Final Chapter

Playing With Hearts

"Far Away... Young Love" by C-CLOWN. Click this to go to the music video. The link is attached. Watching the music video will help this make more sense! Thank you for reading and enjoy :)

 

“What’s wrong?" Yoon Ju's brows furrowed with worry at the strange expression on Jun's face. He swallowed and averted his gaze from her, staring out the window next to them instead. His fingers drummed against the wooden coffee table and she stared at them with only growing worry.

 

Jun turned to look at her again, opening his mouth, and then closing it. Yoon Ju let out an aggravated sigh before leaning back in her seat.

 

For the last 10 minutes, they had sat in silence. Jun, unable to say anything, and Yoon Ju, wondering what he was trying to say. They’d been friends for years now, and Yoon Ju knew Jun better than anyone else, so the fact that she had no idea what Jun was thinking right now terrified her.

 

Jun rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands before letting them fall to his lap. “Yoon Ju…” He said in a whisper and she perked, thinking he would finally speak. “I…” He stopped and swallowed, “I…”

 

Yoon Ju’s hand twitched on the handle of the chair, “Will you just say it already? I’ve never seen you like this before, Jun. What’s wrong?”

 

I love you. The words were on his lips, but he couldn’t say them. How could he? He couldn’t love Yoon Ju. She was his best friend, his childhood friend… his brother’s girlfriend.

 

“I,” Jun finally spoke, “I think what you’re wearing today is horrible.”

 

Yoon Ju’s eyes widened and fell slightly open. She looked down at her plain white shirt and jeans before looking back up at him.

 

What?!” Yoon Ju grabbed the crumpled napkin on her plate and chucked it at him. Jun put his hands up as the paper soundlessly hit his arm and fell to the floor.

 

Yoon Ju shook her head and laughed in relief but Jun’s smile wasn’t sincere. He watched her with slightly amusement but mostly guilt.

 

He wanted to tell her the truth so badly, but he couldn’t. He was scared. Scared that she would blame him. That she would leave him. That he would lose her.

 

Yoon Ju’s eyes went to something behind Jun and he saw her eyes light up in a way he had never been able to make happen. His heart sank a little bit as she pushed back her chair to stand up.

 

He didn’t have to turn his head to know who had arrived. Yoon Ju moved past his chair and she let out a few quiet words just as Jun looked out of the corner of his eyes to see arms go around her waist.

 

Jun, abruptly, snapped his head away and let out a breath. Of course. He couldn’t love her.

 

“Hey, Jun.” The said boy looked up at the familiar face. The face he’d seen everyday growing up. The face of the man he thought he knew. The face of the man he hated with everything yet loved more than anything.

 

Hyun Il and Jun had always been close. With only 2 years separating them, they grew up together and went through life together. They always had each other’s backs.

 

“Jun…” Hyun Il called his younger brother’s name as he stepped into the named boy’s bedroom. Jun looked up from where he sat on his bed, his laptop on his lap. “I have something to tell you.”

 

Jun blinked at him before setting his laptop aside and swinging his legs over the side of the bed. “Okay?”

 

“Your friend… Song Yoon Ju.” Hyun Il nervously played with the door handle. Jun had an odd feeling settle in his heart and he rubbed his clammy hands against his sweatpants. “I like her.”

 

Those three words changed everything. Those three words made Jun give up on what he wanted: Song Yoon Ju. He couldn’t go after her, not when his brother liked her.

 

Hyun Il had given up so much for him. Hyun Il had raised him ever since their parents passed away 5 years ago. He had worked for money to support them. He had always been there when Jun needed him. So how could Jun take away the one thing that made Hyun Il the happiest?

 

“Hyung,” Jun put on the smile that he had mastered so perfectly that not even his older brother could tell it was fake, “I didn’t know you were coming today.”

 

“Yeah,” Hyun Il took one of the two empty seats at the table, “I wanted to come surprise you.”

 

“Surprise me?” Jun repeated, truly surprised. His eyes went to Yoon Ju and he only glanced down for a moment at their intertwined hands, “Why surprise me?”

 

Yoon Ju grinned, not noticing his nervous expression, “Well,” she shot a glance to Hyun Il, “we know that you’ve been a little lonely lately-”

 

“What?” Jun’s stomach began churning, “No, I haven’t.”

 

“Jun.” Hyun Il scolded. “Let her finish.”

 

“Hyun Il oppa wants you to meet someone.” Yoon Ju finally said. “A friend. A girl.”

 

Jun smiled, a mocking smile. He wanted to laugh, but he couldn’t, not when he could feel a burning flame in his heart. He was in a funny situation, but it wasn’t funny at all.

 

“I like him, Jun.” Yoon Ju’s cheeks were red and her eyes were bright and wide.

 

Jun opened his mouth to tell her the truth, to tell her not to go to his brother because HE loved her. But at the last moment, he couldn’t. She looked so happy. He had looked so happy.

 

So instead, Jun did something that he would have to continue doing for months after: he faked a smile. “I’m happy for you, Yoon Ju.” His words were forced, bitter, but they were what Yoon Ju wanted to hear and because of that, she ignored the fact that he didn’t sound alright, and smiled back.

 

“You’re setting me up on a blind date?” The bitterness in Jun’s voice stood out and Yoon Ju’s smile faltered. “You’re really doing this?” His gaze turned cold as he stared at the girl he’d known for years.

 

Yoon Ju swallowed, “I-I… Jun, I thought you’d be happy. She’s really pretty! You’ll like her, I promise.”

 

No, I like you. He wanted to say it, but in the next moment, Hyun Il’s hand came on his arm and Jun snapped out his thoughts.

 

“Just give her a chance, Jun.” Hyun Il pleaded, shooting him a warm smile.

 

Jun didn’t know whether it was a coincidence or manipulation, but it seemed that Hyun Il was slowly asking him to do more and more, knowing he couldn’t refuse.

 

“Okay.” Jun let out a breath and a triumphant expression came over Hyun Il’s face. Jun gave him a weak smile as Hyun Il looked behind Jun and waved a hand.

 

She was pretty, that much Jun had to agree with. But she paled compared to Yoon Ju.

 

She was nice, that much Jun had to agree with. But she was nothing compared to Yoon Ju.

 

He liked her, that much Jun had to admit. But, even then, his eyes were on Yoon Ju the entire time.

 

◈◈◈◈◈◈

 

Jun always liked to take walks at night in the strip in downtown. He liked the flashing lights and the crowds. He liked how he could disappear in a group of people and, for a few moments, forget what ate at him everyday.

 

Jun had liked all that, up till now.

 

The boy in front of him looked a lot like his older brother: black hair, tall, slim figure. But the girl next to him? She looked nothing like Yoon Ju.

 

Jun was almost scared to call out “Hyun Il”, to find out if it was actually the man he trusted the most or not. But he was even more scared not to, not to know who Hyun Il actually was.

 

“Hyung.” Jun’s voice didn’t sound as strong as he had intended it to be. Instead, it sounded hoarse and weak. But the message got across.

 

The boy turned around to face him as the same time as the girl he had been feeding did. It was Hyun Il. But it wasn’t Yoon Ju.

 

Jun had spun on his heel and was stalking back into crowds within moments of the encounter, breathing hard. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest as a million thoughts raced in his mind.

 

Yoon Ju. Yoon Ju. Yoon Ju. The only name that was coherent enough for him to process was of the girl he loved. Of the girl Hyun Il was dating. Of the girl Hyun Il was cheating on.

 

“Jun!” Someone grabbed his wrist and spun him around so quickly that he stumbled in his step.

 

Jun looked at his brother with wide eyes, and anger. A lot of anger. “What the hell are you doing?” Jun burst as he snapped his hand away from Hyun Il. “What are you doing?! What are you doing with her? What are you doing to Yoon Ju?”

 

Hyun Il was shocked at how vehemently Jun spat at him. “J-Jun, you have to understand. I-I love Yoon Ju. I really do, but-”

 

“But nothing!” Jun cut him off, stepping closer so his glare was the only thing Hyun Il could see. “But nothing. That girl,” Jun pointed behind him, “is the girl you brought to meet me. But why? Why is she here with you?”

 

Hyun Il his, suddenly dry, lips. He eyed his younger brother carefully, wondering how to tread the dangerous waters ahead. “Jun, you have to listen to him.” His hands slowly came onto Jun’s shoulders, holding him still. “I love Yoon Ju. I just… I’ve been having a hard time and I needed an escape. That girl was my escape. It didn’t mean anything to me. I swear!”

 

Jun was shaking his head before Hyun Il even finished, “No.” His voice was shaking, “No, you’re lying to me. Look what you did!” Jun pushed on Hyun Il’s chest and the older boy stumbled backwards in surprise. “You’re going to hurt her. She’s my best friend.” Jun pointed to himself and hissed with venom in his voice. Hyun Il opened his mouth to respond but Jun spoke first, “I love her.”

 

Hyun Il froze, “What?”

 

Jun’s eyes widened as he realized what he had just said and he took a step back. “No.” He whispered in a ghost voice. His brother knew now, his brother would tell Yoon Ju, then he would lose her. “No.” He whispered once more before turning around and running.

 

Running away from Hyun Il and running away from the truth he’d wished he’d never learned. At least then he wouldn’t have to feel guilty about knowing it when Yoon Ju didn’t. It was a selfish thought, but Jun thought that he should be able to be selfish about at least one thing when he had given up so much.

 

◈◈◈◈◈◈

 

He could tell her. Jun could tell Yoon Ju the truth and she would break up with Hyun Il. She might go with him. He might have a chance with her.

 

She hadn’t noticed him yet because she was so into her work of designing a new website. Her fingers flew over her keyboard as the other vigorously clicked with the mouse. She loved art, designing art, computer designing art.

 

And he loved that about her.

 

It would be really easy. Yoon Ju, Hyun Il is cheating on you. Leave him. Come to me. I’ve been waiting for years.

 

There weren’t many words, but it was going to be the hardest thing that Jun had ever said in his life.

 

He took a step forward but as he did, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He stopped, and slipped it out before looking at the screen. It was a text from Hyunsil.

 

Please don’t tell her.

 

Hyun Il knew that this was the first place Jun would have gone after finding out. How could he not? This was Yoon Ju, not some random girl, but his Yoon Ju.

 

She didn’t deserve this. She had taken the risk to innocently love someone and she didn’t deserve to get her heart broken. And she didn’t deserve to be told this by her best friend, by his little brother.

 

Would she be mad at him? Would she regret ever being friends with him? He didn’t have the answers to those questions, but he really hoped it was ‘no’.

 

“Yoon Ju.” Jun finally said and the girl froze.

 

She slowly turned around in surprise, her fingers grasping the back of her chair, “Jun? What are you doing here so late?”

 

Her hair was tied in a messy bun near the top of her head and her eyes looked tired yet as bright as they usually were. He smiled, despite his troubles and despite the pain he had, he smiled.

 

“I wanted to see you.” He replied, taking a few more steps to her.

 

“Oh?” Yoon Ju stood up from her seat, “Why? We just saw each other earlier today.” She joked, “You couldn’t have called?”

 

“No.” Jun replied seriously and Yoon Ju’s smile wavered.

 

“What’s wrong?” She asked and when he opened his mouth, she cut him off, “And don’t lie to me, Kang Jun. I know you and I know when you’re lying to me. You think I won’t notice your fake smiles and all but I do. I just don’t say anything because I know you won’t tell me why. So please, tell me now. Why?”


Jun was shocked. Had she really noticed? He didn’t think anyone did. He let out a breath of air as he stepped forward again, “Yoon Ju, I-”

 

His phone buzzed again and this time there was only a single word on there.

 

Please.

His brother? Or Yoon Ju? He felt like the answer to the choice was one he couldn’t handle. If choosing one meant losing another, he didn’t think he could do this.

 

He wanted to turn away from her, to avoid telling her, but he couldn’t do that either. She would hate him if she found out any other way. He had to be the one to tell her.

 

“Hyun Il hyung,” Jun sputtered, “he… he…”

 

Yoon Ju looked down, her long black hair covering her face until she brushed it aside. “Oppa? What about him?”

 

“He…” Jun swallowed. “I saw him today with-”

 

“I know.” Yoon Ju cut him off and Jun’s eyes widened. Yoon Ju looked up with sad, teary eyes and a weak smile. “I mean, I didn’t know but I had my suspicions.”

 

“You…” Jun stared at her with round orbs, “You what?”

 

Yoon Ju let out a small  laugh and that only shocked him more, “That must have been hard for you. I know how much you love Hyun Il oppa. Is this what has been bothering you for so long? Aigoo, Jun-ie.” She reached up to pat his cheeks, “Thank you for telling me.” Her gaze softened on his face.

 

She was about to move her hands away but Jun stopped her by placing his own hands on top of hers and she looked at him with round eyes in response.

 

“That’s not what’s been bothering me.” Jun spoke fast. “I just found out about that now. What’s been bothering me,” Yoon Ju patiently stared at him, “is that…” her gaze didn’t waver and neither did the warm look in her eyes, “I…”

 

Yoon Ju’s voice was barely a whisper, “You what?”

 

He wanted to tell her the truth so badly, but he was scared. Scared that she would blame him. That she would leave him. That he would lose her.

 

“You what, Jun?” Yoon Ju pressed.

 

“I love you.”

 

◈◈◈◈◈◈

Life works in funny ways. 3 words can change a life. 3 words can ruin a life. 3 words can make a life.

 

I love you. I hate you. I want you.

 

Jun realized the impact of those three words so profoundly, he felt scared to use them again.

 

He confessed his years long feelings for Song Yoon Ju. He left his older brother behind. He asked for a chance with Yoon Ju.

 

It didn’t come easily. In fact, it didn’t come for months.

 

Yoon Ju was heartbroken over Hyun Il and she wanted time. She wanted space. So Jun gave her that. But slowly, and gradually, she returned to him.

 

“I did too, you know.” Yoon Ju abruptly said one night. Jun looked at her in surprise, his finger pressing the pause button the remote. He looked at her questioning and she looked to him, “I loved you.”

 

Jun paused, “What?”

 

“I liked you a lot before but I thought you wouldn’t look at me. So when your brother began talking to me I thought that I should move on from you.” Her eyes went to the front again and she spoke with a sad voice, “If only I’d waited a little longer…”

 

“Then we wouldn’t be here now.” Jun replied. “But I also wouldn’t have known what kind of person he was.”

 

Jun and Hyun Il were brothers, bonded by blood. That woudn’t change. They needed time, however, to forgive each other and move past their problems. Jun still lived with his brother and saw him everyday and day by day, he was talking to him again, forgiving him.

 

Yoon Ju avoided their house with a passion and instead called Jun to her house whenever she wanted to see him. Lately, it’d been more frequent.

 

And that all led up to one day.

 

Jun was sitting on her couch as Yoon Ju paced in front of him. He watched her with amusement, yet slight nervousness.

 

“Will you say it already?” Jun asked with impatience.

 

Yoon Ju spun around to face him and shot him a momentary glare, “You’re so impatient. I’m trying to think, okay? I can’t just say this like that. I have to think about it.”

 

“What do you have to think about?” Jun asked, rolling his eyes.

 

Yoon Ju paused, pressing her lips together. Jun stood up and walked around the coffee table to her. His hands were casually in his pockets as he looked down at her with a slight smile.

 

Yoon shut her eyes for a moment before opening them and smiling. “I love you.”

 

“What?” Jun’s eyes widened in shock. That wasn’t what he was expecting. Yoon Ju glared at him, challenging him to make her say it again.

 

He took a step towards her, wondering if this was real. She nodded to him.

 

Then Jun did what he had been waiting years to do, what he had always wanted to do. He kissed her.