Umm...Jonghyun?

Umm...Jonghyun?

Amber scowled in utter annoyance as she trudged the stairs up to her older brother’s room. She was practically radiating a very dangerous aura around her as she was beyond furious. How dare her brother eat all of her strawberry pocky? He knew they were her absolute favorite, yet there he was, leaving her with just empty boxes of the sweet.

Again.

“Jjongie-oppa, you’re so dead,” Amber mumbled, calm but deathly low. Oh, boy! How his brother would get it now. She would definitely make sure of it. Kim Jonghyun would get the most painful pinch ever known to mankind.

Silently padding across the hall, Amber kept her hard gaze towards a particular bedroom door just next to her very own. Upon reaching said entrance, Amber took a deep breath and exhaled. Slowly she grasped the doorknob, turned it as quietly as she could, and flung the door open, subsequently revealing to the world— her eyes —Jonghyun’s messy place of a bedroom.

“Yah!” Amber shouted, planning to shock Jonghyun with her sudden appearance. Unfortunately, her furious shout was only met by silence for there was no Kim Jonghyun inside the bedroom, just dirty clothes and scattered music sheets. The usual.

Letting out a frustrated scream, Amber kicked the door violently. It shook with the force as Amber glared at everything and nothing inside her brother’s room. Cursing colorfully under her breath, she turned around and was about to go and wail her misfortune at her friend Luna’s house when a rather brilliant idea struck her. Quickly closing the door behind her, she started rummaging for any blackmail material that would help her bully his brother into buying her a lifetime supply of pocky sticks.

Boxers, briefs, socks and suspiciously crusted handkerchiefs flew around the room as Amber continued her search. Nothing proved to be useful as the minutes passed by, though, and Amber was so close to giving up. Fortunately, a faint beep under Jonghyun’s pillow caught her faltering attention. Blinking for a split second, she then promptly dove at the bed and stuck her hand under the pillow. She patted and d hurriedly under the fluffy pillow for a few seconds before her hand suddenly closed over a smooth, rectangular thing. Confused, she took a firm hold of the unknown object and pulled it out slowly.

It was Jonghyun’s mobile phone.

“Oppa’s phone?” Amber said incredulously, after all Jonghyun hated leaving the device at home whenever he went out. “Eh…there’s a message.”

From: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3
Received: 7:30pm


Sticking her tongue out at the sickeningly cheesy pet name, Amber tried to place an image to the familiar name. With eyes narrowed in recognition, she remembered Jonghyun introducing this Jinki guy— apparently, Jonghyun’s soon-to-be-boyfriend —to them just a week ago. Apparently, in their small family of three siblings, Song Dam was as straight as a ruler, Amber was lesbian and Jonghyun was gay. It was weird and even disgusting to some, but Amber liked calling it variety; a pot of colors—or in this case, uality –under the same roof with the same blood running through their veins, arteries and capillaries.

Anyways, on with the text message…

Hi hyunnie :) I was wondering if you wanna go out with me tomorrow? There’s this new movie that I wanted to show you. It’s a romance/drama flick (your favorite).

After reading the simple message, Amber felt a smirk creeping on her face. This was her opportunity! Finally, sweet revenge! She quickly texted a reply, mindful to keep her words as close to what Jonghyun would most likely use to reply. As much as she loathed using the word, she must…

To: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3

Hello my dearest sweetcakes (Amber shuddered in horror), I would love to go out with you baby (Another shudder)! :3 What time do we need to meet? ^3^


“And send,” Amber said, pressing the send button. “Phew! That was worst than kissing Heechul-hyung on the cheek. I shuddered two times.”

A few minutes passed and Amber was eagerly, albeit nervously, pressing the read button.

From: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3
Received: 7:37 pm

I’m going to pick you up at exactly 10am^^


Eyes wide, Amber fumbled to send a reply that would not sound too suspicious.

To: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3

no! Uh, I mean, love you. Kekeke^^ I would just go directly at the cinema and meet you by the popcorn stalls. Sound good? I need to do some things before meeting you, and I don’t want to make you wait for me :3


Amber had counted 251 seconds when she heard the beep of Jonghyun’s phone. With a nervous smile, she read the reply.

From: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3
Received: 7:43 pm

Umm, okay :) I understand. So…I guess I’ll see you tomorrow at 10 am then! Uh, good night hyunnie. Sweet dreams^^


Amber sighed in relief, unconsciously smiling in unsuspected adoration of the person on the other line. This Jinki guy’s just so understanding. Wow, that’s a guy that’s pretty hard to find nowadays.

To: my dearest sweetcakes Jinki :3

Okay babe :3 Sleep tight ^3^ Oh, btw, you don’t have to text me tomorrow! I’ll show up at exactly 10 am.


Flipping the mobile phone shut, she stared around her brother’s room and wondered what perfume should she use for tomorrow. What would a nice-sounding guy like Jinki would want to smell? Floral? Vanilla? Strawberry?

…Wait, what?

“Aish!” Amber literally smacked her own forehead in irritation. She sounded way too girly there that she forgot her real motive behind talking to Jinki. This movie watching was purely intended for revenge purposes, and nothing else. Careful preparation was needed to make this a success. Standing up, she picked a random bottle of perfume on Jonghyun’s desk and pocketed it. Amber was about to go to her own room when from the corner of her eyes, she saw a small Polaroid photo glued to Jonghyun’s cork board: it was one of Jonghyun attempting to kiss a beaming Jinki.

Chuckling, she leaned closer to inspect the photo. She noted Jinki’s features inside her head and memorized them. From the cute, half-crescent moons as eyes down to the girlishly fit legs; Jinki was the perfect mix of cute and y. No wonder Jonghyun, who was known to have high standards when it comes to dating people, fell for him.

“Ooops! I think there’s a small problem,” Amber frowned when she noticed something through the photo. “Jonghyun-oppa’s hair has blonde tips. How would I make mine exactly like his for tomorrow?”

“I’m home!”

“!” Amber cursed as Jonghyun’s voice resonated from most likely the front door of their house.

Scrambling towards the door, Amber almost forgot to delete the evidence of her plan. Running back towards the bed, she picked up Jonghyun’s mobile phone and deleted the messages from Jinki and the ones that she sent. Afterwards, she placed the device under the pillow and made her quiet exit. Then, she quickly went back to her bedroom.

“Hello baby sis!” Jonghyun called out to her once she casually pretended to come out from her room. She just sent him a bored look before going towards Song Dam’s bedroom.

“Eh? Where were the times when she would run and hug me?” Jonghyun sighed dramatically, hanging his head in sadness.

“Pfft. That time went out the window when you started eating all my strawberry pocky,” Amber mumbled, knocking on her older sister’s bedroom.

“Come on in,” Song Dam called out.

“Unnie, do you have any blonde hair dye that I could use?” Amber asked, poking her head inside her sister’s neat bedroom—so unlike Jonghyun’s.

Song Dam hummed and stood up from her bed. She opened a drawer and threw a small container at Amber’s direction. Amber caught it with ease and grinned. However, her grin faltered slightly when she turned the container over and read the instructions of the product.

“A colored mousse?!”

“Yep, you can wash it off after using. It’s all I got.”

Sighing, Amber just nodded. She figured that this was better than having nothing to use. She then went to her own room and got her own phone, texting her best friend.

To: Krystal

Hey Krystal, I need you to do me a favor.

From: Krystal
Received: 8:15 pm

Sure.

To: Krystal

Distract Jonghyun-oppa tomorrow. I don’t care how you do it, just please keep him busy. Thank you.

From: Krystal
Received: 8:18 pm

Lemme guess? Your strawberry pocky got ravished? Okay, okay. Luckily, Sica-unnie, Kibum-oppa and I would go shopping tomorrow :)


Laughing, Amber shut her phone. Kim Jonghyun would be busy alright.

Too busy.


--


“Umma, I’m going out for the whole day! Kibum’s back from Daegu and he said he’d treat me the whole day! See you tonight,” Jonghyun declared out excitedly whilst slipping on a pair of old slippers. He figured that when his best friend saw him wearing a pair of worn out slippers, the guy would pity him and buy him a new one.

I’m a genius, Jonghyun thought, happy with the idea of having a new pair of slippers without spending anything.

Meanwhile, Amber was laughing her head off as she quickly ascended the stairs. She saw her brother foolishly slip on a pair of old slippers that would surely snap with the walking that he would most likely do today.

“I’m a genius! Oppa’s a dead meat,” she laughed, entering Jonghyun’s bedroom for step 2 of her revenge.
Opening her older’s brother wardrobe, she pulled out a set of casual clothes and went back to her own room to shower and change into them.

After making sure that her— thankfully small —s were bound, she put on Jonghyun’s black tee, a plain red blazer and a pair of denim skinny jeans. Standing up in front of her full-sized mirror, she ruffled her hair to give it a bit of Jonghyun’s character and contemplated on where she would start adding the colored mousse.

Scooping a large amount of the mousse onto her fingers, she added it to her bangs until they shimmered blonde. Once satisfied, she sprayed some hairspray on her fringe to set the mousse. Better safe than sorry, she thought. Also, she sprayed on some perfume (the one she got last night) to her nape and clothes for extra effect.

When she was satisfied enough about her ‘Jonghyun’ look, she went downstairs and slipped on her own pair of dark green high-top sneakers.

“Bye mom! Be back tonight for dinner,” she called out, closing the door softly behind her.

“Bye sweetie,” her mom answered back, though Amber was already out the door.

Amber arrived at the popcorn stall at exactly 10 in the morning. She was utterly surprised when she saw a grinning Jinki smiling at her from his place next to the popcorn stall. He was dressed comfortably, wearing a maroon t-shirt and skinny jeans. Looking down, Amber saw that Jinki completed his look with mustard-colored chucks. He looked rather nice, especially when his smile got a bit brighter— wider –when she neared him.

“He must’ve recognized Jjongie-oppa’s clothes to smile like that,” she muttered to herself, walking forward and forcing a smile towards Jinki.

“Hi Jjong!” Jinki beamed brightly, showing a perfect set of pearly whites.

Coughing once, Amber imitated Jonghyun’s voice, “Hello Jinki-hyung.”

Silence. Weird and uncomfortable silence met her reply. Seconds passed by with silence that Amber thought she might have said something wrong. She almost felt like backing out of her plan and bolting in nervousness. Feeling Jinki’s thoughtful stare, she fidgeted with the hem of her shirt.

“Umm…Jonghyun?”

“Ne?”

“You seem taller.”

Suppressing a snort, Amber tried to play it cool. The statement was said with a great amount of innocence, almost like the one who asked was a small, utterly curious child. It was too damn cute.

Yah, Amber focus! Amber scolded herself mentally.

“Ahahahaha! Hyung, you’re really funny! Of course I look taller. I wore five insoles for our date today,” Amber joked, laughing lamely. “Don’t wanna be short in love for my Jinki.” She added, almost wishing for a mouse to come scrambling towards her because of her cheesiness.

Jinki, though, seemed to buy it and laughed lightly. He must’ve been friends with Kim Jonghyun for a very long time to just welcome the cheesy lines, Amber thought.

“C’mon, Jonghyun. The movie’s about to start,” Jinki said when he stopped chuckling. He ushered Amber towards the theater entrance with a light, playful shove. Amber let herself be shoved gently and looked tentatively around. She cringed, when she saw the title of the movie—A Love Story.


--


Despite the spectacular lameness of the movie title, the movie theater was packed. Luckily, Jinki found a perfect spot among the sea of anticipating movie patrons. It was perfectly positioned at the middle, so it was not too near the giant screen, nor too far away.

“Here Jonghyun,” Jinki said, handing Amber her popcorn.

“Thanks hyung.”

“You’re welcome.”

The movie started with a very unrealistic meeting of a married man and a female doctor at a popular vacation spot at their country. The man was involved in a drowning accident and was resuscitated by the female doctor. When he regained consciousness, he thanked the female doctor profusely. In return, she shrugged nonchalantly and said it was her job.

Blah, blah, blah.

After that faithful meeting, they miraculously bumped into each other, yet again, and threw all cautions to the wind. It was like Ah, what the heck! Let’s just start spending time together. Inevitably, they fell in love with each other. Life was good for the two of them. They were in love.

But, as we all know, all good things must come to an end.

The man received a phone call from his pregnant wife back at the city and promptly went back to her. Poor female doctor. She wallowed in depression.

Once again, the fates decided to make their paths cross and they met back at the City. As it turned out, the female doctor was actually the man’s wife’s Obstetrician. Desperation crawled around the doctor’s gut and she invited the man over for dinner. The man agreed, only to suffer from extreme guilt when he went home to his wife. After a few weeks of playing hide and hope the wife would not seek, the pregnant wife became suspicious and began to spy on her husband. She found out about the truth and asked the guy to choose between her and the female doctor. The husband, of course, chose the wife over the doctor.

The doctor cried herself to sleep.

The End.

Amber heaved a big sigh of relief when the words ‘The End’ flashed at the big screen. She glanced at her side and observed as Jinki sniffled. Aww, Jinki was a softy. Giggling to herself, she fished her pocket for a handkerchief and handed it to Jinki.

“Here op—hyung, use this.”

“Oh, thanks Jjongie.”

Jinki accepted her handkerchief and blew on it. When Amber flinched, Jinki laughed sheepishly.

“Uh, I’d wash it. Don’t worry!” the older boy said hurriedly, shooting an apologetic gaze at Amber’s direction.

Amber just nodded slowly and stuck her hand inside the bucket of popcorn that she was holding. Time for step 4 of her plan: Disgust Jinki. She grabbed a handful of the snack and stuffed it all inside . She hoped Jinki would get disgusted by the display ‘Jonghyun’ was creating.

“Umm…Jonghyun?”

“Mwoh?” Amber opened wide, showing Jinki the smashed popcorn inside .

“You cried, right? Your eyes kind of look, uh, smaller,” Jinki asked curiously, looking not the least bit disturbed by the display. Amber just swallowed her mouthful of popcorn when her attempt to disgust Jinki proved futile.

“I did cry hyung. The movie was just…ugh…too moving, you know,” Amber mock-sniffled.

Jinki smiled, hummed and patted her back sympathetically, “I knew you’d be moved by it. Let’s go get lunch, hyunnie!”


--


Their lunch was at KFC, where Jinki ordered a bucket of original fried chicken. Amber gaped at the amount of poultry.

“Help yourself Jonghyun,” Jinki declared, snatching the chicken leg on the topmost part of the bucket.

“Okay,” Amber said, picking up the chicken leg under the one that Jinki got.

She nibbled daintily on her piece of chicken, savoring the delicious taste. She ignored her rice, and instead ate the mashed potato. Jinki raised an eyebrow at the action. Jonghyun usually loved eating rice and would often even order an extra one.

Amber remembered her brother’s notorious love for rice when she caught Jinki’s confused stare. She hurriedly explained herself to Jinki.

“I’m on a diet hyung. I don’t wanna get too fat.”

Nodding slightly, Jinki excused himself and went to the men’s comfort room. Amber sighed in relief when he was out of sight, and looked out the glass windows. Among the crowd, she instantly spotted Krystal followed by her unnie Jessica, Kibum and a poor slouched guy carrying a truckload of shopping bags (obviously Jonghyun). Smiling in triumph for the perfect execution of her plan’s first part, Amber hurriedly turned around in her seat, attempting to not be seen.

She was so into hiding that she hadn’t noticed Jinki flopping down next to her, and was currently engaged in the task of staring hard at her face for the second time that day. She was startled when the older boy spoke; he sounded painfully close.

“Umm…Jonghyun?”

“Huh—yeah?”

“Your nose seemed smaller, especially your nostrils. Did you catch a cold?” Jinki asked, concerned and curious. He was wearing a worried expression. Amber felt a bit guilty for using him to avenge her poor pocky sticks.

Scrunching her nose repeatedly, she shook her head and blushed when she saw Jinki smiling softly at her. Jinki looked breathtaking when his eyes go soft and concerned, especially at such a close proximity.

“Naah, I’m feeling fine hyung. I think it’s just the light,” Amber lied. Actually, her palms were now sweating buckets and her heart was beating way too fast. She was feeling a bit hot, too. If that would count as fine, then she was very, very fine

“The light?” Jinki repeated, confused.

“Yes, hyung. The light made my nose look all small and un-manly,” Amber confirmed, scowling to hide her nervousness.

“Ah, I see. Well, we could always leave this place if you want.”

“Really hyung?”

“Really, really.”

“Alright! C’mon! I’ll show you something hyung,” Amber bounced excitedly like a puppy, pulling on Jinki’s arm. At that moment, she wasn’t even trying to imitate Jonghyun.


--


“Wow!” Jinki exclaimed, eyes sparkling in happiness and awe. The meadow that Amber brought him to looked like a paradise. From there, you could see the city skyscrapers, and residential roofs. It had a small, crystal clear pond of its own, where colorful fishes swam. Trees were abundant and the air was fresh and crisp.

“This place is beautiful, Jjongie,” Jinki breathed out, twirling around like a little schoolgirl flaunting her new dress.

Grinning in triumph, Amber watched the older boy from her sitting position at the lush grass field. She then lied back down and spread her arms to the side. She was feeling especially proud to hear Jinki’s comments. After all, this was her secret place, her own ‘hide out’. She didn’t even know what came to her but it just felt right to let Jinki see it. Heck, even Krystal was not allowed in here.

“I think you should stop Jonghyun,” Jinki said out-of-the-blue, flopping down next to Amber. Amber sat up quickly, mind racing with thoughts of Jinki finding out about her not being Jonghyun.

“Stop what hyung?”

Play along Amber, she reminded herself.

“The dieting,” Jinki said, matter-of-factly. “You look too skinny and it doesn’t suit you.”

Amber thought of sighing for the nth time that day, but held her breath instead with what Jinki did next. As if demonstrating his point, Jinki leaned closer to Amber and picked up one of her arms.

“See? I give you three more weeks of dieting and you’d have Taeminnie’s arm,” Jinki said seriously. “But, Taeminnie’s just going through puberty; he’s still bound to change some more while you don’t.”

The older boy waved Amber’s arms around while talking, totally oblivious to the latter’s burning face. What the hell’s happening to her? Normally, she was never affected by any physical contact made by boys. More often than not, she was creeped out when boys touch her. So, why was Jinki having the same effect as when Amber sees gorgeous ladies?

“O-oh,” Amber managed to stutter out when Jinki dropped her arm. “I—“

Without waiting for her reply, Jinki looked at her straight in the eyes, smiling in this creepy way. Amber attempted a smile of her own back when Jinki suddenly smacked her arm—hard. Amber gaped in surprise and pain, clutching her stinging arm and opening to yell profanities at Jinki’s face (well, not really).

“Tag! You’re it!” Jinki shouted, standing up and running around in circles. He was laughing heartily, waiting for Amber to chase him.

“Aish! This boy,” Amber said, standing up as well and taking off towards Jinki. She stretched her hand out to touch the flailing older boy.

“Yah!!!”

They spent the rest of the day running around like that. Amber slowly felt her plan slip and elude her grasp as she realized that this— spending the day with a guy like Jinki —was way better than any box of strawberry pocky stick could ever hope to deliver.


--


Jinki insisted that he walk Amber home. Amber felt fear crawl up her spine.

What if Jonghyun was already home by the time they arrived?

That just wouldn’t do. She didn’t want Jinki to find out that she was really a girl. And worse, not only was she a girl, but she also used him to avenge her pocky sticks. Amber could almost see his crestfallen and betrayed face if he found out. It would definitely break her heart to see him without a smile.

“Umm…Jonghyun?” Jinki inquired, breaking the comfortable silence between them.

“Hmm?” Amber hummed her response, not trusting her voice to be a hundred percent imitation of Jonghyun’s. She was nervous, damn it!

“Thanks for today,” Jinki said. Amber felt his smile through the words. “I’ve had lots of fun!”

Clearing , she let out a soft chuckle and looked up at the inky black sky. She spotted a very bright star and silently wished for Jonghyun to be still out and about.

“You’re welcome hyung,” Amber replied, the honorific now slipping out of with ease. “I did, too.”

“Good,” Jinki answered.

After that, the two walked in silence once again until they reached Amber’s home.

“We’re here!” Amber exclaimed, turning to her side to smile at Jinki. Jinki returned the gesture and waited for her to enter the gates. She hadn’t even made it to the front door, yet, when Jinki’s slightly cold hands grabbed her arm. She froze at the contact and didn’t even turn around.

“Umm…Jonghyun?”

“What now, hyung?”

Amber cursed herself mentally when she heard the irritation clearly in her own voice. She hadn’t meant to sound huffy to Jinki, but somehow, it slipped. Aish!

“Ah, I just…Umm, please tell Jonghyun I dropped by today,” Jinki said. Amber choked on her spit and whipped around to face the older boy.

“W-what?” she stuttered, blinking rapidly. Jinki stared at her for a second before breaking out into a soft smile.

“Amber-ssi, thanks for spending the day with me. I know I’m not the most interesting person to be with, so I’m grateful that you at least stayed. I really enjoyed your company,” Jinki leaned forward and brushed his soft lips on Amber’s rapidly burning cheeks. “I’m sure you have your valid reasons as to why you decided to pose as Jonghyun today. It’s okay with me. Thanks again and good night!”

With that, Jinki took a step backwards and waved, leaving a blushing Amber. Jinki hadn’t gotten far from the Kim’s house when he suddenly turned around and shouted.

“Oh and by the way, don’t use colored mousse! It comes off with water and sweat!”

Then he was gone into the night, bringing with him his bright smile and melodic laugh. Amber watched as Jinki disappeared before walking towards their house. She brought a hand up to her hair and ruffled it slightly. She raised an eyebrow to herself when her hand felt wet and sticky. Shrugging, she entered their house and immediately sought the mirror.

“!”

Amber swore out loud when a disheveled version of herself welcomed her at the mirror. The blonde tips that she carefully placed on her hair was completely gone, only a couple of strands managed to hold the mousse in and some of the color was on Amber’s cheeks: The same cheek that was kissed by a dazzlingly handsome Lee Jinki just mere moments ago.

Completely forgetting about her failed plan, Amber walked towards her room in a daze. She passed the kitchen and unconsciously ignored her mother, who called out to her.

“I wonder if Jonghyun-oppa will let me have Jinki?” Amber mumbled, giggling to herself, a dark blush covering her cheeks.