"You're a potato."

Potatoes

 

 

Baekhyun can still remember the day they met with crystal clarity, even though it was all the way back in Kindy.

He has already been there for a year then, and Baekhyun was as comfortable being there as his teacher is familiar with his shenanigans.

It was raining the night before that day, so he was trying to dodge his teacher's watchful eyes to go and play on the giant puddles outside, but it was another story to try and get out of her grip on his hand. She has grabbed him the minute he stepped foot on the room and hasn't let go since, preferring to drag Baekhyun around the room to greet the rest of his classmates, knowing fully well how Baekhyun and puddles spells out a big dripping mess of a disaster. Baekhyun isn't worried. There will be plenty of chances to get miss K distracted.

Then, there was a knock on the door.

She pulls an unwilling Baekhyun with her to stand at her side while she talks to a new parent on the other side of the door. Baekhyun remembers they were talking about boring grown up stuff, but he was glad because miss K was not noticing him pulling his hand out of her claws. 

He stood there next to her for a while before slowly going back into the class and looking back to check on her. When she doesn't make any movement to give chase, Baekhyun bolted to the door he knew will lead to the outside playground.

That was the first time he saw him. He hadn't really cared much for the boy at the door whose mom was talking to miss K because he was only thinking about the puddles, but he remembers.

He remembers the lump of body of either a very chubby kid or simply covered in layers and layers of clothing. He also didn't see much of the kid's face because it had been covered by a beanie and a long wooly scarf, but he remembers his eyes. They were large and curious as they peeked from under the overly large beanie. He also remembered the fleeting thought about the boy, wishing for him to be a new classmates. 

New classmates mean miss K not paying attention to him, which means more puddle games for Baekhyun. He might even get a fun new friend to play with. It was an all win situation for Baekhyun.

It was later when he was sopping wet, dripping mud on the floor half shoeless and being dragged back into his classroom that he was really looking at the boy. Miss K was holding his hand again and was using her other hand to go through his bag to look for the change of clothes his mom has packed, so all he could do was stare at the interesting new boy. This time, he was also staring back.

Without the jackets, he can see that the boy is actually very small in addition to being short. Shorter than himself. The scarf was still around his neck, but it was now loose, and he can see the bottom of his face clearly. His nose looks very red, like Baekhyun's mom when she is sick, so that must be why he was wearing lots of jackets earlier. Most importantly, he remembers he can see his eyes clearly, now that he is not wearing his beanie. They were large, clear, and very brown. It reminds him of somehing.


Once he was all clean and dry, miss K had sat him down with the rest of the class who are on the table quietly eating their snacks. He got the chair next to the new boy who is sniffling because of his cold. Miss K told him to be nice to the boy because he isn't feeling too well. She said his name is Kyungsoo. Baekhyun remembers spending that snack time observing him, but all he did was nibble on some grape and occasionally sneeze to his too long scarf.

 

He couldn't remember the first time he had formulated that thought but for the longest time, the small new boy is a potato in Baekhyun's mind. Potatoes are brown, like the boy, Kyungsoo's eyes. They don't talk, don't move unless he rolls it around and his mom says he shouldn't because they get hurt when he did. He tried rolling Kyungsoo once, during naptime. He yelped really loudly, so it must be true. Kyungsoo is a potato.

Baekhyun doesn't really like potatoes. They're kinda weird and lumpy. He told his mom that once. His mom told him not to be mean to the potatoes because they grow up to be chips, but Baekhyun thinks his mom was just lying again because he watched one in his room for 3 whole days and they didn't change to be chips. Kyungsoo isn't really weird or lumpy, unless he is wearing the big jacket again. But Kyungsoo is boring. Like all potatoes.

"You're a potato", he told him once.

He had been staring at Baekhyun's eyes, and all baekyun could see was his big brown potato eyes, so he told him.

Baekhyun thought he was going to cry because his words has hurt the potato's feelings, but all he did was frown and punched Baekhyun's arm really really extra hard. Even though miss K said that punching people is bad. Baekhyun thought Kyungsoo is a really really hard potato.

 

The year after, Kyungsoo's family moved next door. He didn't really like it when his mom made friends with the mom potato, but it turns out Kyungsoo has an older brother, Chanyeol. Chanyeol wasn't round like Kyungsoo, he was pretty tall. Baekhyun has never seen a long potato before. One time, his mom made him play with potato brothers, and Baekhyun discovers that Chanyeol wasn't such a potato like Kyungsoo. Chanyeol's eyes aren't very round, and they're not even brown!

Playing with Chanyeol was actually all sorts of fun. He likes to play the same things Baekhyun plays like pirates and climbing and jumping on puddles and tag, so that even though it's really not fair because Chanyeol is bigger and much quicker, playing with him was fun. Maybe Kyungsoo is the only potato in his family.

He asked his mom about it one time.

"Mommy, is Chanyeol and Kyungsoo's mom a potato?"

She looked at him for a long time before asking him another question.

"Do you think she looks like a potato?"

"Ummm.... No."

"Doooes she do things potatoes do?"

Baekhyun thought for a bit. Potatoes stays still. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's mom runs really fast when Chanyeol was about to put a worm in his mouth, so... No.

"No."

"How about noises? Does she sound like a potato?"

Baekhyun giggles. She makes a lot of noises to talk to his mom about grownup stuff. Potatoes doesn't make any noises.

"Nope!"

"Then do you think she is a potato?"

"I guess not"

"There you go, there's your answer"

"Okay"

So Kyungsoo is a lonely potato then.


The weird thing is, although Kyungsoo is a proven boring old potato, Chanyeol likes him loads.

"He's my brother", he said.

"Of course I like him. Isn't he cute?", he told Baekhyun while petting Kyungsoo's head with a smile. Kyungsoo just kept reading his boring book. Baekhyun doesn't see it.

"Nope", he says to Chanyeol. Kyungsoo is still not looking at him.

"WHAT???!? Really??!?", Chanyeol questions loudly.

Baekhyun nods a little because loud Chanyeol hyung is very shocking.

"Eeeeveryone says Kyungie is cute. Jongdae and Joonmyeon said so, and Kris hyung, and even Jonginnie hyung!", Chanyeol says excitedly.

Baekhyun doesn't know the people Chanyeol was talking about. Except for Jongin hyung. Jongin hyung is cool.

"But how can he be cute?", Baekhyun wonders. It makes no sense. Potatoes are too dirty to be cute. His mommy said he has to always wash his hands after touching one. Baekhyun doesn't normally see any dirt on Kyungsoo, except for the time Baekhyun wiped mud on his face just to see what it would look like. Kyungsoo punched him again that time and Miss K still didn't see. 

"Okay, look look! Kyungie has very big eyes! See!", Chanyeol then nearly pokes Kyungsoo in the eye as he points, "It's very very brown, so its extra cute!"

Baekhyun was going to tell Chanyeol hyung brown is like potatoes, but he hasn't finished yet so he waits.

"Kyungie is also teeny tiny so it's nice to hug him like this", he demonstrate with a violent glomp that envelopes his brother completely.

"Hyuuuuuung", Kyungsoo whines and goes back to his book with a pout as soon as Chanyeol releases him.

Chanyeol laughs, but Baekhyun still doesnt see it. 

"See, Kyungie's mouth is cute too! Jongin hyung says Kyungie's smile is like a heart! Show him Kyungie!"

Baekhyun thinks that if Jongin hyung says so, it's probably true, but the potato finally speaks.

"Hyung! I'm trying to read!", he scorns his annoying brother.

"You can't read!", Baekhyun accuses. He can't, so Kyungsoo can't either.

"I can too!"

"Liar! You just look at the pictures!"

"I look at pictures too", Chanyeol pipes in.

"But you can read! Kyungsoo doesn't know the story!"

"I do too!!", Kyungsoo shouts. He looks very angry now. Baekhyun didn't know potatoes can be angry. Maybe that's why his mom has to chop them.

"Look, I'll tell you the story", he says, flipping back to the front.

"Once upon a time..."

Baekhyun didn't really mean to, but Kyungsoo's voice made him listen to the story. The potato doesn't usually talk too much, so Baekhyun wonders what he talks about when he does. 

So Baekhyun listens as Kyungsoo tolls the story about a really mean pirate that kills everyone, including his cousin pirate and everything was super scary, but then there was a little mouse that rides a cool rocket and he goes on an adventure to save everyone inthe world from getting eaten by the pirate. In the end, the pirate accidentally fell into a well, so everything was okay again, and the little mouse gets a unicorn best friend and they both ride a cool rocket together. 

"... The end!"

"Yaaaaaay!!", Chanyeol claps at his brother.

Kyungsoo beams at Chanyeol, and turns to Baekhyun, "See, I can tell the story!"

Baekhyun still thinks Kyungsoo can't read, because the pirate in the book looks more like his dad, and the unicorn looks like a goat, but the story he told was really really good.

Baekhyun thinks of lying to him and say that he didn't like the story at all, but his mom said lying is bad, and Baekhyun doesn't really want Chanyeol hyung to think he was a bad boy. Besides, Kyungsoo is getting up to grab another book, and Baekhyun really wants to hear about this one too.

"Okay", he says, "Read that one too then."

"Okay!", Kyungsoo says.

Kyungsoo may not be a bad potato after all.

"Once upon a time..."

Plus, Kyungsoo's mouth really did look like a heart. For a potato, Kyungsoo is pretty cute.

The end.


A/n: hope I didn't dissappoint~

I was trying to write something cute and childish as in from a kid's perspective without necessarily making them sound like some sort of slow version of normal adults. Idk, I hope that made sense. Sorry if it got a little adhd. It was a bad idea to edit  when sleepy. Goodnight~