Medicine

Medicine

I stared at the clock on the wall and sighed in disappointment. Its 3pm, 2 hours left before the end of class. It couldn’t get soon enough. The fact that I still have another 2 hours to endure frustrates me so much.

I forced myself to listen to the teacher. He was saying something about Einstein and how he failed maths when he was a student. I thought it was absurd that a genius failed math but that's not really the point. Nothing interests me right now besides wanting for the class to end.

I just wanted to run away. I needed to run away.

Choi Minho

I doodled his name on my notes not really caring what the teacher was saying. Then I drew a figure beside his name. I’m not good at drawing so I only managed a circle for his head, dots for his eyes nose and lips, and a few lines for his arms and legs. I smiled admiring my little piece of art.

I raised my head and stared at the teacher again. This time I couldn’t make anything from what he was saying. I could feel my eyes drooping. I feel so tired.

This won’t do. I have to leave. Now.

I raised my hand to call the teacher’s attention. “Yes, Mr. Lee?" he asked.

"I need to go to the clinic," I said. He said ok and I made a curt bow before exiting the room.

Once I was out of sight, I quickened my steps. I walked as fast as my legs would take me. But I was not fast enough. I hate feeling weak but right now I couldn't help it. Which brings me back to my real reason for skipping class.

It wasn't entirely a lie that I had to go to the clinic. Only that I decided not to go. I have something else on my mind, something much better.

I searched for him in his classroom making sure he didn't decide to suddenly become a good student and attend his class. When I didn't see him I knew exactly where he might have gone to. He's as predictable as that.

I reached the school grounds and I saw him exactly where I thought he would be. My heart skipped a beat just like it always does whenever I see him.

In a distance I could hear girls screaming his name. "Choi Minho! Saranghae," they said.

Either he decided to ignore them or he was just too oblivious to his surroundings that he didn't even notice he has a growing fan club screaming his name.

I bet it was the latter. After all he's a soccer freak who doesn't see anything or anyone once he's inside the soccer field except for his teammates, opponents, coach, referee and the goals.

"Taemin!" And maybe me.

I smiled when I heard him call my name. He ran towards me and it convinced me that he probably wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with him. He was running as if his life depended on it. My smile widened even more.

"What’s wrong?" Minho asked.

I smiled. Sometimes I wonder how he always does that. I haven't said anything but he already knows something is wrong.

"Nothing," I lied and shook my head in response.

He took off his jacket and draped it around my shoulder. The warm feeling quickly spread into me and I love it. Although I prefer his arms wrapped around me instead, his jacket was enough to make me feel better in an instant. He always knows exactly what I needed.

"Feeling better?"

"Your jacket smells like sweat." Instead of answering his question, I complained.

He smiled because he knew I was teasing and that I actually like the smell of it. You see, he can always tell if I'm lying or not. I don’t know how he does it either. He just knows me too much and sometimes it could be a pain in the because I couldn’t hide anything from him.

"What's wrong really?" I know I can't hide it from him much longer but I decided to just let him figure it out on his own. He always does anyway.

1, 2, 3, 4... I counted in my head.

Minho put his palm on my forehead and frowned.

5 seconds. It only takes him 5 seconds to know what's wrong.

I knew the moment he felt the signs of fever because he sighed and said, “You have a fever.”

I don't catch colds often but when I do it lasts for days. If my mom knew she would probably nag and tell me I was too reckless and that I should never go out on a rainy day or that I should always drink my vitamins but Minho- Minho would only sigh like he is doing now.

"You shouldn't be out here. It's cold." Minho said.

"But I need my medicine." I pouted because it always works on him. We sat at the grass and watch the soccer game from a distance. I looked at Minho and saw concern on his face. I expected him to be up and running back to the game but right now it looks as if he didn’t want to be anywhere else but beside me. And the thought makes me happy inside.

"You need real medicine," he said but even so Minho already pulled me closer to him.

I couldn't help the blush that appeared on my cheeks. It always happens when Minho is too close to me, when I can feel him breathing next to my ear, when I can hear the sound of his heartbeat which exactly matches my own.

And it reminded me of the time when he was 10 and I was only 8. I was feeling like crap just like now but Minho was there so it was ok.

 

"Mom, I think there's sand paper stuck in my throat" I told my mom who was then busy doing the usual mother's chores: cleaning, laundry and cooking.

There was a funny taste in my mouth and a pain in my throat every time I gulp. It felt as if I swallowed sand paper. If only I could rip it all out. I couldn't eat anything. Even drinking liquid was a struggle.

"Don't be silly,” my mom replied not taking me seriously. “If there's a sand paper stuck in your throat you might have choked to death by now."

I decided not to press it. I was a kid and she's an adult and adults supposed to know better than kids.

However that night I couldn't sleep. I felt like vomiting. The funny taste in my mouth didn't leave.

I sneaked out of the house into Minho's window and knocked. Minho is living right next to us. It’s very convenient especially in times like this.

The sleepy Minho opened his window after a while. He was rubbing his eyes with his fist when he asked, "What is it, Tae?"

"I can't sleep." I shivered and realized it’s cold. I'm still in pyjamas and carrying a pillow bigger than me. "Can I come in?"

Minho let me in without thinking twice. Being a small kid it was easy for me to slip through his window. I lay on his bed still hugging my huge pillow and then wrapped myself in blankets because I feel so cold.

He lay next to me and wrapped his arms around me for more warmth. It’s as if he knew exactly what I needed

"What's the matter, Tae?" he asked again.

I didn't want to be called silly again so I hesitated. But in the end I decided to tell Minho the truth. I couldn't lie to him because he always knows if I was lying or not. “There are sand papers stuck in my throat," I said.

I expected the same response as my mom but instead he said, "Let me see."

I sat up still wrapped in blankets and I let him check my throat. Minho grabbed a flashlight and like a throat doctor he took a peek at my throat. He cupped my face with his hands and tilted my head at the right angle.

"Say aaaahhh," he instructed me.

I did as I was told and stuck out my tongue to give him a better view.

"There are no sand papers in your throat. Maybe they are invisible." Maybe he's right because I could really feel it in my throat and its painful. His palm landed on my forehead and I saw some doctors do it on TV so maybe he knows what he’s doing.

"But I do think you're burning up," he said.

"Do I need to drink medicine?" I asked dreading the thought. In my 8 years of existence I haven't tasted any medicine that tastes good.

"Well of course you do." Minho said.

"I hate medicines. They taste bitter," I complained. Besides, nothing seems to taste good lately. Even the chocolates I ate that morning taste like mud.

Before I knew it I could already feel Minho’s lips lightly touching my cheeks. "Mom kisses me whenever I'm in pain,” he explained. “And the pain always goes away. Maybe it will work on you too."

"It's not going away." I complained.

“It doesn’t take effect immediately. You have to wait for a little while.”

“But it’s painful. I can’t sleep.”

Minho thought for a while before he said, "Come on." He held one of my small hands with his own and led me somewhere while I clutch the blankets with the other.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

"You need to drink medicine if you want to get better."

And since Minho said so I decided to oblige even if there’s a high probability that I will just throw up anything that I attempt to shove in my mouth.

We went to the kitchen and checked the cupboards to see where the medicines are. All the while I was just staring at him thinking that Minho is so cool and so smart because he knows so many things.

Maybe we were making too much noise because Minho's mom and dad came shortly after and scolded us for being up in the middle of the night. And then they noticed me wrapped in blanket and clutching it tightly to held it in place.

They must have noticed me shivering because Minho’s mom placed his hand on top of my forehead just like what Minho did earlier and then she muttered something about fever and telling Minho to go get my parents.

The last thing I remembered before passing out was the worried expression on Minho's face. The next day I woke up feeling much better and totally convinced that it was Minho's kiss that cured me.

 

"What are you thinking?" Minho asked and the question brought me back to the present where he's sitting right next to me with his one arm draped around my shoulder in a comforting way.

“The past.” I replied. “I remembered the times when I used to sneak up in your room whenever I’m not feeling so good."

“And you always demand that I kiss you.”

“Yah! You make it sound as if you hated it. I’m sure you enjoyed it as much as I did.”

Minho smiled and I had to look away to hide the blush that were colouring up my cheeks. But Minho forced me to look at him. He cupped my face with his hands and turned my face so we are staring at each other’s eyes. He enjoys teasing me because he said he likes to see me blush.

Then slowly he lowered his head and gave me a kiss. It was slow at first and it feels like he was taking his time. I love every moment of it. But the gentleness makes me want to crave for more. I couldn’t seem to get enough of it. I felt his hand on my back pulling me closer while his other hand remained on my neck, caressing and sending shivers down my spine. With half lidded eyes I surrendered. I could no longer think straight and I don’t care about anything anymore. Being with Minho is enough for me.

When he pulled away, I had to take a few deep breaths before I managed to calm my heart. I didn’t even notice I was holding my breath for a long time. “I like it when you kiss me like this. It makes me feel better in an instant.” I admitted. His kiss is still having effects on me. I am able to say things I wouldn’t have said in a normal situation.

“Like a medicine?” he asked.

“No. Medicines are bitter. Your kisses are sweet and much more effective.”