There for you

Guardian of life (sequel of Journey from death to life)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I heard that that rabbit boy is under you." Myungsoo stated simply as the two sat in the cafe in human form, sipping a cup of ice coffee each. "Which means that you have around eight months before you start work as a guardian angel."

 

Sunggyu nodded. "I know."

 

He sighed as he remembered how his book of life was taken from one of the senior angels, saying that as a punishment from escaping the cycle of life, he had to be a guardian angel. The main difference between the other guardian angels and him was that the humans he was in charge of would always be able to see him but no one else could. To be honest, Sunggyu thought that it was just a bunch of bull and the reason he had to be a guardian angel was because none of the older angels wanted an extra boy to take care of.

 

Myungsoo smiled. "Then after that you'll lose all your freedom and end up watching a little boy grow up. You waste around eighty years of your young angel life and the cycle starts again after another eight months of rest."

 

"I know, don't rub it in..." He took a sip of his drink. "I'm wondering why did I even choose to die for that idiot, and then try to escape death. Now I'm stuck forever."

 

"Because you love him, that stupid bunny."

 

"I've come to a conclusion that bunnies are all stupid." Sunggyu gritted as he bit his straw vengefully.

 

"Hamsters are not any better, considering what you did for an idiot rabbit." Myungsoo's eyes had a twinkle to them as he teased, rolling the straw in between his lips.

 

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. "And a cat is better?"

 

Myungsoo laughed awkwardly. "I guess we're all stupid then."

 

"Don't you have more spirits to lead?" Sunggyu frowned at the other male who almost seemed to be lazing his life off as his job.

 

Myungsoo pointed to his book. "No one is screaming for death so I've no one to lead. My work days are normally during the aftermath of natural disasters or during economic recessions."

 

Sunggyu scowled. "Which means you should count yourself lucky that those things seldom happen."

 

Just then, a breaking news section appeared on the television screen in the corner of the cafe as Myungsoo's book started glowing brightly.

 

"Damn, you jinxed it." Myungsoo cursed as he stood up. "Gotta go, see you once I'm done with leading those damned spirits into their afterlives." With that, he disappeared, leaving half a cup of iced coffee behind.

 

"Dude! Thanks for the coffee!" Sunggyu smiled as he took both cups of iced coffee and left the cafe, switching back into angel form as his eyes took in the sights all around him.

 

He was relieved that no one could see him at all, or everyone would be staring at him as if he was a specimen in the museums down the road. There he was, a weirdo walking along the streets of Korea, donned in a set of dubious white clothes at 11 am in the morning, when most people were either working or in school.

 

He sat down on one of the many stone benches in the park. "I wonder which family is he in now..." Sunggyu muttered to himself as he glanced around, trying to feel the aura of the mortal he was supposed to take care of, aka his ex lover, aka the person he died for, aka the only human who had the ability to see him.

 

"Woohyun... Woohyun..." The name flowed out of Sunggyu's mouth, as if it was something perfectly normal to do. Well, he used to do that, when the two still had the lover status between them. He remembered calling his name one last time before sending him into his afterlife, tears swimming in his eyes before he was called up by one of the senior angels. "I wonder how he will look like in this life..." He muttered to himself as he spied a couple walking past him.

 

He felt his legs pulling him towards the couple on their own accord. It was as if something in them attracted his instincts so much that he had no choice but to follow it.

 

"What shall we call it?" Sunggyu hid behind a tree the moment the husband turned to the wife. He had no reason to do that - no one could see him.

 

Sunggyu guessed that the woman should have just gotten pregnant, judging from how they were chattering about the baby although Sunggyu couldn’t really make out the baby bump on the female’s body.

 

“What about Woohyun if it’s a boy and Mihyun if it’s a girl?”

 

The male nodded excitedly. “I really hope that’s it’s a girl. A girl would give you lesser problems as a child, right?”

 

The female smiled silently as she caressed her tummy slightly. “I still can’t believe that there’s a living human growing inside of me… Can you actually believe it?”

 

“You have to rest in bed from now on and take good care of yourself…” The male rambled on and on excitedly about his plans as the female listened quietly, a serene smile adorning her delicate features.

 

Sunggyu squinted his eyes as he tried feeling for the little life supposedly living in the female. A grin soon spread across his face as he felt it. “Nam Woohyun, I finally found you.”


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 

Two years soon passed and Sunggyu was sitting on the toddler’s bed, making himself comfortable. The child had long gotten used to his presence and sat quietly on the ground, playing with his soft toys.

 

Sunggyu turned his attention to the boy, at the same time trying to look disinterested. The boy was building a small army of bunnies, lined up in lines holding his many tiny bolsters as weapons.

 

He was a very quiet little boy, especially for a male toddler. He wasn’t bubbling with energy unlike others his age, but he could read emotions very well. He could tell whenever his parents had a bad day or even when Sunggyu was irritated with life. He knew a lot for a little boy his age. However, the adults had a hard time telling what he wanted. He could hide his emotions very well, and only showed his true side to Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu looked at the little boy and smiled. “Were you like that in your previous life too?”

 

The boy looked up at him and flashed him a toothless grin, showing him his toys.

 

“Woohyun ah, do you want me to play with you?”

 

The boy nodded eagerly as he pulled Sunggyu’s hand which was dangling off from the side of the bed.

 

Woohyun's parents must have come to terms with the fact that Sunggyu actually existed, especially since Woohyun seemed to like him a lot. He had tried appearing in front of his parents in human form once, but failed badly. Apparently angels were not supposed to be visible to humans when doing their jobs.

 

Woohyun grabbed Sunggyu's hair and pulled at it, causing him to wince in pain. "Relax, I know you're excited but you might just end up looking like a crazy person tugging at the air."

 

Woohyun seemed to understand him perfectly as he helped Sunggyu smooth his hair down.

 

"Aren't you happy?" Sunggyu mused as he patted Woohyun's hair affectionately.

 

The little boy chuckled slightly, his melodic voice resounding in Sunggyu's head. "I can't wait for you to grow up... I wonder how you would look like... Will you look like him?"

 

The little boy cocked his head cutely to the side, before nodding fervently.


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 

Toddler Woohyun did grow up to look like Woohyun in elementary school. He also grew to be a lot more talkative. Teachers complained about how he would not stop talking to his peers or the air around him. His parents chided him, but was of no use.

 

Woohyun just could not control his mouth. Everyone around him found him annoying, except for Sunggyu of course. The older could never bring himself to be angry with the younger.

 

“Sunggyu hyung.” In the privacy of Woohyun’s bedroom, Woohyun said out of the blue one day. Normally Woohyun would be chattering non-stop and Sunggyu would be listening quietly, acting like a sunflower staring at Woohyun with full attention. But it was first time in a long while when Woohyun actually regarded Sunggyu directly.

 

Sunggyu was lying comfortably on Woohyun’s bed. “Yes?”

 

“Am I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter