001

You are my song

 

In a congested kpop scene where idols are manufactured like plastic barbie dolls, there are few outstanding talents that breathe fresh air. Two of them were the balladeers and rivals Nam Woohyun and Kim Jonghyun. They were fighting for top spot since their debut days and both had trophies to brag and awards under their belts. Yet the two were friends in real life, even shared dressing rooms during Gayos and music festivals.

 

Woohyun was grateful to Jonghyun especially since the guy had been his bridge to snatch kfashion's top billed stylist The Almighty Key. Key was a childhood friend and the two were introduced to each other by Jonghyun himself. The two hit it off nicely and Jonghyun was beaming with pride as he watched them interlace their fingers and exchange romance in words and actions.

 

Jonghyun was gay himself and there were times when he would get jealous of the two friends but could he blame the lovebirds for finding their soulmate? He sighed as he took out his pen and paper, a habit he had been doing since high school, before he became a trainee, and started writing some words, phrases and then sentences.

 

He writes his own songs, that was perhaps his advantage over other singers in the kpop scene, he had debuted with songs he had worked on with the help of his agency and seniors.

 

It was a night he would never forget when he felt his heart felt alive. The moon was big and round, and he found himself on a lobby of a small restaurant in the streets of Myeongdong. It was small and homey and on weeknights, the place showcases indie music. Jonghyun liked these nights because he get to listen to real music and enjoy beautiful voices, unadulterated by the hravy bass of commercialized kpop songs.

 

One of which was a boy with his keyboard, a nerdy pair of glasses, blue knitted vest over plain white collared shirt and khaki pants. Totally smelled geek but Jonghyun found the boy's smile quite captivating.

 

Jonghyun looked on as the boy fixed his keyboard and then his glasses before he cleared his throat to get the attention of the small crowd. "I am Jinki and I will play a song I wrote, this is Moonlight, please enjoy." He said and flashed a nervous smile while the crowd applauded.

 

Jonghyun wrote the name of the boy and tapped the pen on the table as he fixed his eyes on the boy,  a pretty looking lad indeed. Jinki pressed a few keys and started to sing. 

 

La la la la la

 

Jonghyun's mouth gaped as he listened to the song, this Jinki guy was absolutely perfect and his voice was just impeccably great. Jonghyun had heard tons of songs since his debut but this one just struck him in a way that his heart was beating erratically inside his chest and his cheeks were burning. Oh how much he wanted to squeal loudly and just spazz over this Jinki guy.

 

And at that same moment, he had words flowing through his brain and he had written quite a few lines about the reaching for something that seemed near but so far. Ah, this must be love, he thought and soon, he was sketching a moon.

 

The song ended and Jonghyun was clapping along with the crowd. He stood and went to meet the singer but stopped as he saw the CEO of the other agency. He hid behind a cutrtain as he eavesdropped on the conversation. 

 

"I am extremely flattered sir but I could not write a song for idol groups. My songwriting style is much more on the ballad side." Jinki uttered and Jonghyun grinned at that.

 

"You are telling me that my boys are not talented?" The CEO fumed with anger.

 

"That's not what I said, that's what you understood. Idol groups are designed to sing and dance to catchy songs and those are not the songs I do. I compose songs that require emotion and technique, something that idol groups lack. Please excuse me." Jinki replied and Jonghyun smirked, he may look innocent but the boy has sharp tongue.

 

Jonghyun sighed as he returned to his apartment, he the lights and went inside his music room. He needed to write something, anything, as the words kept swirling inside his brain. It was weird but quite interesting at the same time. He had never written such many lyrics in a day like this before and that was surprising him.

 

Jinki was his muse, he had given him that inspiration to write songs, cheesy and cringe worthy but others had sense. Jonghyun couldn't even fathom the reason why he was so engrossed with the indie composer, perhaps his voice and oh so charming smile has captivated Jonghyun.

 

He yawned a bit and smiled as he went to his bathroom to change before going to sleep.

 

Jinki

 

He couldn't shake his mind off of the indie composer, and thst equated to alot of lyrics and even melodies that by the end of the month, he was presenting 5 new songs for his comeback album.

 

"You outdid yourself Jonghyun, these songs are you but not you." Siwon uttered, his ever supportive CEO.

 

"I want to collaborate with other artists on this album hyung." Jonghyun uttered and Siwon grinned.

 

"I talked to Kyuhyun and we had agreed to do a collaboration." Siwon grinned.

 

"You mean with Woohyun?" Jonghyun asked with light in his eyes.

 

"Oh yes, and we had agreed to release this as an OST, and we had already chosen a song for it. You're gonna love it." Siwon uttered and Jonghyun jumped in joy.

 

"I can't wait hyung thank you!" Jonghyun kissed the CEO's cheek and dashed of to call Woohyun.

 

"I am not gay Jjong please restrain yourself from molesting me!" Siwon shouted but laughed nontheless. 

 

Jonghyun found himself inside a conference room with Siwon as they waited Woohyun and Kyuhyun. The truth is, the two CEO's were rivals so to speak but they were in a group when they started and though they both started their agencies, the two had been remained friends professionally and in real life.

 

"I am so excited for this!" Woohyun chirped as he sat next to Kyuhyun, just across Jonghyun and Siwon.

 

"Me too Woohyun." Jonghyun remarked.

 

"We talked it over and we already chose a song for the OST but we got stuck with the name." Siwon uttered and Kyuhyun nodded.

 

"We want something catchy but not flashy. We want your voices to shine and your name should reflect that." Kyuhyun added.

 

"We are both Hyun. Can we work on that?" Jonghyun suggested.

 

"2hyun" woohyun said and the three looked at him with raised eyebrow. "What? When you were in Super Junior they call you KyuWon, can't we be 2Hyun?" Woohyun shrugged.

 

"We could start with it temporarily. Anyway, our composer is about to come and he's from the indie scene. He's really good and this will be his debut as a mainstream composer." Siwon uttered and Kyuhyun grinned.

 

"We have to bribe him pretty hard to give us the song." Kyuhyun said and the two gaped at him. "Kidding. He wanted to hear you two sing it before he agrees." Kyuhyun said and then stood.

 

"He's at the studio now. Let's go" Siwon said and led them to the studio.

 

As soon as they entered the  studio, Jonghyun suppressed a scream as the nerdy Jinki sat on the couch and adjusting his glasses as he wrote on his notebook. Siwon cleared his throat and Jinki looked up and quickly stood, bumping his knee on the coffee table in front of him.

 

"Sorry." He muttered as he blushed.

 

"This is Lee Jinki but his pen name is Onew." Siwon introduced him. "SCent's ace balladeer, Jonghyun." Siwon introduced Jonghyun who extended  a hand to the composer.

 

"And this is Woohyun, Gaem ent's famous soloist." Kyuhyun said and Woohyun shook hands with him.

 

"It's nice to meet you. Here is the guide, please listen to it. Here is the lyrics, I am not really adept in making lyrics." Jinki said with a pink stain on his cheeks. 

 

The technician loaded the CD and the sound of Jinki's soulful voice boomed and instantly captivated everyone. It was not the Moonlight Jinki sang a month before and this one was edgier and has stronger notes as compared to the previous one, and Jonghyun loved it.

 

"How was it?" Jinki asked nervously.

 

"Lovely." Jonghyun uttered. "But if you allow us to help you with the lyrics, it would really be a collaboration." Jonghyun said and Jinki smiled and nodded.

 

"I expected it, Kim Jonghyun has been known to be 100 percent involved in his album. But I haven't given my permission yet, let me hear you two if you can interpret my song the way I want it." Jinki grinned and Jonghyun smirked at him.

 

"Gladly." Jonghyun accpeted the challenge and went inside the booth.

 

"I like you already." Woohyun winked at him and went inside the booth.

 

Jinki sat in front of the controls and waited for the two to discuss the parts and how they'll manage the duet. This was not their first time to do a duet though because they have been doing special stages for music shows in the past.

 

"Anytime when you are ready." Jinki said and the two nodded.

 

The music played and the two sang the song like they were born to sing it. Jinki grinned and pushed the button to let him speak through the speakers.

 

"Well done, I am looking foreward to working with you." Jinki said and beamed a smile.

 

Jonghyun's heart was beating fast and he was almost hyperventillating. Woohyun ribbed him lightly as he grinned at him. "You like him don't you?" Woohyun whispered and Jonghyun pushed him away.

 

The three immediately did a brainstorming for the lyrics, changing the theme from breaking up to finding hope in a new love.

 

"Should we name the song Key to my heart?" Woohyun suggested and Jonghyun grimaced.

 

"Please don't include me in your grease!" Jonghyun uttered.

 

"I was kidding. I am going to ask my Bum to bring something to eat, want something in particular?" Woohuin asked and Jonghyun blurted his response quickly.

 

"Coffee please." Jonghyun said.

 

"Chicken please." Jinki replied and the two looked at him with gaping mouth. "What?" Jinki asked and the two shook their heads.

 

Woohyun took his leave to call Key and Jonghyun felt the silence that befall them thick and suffocating. He took a glance at Jinki who was writing and erasing notes on his score, glasses falling down the bridge of his nose and  making him look like a teenager doing his math homework.

 

"Uhm Jinki-ssi." Jonghyun called out, taking enough courage to talk to the composer.

 

"Yes Jonghyun-ssi?" Jinki looked at him and Jonghyun was loss for breath. 

 

Jinki's eyes were so beautiful and he saw something way beyond his expectations, he saw love just looking through those dark brown eyes and that perfect nose.

 

"Uhm, I... I think I found a fitting tittle." Jonghyun stuttered.

 

"What would that be?" Jinki asked, looking interested.

 

"In your eyes." Jonghyun blurted out. Actually he was thinking of somerhibg cheesy like at the dawn, were we met, love at the crossroad but heck, those eyes were just begging for it.

 

"I think it could work." Jinki smiled and then returned to the notes he was working.

 

Woohyun returned a little later with Key who was yapping his complaints saying that he was a stylist and not a messenger or an errand boy.

 

"Who wants chicken? This fattening junk is absolutely tasteless and freaking unhealthy!" Key nagged but stopped when he saw the composer. "Oh my gosh Jinki hyung!" Key shrilled as he dropped the chicken on the table and ran towards the composer who outstretched his arms for the stylist.

 

"How have you been Kibum?" He inquired and Key was almost in tears.

 

"Fine. Oh my gosh I haven't seen you in ages!!!" Key exclaimed then pulled Woohyun towards him. "He's my boyfriend!" Key said and Jinki nodded.

 

"You two are contradicting but, i guess those differences complement each other." Jinki smiled.

 

"So you ordered chicken, I should have known." Key grinned as he handed the chicken to Jinki.

 

"I need my chicken!" Jinki laughed and dug into the fatty goodness of the chicken.

 

"Oh Jjong!" Kibum remarked and Jonghyun beamed a smile.

 

"Got my latte?" Jonghyun aske dand Key nodded.

 

"I can't believe you agreed to work on the mainstream hyung." Key remarked but Jinki was too immersed in his chicken.

 

"Hyung?" Jonghyun dared to ask.

 

"Yeah, he's older than us yah know puppy head." Key remrked and both singers gaped at him. "Thought he was still in High school? He get that all the time." Key informed them.

 

"They sing well, my song would be given the justice it deserve. I avoided mainstream because of manufactured idols." Jinki commented as he finished a leg before he took another leg.

 

"How d'you know each other?" Woohyun asked and Key grinned.

 

"He's the hyung I told you about. He works at a bookstore." Key said and Woohyun had a light bulb moment. 

 

"Oh yeah. It's an honor." Woohyun bowed at Jinki.

 

"He's bluffing." Jinki dismissed him and returned to his chicken.

 

"Hey Woohyun, what do you think of the title 'In your eyes'?" Jonghyun asked and Woohyun raised 2 thumbs up.

 

"Sounds nice." Woohyun said, winking at Key who laughed at him.

 

They finished the song and Jinki played it in his keyboard as the two singers sang their parts, it was lovely despite being a rough draft and Key applauded after they ended. 

 

"I think we just made a perfect OST Song!" Jinki remarked and yawned.

 

 

"Let's call it a day." Jonghyun suggested and everyone agreed.

 

... 

 

A/N: will cut it here for now