The Lost Retreat

The Lost Retreat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Walking down the tree lined lane. It was getting dark. The first few street lights coming on a little farther away. The sleeping city awakens. The dusky evening sky, fading into the dark with a bright tinge of orange from the already set sun.

 

The set sun...you felt a sad shiver, even though it was the middle of summer. As you walked on the path, one of the street lights right next to you blinked on and startled you. You paused a little to collect yourself and then continued on your slow pensive gait.

 

It was Friday evening and you were walking back home with your weekend groceries. A weekend to look forward to...or not...

 

A bleak sigh left your bosom without you realizing it. You had everything you ever wanted. Everyone envied you, for your accomplishments at such a young age. You had a set life ahead of you. Yet, what is that faint empty feeling that you couldn’t shake off somehow...

 

You came out of your musings, back to the reality abruptly and slowed down your pace. You couldn’t recognize this lane as you vaguely looked around. You realized you might have taken the wrong turn somewhere while walking, deep in your thoughts.

 

You looked to your left, a small man-made lake of sorts, beautified and surrounded by a path lined by flower bushes all around it. The hanging orb light posts gave the little relaxing spot a vintage feel. You spotted a few white swans floating about vaguely in the not-so-deep water. You were confused where you were but ignoring rationality for once, you walked inside the gate leading onto the flower path. You walked across the path to the edge of the lake and peered down. On one side of the flower bushes, there were a few concrete steps with a handrail leading down to it.

 

You remembered you had bought a packet of bread and wondered if those swans would eat some crumbs. You walked down the steps carefully, sat yourself on the last but one-th step and rummaged in your grocery bag next to you. The swans eagerly swam to you when they saw you sitting down on the steps. You concluded that they were probably used to people feeding them...

 

 

******************

 

You were unaware how much time had passed while you were busy feeding the swans, but it was already dark by then.

 

When you were done with the feeding, you remained there, sitting quietly on those steps. You didn’t feel like returning to your apartment. Somehow the calm surroundings gave you a charmed feeling. As if Time had stopped its flow for you, the moment you walked into the gate of this silent retreat spot.

 

A pretty white swan climbed up on the last step next to the water and looked at you curiously with a cocked head. You couldn’t help smile. “You want some more?”, you asked. But apparently the swan wasn’t asking for food. It waddled closer to your feet and brushed its beautiful white head on your leg softly. You hesitated a bit before you stretched o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter