chapter 1

the stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanhee

 

“Hurry up, or else we're never gonna make it”! I yelled but I wasn't annoyed at Byunghun's habit of slow walking. I was feeling more excited than ever in my life. I gently smiled up at him and took his hand into mine. We ran and ran towards our destination and it didn't seem like we would ever get tired. The smiles were on our faces, not leaving even for a second and I took every moment possible to admire my boyfriend's beauty and his different facial expresses while the time was flying. When we finally got there, we both stopped to take our definitely needed air and when we were both finally recovered, we again reached for one another and we were wrapped in a comfortable warmth for few seconds. “you ready?” he asked me and I nodded, right before he crashed his lips onto mine. The kiss was sweet like always, but this time it felt even more beautiful than ever. I felt like I was right there where I belonged. In Byunghun's embrace.

As we broke the hug, he smiled at me and pulled me into a small tent. Being two fools in love, we wanted to visit a place where many couples defined their destiny. On the entrance of the tent, in small letters there was written: “The Prophet”

it was quite simple. The guy was like one of those tarot readers or astronomy fanatics. Byunghun and I both considered this as a good joke that would make our love even greater.

The Prophet nodded in our way as soon as he saw us and both Byunghun and I had to stifle our laughter. We nodded too and sat in front of him, hand in hand.

“hmm...” The Prophet hummed for himself and I grew somehow impatient. I was already bored in here.

“I see big love between you two. His,” he pointed at Byunghun. “his love is as strong as the strength of all the stars out there on the sky. As long as there are stars on the sky, he'll love you. As long as he loves you, the stars will never fade. If he were to stop loving you, the stars would slowly start to fade until they would vanish completely.” even though I didn't believe him even a word and it sounded extremely cheesy and like a cheep joke, there was something in his voice that made me shiver.

I was absolutely looking forward to abandoning this tent.

“yours is as strong as the ocean.” he then turned to me. “you are a calm lover and everyone admire your love, but when you're passionate, you're like a storm forming the waves so big that it can be a frightening sight. No matter what the obstacle in front of you might be, you would go through all the storms at that ocean to protect your love.”

'that is true, though' I thought for myself and giggled, earning a curious glance from Byunghun. But I didn't say anything.

As soon as we abandoned that tent, I sighed in relief. “air” I closed my eyes and enjoyed the freshness of the air around me, feeling the rays of sun gently caressing my skin. “would it be cheesy if I said that you were my air”? Byunghun whispered on my ear and I smiled. “I love the cheesy you.” I whispered back and opened my eyes just in the moment when Byunghun's lips connected with mine. Only to shut them once again.

It felt as though neither one of us wanted to break the kiss apart. I wished I could just stay like that in his arms for the whole eternity. Even more than that.

No matter how many years passed ever since we became a couple, I knew that nothing could lessen the amount of love I felt for him. I loved him more than anything in this world. If we were to break apart, I wouldn't survive it. There is no world for me without him.

As he leaned back, I became aware of that one tear on my face. He noticed it too.

His slender fingers gently wiped that tear from my cheek and then he leaned his lips and kissed the edge of my lip, wrapping his arms protectively around my waist. “you heard what the Prophet said. We're never going to break apart.” he consoled me and I giggled in his hair. “do you actually believe him”? I asked him and he made me look him in the eyes. “I can doubt his words how much I want, but that won't change the fact that those feelings really do belong to me. Chanhee, I will love you as long as there are stars on the sky.” he whispered and I sighed, contently smiling at his words. “and I would go through all the storms just to be with you. Even if that meant drowning in the ocean. It would be worth it.” I answered and we both laughed at our cheesy romance. But I didn't care about being cheesy too much as long as he was right there where he was. Right there where he belonged. In my embrace. Exactly where I belonged too.

 

THREE YEARS LATER...

 

“do you have to go”? I whispered, fighting with the tears in my eyes.

“yes. I'm sorry... but I'll get back as soon as possible. Don't worry.” he whispered back and pulled me into his arms despite my desperate tries of avoiding him. I felt like, if he hugged me now, I wouldn't be able to let him go anymore.

“for how long are you going to be away”? I asked him, feeling how my voice was losing its strength with every spoken word. I knew that Byunghun had to take care of his brother that was all alone there in Australia and was on the verge of dying, but that didn't mean I wouldn't miss him. I wanted to come, but Byunghun didn't let me. He knew how weak I was with emotions and if I saw his brother that way, I would break. I was afraid of death and seeing someone dying was not a good idea for me. I would probably freak out.

“until.. he.. you know.” he muttered, and the pain was evident in his voice. He loved his brother so much, of course this was hard for him. That made me feel even worse. I won't be able to comfort him.

“return back safely, please...” I whispered in between the tears that I didn't even try to hide anymore. I leaned my head onto his shoulder and silently cried, taking in his sweet scent for the last time. Who knows when I'll be able to see him again...

“I will. I'll dream of you every night, I promise. I love you my beautiful pabo...” he whispered into my hair and I quietly sobbed, tightening the grip of my arms around his waist. “I love you too... so much...” I muttered with my last forces.

 

Ever since he left, one month ago, nothing was the same for me. Waking up all alone in the bed felt terrible, I was feeling cold despite the warm blanket wrapped around my body. But he wasn't there. His warmth was gone. And I was cold.

Food didn't have the taste anymore and the sun was not the same as it used to be. Even though I was aware of the fact that he would get back to me, I was still so scared.

Every night, I would spend few hours on my balcony, looking up at the stars that covered the sky. The stars are still there. He loves me.

“aren't you cold”? Daniel came and stood right next to me, pushing a warm cup of cocoa into my hands. “I am not.” I smiled at him reassuringly and he nodded his head before averting his eyes there where I was so longingly looking at. “you miss him that much”? He asked and my gaze softened. “more than anything.” I quietly whispered and closed my eyes, listening to sound of the wind rustling the leafs on the trees. It made me feel like Byunghun was just there next to me, giving me those beautiful smiles that always managed to leave me breathless.

“you know, he promised to me that he would love me as long as there are stars at the sky.” I spoke quietly and opened my eyes, focusing on the Daniel's dark ones. “then you have nothing to worry about. He'll come back to you.” he softly said and managed to relax me.

But nothing was perfect in life. That is the major lesson every person on this world has to learn.

As ridiculous as it might have sounded, I could have sworn that with every night passing by, the stars were slowly lessening. It was crazy. How could stars possibly be vanishing?

But after two weeks, it was obvious that I wasn't just crazy. The moon felt so alone there on the sky, only few of the stars accompanying him.

No, this couldn't be the truth! He didn't..

he wouldn't stop loving me, right?

As if we had only four minutes to save the world, Daniel rushed on the balcony and sent me a weird look. He knew everything about Byunghun's and my love story and about what that Prophet said. So I wasn't even surprised to see him there.

“even the meteorologists keep on saying that there is something weird happening with the stars.” he told me and a sad smile came on my lips. So it was like that.

“he's forgetting about me.” I whispered and Daniel scoffed. “Chanhee hyung, you need to fix this.” he told me and I roughly wiped the tears from my face and turned to face him. “just how am I supposed to fix this if he doesn't love me the same anymore? It's his choice whether he would love me or not.” I defended myself but Daniel was too stubborn to listen to me.

“isn't your love as strong as the ocean? Aren't you the one that promised to go through all the storms in the ocean only to protect the one you love? THEN WHY ARE YOU NOT PROTECTING YOUR LOVE”?! He even yelled at me and the truth only then seemed to be crashing right into my face. He was right. “but... how am I supposed to find him”? I weakly spoke and Daniel genuinely smiled. “follow your heart, hyung. It will take you to him.”

and that was what pushed me forward.

In

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter