Girlfriend

Girlfriend

Onkey.

Jinki enters Taemin's room to find the latter in a fit, flittering about placing things here and there and scooping clothes in his closet.

"You didn't have to go on a spring cleaning mission for me."

Taemin jumped around like a young chick on spring at the sound of Jinki's voice.

"You gots jokes, my friend." Taemin smiles and starts rearranging his book shelves. Jinki's shakes his head and lurches his tired limbs on the neatly made bed.

"Hyung!" Taemin whines. "Gwiboon noona is coming over later."

"Aah." A grin emerges on Jinki's face. "So that's who you want to impress."

"Y-you know how she is already." "Yeah." Jinki interrupts with a smug grin on his face." She's a er for neat freaks like yourself. Gosh I had no freaking clue."

He playfully punched the younger's shoulder. "Nice catch, my man, nice catch." Taemin's ego boosted at his friend's words knowing that Jinki approved and to the extent of encouragement.

When Taemin feels satisfied enough with his cleaning, he throws himself next to Jinki who is now persusing one of Taemin's magazines. His body deflates when a sigh escapes earning Jinki's attention from a y blond in a red swimsuit.

"Please don't tell her, hyung." Taemin's muffled voice pleads. "I like a her a lot."

Jinki grabs Taemin's left cheek and gave it a little squeeze "I got you."

The younger teen slaps Jinki's hand away.

Gwiboon comes over and it's like a normal Saturday of a video game marathon during which they splurge on potato chips and soda. Jinki can't help but want to intervene. Taemin being smitten by their mutual friend is actual news that excites him and he wants to contribute somehow to bringing them closer. Well, closer than they already are. It's about 7pm when he decides to do Taemin a favour and slip away.

"You know , guys. I'm gonna go hit the hay now." He tries to sound as causal as he can, voice no too high or too low.

Gwiboon stops mid-laugh at the lames jokes Taemin throws at het and casts him a surprised look. Not that Jinki doesn't expect it, for he is known as a nocturnal individual, sleeping during the day and staying up in the nights. Going to bed early is simply out of his character.

"Hyung, its early." Taemin who was previously lying on his back, supports himself on his elbows and knocks his socked feet together.

"Yeah what he says." Gwiboon adds.

Jinki shakes his head and chuckles at their cluelessness.

"You guys have fun."

"I'll come with you then." Gwiboon jumps up and starts putting on her slippers.

"No!" Jinki almost shouts. " I mean. I don't want to cause an abrupt end to our usual Saturday nights."

"Jinki don't be silly." Gwiboon laughs and Jinki is close to getting upset and pulling at her ponytail because his attempt to let Taemin have more time with his crush is not going as planned.

"I'll come." When she bends to work her fingers at the straps of her shoes Jinki mouths 'help' to taemin. It takes a few seconds for the latter to process his friend's intention.

"Uhh Gwiboon, I actually have the newly released grand theft auto."

"You do?!" Jinki and Gwiboon asked in unison.

Jinki forget for a moment there about his plan and when Taemin actually nods in affirmation his desire to slip away distengrate.

"So Jinki you're going home, right?"

"Y-yes."

Gwiboon looks back and forth between Taemin and Jinki in contemplation. "See ya, Jinks." She hops on the bed joining a rejoicing Taemin. "I want to destroy his tonight."

She laughs at Taemin's equally determined expression. Jinki smiles at the sight and bids them good bye.

......

 

"Hey hot stuff!" Gwiboon rushes up to Jinki's side.

"Whoa!" Jinki says, a bit frightened and hurriedly puts his phone away. "Look who's talking."

They both laugh and begin on their daily walk home from school. They engage in conversation and more laughter as they near the gated community where they reside.

"Have you noticed how muscular Taemin is these days? Football is doing him well I must admit."

"Muscular?" Gwiboon repeated. " I haven't!! Am I getting blind or what?"

Jinki then looks at her in amazement and realizes why Taemin likes a girl with such vivacity and vibrance. There is never a dull moment when she's around.

"Well, he is." He then remembers what he had been doing before she approached him. "I-I have a dilemma."

'Uh oh." She knows it's serious when Jinki stutters. "What is it, hot stuff?"

Jinki stops and is suddenly nervous but he believes Gwiboon is best person to ask for this particular advice. Plus she is one never to cast judgement.

"There's this girl..." He begins uncertainly, finding it diffuclut to look her in the eyes. So he misses when her eyes widen in disbelief. He risks a glance at her and shakes it off. "Don't worry!!" He laughs sheepishly. "It doesn't involve you."

"Oh?" Her tone much lower. "I like her." He sighs and pouts thinking about his pitiful self.

"Oh. O-okay." He does miss the way the fire in her eyes extinguish and the smile falls halfway off her face. He resumes walking and she joggs to keep up with him.

"Why is that a bad thing?"

"She has a boyfriend."

"Oh. I'm sorry." She hugs him and Jinki's grateful for the warmth and the affection at a time where he feels like his in securities a flaring.

"Please don't tell, Taemin." He pleads and she nods.

Taemin is already dealing with his growing crush on Qwiboon and knowing about Jinki's 3rd failed attempt at having a girlfriend within 6 months is really unnecessary.

"Ok. I won't tell Taemin."

A tear escapes down his cheeks and he flicks it away in haste. "Thanks." He sniffles. "I'm glad I got this off my chest."

Qwiboon wears a tight lipped smile.

......

 

"Did you tell Qwiboon noona that I liked her?"

Taemin corners Jinki before they head upstairsfor a movie night. Qwiboon is alreaday there setting up the DVD player.

Jinki stutters before shaking his head in fear for Taemin looks mad angry, ready to kill and Jinki has never seen his friend this flustered and agitated in a long while.

"Ok." The grip on his shirt loosens and Jinki relaxes a bit and so does taemun. " I think something's off. She's acting weird."

Jinki chuckles nervously, recovering from Taemin accosting him. "Sometimes we forget she's a girl, team."

"Heh you may be right ."

"Yeah."

"Jesus, I thought you forgot we we're about to watch a freaking movie!" Qwiboon exclaimed when Taemin and Jinki returned.

"Sorry."

"Nah forget it. " She brushed it aside. "Now get over here!"

For the duration of the movie Jinki worries is he's encroaching too much on Qwiboon's and Taemin's time. They've always been together like peas in a pod but now that he knows about Taemin's feelings for the Qwiboon, should he be making a greater effort to give them more time alone?

...

 

"Gwiboon!!" Jinki calls but she continues walking. He hurries and calls again until she stops and spots his frantic figure.

"Hey!!" He shouts , hyper and happy the complete opposite of how Qwiboon looks. "Are you alright?"

"I just haven't been feeling myself lately." She smiles sadly and pull a lock of hair behind her ears.

Jinki notices the faint evidence of makeup on her usually plain face. "You're wearing makeup." Jinki points awkwardly at he face making her touch her in a self conscious manner

"Oh haha." She laughed a little embarrassed. "My friend was experimenting..."

"You look beautiful." It slips out. "N-not that you don't look beautiful everyday." A genuine smile emerges on her face.

" Thanks, Jinki." When he notices red on her cheeks he stops blabbering."So what were you so happy about?"

"Oh yeah. This girl, Krystal actually asked me out today after class!" He sighs in content

"What about the other girl?"

"She has a boyfriend, remember. I'm just surprised that Krystal finds me appealing enough to date. I mean we do all our Chemistry labs together but I thought that was it."

Qwiboon's grip tightens on her knapsack.

"Why aren't you saying anything?"

"..you haven't bee spending much time with me and Taemin lately. I don't think he notices like I do." She bites her bottom lip and sways her body side to side.

"Then let's go on a double date!" Jinki blurts, getting more excited by the minute. "You and Taemin. Me and Krystal. It's brilliant!"

"I don't know..."

"Come oooon ,please?" Qwiboon runs a finger through her hair.

"Ok just for one night." .... Jinki waits with bated breath for Taemin and Qwiboon to show while Krystal stands next to him. He so nervous and he hopes his date doesn't notice.

"Jinki hyung." Taemin calls , walking with Qwiboon next to him, looking like the finest red wine in a red peplum dress.

"Whoa."

"Hot date." Krystal adds to break the silence.

"Thanks." Qwiboon and Taemin said in unison before erupting in laughter. Jinki doesn't know if he is imagining things but those eyes of hers were enthralling and pulling him in. Qwiboon's powerful stare has him feeling a way and uncomfortable is one of them.

....

 

It's a few days later when Jinki talking about Taemin's upcoming football match that Qwiboon's makes an outburst.

"I don't like Krystal for you!" It effectively shuts him up and it as her panting lightly. "I don't like her for you." She repeats.

Jinki is a loss for words. "She's like the only girl who likes me for me." He weakly reasons.

"I like you for you." She rebuts.

"W-well yeah, you're my best friend-"

"I've always liked you before Krystal, and before we became friends."

"W-what are you saying?"

"I freaking like you!" She shouts and drops her face in her hands and starts sobbing. Jinki starts panicking abit. Qwiboon has always been a composed girl, strong and confident and to be exposed to the side of her, the emotional side, is frightening. Having never been in a situation like this before, he wonders if he should hug her, or pet her hair or do something...

"Qwiboon... I didn't know.."

"You're always looking at girls and you see me as one of the guys like Taemin."

"Taemin likes you. He doesn't see you as one of the guys." She sniffles and faces Jinki.

"What?"

"Oh darn. I wasn't supposed to tell you that " Jinki grabs at his head at the thought of Taemin being angry at him. "Please don't tell him that I told you." He pleads. Qwiboon , with her face covered in tears and snot, wears a disbelieving look. When she realizes that Jinki is worry , the tears stop.

"You know what?" She laughs. "Just forget about it. I'm on my period anyway so I guess I was searching for an outlets to unleash a these pent up emotions." She forces a smile.

Jinki notices it but doesn't question it one bit. He can be seflish for once.

.....

 

Two weeks later Jinki learns that Taemin and Qwiboon are dating much to his shock but also relief. The friendship bond among them disintegrates somewhat because Taemin's with his girlfriend most of them time and so he shares his extra free time with Krystal.

"Qwiboon noona is the best girlfriend ever." Taemin says dreamily one night over the phone.

"She's your first girlfriend, Taemin."

"Yahh, hyung don't kill the joy." Jinki laughs feeling more comfortable when Qwiboon explains that the whole confessions thing was acting experiment and boy did he fall for it.

"I'm glad everything worked out for the best." Jinki adds. "And I finally have a girlfriend!"

"Qwiboon is coming over later I gotta go ." Jinki sighs and says goodbye.

....

 

On their next double date Jinki is oblivious to the flicker of sadness in Qwiboon's eyes for he is too busy looking at Krystal.