Final

The Big Picture

The sky always looked like art at night. The way that if you found the perfect location, the stars created their own lights and lit up the sky, lit up everything. Each shade of each part of the sky and each star looks like different paint brush streaks. That’s why he liked that spot. That’s why he bought an apartment in this very block. High enough to see the sky clearer and close enough to school. The roof was where he came when life was too much so he could look at the sky and the view and forget. Staying up here for an hour or so let him go back into his apartment and into his lectures refreshed. No one else knows of his spot and he leaves his phone on his coffee table in his apartment so he can ignore everyone and just be by himself. People learned to know not to panic too much when he doesn’t pick up. He sat against the wall and carried on staring at the sky, he carried on staring even when he heard footsteps. He wouldn’t even look when he felt them sit next to him. “So this is where you come?” The deep voice laughed. “Pretty stupid spot, not going to lie. Doesn’t it get cold? Like when it rains or when its cold?” The male carried on talking. “Are you just going to ignore me until I go away because I’m not going. So you can carry on staring at the dumb sky but I will stay here as long as it takes.” He felt the boy cross his arms and leaned against the wall and huffed.

“You need to learn when to relax and be quiet and maybe take in the beauties of life and the changes in the landscape instead of looking at the plain old things of everyday life” He finally spoke, his voice a little off from staying in silence for so long.

“Isn’t the sky and buildings ‘plain old things’? I mean, we see them everyday”

“They change. The sky is not always the same colour and not every star can be seen. Buildings change, whether its with paint or new curtains or new plants. I come up here everyday and it's never the same. There’s always differences everytime you look up but you never really realise it until you pay attention”

“Oh so you’re a poet now. Look Baek, I know you’re pissed off but you can’t run up here everytime something happens like a pouty child.”

Baekhyun sighed, “I think up here as well” He mumbled.

“Well whatever you do up here, its not helping anything. Jongdae isn't happy”

“I don’t care if Jongdae’s happy or not. And why should he be the one unhappy, he ed me over. Anyway, I’ve giving up dating for a while, or years. Or forever.”

“Says the one who was talking about marriage the other day” He scoffed.

“So what, I’d like to get married someday. It's something I want to do before I die I guess” Baekhyun shrugged.

“To who? The sky?” He mocked and laughed.

“Have you ever thought about the future, Yeol? Thought about future relationships? Careers? Friendships? Don’t you ever think about those things? About your big picture?”

“Jesus christ Baek! Do you have to be so depressing? Can you stop thinking about the future and instead live in the present? Not everything is about what is going to happen, it’s about what is happening. So what if Jongdae has ed you over? Move on. You’ll find someone else later but live now. Forget him. You’ll find who you’re supposed marry later on. Just stop thinking and start living! Stop this big picture bull. You’re not a work of art Baekhyun, you’re a person that’s living, moving, thinking, talking person! You have your whole life to figure out what you’re doing, you’re in school at the moment. Focus on that!” Chanyeol threw his head back and it hit the wall.

Baekhyun stayed quiet, kept his eyes on the sky. They were in silence for a while, just listened to the distant cars driving past. Baekhyun felt eyes on him but he wouldn’t give in and look back, he came up here to be alone and he was determined to out stay Chanyeol. “You know, sometimes the beauties in life aren’t always up above us. Sometimes you just need to look at what is closer to the ground-” He sighed and rubbed the back of his head and followed Baekhyun’s gaze up to the sky “-Baek, can I ask you a future favour?” Baekhyun nodded.

 

“If we’re both single when we’re 35 and you’ve gained the rest of your big picture, will you marry me?”

 

Baekhyun stopped breathing for a second. He couldn’t look at Chanyeol because he knew he had turned to stare at him again, with that eye colour that Baekhyun always wanted to use as paint and add it to his painting of things he loved. He had never really seen Chanyeol in a romantic/relationship way until the age of 16 but he never did anything and never told him then when he turned 20, Jongdae literally fell into his life. His ‘crush’ left. Since then, he hadn’t felt that way again apart from his love of his eyes and his smile. He always felt maybe something more than friendship but Jongdae was more important. But he guesses that he didn’t matter now. Chanyeol sighed, “I know, it's a stupid proposal. Just forget about it, yeah? I guess I’m still a little drunk from earlier. Just promise me one thing, rather than coming up here to sulk and think by yourself? Come talk to me, the sky can’t talk back and the sky isn’t your best friend.” Chanyeol got up and started to walk towards the door leading back down into the block. “Yes” Baekhyun mumbled. Chanyeol turned back around, “What?”

“Yeah, I will marry you” Baekhyun looked towards him but showed no expression but his heart was the complete opposite.

“I guess I’ll see you in 13 years then” Chanyeol smiled and exited the roof. Baekhyun looked back up and stared at the moon.

He wondered if the moon would be the same shade of grey on his wedding day.