walking

Wish

 


 

Strolling down an empty street, a narrow alley, a shortcut used to get from one major street to another. The only equipment they had bothered taking with them was a camera, not even its tripod too. They wanted the video to be raw, to feel real, bare of the magnified illumination handheld white panels cause. It was only them: Taehyung walking slowly ahead, hands deep in his jacket’s pockets, Jungkook following closely behind, steadily holding the camera focused on the older boy, eyes narrowed in determination. He wanted to let none of Taehyung’s expressions, steps, twitches to go unrecorded. Every slight action the older would display, Jungkook recorded diligently.

 

«A special video, » Taehyung had explained, excitement twinkling in his eyes, his dark brown orbs shining even more than usual.

«Just a video, » had thoughtfully hesitated Jungkook, anything to distract himself from the swelling of his chest. The older boy had come to him first, asking for his help.

«Let’s add that cover of Adele’s song you did the other day. »

 

Taehyung had lighten up like a Christmas tree then, gracing Jungkook with a brief but tight nevertheless hug, and running off to the studio to get the audio file from Namjoon’s laptop. “Someone like you” was a special song to Taehyung, the perfect accompaniment for his special video. Jungkook knew.

 

The firm hold he had of the camera had loosen as the youngest reminisced. As if feeling the lens no longer on him, Taehyung paused on his tracks and twisted his upper body to glance back at Jungkook. His almond shaped eyes were hooded with a melancholic shadow, still immersed in the whirlwind of emotions the song always brought. He had spent long hours with Namjoon, the elder correcting his pronunciation and explaining as best as he could the meaning of each phrase. He had never before seen Taehyung so passionate about learning an English song. Whenever he’d have precious free time, Taehyung would spend some of it reciting the lyrics under his breath, the emotions behind them clear to him even if he couldn’t understand everything. Namjoon had smiled when he had told him that. Music was just music.

 

“What’s wrong?” he softly asked, voice deep and husky, so much different than its constant bright timbre. Jungkook stared. Because Taehyung’s neck was craned beautifully, his hair swaying smoothly as the chilly wind of December blew through the alley. Because he looked perfect.

Jungkook could only shake his head and drop his eyes on the camera instead. He was afraid that if he stared too much at the other boy, one day he’d be unable to stop, unable to reassure himself anymore that this was enough. Straightening his arm, he gave a meek thumbs-up with his free hand, holding back an awkward cough so that the lonely, silent bubble surrounding them wouldn’t burst violently. Taehyung resumed walking, his face now looking up to the grey sky. It was about to rain, they had to wrap up their amateur filming quickly. Still…

 

Jungkook wished that moment could last forever, that they remained trapped in an endless loop of Taehyung pacing up and down the alley trying to get the emotions and actions just right, and Jungkook watching him, wordlessly captivating his flawless form in a way he knew would never do the older boy justice. Taehyung was too much of everything – too loud, too bright, too precious, too timid, too loveable… – to convey in a two-minute long video.

Yet, Jungkook tried his best, and when he replayed the videos later that night (tens of times each), he also wished the little smile on Taehyung’s lips at the very last second of them were reserved only for him.

 

He wished, and wished, and wished…