Chapter 1

A Banshee's Fate

 

Chapter 1

 

 

Something about his smile irritated Chansung. Something was different. However, no matter how hard he tried to concentrate, how much he tried to figure out what it was that unnerved him, he couldn’t find it.

Yes, it was Nichkhun’s usual charming smile, a smile that he knew better than his own.

Was there really something off?

Reluctantly Chan shifted from one foot to the other, whereby he shifted so much that the old floorboards beneath his feet delivered an eerie creak.

However, Khun didn’t move an inch, remaining on his spot. His gaze was still fixed on Chansung, that suspicious smile still adoring his features. It was as if he wanted to provoke Chan with that smile. As if he was making it obvious what was wrong with it.

Suddenly, it clicked. Something in his brain clicked and made him realise what exactly it was that unnerved him to no end. And with that he started to worry, since he realised what it was that was missing in Nichkhun’s usual smile.

It was that slight dimple that always adored Khun’s features when he laughed; a simple curl that always appeared in the corner of his mouth, whenever he thought something was amusing or thrilling. That simple twitch of his kissable lips, and the way his eyes usually blinked and sparkled with mischief and excitement whenever they were on a mission, those tiny gestures were gone.

No, this person wasn’t Nichkhun. By all means, this Khun was not the man he loved.

„And you’re sure that she’s here?“ Chansung stepped away from the door, the creaking of the old and frail floorboards followed him like a shadow, till he came to a stand a few meters in front of Khun.

„Yes, that’s what she said on the phone.“ The smile Khun had worn was gone and replaced by furrowed brows.

“She told you voluntarily where she is? Why would she do something silly like that? Does she have a death wish or something?” Chansung sounded sceptic and Khun seemed to notice.

„I didn’t ask her! I was too busy worrying about you, since she told me that it was her who had caused the emergency call in order to kidnap you!”

Chansung frowned. No, this was definitely not his Nichkhun. Something was off.

“Are you here because of a Banshees fate to kill?” The question seemed to confuse Khun.

Indignantly the brown haired man rose from his former hunched position and his gaze cut through Chansung’s.

„A Banshee’s fate? Your fate is to die, Hwang Chansung or however you call yourself!“ With a wild expression on his face Khun jumped forward, drawing a knife that stuck in his belt and attacked Chansung. With a painful howl the black haired man sunk to his knees, holding his upper arm he hadn’t been able to protect when he had tried to dodge the attack.

Blood tinted the white shirt Chan was wearing, making his opponent laugh in pure happiness.

“It would be so easy to kill you. But I didn’t bring you here to die quickly in the first place, I have more cruel intentions. You’re going to suffer!” With horror blinking in his eyes, Chan dodged the arm with the knife a second time but wasn’t fast enough to avoid the blow to his head, which let him sink to the ground unconscious.

 

 

~*~

 

 

He could feel the music pumping in his chest and through his veins, even his heart already pounded to the rhythm of the addicting sound.

It’s been already months since Khun and Chansung could enjoy a ‘normal’ evening. An evening without bleeding injuries, broken bones or dead bodies they had to get rid of.

Enjoying a calm and enjoyable day outside was something rare for them. The reason for that was either their occupation, which was rather time-consuming, or their love life which they took seriously in the form of staying home and enjoying the time they had with each other.

But today, today they’ve decided to go out. It was the 31st of October, a date both of them remembered as if it’s been yesterday.

Nichkhun smirked ironically as he and Chan entered the hall where the annually Halloween party was held. The same Halloween Party they’ve met each other 3 years ago.

Although many residents wore costumes and fake blood, Khun and Chan hadn’t been in the mood to dress up and went for the ‘we-are-hunters-but-we-are-normal’ look.

„Maybe I should’ve brought my cowboy hat. Since I look dashing in it…” Khun muttered more to himself in a serious tone, but Chansung had heard his boyfriend and couldn’t supress a cheeky smile.

Commenting Khun’s loud spoken thought with a wink, he patted his shoulder before slipping past him. Opening his arms, in order to greet the blonde haired woman who was running towards them, he hugged her close and lifted her up. It looked like as if Chansung was hugging a child, since he was way taller than the feminine girl in his arms.

 

 

 

“Hey Min.” Khun greeted with a wink and also hugged the beaming woman. He then let her go and stepped back a little, looking her up and down. “So, what exactly are you portraying? A Scarecrow?”

Min laughed and stuck her tongue out before commenting on the question.

“Charming as ever, you’re really funny Khunnie. But, no. I’m a killer puppet!” Proudly the woman looked at him, her eyes glistened and Khun couldn’t help but smile at her with a cheeky smile.

„How sweet. But, honey, killer puppets don’t exist. I hope you know that.” He said with a firm face. However, his mask broke when he heard Chansung chuckling, looking towards him with a smirk on his face.

“Yeah, I know. But Vampires, Ghosts, Witches and Zombies are boring.” Min clicked her tongue and smirked as well. No matter how arrogant Khun looked at times, she knew - despite his well-kept mask - that he was a big softy and also that he liked her costume.

“They aren’t as boring as you think they are. Trust me, when you get to know them a little better they’re quite entertaining.” It sounded like the moral lecture of a teacher who tried to convince his students that finishing homework was fun.

 “Oh, I believe you.” Came the amused reply from Min. Chansung laughed out loud and followed the young woman to a desk where other friends of them were already waiting.

Everyone who sat at the table greeted both tall hunters with a broad smile and relief swinging in their voices.

Chansung’s and Khun’s work, or rather their occupation, was dangerous and in many cases deadly.

Whenever they had time to spend a day with their friends both men noted that they were always glad that they were still alive and breathing. But who could blame them? That’s what friends were for, right?

“And, how was the mission?” Jokwon asked, placing down the yellowish drink he had been sipping on, sounding as if he already knew the answer.

“It was good. First, we thought it was a Vampire who attacked and killed those women. But, it was a Demon, again.“ Chansung grimaced as he mentioned the Demon. He wasn’t really fond of those black eyed and cruel creatures.

 Nichkhun, however, smiled broadly and told the others how exactly they’ve tracked and killed the Demon.

Everyone thought that Khun was enjoying his occupation, enjoying killing supernatural things and creatures. But Chan knew better, he knew that Nichkhun wasn’t fond of the life they were living. Khun always told him that he hated their hunting life, but maybe he was only trying to persuade himself that he actually hated what he was doing.

Three years ago, when they’ve met for the first time, Khun actually just came into town to check why nothing paranormal and supernatural had happened the past 150 years in the rather silent and idyllic city.

Back then, the young Hunter had had no idea why. He couldn’t know that one quarter of the population, in the city they were now living, were either retired Hunters, who had decided that they were too old for the hunt. Or, what applied for most of them, were still active and protected the town, and neighbour towns, from Demons, Ghosts and Monsters. However there were also rather young Hunters who preferred to live a normal life after all they’ve seen.

 

 

 

Khun was just laughing heartedly at a joke Jinwoon had made when suddenly the clicking of a camera was heard and all heads turned towards Chansung.

The tall man was holding his camera and smiling brightly at the photo he had just made.

“I’m just trying to keep good memories.” He explained while turning the camera in order to show the photo he had just made. Everyone smiled and agreed and soon the camera was making its round, everyone taking photos from everything and everybody. Funny poses were made; some dirty jokes flew across the table and alcoholic drinks everywhere you looked. All in all, it was a rather normal and surprisingly uneventful evening, well that was until disaster broke loose

Min was just happily making some couple photos of Chan and Khun when suddenly someone cleared his throat. At first Chan didn’t get what was going on, since his and Khun’s backs were facing the person, but when he slightly turned he realised that it was a pretty black haired girl who had tapped their shoulders in order to get attention.

Nichkhun and Chan turned at the same moment, eying the girl furrowing their brows as if they were asking what it was that she wanted.

The black haired girl only pursed her lips and looked at both of them intently.

No matter how pretty the girl was, her eyes were a dark shade of brown while her lips were blood red – she was probably portraying Snow White – she still managed to let Chan shiver. Something about her was creeping him out.

Suddenly, like the bolt of lightning, she stepped forward and kissed a very surprised Nichkhun on the lips.

It was as if someone pressed the stop button on a video player. Everyone around them went silent, not even daring to take a breath. Eyes widened and Chansung could only do the same thing. He starred at the girl who was just kissing his boyfriend. Of course, and much to Chan’s relief, the fair skinned Thai didn’t react to the kiss he was receiving. If he had, he would have to sleep on the couch today. But luckily for him he was standing there, just as surprised as Chansung himself.

After a few seconds of standing there and waiting for a response that didn’t come, the girl let out a sigh and stepped away, facing the perplexed man with a pout.

“I hoped that would turn out more fun.” She admitted before turning around and leaving the stunned and shocked group of people.

 

 

~*~

 

 

The throbbing of his head let Chan stir uncomfortably, letting out a pain filled groan. For a few seconds, his eyes still closed, he asked himself what exactly had happened. That was until he remembered that he had been hit K.O. However, what made him finally open his eyes was the fact that he recalled who had actually hit him. His boyfriend Nichkhun.

“What the…” The thought about the attacker was immediately forgotten as he looked around the room. It was dark and moist, typical for an old basement. It smelled like rotten wood and wet earth. A hiss left Chan’s lips as he tried to draw himself up to his full height. Chan wasn’t even surprised as he realised that it wasn’t possible. He was sitting against a pillar, his hands tied behind his back. Trying to wriggle his hands a little, he realised that it was a zip tie that was holding his hands in place.

“…” He cursed as he felt how the plastic of the zip tie was cutting into his flesh. If he would keep up the movements of his ankles, soon blood would flow.

Stopping to move instantly, he slowly looked up, trying to catch a sight of something that could help him.

In the blink of an eye, Chan suddenly stopped moving completely. His eyes widened and by instinct he held his breath.

A disgusted grunt left his plump lips as he realised that it were indeed flaps of skin, teeth and hair that ley in front of him. Some of those disgusting pieces of human flesh were already rotten; some of them were on their best way to decay. For a split second Chan asked himself if he was currently in the hideout of a Wendigo. Since those creatures ate human flesh, cannibals if you wanted to call them like that.

But this was different. There were no bones or innards. Therefore Chansung’s suspicion, about which creature was currently holding him captive, was probably true. The creature he had in mind didn’t kill people - well some did - but used them for their own advantage. That explained why there were no bones, because the creature hadn’t eaten people.

 

 

~*~

 

 

“Channie, you can’t be angry at me for something I didn’t do… Come on.” Khun whined when he saw his boyfriend opening the door to their house with more force than was actually needed.

“Believe me, I can.” Was the angry answer that was thrown back at a now very frustrated Khun.

“That was nothing, Chan. She was just fooling around. It could’ve happened to you! God, she is a girl!” Khun groaned as he closed the door behind him.

“I know that she is a girl, thank you very much.” Chansung turned and glared at him. Something that always managed to let Nichkhun shiver. Not because the glare was deadly, but because the way Chan looked at him let Khun feel excited. with an angry or emotional Chansung was always the best. The giant was a soft hearted man who would die before he hurt a person’s feelings, eating everything up and burying it in the deepest part within him. But, he too, had to get rid of the stress and anger somehow. And that was and will always be .

Khun was the complete opposite of Chansung. He was always sarcastic and often said what Chansung couldn’t say, the bitter truth. However - even if he wasn’t really fond to hear such a comment from his boyfriend - Chan always said that he was gentle and loving in bed. As if he was frightened to lose or hurt him. And that was partly true. Their job wasn’t easy and they always risked to die, to leave the other behind. So, whatever time they had together, they wanted to make it memorable.

Khun didn’t even register that Chansung was absentmindedly patting Isis’s head. Their dog hummed sadly and immediately went for Nichkhun’s attention, knowing by instinct that her keeper wasn’t in the mood to praise and cuddle with her. However, Khun wasn’t really paying attention to the greyish Husky that run towards him with sparkling eyes and hopeful barks either.

“Sorry, Isis. I have to look after mommy.” Khun said, knowing that Chansung could hear him.

Chansung was literally dripping with anger as he turned and faced an amused looking Nichkhun.

“Who said that you’re the daddy, huh? Wait, why am I even talking to you?” He growled, turning around again and removing the camera from around his neck, placing it onto their kitchen counter with gentle hands.

“Sometimes I wonder if you are only treating your camera with those gentle fingers. Whenever you’re with me you are rather...demanding and rough.” Khun smirked as Chansung’s body went stiff and unmoving as his hot breath ghosted over the taller man’s neck. Chan, probably thanks to his fuming, hadn’t even noticed that Nichkhun had stepped closer, stopping right behind him.

“T-That’s not true…I’m always gentle…” Chan said, his voice swinging from angry to doubtful. He probably knew that it wasn’t true what he was saying at the moment.

“You know what I’m talking about, Chanana.” Khun instinctively wrapped his arms around the lean torso in front of him, pressing a surprised Chansung against his body. “I swear, to the gods, that I was near puking when that girl let go of my lips. You know that I only want you, right?” He whispered; his nose buried in Chan’s messy black hair. He always felt calm, contained and at peace when he felt Chansung body pressing against his. The unique smell of his boyfriends shampoo and perfume in his nose let him smile happily.

“And, I want you badly. So badly…” He hummed and smiled as he felt Chansung relaxing in his arms.

“I swear, if I see that girl again…I’ll make sure to-“ Chansung turned, his hands raised as if he wanted to hit someone, however, Khun cut his sentence, grabbed his hands and kissed both of them.

“You are going to do nothing. I know you. You’ll smile at her and keep doing whatever you’re doing when you meet her.” Nichkhun smiled as he saw Chansung pouting. Nichkhun was right, and as it seemed it didn’t please Chansung.

“But I have to admit that I like that fact very much.” Khun hummed, pulling Chansung even closer by his hands, chuckling as he saw the question marks in Chan’s eyes. “Well, I love it when you get angry and emotional. I love the way you touch my body when you are bursting with anger.” For Chansung it felt like as if Khun had purred that comment, letting his body heat up in an instant.

Chan knew what his boyfriend was intending to say with such a comment.

“You are such a ert…” The black haired giant muttered as their lips where only inches apart. Their hot breathes mixing with each other, making the anxiety between them nearly unbearable.

Who would make the first move?

Of course it was Chansung. Khun was his, only his. No other human, or supernatural creature, was allowed to touch him that way. Their lips clashed together like the see after ebb. Drowning moans from both sides.

Yes, Khun really loved it when Chansung was angry and emotional. Sure, he knew that he would have bruises everywhere the next day, but he didn’t care. He loved everything about his boyfriend, especially his temper in bed.