Final

Wave After Wave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




 

Isn't it beautiful Chen?
 



 

The sea, showered by the glow of the moonlight? The ripples making the moonbeams flicker, almost like hundreds and thousands of candle flames. Even as a child, I had sat on my balcony after lights out and had just watched the sea for hours upon hours. There was nothing more mesmerising than that. Well, except for the soft voice of the waves. That made it all more beautiful. It was as if someone was singing, every single night, calming the ocean and the creatures within it.





 

Had you ever heard it Chen? I'm sure you have. You are the only person who ever understood what I was talking about, no matter how silly it was. And even if you didn't, you just listened. And smiled. That well known grin of yours, the curling of your lips at the sides of your mouth. I don't think you will ever realise how beautiful your smile truly is. Maybe that's what makes it so special.





 

Anyways, getting off topic, I just can't describe how much joy the sea brings to me, involving all my senses. The smell of the salt sea filling my lungs every morning, the soft caressing water that runs through my open hand, the soothing sound of wave after wave crashing against the land, and the sight of this. Chen ! The mere sight of it! It is impossible to think otherwise of the sea. It's majestic in its own way. If I didn't know any better, it was as if it were its own kingdom. I know, another silly thought of mine.





 

But you know Chen, I feel like there's something more about the ocean that us humans will never know. Like, a secret. And not just any secret, Chen. Something so big I think we will always fail to even see it, even if it stood before us. I wonder why is that the case. We have sailed every ocean now. And yet, this blanket of life surrounding our lands is hiding the greatest treasure of all the earth. I know it. However, at the same time, I can't even begin on the possible things it is keeping to itself. It's like the sea is its own treasure chest that needs that one key to open it. That key, though, is within the depths of the sea.






 

Would...would you have any ideas, Chen? You are so bright, even though you didn't know of half the things I had shown you. You had learnt so much in such a short time,and have mastered many things people struggle with for years. Even myself will never be as talented as you. God knows how much potential there is still in you. It is as if you weren't human.





 


 

And...



 



 

If that were the case....








 

...Just what are you?






















 

 



The ship swayed with the movement of the waves. It was early in the morning, the sun hadn't even risen. Its head was hiding underneath the horizon. It was one of those beautiful mornings everyone seemed to miss. To lose such a  chance like this was something Chen never fully understood.
 

 


He stood looking out into the ocean, leaning forward on his hands. One slip and Chen could fall to his death. The sky was a light pink, littered with clouds of gold and orange and light streaming out of them. The sea air filled Chen's lungs as he took a deep breath. He was the only one awake on the ship.  The crew had been celebrating last night. Their prince had married the love of his life, a woman that had saved him from the storm months ago. He was unconscious on the beach and was barely alive. That was until the woman had come across his body and tended to him as best she could. Once he had woken up, it was truly love at first sight. The kingdom was filled with happiness to think their beloved leader had found someone to call his own.

 

 

Even Chen was happy. No matter how much his heart was hurt by the mere thought of it.
 

 

 

He held the dagger in his hand, unsure of what to do withit in the moment. He wasn't scared of getting caught, its blade out in the open for anyone to see. All the sailors were in such a deep sleep that it would take a storm to wake them. No, Chen wasn't afraid of that.


 

He was terrified of something else.


 

Terrified of the fact that he may use it.



 

But it had a purpose. One that could save him and his life. He grasped the weapon tighter as the wind blew the soft brown curls of his hair off his face. The blade felt unfamiliar in his hands. And yet, it was his only saviour.



Chen, you must!

Come back to us, your brothers! Where you belong....

To where all love you....

To where you are nothing but worshipped...

 

To where you'll no longer feel pain....

Where you'll never have to see him again....



Chen closed his eyes in frustration, his head ringing with the voices. The whole night, the sound of his brothers echoed through the waters and into his head. How much it hurt every time his loved ones had cried, releasing their tears into the water, turning the water salty. They had given him his only chance to return home. It was so simple, and yet, Chen couldn't summon up the courage to do so.



But look at what he's done?


Left you for her, a mere girl, a human....

He didn't recognise you now did he? Yet you remembered every detail of his face....

And you had given up so much....



It was true, Chen had given up his life of the ocean, his connections to his family. He had even given up his voice, something that was treasured by all. His voice had calm storms, put monsters to sleep and had become the world's lullaby, one he sang every night. Oh, how much his brothers loved his singing! How much he had loved singing! Yes, Chen had given up so much.
 


It was only fair to take back what was his.

 

Chen brushed away a tear that dared to escape his eye and turned his back to the sea, he quietly made his way across the deck, making sure not to trip over the bodies of drunk sleeping men that scattered across the deck. The swaying of the ship reminded his so much of the waves that had once splashed against his skin.

 

It will be soon, brothers, he thought. Soon.


 







 



Chen finally faced the prince's bedroom. The door had a small round window, allowing him to look into the room. There he saw the man on his back, his sleeping face on the pillow. The man wore a loose white shirt and black pants, the shirt slight open and revealing the smooth skin of his chest. Chen looked in, his hand touching the door handle and slightly shaking. Even from far away, he could see his beloved prince, his face so calm, without worry. He looked so much younger than his age. The prince was a man, and yet Chen could see anything but that. What he saw was innocence, the innocence that had caused him to fall in love.

 

He finally put pressure on the handle and opened the door. It made no sound as it closed behind him. Chen pressed his back against it, and continued to stare at the man he had fallen deeply in love with. The man he had loved more deeply than the ocean. The man that could never be his. He could feel his lips tremble but held in whatever sob that was willing to escape. Everything had gone into slow motion as memories of the previous weeks flashed in his mind. Memories of him and the prince. Of the prince and him. Chen and Xiumin.

 

The way he thought it would be.

 

The prince was so kind and noble. He was loved by his citizens, and was looked up to as a true leader. But the prince wasn't just this, no. He was gentle, he was caring, he was funny. Charismatic, loving, supportive, sweet, trustworthy. Xiumin was everything a human should be, never sad, negative, or let hatred get the better of him.

 

Chen had remembered the day he was saved by Xiumin. He was found stranded on a beach, bare and stripped of any dignity a man was born with. The prince had a castle close by and had found Chen, taken him in, and he treated Chen with all the care he had. Xiumin had helped a total stranger to live.

 

He had taught him how to write, how to read, how to ride a horse, how to dance, how to enjoy every small thing in life that no one else treasured.  Xiumin had given so much time to the mute Chen.  He had even giving Chen his name.

 

 

He didn't even have the ability to say thank you.

 

It was impossible to call the happy prince selfish, because he was anything but. Not only was his whole mind and character beautiful, but his soul too.

 

 

Chen walked slowly up to the bed, his gaze never once leaving the face he had stared at so many other times before. The prince had a round face, his big eyes child-like and that never cease to stop shining. His lean built that matched his average height. The pale skin that shone in the dim light, just like the night when Chen first saw him.  He was also blessed with a radiant smile that warmed the heart of others. Chen had every right to fall in love with the man, for he was perfect, and imperfect in other ways that no one saw.
 


Like how he would steal the royal biscuits to feed the stray dogs that walked hungrily around the castle. How he would make fun of his ancestors and their so-called achievements that resulted in sl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter