Mistake and Sadness

Eternal Sunshine

Kyuhyun stays wide awake even though it’s already midnight. He gazes at the ceiling of his empty temporary cell. Thinking how things really can change even in a day. Yesterday he slept in his room, alone. Today he sleeps in this cell, still alone. The police haven’t decided to made him a suspect, because the prove is still not enough. He is still gazing to the ceiling, thinking how his life is totally messed up. His childhood, all the sadness that he has been through, his nightmares, how people treated him…

He sighed and closes his eyes. Wishing it was all just a dream. A very bad dream.

 

The next day, Siwon is sitting in his office while reading some report when Hyukjae came in a rush.

“Boss, you should see this!”

 

Both of them are now walking in a rush to another side of their office department.

“How this is happened again?” Siwon asked.

“You know that we already send the photo of that girl to media so if people knew her they can call us.” Hyukjae starts to explain.

“Yeah, and?”

“A TV station also aired a news with the girl’s picture, then a prisoner watch it when they are having breakfast. Right after he saw it, he started screaming.”

“What did he scream?”

Hyukjae looks at his boss, “He said that it was his daughter.”

 

Minutes later, Siwon and Hyukjae are sitting in the interrogation room once more. In front of him is the prisoner that Hyuk told about. His name is Kim Yejun.

“So this is your daughter?” Siwon asked while showing the picture of the dead body of the little girl in the box.

Kim Yejun wipes his tears, and reached the photo.

“Yes… This is Yunhee.”

“With whom she live? Her mother?”

Kim Yejun shakes his head, “my wife died in childbirth. She lives with my brother…” He wipes his tears again, “it must be him who killed her.”

“Do you know him?” Siwon asked while showing Kyuhyun’s photo.

Kim Yejun looks at the photo then shakes his head again, “no.”

"Are you sure there is no one else that have motive to kill your daughter? Any other family member?"

"No, we don't have any family left. It's only me, my wife, and my brother. Then Yunhee born, my wife died. We need money, but I got caught when I tried to steal something. That's why..." Kim Yejun continues while wipping his tears.

Siwon waits until Kim Yejun can control his tears, “do you have your brother’s address?”

“They live in a caravan, they moved continuously, but still in the same neighborhood, around Jeong-Dong.”

“Do you know the caravan’s license plate?”

He nods.

“Please write it for us.” Hyukjae gives Kim Yejun a piece of paper and a pen.

He writes it then began to tears again, “when I get arrested, I asked my brother to take care of her, my angel, my poor little angel…”

Siwon looks at the crying man in front of him, then looks at Kyuhyun’s picture in front of him.

 

*

 

“Mr. Cho.”

Kyuhyun heard his name being called, he woke up from his sleep and found Hyukjae in his temporary cell.

“We’ve found the real murderer of the case, you are proven to be innocent. This officer will take you out and give your stuff.”

Kyuhyun looked at him for a second, before realizing the situation. He stands up then rubs his face while chuckling bitterly.

“This is pathetic.” He said.

“We’ll give a confirmation letter to prove that you are innocent, Mr. Cho. We are really sorry for all the trouble that we gave you.” Hyuk said again, he never really good at this, but at least he tried.

“Is your boss can’t even face me? Is he always asked his man to do things like this? Is apologizing too much for him?” Kyuhyun asked, can’t hide his anger and sadness.

No. He used to do this all by himself, Hyukjae thought. “We are really sorry, Mr. Cho, but we are only doing our job.”

Kyuhyun stares at him for a while, Hyuk can see the anger in those brown eyes, but more over he can see how much pain and sadness in there.

 

*

 

Siwon is looking out to the window, his mind can’t help thinking about this case, and Kyuhyun. Turns out that the little girl, Kim Yunhee killed by her own uncle. Kim Gihwan, her uncle, killed her by an accident. He was a little bit drunk and Yunhee somehow made him angry. Once he knew his niece is dead, Gihwan is panicked then dump the body in the crime scene. He found a box near that, and used it.

Cho Kyuhyun used that box in the day and dump it in there, his finger prints are happened to be there meanwhile Gihwan already alert and used a gloves the minute he knew he killed his niece. And with the fact that Cho Kyuhyun has no witness to prove he is innocent making him in a worst place.

Siwon is still looking out to the window. He just happened to be in a wrong place at a wrong time, isn’t he?

 

Hyukjae came to Siwon’s room, finding his boss isn’t working at all like he said. Rather than working, Siwon is staring at the window for quiet long time until he realizes that Hyukjae is already in his room.

“Oh Hyuk, sorry.” Siwon said, then pretending to busy with his computer.

“You are not doing the report.”

“I am.”

“You are staring at the window.”

“Only for a while. You know how my eyes are easy to get tired.”

Hyuk stares at his boss for a while. Even though Siwon is his boss, he is also his friend. They’ve been hangout frequently along with the other staff outside the office. So Hyuk knew when something is troubling his friend.

Siwon as the head of this Crime Lab said that whenever they got the wrong guy, he’ll be the one who apologize. He did it for 3 years, until now. Hyuk is kinda shocked when Siwon asked him to sort out the things with Kyuhyun, tell him to that he is proved to be innocent and the Seoul Crime Lab apologize to him. Hyuk got more shocked and confused when Siwon’s reason is because he had a lot of reports to do. It’s not like they’ll spend hours to see Kyuhyun.

“How did it go?” Siwon then asked, he can’t hide his curiosity in the end.

Hyuk sighed, “bad. He is angry.”

“Oh. That’s… normal.” Siwon said while still pretending to do something in his computer.

Hyuk eyed on him for a while, “rather that angry, he is sad.” He said, enough to make Siwon took his eyes off from the computer.

“Why are you like this?” Hyuk asked.

“What?”

“I know you better, Siwon-ah. You might be my boss, but I’m also your friend. The first time I joined this time, you always said that if we catch the wrong person you’ll be the one who apologize to them.”

“….”

“So why now?

Siwon  sighed, “Hyuk, you are dismissed.”

“What?” Hyuk frowned.

“You are dismissed.” Siwon repeated, with more serious tone this time.

When Hyuk gone, Siwon is back looking to the window once again. Wondering why he can’t face Kyuhyun, why he is acting this way.

 

-

 

Siwon got out from his office almost midnight. He finished all the reports, it is not urgent, but he just don’t have any mood to go home. He walks slowly to his car in the parking lot. It is dark, there are only a couple of street lights, there are also only 3-4 cars including his car.

When he is about to reach his car, he can feel a movement behind him. Siwon is a head of a crime lab for 3 years not for nothing. He turns immediately his body, but what facing him behind him is what shocked him the most.

It is Kyuhyun, standing not so far from him, pointing a gun in his face.

Siwon quickly raised both his hands after noticing the gun. He can just pull his own gun from his pocket, but his situation it’s too risky.

“Kyuhyun…” Siwon said slowly.

“Oh, so you still know my name?” Kyuhyun laughed bitterly.

“Of course.”

“Of course. I’m glad you don’t forget that easily the name of the person whose life destroyed by you.” Kyuhyun said while looking to Siwon’s eyes, hatefully.

Siwon didn’t dare to say anything, he waits for the right moment to pulled his own gun.

“You know what I came home today? Boxes of my things in front of my place, thrown away by my girlfriend. She apparently also called my work place, saying that the police took me in charge of murder, so I’m also fired. Great isn’t it?” Kyuhyun said sarcastically.

“Kyuhyun, you need to talk to someone.”

“I AM TALKING TO SOMEONE!” Kyuhyun yelled, making Siwon jerks a little bit.

“I am talking to you, aren’t I?” He said again, this time softly. Siwon can see his eyes are starting to tear up.

Kyuhyun laughed bitterly again, “anyway, I’m not here to kill you, Choi Siwon. I just want to warn you, that one day, I’m gonna go to your house and kill myself on your own yard. So you’ll remember me, and haunted by the guilt for the rest of your live, killing innocent people.”

Kyuhyun took a deep breath, then pull down his gun. Siwon is quickly pulling his own gun, making Kyuhyun smirked. He raised both of his hands, then slowly walks further from Siwon.

Siwon is still pointing his gun, until Kyuhyun is far enough. He turns around then runs. Meanwhile Siwon looks around him, making sure there’s no one around before took his gun down the get into his car.

On the car Siwon took a deep breath, he can’t forget not only Kyuhyun’s words, but also his eyes, even with the smirk, or the bitter laugh, Siwon can still feel it, the sadness.

“Rather that angry, he is sad.”