1/1

Air Conditioner

Dorm life had its advantages - like being able to meet new people and go to parties together - and it had disadvantages - like the smell, the condition of the showers, and sometimes dealing with very loud floor mates. 

One of the biggest frustrations that a student must deal with is the heat. Looking down the hall of any dorm floor, the doors are all open along with the windows, and in each window sat a fan. Everyone was trying to stay cool in the heat and focus on whatever they were doing, but it was hard. 

Jongup hated being hot. He wasn't sure if he hated the heat or the fact he agreed to live in a suite with Youngjae and Junhong more. Living with one other person he imagined was hell, but having two other people - who happened to be in a relationship as of two freaking weeks before they moved in - was a whole new form of torture...and the heat wasn't helping.

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone come out of there." Junhong said motioning back at the door across from them as he entered the room after a shower. Jongup and Youngjae looked across the hall for a moment before nodding in agreement.

"I believe it's that one boy, the one with the lips?" Youngjae said trying not to stare at Junhong in his towel. Jongup rolled his eyes bringing his attention back to the door across the hall.

"Well clearly it’s only one person in there,” Junhong pointed out noticing the one door name tag that was up compared to the three that they had.

“Maybe he’s a ghost and can just pass through the walls and that’s why we haven’t seen him. You know only children can see ghost.” Jongup said earning weird looks from his friends but they stared at the door again somehow seeming to accept this crazy notion.

"Still even if he is a ‘ghost’ he’d still get hot right? How does he live with the door closed?! It's crazy hot in here." Yongjae started fanning himself with his notebook. Jongup looked at him wondering if he was fanning himself because of the heat or Junhong. Living in these dorms was becoming on of the worse things in the world and he really needed to find a new place to spend his time.  

 

-x-

 

Jongup did get an opportunity to see the boy who lived across the hall when he managed to leave for his 8am late that morning and forgot his key. By the time he was back at their dorm Youngjae and Junhong were still in class, so he had to sit outside their room with his headphones listening to the song he planned on using for his dance team audition. 

"Hey," he jumped when a hand waved in his face. He expected to see Youngjae grinning stupidly but his eyes landed on plump lips that soon revealed a beautiful smile. 

“What?”  Jongup forced himself to look into the eyes of the owner of the plump lips instead of staring at them.  He pulled his headphones off as the guy looked around nervously.

“Hi,” He repeated. Jongup stared at the boy more - noticing a cute mole under his eye - but snapped out of it and jumped up quickly making the other take a step back at the sudden movement.

“Hi, I live here,” he motioned towards the door behind him with three door name tags that their RA Yongguk had made “I just forgot my key so I have to wait for my stupid roommates.” Jongup rambled

“Ah,” The boy nodded staring at the door, maybe trying to guess which name belonged to the person in front of him. His eyes met Jongup’s again and he smiled motioning to the mysterious door across the hall “That’s where I live,”

Jongup followed his gaze and couldn’t help the rush of excitement that ran through him knowing that in front of him was the ghost boy that lived across the hall. “You live here!” He yelled taking the other by surprise and he felt embarrassed clearing his throat before speaking “I meant, oh, you live here.” He said again, much calmer the second try, and motioned to the door reading the nametag quickly ‘Daehyun’.

“Y-yes,” the boy – Daehyun – seemed unsure about confirming the information again

“Oh, no it’s just that me and my roommates always have our door open and we never see you. I thought – I mean we thought you were a ghost just passing through the walls so of course we couldn’t see you.”  Daehyun stared at him a moment before bursting into laughter at the idea. Jongup was sure that was the most mesmerizing laugh he’s heard in his whole life.

“I’m not a ghost I promise, I just have air conditioning.”

If Jongup thought this boys laugh was the best thing he heard today then air conditioning was a very close second.

 

-x-

 

“I can’t believe I was living across from someone with AC this whole time! Two ing weeks of dealing with two people in love and the heat” Jongup pulled a face that made Daehyun laugh as he handed him bottled water.

Jongup nodded his thanks and looked around Daehyun’s room taking in the different musical posters and huge calendar of different assignments, tests, and various committee meetings. He had a queen sized bed in his room that looked very comfortable, not that the couch Jongup was on now wasn’t comfy, it was just an observation. The older – by two years he had learned – had an awful lot of food too, standard rooms give you two closets and he used one of them and turned it into a full on pantry.

“It’s messy,” Daehyun said pulling Jongups attention from the food closet and back to him. He was sitting on the edge of his desk chair playing with the label on his bottled water.

“No it’s lovely, you have AC,” Daehyun laughed

“I’m thinking you’re just going to be my friend for the AC,” He motioned towards his window where the beautiful box was rumbling with its cold goodness that made Jongup's heart race. Jongup smiled fondly at it then looked back at Daehyun who was still laughing, his eyes wrinkling, and Jongup couldn't keep himself from staring at him.

“Of course, air conditioning is the most beautiful thing in the world.”