Chapter One

Under The Same Sky

The door to the small meeting room swung opened, revealing The Head of Editor in her mismatched outfit of a pink flowy dress with faded grey jeans, not to the surprise of the board members. She sauntered her away towards the long end of the table, bowing her head to the members as she passed them one by one. Taking her seat, she smiled warmly at her fellow acquantainces. 

"Good morning, everyone. Now lets start the discussion. What do we have?" 

"Kimberlynn-ssi," someone called out from across her, and she immediately turned her head towards the voice. It was Hye-soo, the Head of News and Broadcast, managing the newsletter. "Since we are already in second semester, I think we should opt to print out more eye-catching news, instead of boring sports improvements of the campus." 

"Our sales are also dropping. Students are uninterested of buying NLs anymore." Sera added, her eyebrows knitted. 

The other members of the Board nodded their heads and started whispering, agreeing with the issue. 

"Alright, what else? Yoon-ha, is the student's works already submitted in the laptop?" 

"Yes, I've typed them already. I just need to edit it a little bit more." Yoon-ha answered. 

"Good. What about the hi-tea event the Student Council will be having? Are there any photographers assigned already?" 

"Not yet, Lynn. Ji-hoon is busy with his entrance exams, and Mark is MIA." Hye-soo pointed out worriedly. 

Lynn nodded her head in comprehension while chewing the end of her pencil. She started scribbling notes in her notebook. "The hi-tea will be held after the entrance exams, so we can still ask Ji-hoon to work. Inform him about that. And about the newsletter, I also think we need to do some changes. I need all of you to find any interesting news going around school, and we can discuss about it in our next meet-up." Lynn concluded, ending the meeting. 

The members nodded in silent agreement as they stood up and collected their belongings. When most of them had exited, Lynn glanced at her watch. She still had 10 minutes to spare before Council's gathering. She didn't notice Sera and Yoon-ha coming up to her.

"You look tired, Lynn." Sera smiled apologetically at her friend. Lynn simply laughed. "Yeah, all work and no play really does make me look dull." 

"Don't worry, people still respect you." Yoon-ha winked.

"Yeah, but I wonder how long that'll last." Lynn said. 

"By the way, we're gonna try out for the synchronizing swimming team next week. I think it would be a great idea if you could include the info about the tryouts in the NL." Sera suggested, her eyes glinted in excitement. 

This was new news to her. Lynn didn't even hear that there was going to be any tryouts. She thought the sync swimming team wasn't going to be active until next year. Sync swimming was definitely something she never tried before, and being as adventurous as she was, she wanted to try everything. Instantly, she felt like joining. 

"That's awesome! Maybe I should join you guys too." Lynn beamed with eagerness, but then she noticed how Yoon-ha and Sera's face started to change. "What's wrong?" Her own smile faltered. 

"I...um...I don't think that's a great idea." Sera averted her gaze away from Lynn and stared at Yoon-ha, sending some kind of signals with her expression. 

"Why not?" she remarked, her tone slightly higher than just now. Were they afraid that she was going to make it to the team, and not them? Or did they just didn't enjoy her tagging along? 

"Well..." Yoon-ha started, but she seemed to be at lost of words. 

"Lynn, we just think that you're not...suitable...enough." Sera spoke slowly, and bited her lips in a hesitant manner. 

It took Lynn a moment before the words finally seeped through her mind. 

Not suitable enough. 

She noticed they were looking at her figure, and she immediately felt slowly closing it on its own. 

"Oh...yeah, nevermind then." she forced a laugh but it sounded too strained. "I still have other curricular stuffs to do anyway." she waved the idea off with her hand, acting nonchalant.

There were guilt in their eyes, but then it disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared. "We'll see you later, then. Don't work yourself up too hard." Sera reminded her, and walked out of the room with Yoon-ha. Lynn waved them goodbye, but deep down she felt like they had just stabbed her with a knife.  

 

 

After Council's meeting, Lynn tried to search for the AVT room. She needed the audio team to make an announcement about the hi-tea event that was going to be held. Unfortunately, she was already late for class, and this eventually caused her to panic. Sometimes it wasn't a good thing that she was someone who cared immensely about time. 

She was checking the labels on the doors when she heard a camaraderie coming from one of the rooms. She instinctively walked towards it and found that the door was opened, and in large, bold, letters, on the sign was AVT ROOM (Audio, Visual and Technology).

"Ya you dimwit, you can't put that song!" someone hollered. 

"Oh come on, it's completely harmless." the other guy pouted. 

"Not when it involves the uses of words such as disco sticks." 

"Kai," the playful looking guy rolled his eyes. "Just this once. I promise." 

"Baekhyun," Kai imitated him. "Remember that one time you promised? And we ended up being suspended?" 

"There's always a first in everything." Baekhyun grinned a goofy smile.

"Shut up, Baek. Just do your work." Sehun groaned. 

Lynn immediately felt awkward standing there for a couple of minutes when none of the boys noticed her. She cleared , and all at once, all heads were spun towards her. 

"," Baekhyun muttered, quickly taking his feet off the table. 

"Um, hi. I'm sorry for disturbing your "song choosing ceremony". But I need to ask for an announcement to make during lunch break." Lynn spoke with a sense of someone who was in charge, and Kai frowned at her. 

He was looking at a medium-height girl, with jet black hair that was tied in a braid that rested on her left shoulder. She had small eyes, and a fair amount of pimples dotted her forehead. She wasn't skinny like all the other girls in the school.

"Who are you?" Kai asked in disinterest, and both Sehun and Baekhyun stared at him in bewilderement. 

She was evidently surprised by his question. "I'm Kimberlynn Leav. The Student's Council president, and the Head of Editor of the Editorial Board." she said matter-of-factly.

Kai seemed indifferent by the revelation but then he stood up. "Pleased to meet you, Kimberly. I'm Kim Kai, in charge of the AVT. I'm sorry to disappoint but we can't attain to your request." he said, almost sounding bored.

"First of all, it's Kimberlynn. And secondly, why not?" Lynn felt annoyed now. She was already late for class, and this guy here just mispronounced her name in which maybe he did that purposely just to annoy her, and not to mention he rejected her request just like that?

Kai smiled mockingly. "You don't have the veto to just storm in and ask for what you want. At least get a teacher's approval." 

Lynn felt her cheeks burning in embarassment. She quickly retorted. "Excuse me, but do you know who you're talking to---"

Kai cut her off. "Yes, I'm aware of that. You should really stop being so full of yourself." 

She stared at him in disbelief, gaped. 

"Kai! What are you doing?" Sehun whispered urgently, pulling at his arm. 

Kai ignored him, never shifting his gaze away from her. "Maybe you should save yourself some time and come back later with the teacher's approval." 

Lynn felt small underneath his stare, her pride was scraped by his words, but she lifted her face and locked eyes with him nonetheless. "Fine. Thanks for your cooperation." With that final word, she left the room. 

"We don't even need teacher's approval, man. Why did you say that?" Baekhyun asked when Kai finally sat down again. 

When Kai didn't answer, Baekhyun looked to Sehun for the answer, but Sehun simply shook his head. 

Kai felt bad afterwards for being so mean, but he had his own reasons. It was because he hated girls like that; ones that were so full of themselves. 

And he knew that Kimberlynn wasn't any different.

 

 

Author's note: 

I hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter! I wanted to try writing a slice of life genre, and hopefully I could convey the messages that I wanted to deliver through this story. Thank you for reading!