Key of G

Key of G

"Am I late?” she put down her guitar at the side and took off her sweater,”

“Not really,” her classmate, Janine, answered. Then they heard screaming outside their room. “What's that?”

“I have no idea,” She answered and ped her guitar case. “I’ve been practicing this piece but can’t get the fifth line right,”

“That’s the hardest part,” Janine commented. “have you decided on your recital?”

She rolled her eyes. “No idea. I am darn busy to even think of it. I might not joining,”

“Oh please, Mr. Music man will flunk you,” Janine said.

“I don’t care. I just want to learn to play the guitar,” she answered. “and you, what are you playing?”

“A ballad from the 80’s” Janine answered.

“Nice. Call me if you’ve time so I can be the first to listen,” she smiled. “What is that noise outside?” she became more irritated and can’t concentrate on playing.

“Guys, you’ve got to see this,” one of their classmate barged into the room panting.

“Please Rick, we’re trying to master this piece,” Janine said.

“Music man brought someone. And he’s effin handsome,” Rick shrieked.

“Miss Rick, better practice this piece or you’ll flunk the exam,” she warned.

“Oh, crap, Mika, teach me the fifth piece.” Rick grabbed her guitar and sat beside Mira.

“I’m having a hard time mastering that line as well,” Mira answered. “Ask Music man,”

“hey have you heard?” Another student came in to the classroom

“Yeah, yeah!”Janine said. “so loud!”

“And he’s coming to our class,” She shrieked.

“Huh?” Mira looked at her. “Who’s coming to our class?”

“Duh! I thought you heard about him. Music man is bringing someone to our class. According to the other students I asked outside, he’s an idol in Japan, China, I didn't catch it. I had a glimpse of him and he’s you're idial man. Tall and sooo handsome!”

“Quit shrieking will ya,” Mira was irritated.

“And he’s multi-talented,” she continued.  Then students started rushing into the classroom. “talk to you later.”

“Ok, everybody listen up,” music man started. “Someone will be here next week to listen and be a critic before the recital. Be sure to practice. Don’t embarrass me in front of an idol,”

Janine raised her hands. “ Are we playing individually?”

“Everybody will be given 3 minutes to play and everybody will play one single piece” Music  man answered.

 

"Where the hell have you been?" Janine  scold her as she helped her ped the guitar case.

"I didn't realized the event will take much that long," Mira explained. "How many minutes do we still have?"

"15 minutes. Hurry and freshen up" Janine shooed her to the  dressing room.

"Don't touch my guitar, I already tuned that up," Mira ran to the dressing room.

"Phew!" Mira exclaimed. "Finally!"

"I made a slight mistake at the fifth line," Rick admitted.

"I noticed it but  you did fine," Mira agreed. "Oh by the way, I'm leaving after the sem,"

"Leaving? Transferring to another school?" Janine asked.

"I'm going back to Korea with my mom,"

"No way!" Janine was the first to react. "No way,"

"I've to take care of my mom. I've no choice," Mira explained.

 

Mira sipped from her coffee and sighed. She sat by the Starbucks in Myeongdong watching the busy people moving here and there. The university advised her to attend some courses and the professor will evaluate her which course she will take hence she might be advance or behind the courses. She can speak Korean well but not that fluent and she has problems in writing. "This is harder than I thought," she picked her bag and left.

The first day at the university gave her a headache. Running from one class to another is a disaster.

"Man! How long do I have to put up with this schedule?" she whined as she entered the cafeteria. Her energy kinda elevated when she saw foreigners. She moves in with the queue. "Hi, I'm new in here," she set her tray down.

"Oh, your english is good," one girl commented.

"I grew up in the States," She answered.

"Oh, sit down," another girl offered.

She started to get used to her schedule until the dean asked her to the office. It was discussed that she was quite advanced in learning and she can jumped for the last year for the next semester.

She has to be in performing arts to be admitted in the club. The president reitersted further that it's her last year so there's not much to do. They accepted her though but was told that it will be hard since she will be on her OJT's, graduation papers and everything.

           

Mira decide d to kill the time at the mall. They are to check out another house. She got off school early and her mother will be off work in two more hours. She was excited when she saw a music store in the mall. She tried the guitars one after the other strumming one song after each other. A certain guitar caught her attention. She checked the price. 'phew! Not in my dreams' she thought but picked it anyways. She started to strum Jason Mraz, I'm yours. She knows the song by heart but don't know what was the right key. She started getting frustrated when she can't get the right key. She closed her eyes, leaned to the chair and started to strum again.

"Try key of G," it was a whisper but enough to made her jumped of the chair.

"Huh?" she  gripped the guitar steadily. It almost hit the floor and heaven knows how expensive it is. She cannot afford it for now. "How long have you been watching me?"

"long enough." he answered. "Key of G would work. Here, let me show you," Mira handed him the guitar and he started strumming the tune. He played like a pro.  The played right key and he plays it perfectly. He even sang the song. 'Wow!  her english pronunciation is good.' she observed.

"Awesome!" she clapped her hands. "I think I'll try to use key of G. It sounds easier." She answered her phone. "oh hi mom, I'll be there in a min," she hung up and pocketed her phone. "hey thanks, by the way I'm Mira  and you are?" she extended her arm.

"Oh, Jong Hyun." the guy accepted the hand shake.

"I wish to get your email but mom's in a hurry. She'll fuss if am late for a min," she laughed and waved."bye and thank you for the short lesson,"

           

"Jong Hyun-ah, your off today right?" his mom was on the phone.

"Oh, no mommy. You know what happens when we get out together," Jong Hyun already knows what his mom is going to say. She'll be asking him to accompany her.

"Comeon, I know you're trying to make excuse just to spend time playing again. I'll pick you up at 3," his mom hung up.

"You'll be fine," his mom assured him as they claimed their seats. It's a variety show to raise funds for the orphanages.

"Mom, how long will this take?" Jong Hyun whispered to his mom. He accompanied her mom to a charity program. Much that he doesn't want to go, afraid that fans might spot them, he loves his mom not to say no.

"One more Jong Hyun..shhhh, next is the group I've been supporting. Let's hear what they are going to sing,"

It's a large group of kids. Jong Hyun was keying his password in his phone when they started singing. He looked at the group and saw a girl playing the guitar. She grabbed the flyer from her mom's grasp. "so that's where I saw her" Jong Hyun muttered and read the flyer. "Lee Mira,  now that's funny"

The song ended perfectly. Mira was sweating and nervous while playing.

 Miss Jung who sang with her did great and praised her as well. "Good job Miss Lee. That was perfect. You played better than my boyfriend." she whispered. "And don't tell him that,"

Mira laughed. Miss Jung's boyfriend had a sudden meeting and she asked her if she can do the accompaniment. She only have 2 weeks to practice. The song was quite difficult but she managed to pull it off.

She didn't expect the big crowd. Now she wanted to find that Jong Hyun guy she met at the music store and thank him  for suggesting to use key of G.

The last kid left the room when someone knocked. The door wasn't closed and Mira was busy tidying up. Mira ran and threw a hug when she turned and saw who was at the door. "Oh my God! I pulled it off! Thank you very much! "Wait..wai.." Mira released him. "Which group are you with?" Mira offered a chair but Jong Hyun declined.

"I came with my mom. You did great!"

"You don't know how nervous I am when I saw the audience. I'm glad it's done," she confessed. "Oh, why don't we grab coffee....oh." she scanned her purse and wrote her number on the note pad. "here, give me a call when it's convenient to you,"

"I will," he slipped the paper to his pocket. "it was nice seeing you again,"

"I'm heading out as well. Mom's probably fussing outside," both headed to the exit. "See you," Mira hugged him again

He was surprised by her action. He hugged her back as not to embarrass her. "I'll call you"

True to his word, he called that night and well kinda every night.

Mika flipped her calendar. "it's clear. Are you taking me somewhere?

"how about watching a movie and we'll go for a walk afterwards,"

"sounds like a good plan. I'll see you on Saturday,"

           

Mira wore a summer dress and was fondling which shoes to wear with it. "mom, which one is the best with my dress?" she went to the living room.

"Oh, my baby is going for a date. Is he a korean guy?" her mom surveyed her dress. "hmmm..." Mira wasn't listening to her mom. Her eyes were glued on the TV. "Mira, are you listening to me?"

Mira jolted. "Oh, which one,?"

"The silver one and don't stay out late."

"Mom, is he an actor?" she pointed at the screen. "Oh, damn silly! of course. What's his name?"

"I didn't catch it. Lee Jong Hyun something. I'm not sure. He's handsome isn't he?" her mom replied.

"Lee Jong Hyun huh," Mira repeated softly. "Oh crap! Got to go. Bye mom," she slipped on her sandals and left.