Chapter 3

A Summer at Hogwarts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

              

               He didn’t see him later that afternoon, or for the rest of the summer. Every day, Donghae hoped against hope that he would see Hyukjae’s mischievous face, his bright smile—so unlike Professor Brixby’s yet so similar that he couldn’t help but adore it—but never did. It felt like a dream now, a whirlwind of memories for a time that happened so fast, Donghae wasn’t even sure it had happened at all. When he had tried to bring it up to Professor McGonagall she had hushed him, stating that it was out of her hands.

               He found it hard to concentrate the rest of his summer and was sure that his professors were at the end of their ropes. They were more than exasperated with his lack of commitment. It was only a matter of time before one of his professors confronted him, and surprisingly it wasn’t Professor Brixby, nor Professor McGonagall.

               “There is something that everyone learns and it is a lesson that usually comes at a time we aren’t ready for, but need all the same,” Professor Longbottom explained. “I think it’s come a little early for you, just like it did for me. Loss is more than just the lack of something; it is the absence of what that something meant to you. You need to remember that something and you will find it will be enough to carry you through the rest of your life’s journey.”

               “If we wait for that sorrow we feel to pass, we’ll be waiting forever. Your father, Hyukjae and even your family—whom I’m sure you’ll have enough money to visit next year—would not want you to miss out on life because you were stunted by them. In fact, I think it would make them quite sad. You are a talented wizard Donghae. I see it, McGonagall has mentioned it more than once and Brixby speaks of you like you were her own brother. We’re all rooting for you.”

               Having had no idea that Professor Longbottom cared to know that much about him left Donghae leaving his herbology lesson feeling a little ashamed that he had caused any distress, but happy to have another person in his corner just the same.

 

********************

              

               It was the sorting ceremony here at Hogwarts and he could hardly remember what it felt like to hear that dusty hat tell him that he was part of Gryffindor. The word meant nothing at the time to him, but through the looks on his housemates’ faces, he did understand what it felt like to be part of something great, something bigger than him. And that is still how he felt as his eyes washed over the Great Hall, still not believing that he was actually a real wizard who could cast real spells and make real potions.

               Looking at his housemates now, he realized how much a summer had changed them, or maybe it was he who had changed. Many of the boys grew taller and most, if not all, were taller than him now. But it wasn’t just that, they had matured; shoulders broadened, jaws hardened, faces thinned and brows shaded the once youthful eyes Donghae was so used to seeing just a few months before. The girls were different too. They weren’t necessarily taller but they looked fuller, especially in the bust. He caught a few looking at him as well while they whispered in each other’s ears with giggles.

               He never understood girls.

               Bringing his attention back to the ceremony ahead, Donghae had almost expected to see Hyukjae’s face in the first year’s crowd. It was a silly thought as Hyukjae was closer to his age and being the only teenager mixed in with ten year olds would have been rather embarrassing, but he really wanted to see him. About to start his sixth year, his only regret is that he hadn’t made that bond of friendship he had been longing for. His English was better than when he had first arrived at Hogwarts, and it allowed him to find a kid or two he could hang out with, but no one he could confide in, no one that he could entirely relate to.

               Not wanting to stick around for the feast after Headmistress McGonagall’s welcoming speech, Donghae headed back to the Gryffindor tower, hoping to get a little privacy before his roommates arrived or worst, the first years.

               The common room was quiet and so was his bedroom chamber as everyone else was still downstairs in the Great Hall. Annoyed for no real reason at all, he was less than happy to see a cat on his bed, especially when it wasn’t a black cat n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter