Concerning Being in a Relationship with Both my Best Friends, a Powerpoint by Amber Liu

Concerning Being in a Relationship with Both my Best Friends, a Powerpoint by Amber Liu

Note: Non-descript AU. In my head, they're all college students, but there's really no setting here.

Warnings: Swearing, but just like the MPAA, there's only one f-word, so I let myself slide by with a PG-13.

 

 

A wadded up piece of paper hit Henry square on the nose as he was lounging on his best friend Amber's couch.

“Hey! What was that for?”

He looked over to the window where his other best friend, Kris, was scowling, looking down at the street from Amber's third floor apartment.

“Order us a pizza.”

“Isn't Amber supposed to be bringing back the takeout menu from across the street?”

“Yes, but I've been watching her greet every single person in the restaurant, and half the people passing on the street for twenty minutes now. By the time she gets back here, I will have died of hunger.”

A slight exaggeration, though Kris was a tall fellow who tended to need a lot of food. Henry stood up to look out the window, and did spot Amber in a very animated conversation with a group of five or six pretty girls.

“Fine, fine fine. Uh, I left my phone somewhere. Oh hey, I'll just use Amber's. Mmm, what would Amber's password be?”

“It's the number two – c – o – o – l , the number 4, and then the letter u, no capitals.”

“First, how do you know that? And second, that's the dumbest password I've ever heard of.”

Kris just gave him a look.

“Hey...--oly crap, you have to see this.”

“If it's not pizza, I'm not interested.”

“It's not pizza, but you really, really have to see this.”

By this time, Kris, had flopped all 6”+ of himself facedown onto the couch that Henry had just vacated. “I said not interested.”

Henry rolled his eyes, but walked over and shoved the phone screen in his face, reading aloud “AHEM. CONCERNING BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH BOTH MY BEST FRIENDS A POWERPOINT BY AMBER LIU.”

“I didn't know you could put powerpoints on your phone... I didn't even know Amber knew how to make a power point.” Kris yawned before actually looking at the screen.

“Holy !” Kris bolted upright immediately, grabbing the phone away from Henry. “I thought you were making that up!”

“Well, I wasn't.” Henry sat down on the couch next to Kris, fidgeting with one of Amber's rubix cubes he had picked up off the table.

“Ok. Slide 2. Personal info... name, age, height, ok, let's get to the juicy stuff.”

“Hey, I mean, maybe we shouldn't read it? Because we respect her privacy and stuff?”

Kris gave him a withering look and read from the phone “Slide 3: Reasons I love Henry”

“Well, I guess it was pretty disrespectful to make a powerpoint about us without telling us, and it's only fair that we should get to look at it.”

Kris smiled and ruffled Henry's hair. “That's my boy. Alright. Number 1. He makes me laugh (with him).”

“I am a pretty funny guy.”

“2. He's super talented and .”

“I am also super talented.... and .”

“And that's it.”

“What?! If she's supposedly in love with me, and she only has two reasons in the entire world as to why she likes me?”

“I mean, she did make a power point about how she's in love with you, how many other girls have ever done that?”

“The powerpoint is only half about being in love with me. Speaking of which, let's find out what she has to say about you, you giant, Canadian... giant.” Henry wrenched the phone from Kris, continuing to the next slide.

“Reasons I, I mean Amber, love Kris. Number 1. He makes me laugh (at him).”

There was a brief pause in the reading as Henry collapsed with laughter and Kris punched him a few times.

“2. He's tall and handsome.”

“See, I'm tall and handsome. You're just talented, or whatever.”

“Pffff, like I'd want to be loved for a shallow reason like being tall or good looking.”

“Well, that's good, because you're not either of those, according to Amber.”

“Well, according to her, you'd be replaceable by a mannequin with a rubber chicken stapled to its forehead.”

“A what?”

“Nevermind.”

They scrolled through the last few slides in silence.

Once they had finished, Henry spoke first: “So our best friend wants to be in a relationship... with both of us. How do we feel about that?”

"I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about it."

And that's when they heard the front door opening.

Amber Liu, much delayed, finally entered the apartment to a rather scary sight, both Kris and Henry sitting on her couch, staring straight at her, with identical, predatory grins. After a moment of confusion, she spied her cell phone in Henry's hand. Her eyes wide, she dropped her backpack and ran over to grab the phone, and slapped a hand to her face when she saw what was on the screen.

“Oh . Oh , oh , oh .”

“Amber, you've been keeping secrets from us.”

You really haven't heard scary, until you've heard Henry and Kris speaking in perfect unison.

“Um, uh. Haha, it was a joke? Funny, funny, ha...ha...ha?”

“Do you think we're going to buy that?”

“Please stop saying the same thing at the same time, it's way scary.”

“Come and play with us, Amber.”

“Ok, you guys.”

Henry reached out from the couch to grab at the drawstrings of Amber's hoodie.

“Why try to hide it, Am? You're totally in love with us.”

“Shouldn't you guys be freaking out? Because, like, I'm totally freaking out.”

“Amber, I have to say, you're usually a lot less uptight about stuff.”

“Um, maybe because stuff usually isn't us having a ?!”

“It is a little unusual, I guess.”

“Don't listen to Henry – he was freaking out when he first thought about it, too.”

“But now you've had ten whole minutes to think about it and it's all totally fine now?”

“Basically.”

“Did you guys even read slide 5: Reasons why this is a terrible idea? Number 1 – 'They'll never go for it'

“Well, here we are, so we can cross that off the list.”

“Number 2 – I'll be outnumbered and they'll gang up on me and bully me. Which, I think we can safely say is a legit concern, given that you guys are doing that right now.”

“But it's obviously something that already happens regardless of whether we're all in a romantic relationship together. So it's kind of irrelevant to the current discussion.”

“Number 3 – it'll be really difficult to explain to people.”

“Amber, you don't care what people think, remember?”

“Number 4 – it's selfish to hog two dudes all to myself.”

“That's a nice sentiment, but I mean, it's not like anyone else actually wants to be in a relationship with Kris. Ow! OW! Hey – come on, man – Amber – can you help me out here?”

Even though Kris glared at her, Amber walked over, and pulled Henry out of the crevice between the back of the couch and the wall, where Kris had wedged him.

He immediately wrapped his arms around her. “See, look how well we work together. And don't think we didn't also read slide 6,” he said, reading over her shoulder at the phone that was still in her hand, “Reasons why this is a great idea: Because I can't imagine being happier any other way.”


Amber suddenly looked very bashful, biting her lip, her eyes pointed at the ground. Kris rolled his eyes, and walked over to them, adding his arms to the pair that were already embracing Amber, and bent over a bit so his face would be in her line of sight.

“Amber, you're a sappy little . But I kind of love you. And so does Henry, but that's been going on forever, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.”

Amber only quietly replied, “Ok,” blushing, which was rare for her. But she blushed even harder when both boys leaned in to kiss her, one on each cheek.