Color Me In Love

Ever since he laid eyes on Mark, everything was beautiful, colored. And he not only loved Mark with all his being, he loved seeing all the colors that made him up. The creamy color of his skin against their dark bedsheets, those beautiful brown eyes that sparkled when he smiled, the light tint of pink of his plush lips, and of course the fiery red of his hair when he dyed it. Before he met Mark, his world was nothing but a dull monochrome. Everything was just different shades of grey. Jackson had always wondered what it must be like to see color... But he wasn't in any hurry to meet his soulmate. It was a terrifying thing to him.

That's just the way the world was. Everyone's vision was in a state of monochrome until that one beautiful person, their soulmate, came into their lives. Only then would they see everything as it was meant to be seen. But that didn't lessen the twinge of fear Jackson felt when he happened to run into Mark at some record shop. First thing to color was his hair.. That fiery red Jackson grew to love. He remembered Mark nearly dropping what he'd been holding when he shot a glance to Jackson. Undoubtedly because he was seeing some colors, too.

Jackson and Mark had taken the time to hang out often, getting to know each other better. And eventually they were dating. They were a couple years into their relationship when Jackson started hearing stories that hit too close to home. It started with his mother.. She had called him, in hysterics because his father hadn't come home and she was seeing monochrome again. He knew exactly what that meant. That meant his father had died somewhere. Probably in some accident at work.

That's when he subconciously caught himself glancing to Mark, remembering why he'd been terrified to meet his soulmate in the first place. He'd seen the beautiful colors of flowers, and the sky when it was bright and blue with its fluffy clouds and when it was grey and gloomy because there was a storm coming. He'd seen the stars twinkle against their dark backdrop with Mark sighing in content leaning against him.

But, by far, his favorite colors were the shades of pink Mark's face turned when he was complimented.. And the flushed color of Mark's cheeks when he and Jackson made love. He'd experienced these lovely colors, saw how beautiful the world looked outside the monochrome frame of mind, saw how gorgeous Mark was... And that's why he was afraid. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to protect him. Jackson had found happiness within splashes of color and another human being.

When one's soulmate died, their vision would return to that monochrome filter.

They lived each day just like anyone else: without fear of anything terrible that could be possibly looming around the corner. And for the longest time, they simply enjoyed themselves in each other's company. 

They took too many pictures, laughed too loudly, loved each other an almost impossible amount, and sometimes grossed out their friends with their public display of obvious romance and charm.

*                                                 *                                                    *                                                                      *

"What do you mean that's not romantic?" Jackson huffed as he held the phone to his ear, blatant offense furrowing his brows as his fingers toyed with a black velvet box.

The woman on the other heaved a sigh. "Proposing at home? That's a little lame don't you think? Why not take him to where you had your first date together--?"

Jackson scoffed. "That's so cliche, Youngji. This way it'll be a surprise. Mark's not keen on surprises but it's more the screeching shock factor."
"Honestly, Jackson, just do what you're comfortable with-" Youngji began, but she caught the sound of what she assumed was Jackson dropping his phone followed by a shaky 'oh my god.'

He blinked slowly, brows furrowed as he leaned down to pick up his phone. He had been dragged out of his thoughts by a concerned Youngji shouting his name, asking if he was okay. "No... I don't think I am okay.." Jackson's voice cracked as he responded to Youngji's questions.

Almost immediately, he began rummaging through his belongings, heaving a frustrated sigh before he threw the door open and ran outside as he mumbled a string of No-no-no's.

"Jackson! I need you to tell me what's wrong!!" Youngji was beginning to sound frantic, the sound of her quickly shuffling around her to slide on some shoes and the jingling of keys echoing into the phone's microphone.

Jackson's legs couldn't hold him up and collapsed under his weight, causing him to fall in the grass. He took in a deep breath, and exhaled shakily before he attempted speaking, only to have his voice crack, fingers still gripped tightly onto that black velvet box.

"I'm seeing monochrome again.."

 

A/N: So I added a couple new chapters and they're basically a choose your own ending thing. If you want to read both, have at it. Thanks for reading!!