END

What You See
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lying in the darkness of the newly built cabin, Hongbin could almost pretend that everything was perfect.With Jimin next to him, he could almost persuade himself that they weren't surrounded by a bunch of scared, homeless kids who were searching for a place to call their own. Pretend that he and Jimin weren't two of those scared kids.

Lying here, he could almost pretend that life was exactly as he wanted it.

Jimin's face scrunched up in his sleep as he mumbled indecipherable things, hands clenching at his blankets as he shifted as if to begin tossing and turning once more. He did this every night, had ever since Hongbin had met him and surely before hand; the seer's visions came to him in dreams more often than in waking hours, leaving his sleep restless.

Reaching out a hand, Hongbin clasped Jimin's shoulder, drawing him closer to his own embrace. Only when he was flush against the older boy's chest did the seer still, half formed words still falling from his lips but his body no longer struggling against what he saw for the future. Pressing a kiss to Jimin's dark hair, Hongbin wished that he could take away the visions and the responsibility that went with them, leaving Jimin to peace for once. Yet he knew that he couldn't, and so he offered what he could: comfort.

And only wished that Jimin would see that he offered more, if the seer would simply accept it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He could remember clearly when they had first met. Hongbin had lived in the village for a few years by the time Jimin showed up, alone and scared and with nothing but the clothes on his back and a hopeful smile. Jisook had taken him in immediately when he learned the boy was one of the Broken, led him down below the village into the hidden sanctuary below, giving quiet reassurances that he soon learned Jimin didn't need.

Most kids who found their way to the village were scarred, one way or another; Hongbin himself had been on the run from The City for months before he'd been found by one of Jisook's men. They'd smuggled him back to the village with promises of keeping him safe, but it had taken months for him to learn that they meant it.

To see this new boy, baby faced and wide eyed and yet completely at ease, was odd. Hongbin was unsure what it was about Jimin that drew him to the seer; even their powers were completely opposite. Hongbin should have been drawn to those more like him, someone like Ravi or Namjoon; their power was physical, like his own, power that could be used in a fight. To be drawn to the young seer with the bright smile made him feel odd, and yet it was impossible not to. He found himself tracking him with his eyes more often than not, something that those around him noticed as well and began to for.

It was in one of those moments that they'd first spoken. He'd been sparring against Ravi in the small fighting ring and trying to ignore the seer standing and watching with a smile, and Ravi's amusement had risen more and more until he finally laughed and turned for the ropes. "I'm tired," he said, a tinge of laughter in his voice still as he ducked through. "Besides, it looks like the new kid would like a chance to, um, spar with you." And he left with a wink, leaving Hongbin standing there in his sleeveless shirt and wrapped knuckles, his quickness of breath not coming only from the physical activity that he'd been up to.

Jimin had simply watched Ravi go with an unreadable expression before he turned back to Hongbin, his smile only a ghost as his lips as he shifted his feet. "Hi," he said softly, and though Hongbin had heard him speak before, he felt like the floor opened up beneath him under the seer's intent gaze.

"Um, hi," he answered, the nervous energy from the other making Hongbin shift as well, and he motioned vaguely at the ring. "So... wanna spar?"

Jimin blushed lightly and shook his head, almost in hesitation, before admitting that he didn't know how to fight.

"Would you like to learn?" Was Hongbin's immediate answer, and the bright smile that came over Jimin's face as he enthusiastically said yes nearly knocked the wind out of him. The seer was gorgeous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They'd settled into a quick friendship, Hongbin not realizing how much he craved the other's presence until he was alone. His friends mercilessly about it for the first few months, but when there was no change forthcoming and it seemed that the two of them would be inseparable, the teasing stopped. Everyone simply took it on faith that where Jimin was, Hongbin would be there as well.

To his dismay there was nothing more than friendship between them, though. To be honest, while Jimin shared his visions, his fears, even his tears with Hongbin, the older boy felt like there ought to be more. That he could happily drown in Jimin's eyes a hundred times over. And yet the seer simply clung to him as a friend, called him hyung even when Hongbin would brush his lips over his forehead. It was frustrating, at times, that the seer could see things in the future and yet not even see what was right in front of him.

It got worse when Jungkook arrived. Oh, of course Hongbin knew who Jungkook was; he probably knew more than every person in the entire village put together, with of course the exception of Jimin. The upside of being Jimin's confidante was that he knew everything that the seer saw, and yet in a way that was a downside of its own.

He'd seen an awful lot of Jungkook in the last year, enough to make him seem like a god to Hongbin's ears, one that he desperately wanted to resent for having such esteem from Jimin without even meeting him. He wanted to hate him when he showed up, finally, tagging along behind Jin like some sort of lost child, and yet the look of fear in his young eyes made that emotion impossible.

He treated them all with wariness, especially Jimin, who Hongbin could admit came across as all-knowing and creepy at times. Though when he said so it only brought laughs from the young seer. The next few days had been a bit tense until the Chosen One had gotten his bearings, but finally everything seemed to calm down. Hongbin had nothing to worry about; the first night that Jungkook and Jimin had begun to get along, Jimin had still found Hongbin to sit beside for dinner, to whisper in his ear that he'd seen Jungkook meeting Yoongi, that everything would work out. He'd still been Hongbin's, if not fully then at least in theory.

When the betrayal came, Jisook selling them all out to The City for a pardon, it had broken Jimin's heart. He'd looked up to the older man, seen him as a sort of surrogate father, and though he kept a brave face for everyone around them, Hongbin could see the pain eating away at them. They were supposed to make their escape from the village one at a time so as to alleviate any suspicion, but Hongbin couldn't bring himself to leave Jimin's side. They'd left it together, Jimin's hand clenched in Hongbin's so tightly that his fingers turned white, his eyes resolutely staring ahead as he tried his best to not let the pain of betrayal show.

It had almost seemed like a walk through the forest, even after they'd met up with the rest of the Broken and Jimin had released his hand with what seemed to be a regretful sigh. They'd hiked through the forest in relative silence, broken at tim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter