The Red String

The Red String

The spring break has come to an end, and all the students are coming back to school for a new semester. My name is Jung Soojung and I'm in my second year of high school. It's already my second year but I still can't manage to make any friends since I don't really talk to anyone. The class was lively but it was just myself who always isolating from everyone. I rather read my books than talking or gossiping like they did. They call me the 'fantasy nerd' since I like to read fantasy books most of the time. I knew this nickname when I unintentionally eavesdropping in the toilet last week. It breaks my heart when I heard they called me that.

I just can't make friends of everyone because I, somewhat, a nerd who attached to a fantasy romance books.

Today was no exception from the other days that has passed. I was sitting at my place again, avoiding everyone and in my own world of fantasy. Ah, I really like the characters in fantasy books. It make me curious what will it be like when someone has something like extra ordinary power. Sixth sense, telekinesis, flying; all of that above. Sometime I wish I had powers. Haha, silly me. It'll never be a reality.

“Yah, Jongin-ah! Let's go to the arcade after school!”

For some reason, I don't know why I always looked up from my book everytime Jongin name was mentioned. I never looked up from my book but when I heard his name, my eyes all by itself was looking at the fine figure in front of the class.

Who doesn't know Jongin? The Mr.Popular of class 2-3? Everyone loves him. His grades are good too. The teacher always asking for his favor and he have a lot of friends. My classmates get along with him well and he always blend in with everyone at ease. He's like a sunshine to everyone wherever he goes. 

He's the opposite of me.

I wish I can be like Jongin someday. But I know I will never be like him one day. He always smile when he talked to them. I was envious of him.

His smile just shine so brightly across the room. Just like right now.

“Sure! Ah, but just the arcade okay? I have a part-time job at 6” 

There, he smiled again. Even he was having a hard time to reject his friends, he still smile.

I shook my head from all the thought I've been thinking lately. I don't know why I like to observe that guy even thought he got nothing to do with me. I averted my eyes from him, and continue to read the book on my hand.

The last bell rung and all the students scattered around the hallway. Like always, I am the last one to leave the class. I'm not on any duty but I like to be alone first then I will walk out from the class until everyone is gone. There now, everyone has gone back. I should get going.

“Oh, you're still here?”

My heart jumped out of shockness when I heard a voice. I turned around, only to found Jongin walking towards his desk. I was numbed at my place as I continue to stare at him. He was rummaging his desk and took out a Korean-English dictionary. 

Maybe I was staring too much, and he realized I was staring at him when he turned his head around at me. I thought he's going to yell at me for staring at him but instead, he smiled brightly at me.

“Jung Soojung, right? Why are you alone here? Where's your friend?”

Huh? Was that some kind of soft sarcasm? Didn't he know I don't have any friends in this school or even outside?

“Uh, I don't have any friends.” I said with a low tone voice. Damn it! Why I'm getting nervous suddenly?

I saw his eyes blinking curiosly and after that, he giggled.

“Ah, mianhae. I didn't meant to—”

“Aniya! It's okay!” I said and accidentally rising my voice. I saw his face changed after I said that and I quickly clapped my mouth with my hand. ! Did I say that out loud? Oh my God! What the hell did I ?! 

I quickly dashed out from the classroom, leaving Jongin dumbfounded inside.

Argh! I wish to dissappear right now!

 

 

Huh, I wish I never talked to Jongin yesterday. It really haunts me until I couldn't get any sleep last night. My eyebags are getting worsen and this morning, my neighbor child mistaken me as a ghost. Uh, maybe because of my style that I cut off like the ghost in The Ring. You know, Sadako? Ah, that one. My eyebag frightens him.

And even my classmates are avoiding than usual.

Well, damn for everything that happen yesterday!

“Oi Jongin! Morning!”

”Jongin-ah, morning!”

Ah, geez! Why out all of the place in school?! I don't want to see his face today and we actually bumped in front the school gate! Where's the mainhole? I want to hide!

“Soojung-ah!”

! TOO LATE!

Oh no, he's coming here! MAINHOLE WHERE ARE YOU?!

“Good morning, Soojung-ah.”

I was strucked when he suddenly gave me a morning greeting. His friends behind were looking at us in curiosity when Jongin suddenly came to me and say good morning to me. What? He's actually talking to me after yesterday?

“G-good m-morning.” I ducked my head down and avoiding his eyes from meeting with mine. Geez, what I'm stuttering for? And why is my face feels hot suddenly? I heard him chuckling and I was so emberrassed that I dashed inside the school gate without waving at him.

I WANT TO HIDE AGAIN!

Jongin stared Soojung for a long moment before his friend brought him back to reality.

“Oi, you've been staring at her since she ran away from you.” His friend pouted when Jongin softly punched his cheek.

“Don't tell me you fell for her?”

Jongin laughed at the sudden assuming, “She's interesting. I want to befriend with her.” he said with a bright smile flashed across his lip.

“Whoaaa that's Kim Jongin for you!”

 

 

“Haah...why did I make everything so obvious? Ah, I'm an idiot!” 

Right now, I'm infront of my locker and blaming myself for what had happen just now. Geez, I'm running away from him like I have a special feeling for him. I really am an idiot. Sighing heavily, I changed my shoes with the indoor shoes and place it neatly inside my locker. My day has ruined because of Kim Jongin today. Can it get any worsen than this?

I hope I don't bump into him again. But it's impossible since we're classmates.Ah~ eotokaji? Eh, wait. Why did I concerning about him out of the blue? I shook my head for a few times and soulessly, I drag my foot off from the lockers when suddenly my face collided on something hard. I almost can feel my nose bridge is broken. 

“Ah, Sehun-ah wait for—ARGH!

“Ouch!!”

I fell on my . , it hurts so much; my face and my bottom. Just who did I bumped with? His chest was like a concrete wall! I hope my nose is not broken because I swear I can hear a crack sound when I collided with the hard something. Ah, my head hurts and it's blurry...wait, IT'S BLURRY! I CAN'T SEE A THING! Where's my glasses?! I can't live without it! WHERE'S MY—

“Soojung-ah, are you okay?”

Wait, that voice. It's— “Jongin?” I blurted out his name loudly when I recognized his voice right away. I clapped my mouth with one hand when I unintentionally rising my voice again. Gosh, so embarrassing!

“Sorry for bumping on you. I can't see you on my way. Mianhae.” I saw him scratching his head in apologetic manner with my blurry eye sight. Great, I'm less nervous when I can't see his face directly. 

“It's okay, my bad.” I mumbled loud enough just for him to hear. For some reason, I can feel so many gazes were looking at our direction. I was squirming in embarrassment and when I tried to get up myself, suddenly Jongin reached out his hand while smiling teethly at me.

“Let me help you.” he said, “It looks like you can't see well without your glasses.” I saw something fimiliar he was holding on his hand. I squinted my eyes at the thing and as I thought, it's my glasses and it's broken.Wait, IT'S BROKEN?! ! Now how am I supposed to do? I can't see anything without it!

“Sorry, I accidentally step on it when I bumped into you.” His voice is somewhat lower than before. Does he suddenly feel guilty? Hmp, whatever. I'm still mad at him.

“You know, I can't see everything clearly without it.” I mumbled without looking at him and I made him chuckled. I didn't say anything funny, did I?

“It's okay if you mad at me, Soojung. I can be your eyes until your glasses is fix.”

I thought I heard it wrong, but I was wrong. I heard it right and he didn't kid about it. His lip is still smiling but his eyes was serious. Huh, is this the way he's apologizing? Fine then.

“It can't be help.” I smile a bit at him, “Thank you in advance, Jongin.”

Geez, what is wrong with me? My chest is hurt and my face feels so hot out of the blue! He's just smiling like he did everyday, why is my heart is hurt but I feel somewhat happy? Ah, so confusing.

“Ah, by the way Soojung.There's something I want to ask.”

“What is it?” I blinked in confusion. 

He pointed his fingers at my hand and he said something that bring a big shock to me, “What's that red string on your pinky?”

Red string? Wait, what does he meant by that? What red string? Just when I was questioning myself, I saw a girl behind us with a red string on her pinky and it was attached to a guy near her. Hey, don't tell me...it's the string of fate?

And then,that's when I saw the red string on Jongin's pinky finger too!

Could it be?

“Soojung-ah, you're spacing out!”

I blinked my eyes for a few moment before I snap out from my thought. Could it be? Jongin and I saw the same thing?

“Jongin-ssi,” I held up pinky, “You can see this?” he nodded in respond.

I sighed, “I can see it too. Well, just now I think. When I bumped into you and lost my glasses, I saw your pinky has this some kind of red string around it so I thought it's a good luck charm. But it turns out you can see what I can see too.” I inhale and pause before continuing,“This red string we saw, is the red string of fate. It was tied up with your destinied partner.”

Jongin gap in curiosity and he held his own finger,“You're right, I have mine too. I wonder...

“I thought I was only seeing that string because I lost my glasses. But it turns out you can see it too.” I pointed at the girl behind us who was talking with the guy with a red string attached on their finger. “Those students, can you see the red strings?”

Jongin nodded, “So, they're soulmates.” he blurted out. I giggled at his straightforward self.

“Soojung-ah,” he grobe my both shoulder, “let's help those destinied one to reunite! With this kind of ability, others can regocnize you well!”

Huh? Ability? Was this...kind of supernatural power? Fantasy?

“In advance, I'll make you find lots of friends!”

This guy, I don't know how to deal with him since he like to smile so brightly I can't even reject his offer. Even for a nerd like me, he still willing to get close to me. Oh well, since I can see the legendary red string on everyone's fingers I think it's a good oppurtunity to make friends like what Jongin said.

For some reason, my chest is hurting again.

 

 

So that's it. A three days passed after that incident, lots of the student that mostly girls come to us for the red string reason. Usually they will ask Jongin instead of me, but nowadays a few girls come to me and asking to find where the other red string attached to.

“You finally getting along with people well, I see?” 

I was a bit surprise when Jongin suddenly came and sat next to me. I flash a smile at him and chose to read the book in my hand than talking to him. 

You know what, after that incident, since we always together, I think there's something wrong with me. When Jongin was near, I can't keep myself calm. When our eyes met, I can hear my heart is thumping loudly like it's going to jump out from the ribcage. When he flashed his usual smile, my chest is hurt in sudden. I want to avoid him at any cost, but I just can't to leave him alone with this red string problem. Since I still can't see clearly, I need him to be my eyes.

“Oh yeah, about your glasses.” He touched my shoulder and I flinched in surprise. He was puzzled when he stared at me for a long time before he apologize to me,“Sorry, did I scare you?”

I try to catch my breath for a second. Gosh, seriously what's wrong with me? He just touching my shoulder. Why did I feel a sudden insecurity? I stared back at him and shook my head, pretending I'm okay. “Er, about my glasses.” I changed the topic as soon as I saw his face was still filled with worries.

“Ah ne,” he was laughing nervously, “It's already being fixed. I forgot to bring it today, so I'll give it back to you, okay?”

Ah, it already have been fixed. I'm glad. But why it's suddenly feel so sad? Why is Jongin face suddenly changed when he talk to me just now? It somehow,...did he still feel guilty for breaking my glasses or was it just my imagination?

“Soojung-ah, thank you for yesterday! I finally confessed to the boy I like, thanks to your ability!” A girl with pony tail came running towards me and suddenly thanking me. Ah, I remember her. This girl who had her red string attached to one of Jongin's friend. If I remember that boy name is Oh Sehun and this girl is from the next door class, 2-2 Choi Jinri.

I smiled to her, “I'm glad. Good luck on your future, Jinri!”

She was smiling brightly. Brightly...just like Jongin. She held my hand when I was in daze and she was staring at me like her eyes is glittering with diamonds, “As a thank you gift, can we be friend? You're an interesting person, Soojung-ah! I never meet anyone like you before!”

I was surprised when I heard that from her. I never thought someone would say that to me. An interesting person, it so not me but Jinri said it herself. Maybe I am, in her eyes. When I hover my eyes from Jinri, my eyes with Jongin, and he's smiling at me again.

That moment, my heart just skip a beat.His smile is so bright it can light up the entire room. I don't know, it feels like it just the two of us.

 

 

“Soojung-ah, have you ever fell in love?” Jinri's question stabbed inside my head one day when the two of was eating lunch outside the classroom. 

Love? I never fall in love before. Maybe I had but I can't remember. Even with the characters in the books I read. I never fell in love with the characters, but I want my ideal man to be just like them. 

“Well, I never, to be honest.” Ah, so embarrassing. Jinri is tilting her head in confusion when she heard my answer. I'm just being honest here.

“Seriously? Even with the characters you read inside those books you read everyday.” I shook my head again and continue to stuff my mouth with the bento.

“What is it feels like when you fall in love anyway?” I realized that I blurted my thoughts out loud and I quickly covered my mouth with one hand. ! I'm too obvious, didn't I?

I heard Jinri is giggling next to me. Ah, I knew it! It really is embarrassing for knowing nothing about love. 

“I can tell you if you want to know.” Jinri winked at me, “But first, tell me if you have feeling something strange happening to you these days.”

Something strange? Did I feel any of it recently?

“Something strange? Like what?” and again my dumness strike for I don't know how many times already. I can clearly hear Jinri groaning in defeat.

“Well, like your chest is hurt when you saw someone, or your heart is beating oddly when he was near you...something like that?” Jinri mischievously smiling at me.

I blinked in confusion. Somehow, all what Jinri has said are happening to me these days.

I closed my bento lid before I started to talk, “I've been feeling like what you said these days.” I said and place one hand on my chest, “My chest is hurt, my heart is thumping crazily and there's a time when I don't know how to breathe again.” I turned my eyes to meet her, “Is that really love?”

Jinri smiled clamly and my hair, “I want to ask, is there a reason when you feel it like that?”

I started to think that I always been like that when Jongin was around. Wait, does that mean...?

“Jongin...” I mumbled softly, then I came to realized to the conclusion that have been concerning me, “I like...Jongin.”

 

 

Jongin came to my desk again today. I felt even nervous than before I knew I like him. It's not the same as before anymore. My heart is thumping crazily again today. I hate this feeling, but I don' know until when I should staying in this one-sided love?

“I forgot to bring it yesterday, sorry.” He said while pouting as he played with my Tamagochi keychain, “I brought it with me today, sorry for the delay.” he was about to took out my glasses from his blazer when suddenly all the students scattered into the classroom. It looks like the homeroom teacher is coming for morning attendant.

“Aish,damn it!” I saw his hand is stuffing the thing back inside his blazer pocket, “Sorry, Soojung. I'll give it to you after school okay?”

“Why not on break?” I ask in matter of talking to him. It'll be weird if I kept myself quiet.

He paused for a while before letting out a laughter,“I have basketball practice on break. Please bear it for a while.” He brought his hands up to my head and ruffling my hair with that smile again. “Later, Soojung-ah!”

I don't get it. He's being all nice to me ever since the first time we talked. I don't really get him at all. He's making me suffer from this heart skip beating thing and he's still smiling like that to me.

I lifted my right hand and stared at my pinky finger. The red string is still attached to mine. I wonder who is my soulmate? And that day when I saw Jongin's red string, I wonder who is his soulmate? I think it's someone bright and lively like him. Hm, thinking about it makes me sad.

I stared at the red string again. I wish...Jongin's red string is the end of mine.

“Hng, it's without any glasses on.” I mumbled to myself when I had to squint everytime I can 'tsee words on the books I've been reading. It's already two week since then. Good thing no one ever ask me why didn't I have my glasses. They only come to me to look at whose at the end of their red string and that's all. Nothing more like Jinri did to me.

Jinri didn't go to school today, so I was alone again. Somewhat I missed hanging around with her. She teached me a lot of thing, including love. I like Jongin and it's kind of a dream come true if he likes me back—but that would be impossible. How can Jongin like a girl like me who can't live without glasses and love fantasy so much?

Somehow, it's kind of impossible for my red string ended on his finger. Yeah, obviously impossible.

“Um, Soojung sunbae-nim, are you free right now?”

I darted my eyes off from the book and tilted my head at the bobbed hair girl in front of me. “What can I do for you?”

She was fidgeting everywhere and I can see her blushing, “Um, would you take a look at the end of my red string? I have someone I like right now and I want to know if his red string end was mine.”

Oh, it's the red string related again. “Uh, okay. What's your name by the way?”

“I'm Irene Bae, a first year from class 4.”

Oh great, even a first year knows love. I already 17 but I only know love yesterday. Duh, silly me.

“Okay, let's follow your red string.”

I made her to lead us first so I can see where's the red string whereabout. We walked along the red string path and I don't even know where we are heading to. Actually, I never walked this far aside from classroom and outside from school. 

“Catch it! Catch it! Oh damn it!”

Huh? I heard boys voice. Where does this red string actually ended up at?

I suddenly feel uneasy about this.

“Sunbae-nim, we're heading to the gymnasium.”

Gymnasium, this is where Jongin is practicing his basketball game right now. My chest is hurt again. Argh, not right now.

Eventually, I stop midway before we even enter the gymnasium. I don't want this to happen right now. My chest is hurt again and my heart won't stop thumping.

I turned around to see Irene and smiled at her,“I'm sorry Irene. I think I just got an headache.” I'm making excuse to run away from this place but I saw her eyes suddenly glittering and is gawked in awe. I turned around and gasped softly; it was Jongin and his friends.

All sweaty.Damn it.

“Oh, what are you doing here Soojung?” He tilted his head a little to peek, “Ah I see you're helping this girl? Anyeong!!” Jongin waved towards her. I turned my head to look at the girl again, she changed. Her cheeks is red when Jongin waved at her. She's blushing.

Ah, I get it. She like Jongin. 

I stared at the red string on Jongin's hand. So, Jongin like her too? Huh, so there's where it ends. Tch, I'm so stupid to wish his red string end is mine. Stupid...idiot.

“Sorry, Jongin-ssi. I gotta go.” I said without looking back at him. I ran as fast as I can, ignoring his voice calling my name. I was so stupid. Jongin destinied person was obviously not me. I'm getting my hope too high that I can't see reality. Jongin didn't like me, I'm just being overwhelmed by my own feelings. I really am stupid to believe in this such things.

I hate myself for liking him.

 

 

“What's wrong with Soojung? She looks hurt.” One of Jongin's friend ask him when Jongin is still in daze on what happen. Jongin eyes fell on the red string attached on the girl infront of him and curious on where it end.

“Can I help you?” Jongin ask the girl whose still dumbfounded, “You're here because of the red string right?”

Irene blushed again immediately and nodded.

“Well, I can help you find where it ended.” Jongin brought the girl inside the gymnasium and his eyes are searching for any boys that have a red string on his hand. I chuckled as soon as he found one, not very far away from where he stood. He turned to the girl and let her hand go.

“Taeyong is the person right? He's right there.” He pointed at the taller first year who was sitting alone. 

Irene blushed hardly and bowing in thank to Jongin, “Thank you so much, sunbae-nim.” she rushed to see Taeyong after that. Jongin is relief to see both of them and his thought drifted back to Soojung. He stared at the red string on his hand, he know where is his red string ended at.

 

 

“Ahhh, how can he like a first year? It hurts me so much...” I burried myself on my backpack, wiping the leftover tears. Geez, did I just cried for a boy? This is first time for me. It's your fault Jongin. You made me turn out like this.

Like always, I would be alone inside this classroom before I walked home. For some reason today, I wanted to stay a little longer. I want to be alone here. Ah, I'm still sad! A first year...why...hm..

“Soojung-ah!”

I jolted up when I heard that voice. , it's Jongin!

“I'm glad you're still here. I thought you've gone back already.”

Why are you smiling again? Huh, I guess he's happy because he finally together with the girl he like.

He came to my desk and held out a box,“Here are your glasses.” he said as he took a sit in front of me. “The repair fee it's not very expensive so you don't need to pay me back.”

Again, that smile.

Again, I don't remember when I bursted into tears.

Why are you so kind to me Jongin? You made me fall for you even more!

“Soojung-ah, hey! Don't cry! Hey!” I saw his face was panicking. Oh my, why I thought he was cute suddenly? Stupid me.

I shook my head and force out a laughter, “Nothing. I'm only thinking about the girl who come with me. Did she confess to you?”

Jongin stared at me in confusion for a long time, “That girl? Oh, you mean Irene? She's not confessing to me.” 

I blinked in questioned when Jongin said that. I tilted my head, “She's not? But the red string—”

“Ah, about that.” Jongin chuckled, “It's on Taeyong. He's a first year too. He was happen to be inside the gymnasium as well. That's why the red string lead you there.”

Huh, so that what happened. I misunderstood over nothing. Geez, what am I thinking actually? I don't even see the red string end properly and I assumed it ended on Jongin. Wait, so if it wasn't Jongin, why did the red string appeared?

“About your red string Jongin...” Darn it! I can't even continue my word. I'm too nervous right now. It's just the two of us in this classroom. Oh God...

I heard him chuckling again and this time, he rested his one elbow on my desk and place his chin ontop of his palm while tilting his head, “You wanna know here it end?” A suspicious smirk appeared at the corner of his lip. I didn't manage to say a word when he suddenly standing up from his seat and held up his hand.

The red string...

“Jongin...”

“Look at it. Your hand.” his smirk has no end.

I felt my chest is hurting again and my heart is thumping crazily. I'm nervous. Could it be, Jongin knew it all along? He noticed my feelings towards him?

“Don't joke around with me, Jongin.” I said with a mix of nervous and mad at him.

“I'm not joking.” He crossed his hand together.“Just look at it, idiot.”

I puffed my cheek in pissed at him, “Who's you calling idiot, idiot! Stop kid—” He cut me off when he suddenly holding my hand, showing me the red string on my finger.

“See, I told you I'm not joking.” He smiled, still holding my hand.

“How?”

“I follow the thread where it leads to me.” his hand tightens around mine, “I was hoping it to end on you, Soojung. I'm surprised that it really ended on your finger.”

My chest is not hurt anymore, but inside my stomach was fluttering like a butterfly inside.

“Jongin, you...”

“I like you, Soojung.” finally, the words I want to hear it from him, “Since the first time we met, I thought you were an interesting person. That day when I collided with you, I saw the red string on your finger. I don't know why did I follow my gaze on the red string and it turned out it ended on mine. Our string was connected from the start. That's when I realized I like you and since your glasses broken, I try to get close to you with it by using the excuse to fix it.” 

I can see his cheek is getting red. He's blushing! My first time seeing a boy blushed!

“So, the feeling is mutual.” I tightly on his hand, “I like you too.” Oh gosh, I can feel my heart is thumping crazily inside and my face is burning with heat. Ah, I finally can confess to him.

“So, may I kiss the bride now?” A naughty smirk caught at the corner of his lip

“Eh?!”

Before I could protest, he hold the back of my head and closing the gap between us. I gasped a little when our lip crashed togehter. The feeling of my first kiss. So this is what it look likes to kiss with someone you really love. It's heavenly and sweet.

 

 

“Let me walk you home.” Jongin said with the signature smile again. We're holding hands together to the train station.

“Eh, is that okay?” I was flustered and nervous.

“Of course,” he nibbled his nose against mine, “you're my bride afterall.”

I begin to go all flustered again. So this is what it feels like to be in love. I'm really happy like I'm in cloud nine. It's a dream come true, afterall.

I love you, my groom Kim Jongin.