I Chapter Two I

Scared and Selfish

Yoonjis pov

The next morning I was out helping my Mom hang up laundry, but after the neighbors came to visit she had left me to start a conversation with them. She mentioned my encounter last night and how she didn't find any evidence of any animal. The women let out a "Omo" and preceded to tell my Mother how some people had seen wolves around the land.

Soon the conversation came to an end but before they left they handed my Mother a basket of baked potatoes.

I bent down to get another shirt when my eyes settled on something in the shadows. There wasn't any glowing eyes, or sharp teeth, but I knew it was what I seen yesterday. Behind me, I could hear my Mom and Sister talking, they had no clue it was there.

I almost screamed when I seen its dirty hand come out from the shadows along with the other. Its nails were sharp, dirty, and jagged. When its feet came out they were the same and I anticipated the moment it shows its face.

Now, the talking behind me stopped. They had noticed it.

"Yoonji-ah, don't move. It could be one of those wolves they were talking about." My Mother said. If I wasn't frozen in place I'd turn and yell at her for saying such a thing. Surely wolves didn't have human hands and feet.

The thing moved closer to me, its body almost fully exposed. I was sure it was no wolf. It was wearing a torn, worn out sweater and what seemed to be jeans. A head covered in long, nappy hair peeked out, it was a boy. He peered at me, then behind me to my Mother and Sister.

I stood watching it curiously as my Mom walked over to stand next to me. "A boy..? What is he doing here?" She asked, mostly to herself. She bent down to meet his level. "Are....are you lost? Do you need help?" The boy just looked at her with wide eyes not giving a response.

"Hmm... maybe he's a mute?" Enuji bluntly blurted out earning a glare from my Mom.

The boy ignored them and began sniffing the air, then seeming to find a scent, snapped his head in the direction of the house. I followed his gaze to see the basket of potatoes still sitting about. I pointed to them, "Hungry?" He shot his head toward me and blinked.

With his eyes piercing into my back I went to grab the basket. Pulling out a single potato I held it out for him. He snatched it out of my hand and gobbled it down. Once he was finished he looked at the basket again. I gave him another and we all watched him tear it to shreds.

"What do we do with him?" We all thought about what Eunji asked. What were we going to do? He must have a home..

My Mother spoke first, "Well we have to get him cleaned up then he can sleep here for the night. Tomorrow I will take him to town to see if there's a missing child's report." She grabbed the basket from me and led him to the house using the potatoes as bait.

I looked at my Sister who shrugged and said, "It just makes this boring area more interesting."

-

My Mothers voice could be heard from the bathroom, she was constantly complaining about how bad the boy smelled. For some odd reason he didn't know how to bathe himself so my Mom was stuck doing so, though she still had him wear his boxers. She would continuously ask him questions about his life but he didn't mutter a word.

It had just past an hour when she finally came out, the boy following behind her. She scolded him for walking on his hands and feet and would give his back a little pat telling him to stand straight. After five hits she gave up muttering something about him being raised like an animal.

Now that he was clean I could see his features clearly. Small eyes, a long nose, and slightly plump lips. It'd be a lie if I said he was ugly. One thing that set me off was the mop of hair. I'd thought Mother would've taken care of that too.

He sat in the doorway of the bathroom just playing with the shirt he wore. When I took a closer look I realized it was one of my Fathers old shirts. An old blue plaid shirt. Just the thought of him made me weary. I didn't know much of my Father. The memory of him faded away just after I was 5 years old. But from what my Mother told me he was a good man, a very smart one too. He was one of the country's top scientist. He worked for the government since some of his experiments were a little top notch.  We got most of our money from him and I guess I should thank him if he ever returns. Mother said he will one day, what day she didn't actually say.

My Mother called out to all of us, "You girls go wash up dinners almost ready." She paused before continuing, "And help him too please."

A/N I'm just posting this here from my wattpad account so sorry if anything's wrong and if the chapters are short, the layouts are different :)