Final

The mysterious case of flowers

         

Gardenia

 

It is the cold autumn breeze and classes that are just terrible and nothing but dragging and tiring makes Kyuhyun whimper under the lazy afternoon. He decides that he’ll  take a quick shower and play a few rounds of his Starcraft before sticking his nose to his books. He can make it anyway since he’s one smart chemical engineering student and requires only a few minutes acing his assignment for the next day. So he saunters his way to the lockers with a scarf around his neck and his hands tucked in his gray trench coat.

On his way, he furrows his eyebrows in annoyance yet with a little hint of bliss when he sees a white flower, a gardenia, he concludes as he fixes the strap of his bag on his right arm.

He picks it out from the door of his locker and scans the hall. Now, Kyuhyun, the introvert, anti-social, lean and lanky, thin boy wonders: who in their right mind would give him a flower. It’s unusual for a man to receive stalks of wonderfully crowned with big dresses as petals or is it unusual for anyone to like him, Cho Kyuhyun.

You see, Kyuhyun, however you can actually put this, is the snarky, arrogant boy that crushes rookies in every Starcraft game and disrespects his seniors in club meetings because he knows more compared to them. There are only two people in the university who can make his tongue tied. And Kyuhyun hates it by account, because a combination of these two is just too much.

“Yah!” Heechul, the first person who can shut him up and make him whim like a kid, crushed and melted with his deathly stare, croaks behind him and Kyuhyun turns around to see the glint of evil behind the chocolate orbs under the long bangs.

“Another flower?” Heechul asks, grabbing it and looking at it intently. Kyuhyun nods and grabs the book on Calculus before shutting it close and stares at Heechul.

“You know Kyuhyun,” Heechul begins as they start walking down the hall. “I’m surprised that you keep on receiving flowers and yet everyone in the department hates you.”

Kyuhyun only focuses in walking and tightens the scarf around his neck. He terribly needs a session to play his Starcraft because it’s been a while and nothing excites him more but crush zombies and chop of their heads. And he wants nothing but to get away from Heechul’s endless rants.

“It’s just a flower,” Kyuhyun mutters as they got out of the building and shivers at the wind. It’s almost evening, late past five when he hears a loud squeal from a great distance. He rolls his eyes and crosses his arm to make himself warm. And for the record, he dislikes it too, someone giving him flower because undeniably, everyone in his department hates him. All majoring in chemical engineering despise him. Sort of.

“The voice professor ditched off class,” the voice in an exceptionally loud voice, more of a hyper squirrel-like chirp and Kyuhyun stops before Henry, who’s carrying a violin case behind him and a notebook in his other arm, giving him a plain look. And no, he’s not the second person who can make him shut up but the other person approaching them is and Kyuhyun wants the ground to eat him up alive because he wishes to go straight to his dorm and start killing and crushing zombies in his laptop. All the commotion gathering around him speaks otherwise.

“Don’t tell me your professor ditched your class too?” Heechul inquires and Sungmin shakes his head before he pants out in between breaths. The mist coming from his mouth creates white smoke and he looks up to meet Kyuhyun’s annoyed stare.

“A Gardenia?” he asks and Henry peeks from his back and smiles.

“Really? A gardenia?” Henry repeats before stopping himself to throw a loud laugh. All three seniors gaze at him and Kyuhyun starts to get worried with the stifle sound Henry is making. It’s a good thing no one is around except them because Kyuhyun really wants the ground to eat him up alive with the bunch of goofballs surrounding him.

“What does it mean Henry?” Sungmin looks at the violinist and Henry wipes the tears in the corner of his eyes.

“In flower language it means, ‘I’m in love with you’,” Henry explains and both Heechul and Sungmin follow Henry with a loud fit of giggling and chuckling. Kyuhyun snatches the flower from Heechul’s hand and heads on his own leaving three loud doofus crying for his name. But he ignores them. He’s more interested in playing and spending a few free hours on his games before crunching on his homework.

Kyuhyun enters the dorm and stares plainly at the man whose back is facing at him. He had his headset on and reading on the desk. He just looks at the small frame and shakes his head.

He remembers that Henry’s professor had ditched them for a free cut and Kyuhyun curses because he has to play silently now. His roommate Ryeowook doesn’t like to be disturbed when he’s listening or studying or anything of any sort and Kyuhyun lets out an annoyed sigh. How else can he enjoy playing when he has to stop himself from pressing the keyboards harshly and click the mouse button too wildly.

But no one can stop him from his games and Kyuhyun still turns on the speaker thinking that Ryeowook wouldn’t hear him behind the headset. Controllers sprawled on the bed and laptop on his lap, Kyuhyun basks into happiness for killing a few zombies when Ryeowook snaps and stands up from the chair.

Kyuhyun freezes. He stares blankly at the retrieving figure out the room with his iPod and few books. He doesn’t miss to see the annoyed look on Ryeowook’s face.

He cusses in his head when a zombie hits his character on screen.

 

    

Sunflower 

 

“I really don’t like him,” Kyuhyun mutters after taking a bite from his apple and Henry eyes him behind his grilled cheese sandwich. It is rowdy day in the cafeteria and Henry had joined him for lunch.

“He’s a good man, hyung,” Henry reasons out, finding no reason to be mad at him because Ryeowook’s a wonderful guy. His small, petite and fragile but in the most admiring and dashing way. Ryeowook’s cheeks are pointed down, exposed and defined that it might pierce his skin in a very magnificent way. His eyes are round yet sharp and the way they beams are just exceptional but Kyuhyun finds it utterly displeasing. He hates everything about his roommate. How he’s silent most of the time, and not that Kyuhyun is talkative but being stuck with Ryeowook has a different unpleasant effect that it creeps him most of the time.

“I mean it, he’s sweet, lovable and charming,” Henry adds, drinking his milk and Kyuhyun rolls his eyes in reply. Charming my , he thinks.

Kyuhyun places his bag on the table and shows Henry a long sunflower stalk from the inside. Henry smiles. His beams widens because Kyuhyun received another flower from his secret admirer. "Apprceation. That person appreciates you, huyng."

“I received it this morning,” Kyuhyun bawls and admires the sunny yellow flower in his grasp. “I still can’t think of anyone who’d been wasting money for this.” He stresses but Henry didn’t miss the smile lingering on his face.

“I thought Heechul hyung asked around already?”

Kyuhyun scowls as he takes the last bite from his apple and places the flower atop his zipped bag. “He did, and well, everyone in the department laughed at the idea of someone giving me flowers.”

Henry sees a familiar figure approaching them.

“I’ve been looking for you,” the voice speaks and Kyuhyun cringes his face but goes back in his straight face when Ryeowook faced him.

“The professor is asking for a dry-run,” the boy in small frame across Kyuhyun says and Henry nods before shuffling his things inside his bag and Kyuhyun just sits there in silence. Ryeowook doesn’t’ even bat an eye at him and Kyuhyun doesn’t really care. By all means, please, leave, he thinks to himself and Ryeowook does as told, as if he heard him.

“See you later hyung,” Henry shouts and Kyuhyun just nods. Instead of looking at the men in front of him, he stares at the sunflower and Ryeowook gazes at him carefully before turning his heels and heads out the cafeteria.

“Hey, you’re rooming with Kyuhyun-hyung ever since, right?” Henry asks and Ryeowook smiles at him before letting a furious nod. “But why does he hate you so much?”

Ryeowook just stares at him.

 

 

For weeks, Kyuhyun had been busy with Calculus, experimentations and readings and his silent life in the dorm isn’t much of something to tell because nothing happens between him and his roommate. Ryeowook just comes in and out before and after class. He would take a nap in between hours and study silently. He dines out too, leaving Kyuhyun feel like he have the entire room for himself.

It was a weekend and just like the same weekend, Ryeowook’s out early for giving piano lessons on the nearby village. He learned it from Henry because he wouldn’t ask Ryeowook personally where he’s off to every Saturday morning and no, he’s not concerned or curious at all.

He has errands to do for himself too and that’s nothing of Ryeowook’s business. As an additional source of income, Kyuhyun walks dogs on weekends and owners pay him for his service. It’s a plain job, really and almost anyone can do it.

Kyuhyun likes dogs and he enjoys the morning strolls with them at the park. He fetches Nana, a two-year old golden retriever from one of the houses at the near subdivision. Nana gives him a wet slob as Nana wags her tail in delight. He’s happy to see Nana too and ruffles its fur.

As they head to cross the street, a young boy with skateboards in one arm runs after them and Nana barks at the figure advancing towards them. Kyuhyun waves with his free hand while pulling Nana from crossing the street.

“Hyung!” the boy greets and Kyuhyun smiles at him a small smile. Nana is bouncy and hyper all at the same time.

“Minho,” Kyuhyun says and Nana Minho’s face before they start to walk again to the park.

 

 

“Really?” Minho says and Kyuhyun lets a forced laugh before resting his back against the bench and the younger boy looks at him with squinted smug eyes.

“I know it’s been like forever and always sunflowers but you received a gardenia this time, and I mean, really? A gardenia?” Minho repeats and Kyuhyun rubs the back of his neck, he feels bewildered and shocked himself. He watches Nana play with other dogs without a leash and if there’s anything that’s wonderful in his life right now, that’s Nana giving him a laid back Saturday every time.

“Can’t I receive flowers too?” Kyuhyun hisses and Minho tries his best not to laugh.

“I mean, okay, it’s just that— you don’t know who this person is and I don’t know…this person seems to fall for you hard,” Minho replies. He whistles right after and Nana runs its way towards them.

“What tone are you implying?” Kyuhyun asks as he puts the leash on Nana’s collar.

Minho shows him a funny smile when his phone beeps.

“Oh shoot, I totally forgot my piano class,” Minho croaks and Kyuhyun looks at him surprised.

“You’re learning piano?”

Minho stares back as he carries the skateboard in his right arm. He ruffles Nana’s head one last time and turns to his heels.

“Yes, and I’m late. I got to go hyung!” Minho marches off and even before Kyuhyun can ask who his teacher is, Minho’s already gone. Kyuhyun glances at Nana and Nana gives him a weird dog smile. Kyuhyun just rolls his eyes.

 

 

For the record, Kyuhyun has no particular reason why he hates Ryeowook. It might be that one time when Kyuhyun was asking him if he wanted to eat dinner with him and Ryeowook just ignored him and left. It could also be that one time when Kyuhyun offered Ryeowook milk since he’s staying up late for the prelims and Ryeowook ignored him again and decided to leave the room. Right then he concluded that Ryeowook is one arrogant prat that thinks that everything is just to be taken for granted. He decided to ditch Ryeowook off because despite all efforts to show how he cared, Ryeowook’s acting so insensitive.

But most of the times, Kyuhyun can’t help but feel sorry for him since Ryeowook came all the way from the countryside and the life in the city is just as exciting as it is terrifying. He doesn’t know anyone, or he doesn’t have friends and he needs to survive on his own. And Kyuhyun sees all of the anxiety and tension creeping in Ryeowook behind the laptop screen at night because he still cares for Ryeowook. But he doesn’t want to oblige himself from playing the nice guy is Ryeowook will only push him away.

 

         

Hibiscus

 

It was almost Christmas break with only a few days left for final exams before class will finally end and Kyuhyun itches just to stick his on the bed and play till classes resume next year. His parents went to Austria to support Ahra in her first solo recital and he decides to be left behind excusing that he has tons of school works to accomplish before the breaks end.

Heechul flies to China and decides to spend the break in Shanghai with his boyfriend  who he met from the foreign exchange program few semesters back. Sungmin and Henry went to their families and Kyuhyun would enjoy the break when he doesn’t see Ryeowook pack his things. He ignores it and instead dashes off to class.

And just like always, he drops by his locker and his jaws drop at the sight. Taped carefully on his locker door are stalks of hibiscus and he bites his lips at the teasing gazes he receives from his upperclassmen and the weary peeks from the underclassmen.

He strides quickly and pulls it even before Heechul can appear and slides it into his bag. He grabs his notes and calculator before slamming the door loudly and off he runs towards his room.

“Seriously, rare beauty?” Sungmin mutters as they hang out in the nearby cafe the last day. “I mean, rare beauty, you?”

“Stop ing like Heechul hyung, Sungmin,” Kyuhyun retorts while sipping through his hot drink.

“That’s Sungmin-hyung to you,” Sungmin replies and the latter just rolls his eyes.

“Anyway, you have the entire break to find out who gives you flowers,” Sungmin says as he gets up and curls his lips into a feline-like smile. “I heard Ryeowook’s going to spend to holidays here too. Just like you.”

Kyuhyun glares at him and scowls remembering that he’ll be stuck with the arrogant prat for a couple of weeks and he isn’t sure if he’s going to or he’ll ever going to like that idea.

 

Kyuhyun spends his mornings that week walking the dogs. He hangs out with Minho on his free day. It is snowing most of the time and yet Kyuhyun and the other dogs seem to enjoy this kind of weather even more.

“I have the most amazing piano teacher,” Minho says as he rubs his hands together and Kyuhyun tucks a free hand in his coat while holding Loki’s leash, a one-year old black Siberian Husky.

“You have the most amazing person in everything,” Kyuhyun comments and Minho stares blankly at him.

“That’s why I find it remarkable that someone keeps on sending you flowers hyung,” Minho croaks and cringes his face at the drop of snowflakes on his face. 

Kyuhyun doesn’t answer but continues walking, guiding Loki off the street but in the sidewalk instead.

“Anyway, if you want you can spend holidays with us, I’m sure mum wouldn’t mind,” Minho comforts and Kyuhyun just shakes his head and smile.

“I’ll keep my roommate company,” Kyuhyun replies and Minho laughs at him.

“I thought you hate your roommate?”

“I do.”

In his defence, he does hate Ryeowook, he’s annoyed at him in totality. But recently, even before the break starts, Ryeowook would go in late and leave the room so early, even before the sun would rise and Kyuhyun finds this intriguing. Not that he’s concern. He’s not at all concerned. He’s just curious, yes, curious is a good word. Then again, maybe he is concerned, a little bit.

One evening, Kyuhyun is still up crashing enemies and killing characters on screen when Ryeowook enters their shared room with a messy hair and wrinkled shirt. He doesn’t say anything but pretends he’s playing while Ryeowook scans for clothes in his cabinet and gets inside the bathroom to change. Kyuhyun still pretends he had his eyes on his laptop when Ryeowook gets in bed, pulls the coverlet on his chest and lets out a heavy sigh.

Kyuhyun is wearing his headset on but places it down as he searches for the figure in the dark. The only light emitting from his laptop isn’t bright enough to see Ryeowook’s fidgeting figure.

Soon, after minutes of just pretending that he’s actually playing, he hears a small sob and Kyuhyung blinks behind Ryeowook. Is he crying, he thinks to himself. He waits for another sound and when he did, he closes his laptop down and places it on the table before he walks towards Ryeowook and places a warm palm on the man’s shoulder.

“Ryeowook?” Kyuhyun whispers in the cold dark room. His voice is raspy and reedy from staying so silent for some hours and his hand is trembling faintly from all the heavy clicks on the mouse and keyboard. Ryeowook doesn’t answer and ignores him again.

He tries to calm himself, notwithstanding Ryeowook’s pushing and sits on the bed, his knees pressing on Ryeowook’s back. Ryeowook is fidgeting and undeniably crying.

“What’s wrong?” Kyuhyun asks again and this time he tightens the grip on Ryeowook’s shoulder and he tries to lean closer, his breath ghosting a little on Ryeowooks neck.

Ryeowook turns around and Kyuhyun sees the wide orbs despite the murk and lack of light. He looks so weak and flimsy that Kyuhyun had to stop himself from hugging him and taking him in his arms because it might surprise him. He cups Ryeowook’s face and Ryeowook only trembled even more.

They were silent and he continues to cry even if Kyuhyun’s already there beside him, looking at him, holding him. He bawls and Kyuhyun can’t take it anymore. He thinks thought that Ryeowook’s must’ve missed his family and the way he and his family celebrate the holiday. So his pulls the coverlet off Ryeowook and sinks in beside him. Ryeowook is still in sobs not really minding what’s happening.

Kyuhyun latches an arm around Ryeowook by the waist and pulls him closer. Ryeowook continues to sob and weep in his embrace until he falls asleep and Kyuhyun continues to rub his palm against his back until his soft intakes of breath reverberates the room.

A few days later, Kyuhyun finds out that Ryeowook’s mom died and he tries to look for other part-time jobs so he can feed himself. Kyhuhyun then tries to understand him more and little by little as each day pass, Ryeowook learns how to coax out of his shell. Kyuhyun enjoys his company even if they only exchange smiles most of the times.

He also learned that the reason behind Ryeowook's mean attitude is because he's shy towards Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun promised not to laugh at that.

 

Forget-me-not

 

Classes resume quickly, and not to mention harshly than ever anticipated. Projects and reports pile up nonstop and Kyuhyun squeezes in his readings while walking dogs to the dog park. Kyuhyun got back track with keeping Ryeowook company that he had forgotten finding out his secret admirer; not that he did mind because he clearly enjoyed the holidays spending time with his roommate. Even if at times they share this awkward or heavy silence every once in a while.

He only remembered about the flowers bombarding him when a single stalk of forget-me-not taped wonderfully on the locker door covered gently with plastic. He had to admit that he’s starting to like whoever the person behind this antic. He smiles as he holds the flower and rushes off to fetch Bruno, a nine month old pug he’s tasked to walk now.

He is mesmerised with the bright baby blue and purple colors of the flower and the way they are stalked into one thin stalk, pompous and just wonderful. Bruno is running after a brown chihuahua and is totally forgotten by his human.

“True love,” Minho chirps and Kyuhyun almost jumps on the bench. He drops the flowers and raises his feet carefully not to squish it.

“Don’t you have piano lessons to attend to?” Kyuhyun replies and Minho just beams at him.

“My teacher still has class,” Minho replies as he arches beside Kyuhyun and rests his elbows on the backrest. He watches Kyuhyun gazing his eyes on the flower and he can’t help but feel tangy just seeing his older friend.

“Let me guess, you still have no idea who’s the person behind it,” Minho chirps and Kyuhyun nods at him. He hears Bruno bark but ignores it as soon as it disappears.

Minho stretches his back and sighs, “Anyway, good luck on that.”

 

 

Minho whistles his way to the piano centre and smiles widely when he sees his teacher all hurdled on one of the piano stools. He seems busy, Minho thinks to himself. He silently places his bag on one of the shelves and walks behind him, tiptoeing lightly, cautious not to startle his fragile teacher.

Ryeowook is busy writing something and Minho can’t help but feel curious on its content or whoever the sender is. He tiptoes higher and his brain just snaps when he loses balance and fall on Ryeowook’s back. Ryeowook tumbles down, shuffling the note and pen away, making if fall on Minho’s face. Minho winces in pain and opens his eyes as he felt a piece of paper on his nose.

Kyuhyun

He blinks and he grabs it just to see the content better this time.

Kyuhyun

He blinks quite rapidly this time and eyes Ryeowook who’s still rubbing his bruised left cheek.

 

--

 

“What happened to you?” Kyuhyun asks that evening when Ryeowook enters their room. He shrugs it off with a half-smile but Kyuhyun isn’t convinced. He pulls Ryeowook’s bag off his shoulder and pushes him abruptly to sit down the bed.

He leaves the room and dashes towards the fridge from the kitchen leaving Ryeowook dazed and stunned.

Kyuhyun comes back carrying an ice pack and shoves a band aid with a picture of cartooned giraffe printed on it. Ryeowook blushes lightly and smiles.

That night, in his sleep, he's been trailing routes around the band aid Kyhuhyun had carefully placed on his cheek.

 

Lily

“It looks like you’re not mad at him anymore,” Henry comments as they sat together for lunch. Unfortunately for Kyuhyun, Sungmin is there to annoy him throughout lunch period. At least Heechul’s not around and he’s quite sure he doesn’t regret losing Heechul's presence.

Kyuhyun blinks at him and raised an eyebrow before totally ignoring him.

“I wasn’t mad at him…I was just annoyed,” Kyuhyun reasons as he takes the last spoonful of his rice. Henry chuckles and snorts while Sungmin peers in near him.

“What flower did you get this time?” Sungmin asks playfully and Kyuhyun glares at him.

“What? Heechul-hyung saw you and he texted me.”

Kyuhyun reveals a bouquet of lilies in pink and white, and Sungmin squeals at them. Henry giggles and waves his eyebrows knowingly and Kyuhyun just shrugs him off. He actually didn’t like the idea of receiving a bouquet of flowers because it had attracted so much attention compared to the other flowers.

“It means beauty,” Henry sums and Sungmin takes the bouquet off Kyuhyun’s hands.

“Cho Kyuhyun and beauty,” Sungmin declares, “It doesn’t match perfectly.”

Kyuhyun glares at Sungmin and grabs the flowers off his hand. He lets out a growl, “Give me my flowers,” he croaks and Sungmin rolls his eyes before showing him a wide smile.

 

 

“Since when?” Minho corners his teacher and Ryeowook flashes a bewildered look.

“What do you mean ‘since when’?” he asks and he gulps the lump in his throat. Ten minutes had passed since they entered the room and he’s been sweating like a pig ready to roast because Minho’s gaze is just petrifying.

“Since when did you like Kyuhyun-hyung?” Minho asks and Ryeowook opens his mouth to say something but closes it because he can’t find the words to say. Wait, Minho knows Kyuhyun?

“You know Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook asks and Minho pushes back, straightens his posture and flashes a playful smile.

 

 

Kyuhyun scans Ryeowook from head to toe and vice versa. He wants to ask but he prefers not to because that would be rude but they’re getting along better now and the way Ryeowook look is just disturbing he just had to ask.

“What happened to you…this time?” He utters carefully as he looks at the boy drenched and hair muzzled messily. Ryeowook wants to roll his eyes and tell him, I forgot my umbrella when it rained hard. 

Ryeowook’s eyes drop and his back hunches a bit lower. “Are you hungry?” he counters and Kyuhyun smiles.

“Nice try,” Kyuhyun replies but smiles. “We’ll eat after you change your clothes.”

Ryeowook nods and Kyuhyun grabs his wallet. “I’ll wait for you outside, make it quick.”

They both agreed to dine out since both of them had an easy week and they both needed something decent, aside from cafeteria food, if you call that decent, to eat. Kyuhyun spots a ramen restaurant and Ryeowooks stops saying he won’t be able to pay because the paycheque in his centre isn’t given yet. Kyuhyun shrugs and insists that this will be his treat.

Kyuhyun orders for the two of them and Ryeowook smiles warmly. He scans around the place and enjoys the pleasant ambiance. The smell of soup, meat and noodles wrapped together makes him hungry and Kyuhyun laughs at the sound his stomach made.

“How’s teaching?” Kyuhyun asks and Ryeowook narrates all his students and how he manages to squeeze in studying and his job. He tells about his dad who just arrived back from New Zealand and he’ll be able to support him after he’d settled in. Kyuhyun smiles at that.

“It’s a good thing,” Kyuhyun comments in between spoonful and Ryeowook nods at him. Kyuhyun reaches for Ryeowook's free hand and massages it slowly.

“It really is.” he answers and it had meant more than just his father arriving home. He enjoyed Kyuhyun’s company and he couldn’t ask for more. Especially when he's holding him and their skin just burns becuase of the touch.

 

White Heather

 

It’s been the big event in Kyuhyun’s life as a chemical engineer student. Every year, his department gives this week long exam to make sure that students entering the program meet their standards.

It has been a week of sleepless nights and Ryeowook had been a great help by preparing him hot chocolate and his meals. Kyuhyun likes it when Ryeowook would stay in the room and study with him. He likes it when Ryeowook hums lullabies as he tries to shake off the caffeine and hopes nothing but to get into bed and sleep. He enjoys Ryeowook’s company and little by little he’s just not quite sure yet, but he thinks that he likes Ryeowook. A little. Well, a lot.

On the morning of his exam, Kyuhyun walks to his locker and hopes for a flower but frowns when he receives nothing. He ignores it but he’s slightly bugged by the fact that his secret admirer has forgotten his big day.

Maybe that person thinks he won’t make it and thinks that he’d wasted enough flowers.

All cusses and gloominess disappear when Kyuhyun enters the room and a bouquet of white heathers flabbergasted him as he approached his chair. He smiles to himself as he takes in the sweet scent and gazes at the flowers.

“That person sure knows how to wish you good luck,” Heechul comments and nudges Kyuhyun to sit down as the professor enters the room.

Kyuhyun glances at the flowers every once in a while and a smile that can’t be wiped off his face lingers the entire time.

 

 

“So how are you planning on confessing?” Minho asks and Ryeowook smashes the piano keys heavily that the teacher from the other room knocked on the wall. He eyes Minho and the young boy cheekily beams back.

“You’ve been giving him flowers for a year, I think it’s about time you tell him it’s you already, seonseangnim.” Minho shrugs and Ryeowook stares at him for a while. He rubs the back of his neck and lets out a heavy sigh.

“I don’t know how to say it to him,” Ryeowook admits and looks at the white and black keys.

“Leave that to me,” Minho snickers and Ryeowook doesn’t know whether to feel at ease or worried at that.

 

Rose

It was Saturday morning and almost a year since Ryeowook and Kyuhyun started rooming together and Kyuhyun receiving flowers. They started off at opposite poles and never really connected and Kyuhyun admits that he had been too sensitive with Ryeowook’s attitude.

Everything went well ever since the ‘sleeping together’ incident last holidays and all time spent together meant special to Kyuhyun. He hadn’t received any flowers from his admirer since the bouquet of white heathers and he’s not even concerned because there’s a different person bugging him relentlessly with the name of Kim Ryeowook.

He doesn’t know why, when or how it happened but he just knew that every time Ryeowook bids him good night or greets him a good morning, he knew he wanted this to last forever. But he doesn’t know how to tell it to his roommate. He’s even scared on how Ryeowook will take it.

Kyuhyun is about to fetch Nana when Minho bumps onto him and he looks at him confused. “What are you doing here so early?” 

Minho ignores him and presses a piece of paper in his face instead, “My mom’s friend wants you to walk her dog now,” Minho says and Kyuhyun gazes at him.

“Go, I’ll take care of Nana.” Minho sing songs and Kyuhyun just nods and walks away.

He arrives at the village’s public garden and scans around the area to look for someone or any dog for that matter. He curses to think that Minho might have played a prank on him. Kyuhyun still searches and walks in the middle part of the garden.

The garden’s filled with bushes of all sorts and bed of flowers of all kind possible. Kyuhyun walks deeper and stops at the end of the bridge when he notices a familiar back facing him. He knows it all too well, the frame and the hair. Even the way he breathes, Kyuhyun has familiarised himself with.

He doesn’t saunter because he doesn’t want to embarrass himself from surprising that person who might not even Ryeowook in the first place. Kyuhyun stays still at the other end when the man turns around and Kyuhyun gulps at Ryeowook who’s holding a red rose.

He’s stunned. He cannot even walk or talk. A red rose? He thinks and everything just follows and sinks in him.

Ryewooks starts walking towards him, a smile flashes on his face and he walks nervously towards Ryewook too. He greets the smile back with a weary and tensed smile.

Ryeowook’s heart is in his head and he just can’t think of anything to say or to do because everything is happening swiftly, it blinds him. When they finally reach one another, Ryewook blushes madly at him and hands him a red rose. Kyuhyun looks at him, stunned for a moment and contemplates whether to smile and reach for the flower or smile then run away. He decides that the second decision is just plain rude and stupid because he's blushing madly as well.

“Hey,” Ryeowook mumbles and Kyuyhun gazes at him intently.

Kyuhyun smiles and all emotions want to burst inside him because he didn’t see this coming and he hadn’t anticipated for this to happen. Who would’ve thought that the person he shares room with and the person sending him flowers is just the same person?

He reaches for the flower and looks at him vigorously in the eyes. Ryeowook swallows and beams at him. Ryeowook wraps his arms around his neck and reaches to give Kyuhyun a quick chaste kiss on the lips. Kyuhyun smiles in the kiss and pulls Ryeowok closer to him.

 

Ambrosia

That monday, Ryeowook marches to his locker and lets out a lazy yawn. He opens the locker door and smiles brightly when he sees a beautiful  bouquet of red ambrosia. He takes in the scent and squeals in surprise when Henry taps his shoulder.

Henry eyes the flower and him simultaneously before letting out a quick ‘Oh, I see.’ His face darkens for a moment and tilts his head in this one hell crazy flower giving thing.

“Your love is reciprocated,” Ryeowook reads the note and Henry shakes his head feeling that the year long courting is just doolally. He leans against one of the lockers for support when a familiar figure approach them.

Kyuhyun swoons near Ryeowook and hooks an arm in his waist. He pinches Ryeowook's nose who looks at him dumbfounded but flashes a smile nonetheless. Kyuhyun leans down and plants a kiss on Ryeowook’s soft ones.

“I love you,” Kyuhyun says as he pulls away from the kiss and rests his forehead on his. They hear Henry wails something from ‘get a room’ and ‘it’s too early’ but ignores him anyway.

Ryeowook beams and cups his face.

I love you too, ever since. And always.

 

 

The flowers and their meanings:

1) Gardenia - I'm in love with you/ I like you; 2) Sunflower - Appreciation; 3) Hibiscus - rare beauty; 4) Forget-me-not - true love; 5) Lilies - You are beautiful 6) White Heather - good luck 7) Rose - I love you and 8) Ambrosia - Your love is mutual/ I love you too.

 

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you liked this kyuwook. As you may be aware, I'm submitting this story as an entry in a contest. If you liked my work, make sure to tell it in this link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/891328/4/writing-contest-kyuwook-lolita26-s-heaven-prizes-not-only-for-authors-but-for-readers-too-contest-kyuhyun-kyuwook-ryeowook-writing-karma-advertisment  You can comment by simply telling that your  favorite fic is: The mysterious case of flowers by becharlatan. Of course all spazzing and squealing can be done either in the original post or in the link pasted above. Just make sure to comment that you liked this fic on the link posted. Please help me make it to the top three and support this fic! ^^