Chapter Three

Under The Same Sky

 

Lynn knew she had unintentionally threw her gauntlets towards Kai and declared war. It was only a matter of time before he makes his move and she would suffer from the consequences. She mentally slapped herself for being so stupid. But come to think of it, if this was war, she was going to play her aces, and show Kai that he shouldn't underestimate her. 

She bought herself some vanilla greek yogurt at the nearby convenience store since they were out of ice cream which caused her to be a little cranky. There should be an unspoken rule where stores weren't allowed to operate when they didn't have ice cream! Lynn thought to herself, while mumbling incoherent phrases about ice cream not having enough respect. She knew she was eating too much, but she didn't care less. Eating helps to decrease our stress level, therefore she should consume as much as she want, but the yogurt was far too cold for her liking and it didn't taste as good as her favourite chocolate gelato. Now the yogurt's plastic cup gave her chills when the wind blew strongly, indicating it was going to rain soon as the clouds over her overcasted the sun. But Lynn couldn't bring herself to throw the yogurt away since it nearly caused her five wons.  

"You're gonna finish that?" 

Lynn stopped in her tracks and looked up. Sitting on the edge of the pavement with his arms folded comfortably on his knees was a foreign boy, with chocolate brown hair and a lean figure. His small green eyes squinted against the wind, and his nose was dotted with freckles. 

"I'm planning to." she answered.

"Can I have some?" 

Lynn furrowed her eyebrows at him. "Do you seriously want a yogurt that was eaten by a stranger? That's disgusting." 

The boy chuckled slightly, showing his dimples. "It is. But just a little." 

After contemplating, she let him have the last of it. The boy scooped a big amount of the yogurt on the spoon and chugged down the rest. "I like chocolate better." he mumbled when he finished. 

"You're not from here, are you?" Lynn watched him closely, still cautious, but curious at the same time. 

He set the cup beside him and stared back at her, a playful smile on his lips. "Isn't it obvious?" 

"But your Korean...it's..." 

"To die for?" he offered, and then laughed again. His laughter warmed her in the inside. "I learned by myself before I got here. I was afraid people won't understand my pronunciations, but you understand me just fine. I'm pretty good, huh?" 

"Being pretentious, are we?"

"Don't hate me yet, I barely got your name." 

Lynn instantly blushed when he said that. It was a different kind of feeling. Usually people would demand for her name, even though they are asking. But he had it the other way around. He wasn't asking for her name, but he was asking her silently, like he really wanted to know her name. 

"I'm...Kimberlynn. You can call me Lynn." 

He slowly stood up and brushed the dirt from his jeans. Then he bowed his head a little, which caused Lynn to blinked in surprise. "It's a pleasure not to be a stranger to you anymore, Lynn. I'm Skyler."

"Skyler," she tried, feeling awkward. 

"Kiwi." 

"What?" she paused. 

"I'm gonna call you Kiwi from now on." 

"The bird or the fruit?" 

"Your choice." 

"I like Lynn better." 

"That too bad, because I'm gonna call you Kiwi anyway." Skyler grinned, and she could see he had crooked teeth. 

"Why? Don't tell me I am the first friend that you made here." 

Skyler feigned hurt. "Ouch." 

She raised her eyebrows, smirking. "So I am." 

"So you are." he replied. 

Lynn suddenly felt nervous when his green eyes settled on hers. She quickly changed the topic. "So do you live around here?" 

"Yeah, a couple of blocks from here near the park. I'm staying with my dad. It's just the two of us." Skyler explained, his hair ruffled by the wind that was blowing. She didn't ask any further, afraid it would lead to invading his privacy, and Skyler didn't ask her where she lived either. He was being respectful. 

A respectful, undeniably cute, American guy. 

She hoped this wasn't some kind of a dream. She pinched the skin behind her neck and felt pain immediately. Nope, not a dream. 

Skyler glanced at his watch and slapped his forehead in dismay. "Shoot, I gotta go. My dad's gonna kill me when he finds out I went roaming alone." He started to run, but then he turned around and jogged backwards, waving at her. "Thanks for the yogurt, Kiwi!" 

Lynn laughed, waving back. "I'm sorry it wasn't chocolate!" she called. 

"Maybe next time!" he shouted, and then he was gone out of sight. 

Next time? What did he meant by that? Was he indicating they would meet again?

She instantly smiled at the thought on her way home. 

 

 

Before her parents come back home after work, Lynn had already set up the table for the three of them. She was thrilled to tell them about her new test results, and the hi-tea event that was going to be held. She heated some lasagna she had made yesterday, and sat at the table alone, waiting for her parent's arrival. The door clicked open a while later, and then entered Mr. and Mrs. Leav, with their suitcases and crinkled office attire. Lynn stood up, her eyes gleamed in excitement.

But then it was as if she was invincible. 

Her parents didn't even spare her a glance as they hung their coats and took off their shoes. Her dad rushed upstairs immediately, while her mother turned to the dining room to close the lights before noticing Lynn was standing there, like a statue. 

"Did you cook?" 

"Y-yes.." she stammered. "I was wondering if you guys wanted to eat with me-"

"We already ate outside, Kimberlynn. Don't forget to clean up." her mother reminded her, and then she followed her father upstairs. 

Lynn slumped in her chair, fighting back the hot tears that was threatening to fall. She reached for her fork and started stuffing some lasagna into , feeling the grip of sadness again. Just for once, she wished they would listen, and eat with her, and talk to her about school or anything at all. 

Just for once, she wished they would treat her like a daughter. 

When she stepped out of her bathroom after brushing her teeth, her eyes caught her new test results resting on her bed where she had put it earlier. She grabbed the crisp white paper---and crumpled it up in her hands.

The dustbin swayed a little when the crumpled paper landed at the bottom, alongside candy wrappers and used tissue papers. 

 

 

Kai heard the familiar click of the door, and the familiar set of footsteps coming in. While holding his cup of ramen in one hand, Kai turned his head sideways and called out:

"Hyung?" 

Junmyeon smiled warmly upon seeing his little brother as he dropped his suitcase and rolled up his sleeves. "Sorry I'm late again. Did I miss the match?" He walked towards the couch and ruffled Kai's hair. 

"Ya! Stop doing that, I'm not six anymore." Kai shook his head a few times to position his hair back to normal. "And no, you didn't miss the match, it's just starting." He glanced backwards to see Junmyeon rummaging through the cabinets in the kitchen. 

"Where's all the ramen?" he asked, turning to Kai. 

"Last one right here." Kai smirked, holding up the very last cup. 

Junmyeon's eyes widen by his brother's confession, and instantly marched towards the couch. "Kim Jongin, what did I tell you about the importance of sharing between siblings?" 

"That the hyungs should always give in, and the dongsaengs get the final share." Kai grinned. 

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm a full-time working oncologist that barely gets any rest and works 25 hours a day so I'm pretty sure I deserve that cup of ramen." Junmyeon raised his eyebrows, his hands on his waist. 

"And I am an eighteen year old hormonal teenager with adolescent issues and inevitable hunger needs for my human growth. So who wins now?" Kai challenged him. 

Junmyeon rolled his eyes. "I can't believe you ate all my ramen, you little minion." 

Kai laughed, and tapped the space on the couch beside him. "Come on hyung, let's share. The match's gonna start in a few minutes."

Junmyeon's eyes lighted up as Kai handed him the cup. He sat beside his brother and ate like a ghoul, feeling absolutely famished from not having lunch earlier. His work drained him entirely, but he was glad he could still go back home and spend some time with his family. His only family. 

"So how's school? Any interesting news that doesn't involve Baekhyun trying to stuff chopsticks in his nose?" Junmyeon mumbled between his chewing, his eyes glued to the tv screen, watching the football game. Kai snorted when he was reminded of that. 

"Nah, same old boring stuff." He shrugged, taking back the ramen cup that Junmyeon passed. 

"No girl?" Junmyeon caught him, and Kai choked on his ramen immediately. 

Junmyeon burst out laughing when he watched Kai trying to swallow back his food, his eyes teary. Kai reached for the glass of water and gulped desperately. Then he exclaimed, his face red. "Hyung, you almost killed me!"

"Technically, you almost killed yourself. So no one on the list yet, huh?" 

Kai grunted. "I don't have time for relationships." 

"You might regret saying it too soon, little brother." Junmyeon chuckled, his face lighted up; erasing the fatigueness in his eyes. "But if you do find her, I'll be happy if you bring her to meet me. I really want to meet the girl that caught my dongsaeng's heart." 

"That's so cheesy, hyung. Where'd you even get that line?" Kai snorted. 

Junmyeon shrugged, playing innocent. "It's not a crime being cheesy. I'm a hopeless romantic." 

"I'm sure noona likes it." Kai smirked, and instantly Junmyeon's face turned a deep shade of red. 

"Ya, that's not fair!" 

"How's it going with noona, hyung?" Kai smiled so widely and ended up jumping over the couch when Junmyeon tried to catch him. 

"Kai, you're so dead!" 

 

 

The next morning, Kai knew exactly what he was going to do.

Kimberlynn was going to have all the attention that she wanted. 

 

 

Lynn sat by the window and stared at the shriveled leaves falling from the branches. She couldn't quite focus on the lesson, and ultimately she lost all the interest to the world that revolved around her. Her thoughts wandered far away, away from the school campus, away from where she was. 

She was minding her own business when it happened. 

Everyone turned their attention to the speakers located in the classroom, that was suddenly blaring with a voice she was familiar with. An announcement by none other than Kim Kai, the head of AVT. 

"Attention to the students of the campus, I have a very important announcement to make..." 

"Due to a very demanding request by Kimberlynn Leav...."

Lynn froze in her seat as all eyes turned to her. 

"....I am somewhat glad to announce that the Student Council will be having a hi-tea event after the entrance exams and well, everyone, is invited! I heard there will be free food and sick music, and no payment is needed! How cool is that?" 

No! What the hell?! 

".....so please free your time and clear your schedule to take part, and do refer to the Student Council's board for any further info. Oh, and before I forget..."

An intake of breath. 

"...Kimberlynn Leav, it's such a pity that I have to state it here but you said you wouldn't take a no as an answer so I have no choice. I'm afraid I have to decline your offer to go to the hi-tea with you as your date. You're a nice girl, but you're not my type. I hope you'll find a nice partner though." Kai said, sounded almost apologetic. "That's it for now, until next time. Have a pleasant day."

Lynn could've sworn she heard him smirk. 

The upper part of her pencil in which she was holding snapped in her hand. 

The silent closed in on her, as everyone stared at her in horrified looks. 

And then, the silent bomb exploded. 

Everyone started snickering, at her, probably thinking how foolish of her to ask Kim Kai for a date. And for him to turn her down publicly, when she didn't even ask him. For him to humilliate her in front of the whole student body. She knew this was coming, but she didn't expect he would go this far. 

Ignoring the teacher, Lynn stormed out of the class, her face burning in anger and humiliation. 

This was not the end. 

She would make sure she wouldn't go down without a fight. 

 

Author's note:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Do comment and tell me what you think, it would mean a lot :)