exhibit any vampire like characteristics even other humans doubted that he was her child. In the night she carried the infant to a local orphanage placing him in an empty bassinet and giving him a final kiss goodbye. When the guards came to detain her and kill her son she spat at them. “I’ve already killed him. I didn’t want him to suffer. His death was painless.” They searched the house for the child but found no evidence. “Such a heartless , could murder her own child. We’ll make sure to mention that at your judgment.” Sehun’s father was stricken with grief, losing his wife and child left him lonely. He was a baker and often brought bread and other treats to the children there. He never interacted with the kids; aside from the times the care takers would force the kids to give him a unified thank you. It was just another trip to bring the leftovers when he saw the boy. A boy that looked just like his Sehun, he asked the care takers about him. “I’m not really sure, we counted sixteen babies in the nursery and when we woke up there were seventeen!” And the man knows that it’s his son. The woman is hesitant to let a single man adopt a child. But she agrees, he’s employed and has experience with children. “Are you my dad?” Sehun ask once they’re walking toward his home. The man laughs and ruffles his hair “Yes, I am.”

Sehun’s father receives confirmation that it is indeed his son when he goes to see his wife before her judgment day. It’s been years since they’ve seen each other, and the woman is pale and sickly from living in the poor condition of the mystic detention center. But she hasn’t aged at all. She cries when she sees that her husband has gotten Sehun back. That was her ideal scenario, but any human family protecting and raising him well would have been enough. For killing her own child it’s almost certain that she’ll be executed so it’s a long goodbye. Sehun’s father pleads for her to tell them that she sent Sehun to the orphanage and show them proof that he’s still living. She dismisses it, saying that she’s lived a long life and that Sehun should have the opportunity to do so. She gives both of them one last hug before being led into the private room to hear her decision. “You have lived for 200 years, correct. In all of your existence you have not committed a single crime until you murdered your infant son.” She nods. “He was going to be burned alive, he felt no pain in the manner I killed him.” The judge nods. “For this awful crime you are sentenced to death by hanging.” The woman nods solemnly and accepts the punishment. Sehun’s father knew it was unlikely that the woman would be set free, less than five percent of all those detained were released but he still cried when the bell rang signaling a public execution. As other people rushed to the town center to see who was being killed. Sehun and his father walked back to their home.

Raising Sehun alone was difficult especially when he began exhibiting his supernatural powers. What had become of known as the Purge had ended 10 years ago, meaning that any mystic older than that was considered a fugitive and should be killed on sight. Sehun was thirteen. He loved to run and he was very fast, but when he starting moving so fast he was a blur. His father made him stop. Telling him he had a weak heart and could get sick, though the teen had never even caught a cold he listened to his father. Sehun didn’t go to school and instead took up the baking. He liked to drop off the bread to orphanage and didn’t mind telling the story of how his father had adopted him from this very place and loved him very much. The kids eyes glimmered with hope and they sighed happily overwhelming him with hugs and goodbyes. Sehun’s father liked to hear the story of the first time he remembers seeing his mother. “She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Her eyes looked kind and I could tell she loved me.” And his father would always smile and comment. “More than you’ll ever know.” Sehun doesn’t know the details of his mother’s death, just that bad people hated her for something that was out of her control. But he’s getting older and that simplified version of the truth can’t satisfy his curiosity anymore. Sehun hasn’t been to school, so he doesn’t know what kind of discrimination and hateful thoughts people still maintain toward mystics or as they’re called now, demons.

Sehun was 16 when he accidentally bit his dad in the neck. He apologizes but can’t deny that he likes the taste of blood. He’s confused and scared so he locks himself in his room. His dad isn’t angry he just goes out to the pasture and kills a cow. It will be enough blood for a month at least. Or that’s what he thinks when he passes Sehun a glass and the boy asks for another and then another and pretty soon, there is only half of the amount he had originally. But Sehun seems to feel better, he feels invincible even. Like he could swing from the beams of their ceiling, in fact he decides to try it. He takes a big leap and grasps the wooden bar. But let’s go when he feels his father swatting at his ankles. “Sehun, I think it’s time I tell you about a very bad time in the past.” Sehun is crying by the end of the story and says he hates humans. But his father reminds him that he is human and Sehun is too. Now that he knows the truth his father sets some rules. He is thirteen years old if a stranger asks, he is not to exhibit his powers and must not drink from any human. Sehun finds the rules easy to follow until the following night when he sneaks out for a run. Sehun is in the pasture running freely when he meets with a group of full blooded vampires. “Don’t runaway little one.” They say smirking and before Sehun can run away he’s being blind folded and carried off.


Who do you think kidnapped Sehun? And I really enjoy writing about the little village. I might right another fic in this universe about a family that settles in the town.