Insomniac

Sleeping Pills

Sleep was never kind to him. It never comes when he needed it the most.

After hours of twisting and turning he finally gave up. It will be morning in a while and he hadn't slept for even a second. It happens almost every day and he couldn't seem to get used to it.

He decided to leave the confinement of his room. It always makes him feel trapped and had always been a reminder that he was alone. Ever since he could remember, he never had a family he could call his own. Other people would have pictures of their loved-ones posted on their walls but not him. He only have a wall clock (the ticking makes him crazy and the clock tells him how time flies so slowly specially when he did nothing but lie in bed all night) and a few other paintings he decided to hang on the wall just so it wouldn't look dull. Besides the psychiatrist insisted it would help with the depression and eventually the insomnia. They had been hanging on his wall for almost two months now but apparently it wasn't much of a help.

He went to the park like he usually does when he couldn't sleep. It was deserted since it was still early in the morning and the sun is yet to rise. Sunrise wasn't really his favourite part of the day. When you're able to witness it every single day you'll get tired of it eventually.

The breeze was too cold for his taste. He wrapped his jacket tighter around his body seeking some more warmth.

He saw the bench where he usually lay down. It had been her personal place for quite a while. He went over and lay down with his arms as his pillow. Perfect.

The sound of the chirping birds lulls him to sleep. His eye lids were starting to get heavy until finally sleep took over. He slept for sometime just to be woken up by someone poking his cheeks.

When he opened his eyes he saw a girl smiling at him as if poking a sleeping person on the cheeks is the most normal thing in the world. He stretched out his arms before sitting up. He checked his watch and realized he only slept for 30mins. Not enough even for an insomniac like himself. The shortest time he slept in a day was an hour. He just broke his record.

“What do you want?” he demanded.

“I was wondering what colour were your eyes.” He should be mad at the girl for waking him up from his precious sleep just to know the colour of his eyes but surprisingly he wasn’t a bit angry.

“What colour are they?”

“How could you not even know that?”

Of course he knows. He always thinks they were the ugly shade of brown. “They’re dark brown,” he told her to make her know that he knows.

“It’s the colour of chocolates. I love chocolates.”

She didn’t exactly say ‘I love you’. ‘Your eyes are the colour of chocolates and I love chocolates’ does not really equates to ‘I love you’. However for some weird reason he wanted to think that’s what she said.

 

The following night he couldn’t sleep again. He went to the park and sleep for an hour or so just to be woken up again by a voice of someone. Maybe next time he should sleep on the forest instead of a park. There are just too many annoying people who like disturbing a sleeping person.

“Are you awake?” she wasn’t speaking too loud but being the light sleeper that he was, he woke up immediately. The moment he opened his eyes he saw the smiling face of the same girl he met yesterday. For a moment, he forgot he was about to curse whoever it was who disturbed his slumber.

“Great! You’re up. Can you help me?” He noticed she was holding a camera in her hands.

“How?” he asked while rubbing his eyes trying to focus his attention to the girl who seemed to have a big problem on her hands.

“I need you to hold me up while I take a picture of the sunrise.”

And so he made her sit on top of his shoulders and held her securely making sure she won’t fall down while she was making her masterpiece.

“Move a little to the right,” she said and he did. “Perfect.” All the while, he was wondering why he wasn’t sleeping and instead he was helping a girl take a picture of the freaking sunrise.

 

He found out afterwards while they were having breakfast on the nearest ramen house that she was actually a photographer.

“I take pictures of sceneries and sunrise is my favourite.”

“Why do you like the sunrise so much?”

“Who doesn’t?”

“I don’t” he admitted.

“Why do you hate it?” she asked as if what he was saying is beyond her understanding.

“I don't hate it. I just don't like it.”

“Why don't you like it?”

“Because it means it's already morning.”

“Don't you like mornings?”

“No, because it means I no longer have time to sleep.”

“Why don't you sleep at night?”

“I couldn't.”

 

He suddenly found himself always looking forward to their silly talks even if it means he couldn’t get enough sleep (much less than his usual 3-4 hours a day) Talking with her is like a melody for a musician, road for a car, water for a fish and air for his lungs. He could no longer live without it. So much that if he goes to work without meeting her first he wouldn’t be productive for the entire day.

“Are you homeless?” she asked him one day. It was actually a surprise that she only asked about it now. “You don’t really look like one. You’re too handsome to be homeless.”

“I have a house.”

“Then why do you always sleep outdoors where it’s cold.”

“Because my house is colder.”

 

After their usual breakfast, he invited her- well it was more like she forced him- to take her to his house. After he mentioned that his house is cold, she seriously believed it just needed some warming up. He can’t really tell her that the reason why he hates his own home is because he lives alone.

She didn’t stay long though. She just looked around a bit, moved some furniture here and there (without his permission) and then she left with a promise that she’s going to be back the next day to finish her project.

She did come back the next day and she had all these huge pictures of sunrise, forests and meadows with her. They were beautiful and he seriously believed they might work.

She took down the paintings hanging on his wall saying they were ‘ugly as hell’ and ‘where did you even get this freaking painting of a woman?’

After taking down every bit of his expensive paintings, she then started hanging the pictures she brought with her. One particular picture caught his eye.

“Is this…?”

“Yeah, it’s the picture you helped me took at the park the other day. I made a copy and framed it. I thought it will look good on your wall. Besides, you were always able to sleep at the park so maybe if I make an exact same scene you don’t have to go to the park every day”

He stared at the picture she hanged on the wall and for the first time he noticed how pretty the sunrise really is.

 

That night, for once after a very long time, he was finally able to sleep on his own bed but only to be woken up by the sound of his phone ringing.

“Just checking if you’re asleep.” He heard her say on the other line.

“I am.”

“Then why are you talking with me right now?”

“Because you want me to talk to you.”

 

The next night at 2 in the morning while he was already in deep sleep, she called again.

“Let me guess, you wanted to check if I’m sleeping?”

“No, I was going to ask which colour would look good on me. Blue or black?”

“You look good with anything,”

“You’re not helping. I don’t know what to wear for the exhibit tomorrow.”

“What exhibit?”

“Just tell me what to wear and I won’t bother you anymore.”

“Fine. Blue. What time is the exhibit?” She hung up without saying anything more.

 

The next day he had to do some research just to find where and when her exhibit is. When he reached the venue he was surprised to see that it was packed with people. He knew she was pretty good but he had no idea she was this good. He went inside and what he saw surprised him even more. There in the middle of all the pictures of sceneries and sunrise was a picture of his sleeping face.

At the corner of his eye he saw her walk up to him. “I thought you only take pictures of sceneries,” he said without taking his eyes off the photograph.

“I broke a lot of my rules when I met you.”

He turned to face her and he noticed how pretty she looked in a blue dress. She also had a flustered look on her face. He thought she couldn’t get any prettier but she did.

“I love you,” he said out of the blue. Alright, maybe it was too sudden but it was just the spur of the moment plus the fact that she was freaking gorgeous in that blue dress and too damn adorable with her flustered face.

“I have something for you,” he told her before giving her the box of chocolates he held in his hands.

“Chocolates?”

“You said you love them,” he said feeling a little stupid for giving her chocolates when he should be giving her a ring and maybe some flowers too.

“Thank you. I didn’t think you would remember.”

 

They had dinner together that night and he told her to pay because he said she should feel guilty for making him ditch work just to come to her exhibit in which she responded with “Not my fault. No one told you to come.”

In the end she agreed to pay only because the chocolates he gave her taste heavenly.

“Want to live with me?” he asked her suddenly. Maybe he was moving too fast but his heart just wouldn’t stay still. Besides he wanted to sleep peacefully without having her calling him in the middle of the night asking whether he was sleeping or not. Maybe he was a little stupid for asking something which he knew would be refused anyway.

But she surprised him when she said, “Ok.”

 

The next day they were lying in bed together (he only have one bedroom so they had to share) when she said, “Say it again.”

“Say what?”

“That you love me. I didn’t get to say ‘I love you too’ back. Say it again so I can answer.”

“Alright,” he gave her a kiss before saying, “I love you.”

Her face turned crimson red and he just loves it. She looks lovely when she blushes. “I love you too,” she said before she snuggled closer to him.

He pulled her closer in response. Her scent was intoxicating. In a few minutes he could hear the sound of her even breathing. He could feel his own eyes drooping. He knew he was about to fall asleep. If he knew this pretty girl beside him would be more effective than any other sleeping pills, he wouldn’t have taken so long to confess. That night he slept longer than all the hours he slept in a week combined.

 

-----------------

A/N: I was supposed to make this into a 2min fanfic but it turned out differently. Please do comment XD I'm feling like crap and your comments might help