Final

Glue Me Back Together


Kim Taehyung knows he shouldn’t be having these feelings – for another boy no less, and especially for one of his fellow band members – but it’s hard not to when Jung Hoseok is so damn perfect.

He can’t help the cute way Hoseok’s hair curls around his temples after he starts to sweat ten minutes in to dance practice. He can’t stop the butterflies from batting against his rib cage when the corners of Hoseok’s eyes crinkle up in laughter at something Jungkook says. And he certainly can’t control the spark of arousal that ignites at the sight of Hoseok’s toned muscles rippling beneath beautifully tanned skin.

Taehyung forgets to breathe as he watches Hoseok take off across the floor, executing another impeccably timed move.

Like Hermes’ winged sandals, he muses; awed by Hoseok’s ability to fly through the air despite the clunky sneakers he wears. Even his legs are y.

Distantly, he recognizes Namjoon’s voice calling for a break – his surroundings snapping back into focus as six boys crash to the ground. Taehyung sprawls next to them and becomes hypnotized by their reflection; the rapid rise of their chests oddly multiplied by the mirrored walls. A lump catches in Taehyung’s throat when he spots Hoseok goofing off in the corner with Jimin, an arm automatically hooking around Jimin’s neck to keep him in place so the older boy can ruffle his hair.

The smile Hoseok gives the squirming boy is full of warmth and adoration.

And Taehyung realizes in that moment that Hoseok will never look at him the same way Hoseok looks at Jimin.



Namjoon knows something is wrong.

It’s his job as leader to look after the members’ health, and seeing one of them suddenly turn pale and run out the practice room door cannot mean anything good. Especially since the one who left is Taehyung: the eternal ball of sunshine that has somehow become a small raincloud in just minutes.

Coupled with the fact that Taehyung has been spacey as of late – more so than normal – Namjoon picks himself up and follows in the boy’s wake. He waves away the worried glances from Yoongi and Seokjin, and the looks of confusion from the rest, before closing the door quietly behind him.

It doesn’t take long for Namjoon to find Taehyung by the muffled sounds of uneven breathing around the corner of the hallway. What he’s not prepared for is the sight of a crying Taehyung, head bowed and body curled in on itself. His arms are hugging his knees so desperately that his fingernails are biting into the flesh below his shorts.

Namjoon’s first instinct is to hold the shaking boy and kiss the tears away. But that’s not what a leader does. That’s not what boys do.

So he gives Taehyung the only thing he can: a reassuring pat on the head.

The touch startles Taehyung and his head whips up to level Namjoon with a lost, watery gaze. The pain he sees etched in the younger boy’s features breaks his heart, drawing Namjoon to crouch down in front of him.

“Tae, what’s wrong?” Namjoon asks gently, waiting for Taehyung to compose himself while the older boy shifts into a more comfortable cross-legged position. If Namjoon’s voice falters, nobody mentions it.

“He d-doesn’t l-like me, hyung,” Taehyung eventually chokes out, bottom lip quivering. Namjoon can now see how red and puffy his eyes are, as well as the dried trails that stain his cheeks.

The leader frowns. “Who doesn’t like you, Tae?” Who could ever hate you?

When Taehyung averts his eyes and doesn’t answer immediately, alarm bells go off in Namjoon’s head.

“Tae?”

It’s barely audible, but Namjoon swears he hears Taehyung mumble Hoseok’s name. He’s confused, but relieved to say the least.

The two probably had a fight or something, he reasons, shaking his head. “Don’t be silly. Of course Hoseok likes you.”

“Not in that way,” Taehyung shoots back and it takes a full two seconds for that to sink in.

“…Oh.” So that explains the weird behavior.

Namjoon isn’t sure what to do with the information. It doesn’t help that Taehyung is giving him an apprehensive look like he’s afraid of what Namjoon might do. Maybe he expects him to yell or walk away in disgust, but those are the farthest reactions from Namjoon’s mind … because Namjoon is in love with Taehyung.

Somewhere between the packed schedules and late night practices, he had fallen for the 4D alien’s charms. Namjoon reckons it started the day Taehyung twirled into their shared bedroom to announce that he had finally chosen his stage name (“It’s V, hyung! V for victory!”). From then on, it was a nonstop train of rectangular smiles and dorky antics that Namjoon couldn’t avoid. Not that he’d want to.

Namjoon had known he was headed for dangerous territory. It didn’t matter that he felt secure with his ual orientation; it was the fact that the fans, let alone the company and the rest of Korean society, would never accept such a relationship. Plus, he had no idea how Taehyung would react if he ever confessed. Would he laugh it off? Would he be grossed out? Or worse, would he even understand what Namjoon was trying to say? (He’d sooner die than tell Taehyung that his habit during performances makes Namjoon want to jump him on stage.)

That’s when he had made a silent promise to Taehyung that he would not act on his feelings and ruin their friendship. He would not put everything that they had worked for, including the reputation of Bangtan Sonyeondan, in jeopardy for a crush.

But setting those sorts of feelings aside was easier said than done – especially when the person of your affections is an adorable little . So Namjoon had compromised with himself: if he couldn’t give up his feelings entirely, it couldn’t hurt to dote on Taehyung from time to time. The kid was eager to soak up attention and it was a way for Namjoon to work through his pent up emotions.

Little did he know that that plan would backfire, and one year later he would have deeper feelings than he had ever thought possible. (Yoongi, ever perceptive but never judgmental, once joked that Namjoon was the sole founder, member, and president of Team Taehyung.) But Namjoon had believed that he would be okay since Taehyung’s lack of interest in anyone would keep him in check.

That’s what he thought at the beginning – and now this.

“Hyung?” Taehyung croaks.

Right, back to the present. “Yes, Tae?”

“Hyung, do you hate me now?”

“What? No! Why would you ask that?”

“Because I like a boy and liking boys is wrong?”

Namjoon sighs and leans forward, trapping the younger’s head between his hands and pressing his forehead to Taehyung’s. “Listen, Tae. There is nothing wrong with you liking another boy. Despite what the world tells you, you should always follow your heart.”

“Does that mean I shouldn’t give up?” Taehyung sniffs hopefully, a bubble of snot forming at the tip of his nose. Namjoon wipes it away with his long sleeve, not caring that Seokjin will kill him later for using his borrowed shirt that way.

“If that’s what you want, then you should fight for him.” What the hell are you saying, you idiot?

“Then … will you help me, hyung? Will you help me catch Hoseok-hyung’s heart?” The boy can barely contain his growing excitement, and Namjoon doesn’t have the strength to turn him down.

“Of course I’ll help you,” Namjoon says with a resigned smile. “What are hyungs for?”

Taehyung’s answering grin is the final nail in the coffin. Namjoon’s heart aches for the last time.

Yes, Taehyung. Even if I have to keep your relationship hidden from everyone, I will do anything for you. Anything to make you happy.

Once again, the leader is left to pick up the pieces.

Because a good hyung takes care of his dongsaengs.

Because Namjoon made a promise.



Around the corner and unbeknownst to the two, a lone figure listens to the whole exchange.

With a heavy heart, Seokjin slides down the wall and sobs into his fists.

Taehyung.

 


Inspired by Rapmon on ASC, who said that he secretly takes care of V.