A Second Chance - The Complete Story

A Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Second Chance

/one shot form/

 

--/---

 

“Don’t you understand it Myungsoo? It was never important to me anyways.” Jiyeon chuckled as she lightly pushed Myungsoo’s hand which was holding on her wrist

“You’re lying Jiyeon. You can't leave me! I love you. How can you break up with me?” Myungsoo was desperate. He could never let go of Jiyeon, however it was the total opposite for Jiyeon.

“This isn’t love, Myungsoo-ah. Don’t fool yourself.” She showed a smile at him and turned around, walking away from him. Today was the last day of university – summer was waiting for them. Finally, Jiyeon thought to herself.

“Myungsoo too?” Suzy walked towards Jiyeon and gave her a cup of coffee.

After taking a small sip of the coffee, Jiyeon only nodded her head as they continued walking around the halls. Suzy left a sigh, she was already used to Jiyeon going out with boys and leaving them the next moment, but she could never fully understand her mind.

“He seemed so desperate.. He really looked heartbroken.” Suzy muttered looking anywhere but Jiyeon’s eyes.

Jiyeon chuckled. “He will get over it. But I'm more worried for Jieun.” Jiyeon pursued her lips, she was almost sure that Jieun, her best of best friend, will fuss over breaking up with Myungsoo too.

“Isn’t she already used to it?” Suzy asked confused. She knew that Jiyeon and Jieun have been friends ever since the age of 5, on the other hand she met them 2 years ago.

“She is, but it's always the same. You know her.” Jiyeon smiled at herself, she always was grateful for having amazing and caring friends, especially Jieun. “By the way, where is she and Seungyoon too?”

“Preparing the camping van probably. We will meet around 3 pm in front of Seungyoon’s place.” Suzy informed. Sometimes people said that Suzy was more of a secretary than a friend to Jiyeon, but she didn’t feel it nor did she mind it.

“Good thing we packed our bags yesterday, right Suzy?” Jiyeon laughed, remembering how messy her and Suzy’s room were after packing for the trip.

“Yeah, but cleaning the room was even harder. I didn’t know we had so many clothes.” Suzy also laughed. Actually, while cleaning last night they could barely breathe from laughing so hard. They can't deny it was so much fun.

“Once we come back from the trip we probably should buy some new clothes and give the others to charity. I always do like than in two years or something.” Jiyeon said as they finally left the building.

Suzy nodded with a small smile. Ever since living with Jiyeon, she has been experiencing new and new things. She never thought that with entering university she would live with Jiyeon, who basically didn’t mind Suzy living in her house.

 

--/---

 

“Everything is ready, right? You’re sure you didn’t forget anything?” Mino once again was looking around the house to make sure nothing is left out. Then he checked the van and once he was sure everything is done, they got in the van.

“It’s pretty spacious in here. More than I imagined.” Suzy mumbled as she, Jieun and Mino got in the camping van. As Jiyeon was in the front sitting with Seungyoon, who was driving.

“It's really nice. As expected, Seungyoon picked it.” Mino said, proudly. Of course it was meant to be a joke between friends. “But, why isn’t Jiyeon here, too?”

Suzy glanced at Jieun. “Maybe, she's avoiding you?” she muttered.

Jieun raised an eyebrow, then left a chuckle. “Because of breaking up with Myungsoo? She’s not a coward.”

“She broke up with him too?” Mino asked, quite shocked. But then, it was Jiyeon that they were talking about. “Heck, I shouldn’t even be surprised anymore.” He laughed.

Jieun only rolled her eyes. “Jiyeon will always be Jiyeon. Must expect everything from her.” Jiyeon was a dear friend of Jieun. They were always there for each other, always took care and grew up with the biggest bond and love.

“This time I seriously thought she would develop feelings.. Myungsoo was like a prince charming.” Suzy said, like always she wasn’t afraid of speaking her mind.

“That’s why she broke up with him. Jiyeon lets go of them once they get attached.” Mino muttered, Jieun didn’t like talking with people about Jiyeon’s relationships with people, even if they were her friends too – the only exceptions were Seungyoon and Mino. Not even Suzy.

“What happened to you and Seungyoon then? Jiyeon doesn’t have many male friends that are close to her.” Suzy asked. Let's say that the curiosity was getting the best out of her.

However Jieun had the most of it. “Suzy, ask Jiyeon instead. It's not right for us to speak about her.” She spoke up.

“But I'm her friend too.” That was the only argument Suzy had.

“Exactly. It should be easy.”

And with that their conversation about Jiyeon came to an end.

 

--/---

 

“You don’t mind driving the whole way. You don’t feel sleepy, do you?” Jiyeon kept on asking questions as Seungyoon drove.

“Are you sure that you can hear me through your headphones. I'm fine. Totally.” Seungyoon answered once again to her questions. Normal people would probably get annoyed, but this was how he and Jiyeon communicated most of the time.

“I’ve put on only one, I can hear you clearly.” Jiyeon said grumpily. “But then again, you barely talk I may just fall asleep.” She chuckled.

“if you wanted to sleep, why didn’t you go to the back?”

“I didn’t want to leave you alone. Sorry for being a thoughtful friend.” Jiyeon muttered.

“If you sleep, it will feel as if I'm alone, anyways.” Seungyoon laughed, but his gaze was fixed on the road.

“But once in a while you can glance at me, see my beautiful sleeping face, then smile and continue driving.” She showed a toothy smile once Seungyoon looked at her for a second.

“You drool when you sleep, Jiyeon-ah. It's not attractive.” Seungyoon said seriously, but both of them were aware that they were just playing around.

“I won’t talk to you. Hope you get bored as hell.” Jiyeon rolled her eyes and then put in the other half of the headphone and turned up the volume.

“Yah! Park Jiyeon!” Seungyoon muttered, and after a few more attempts he just pinched Jiyeon’s upper arm making her wince loudly.

“You will get it, Seungyoon. Just wait until we arrive.” Jiyeon glared at him, while rubbing her arm.

 

--/---

 

The five friends arrived at the sea side just when the sun was setting. They placed the van on the beach – this summer they were camping for a while. Everyone got out of the van, they had changed the sneakers with flip flops.

“This feels like the perfect place.” Jieun said once she looked around. She glanced at Jiyeon who was already looking at her. Both of them knew it was the perfect fit for Jiyeon.

The beach was clean and quiet, however behind the beach it seemed like the night life was quite good. It wasn’t like in the city, but it sure was fine for them – if they wanted the night life in the city they wouldn’t have come here.

“Oh, another van is coming.” Suzy pointed out.

“Yeah, some more friends decided last minute. But I'm not sure who besides KangJun and Rome are coming.” Jiyeon answered. Since KangJun was her cousin, they chit-chatted and when KangJun asked if he could join – Jiyeon was more than happy.

Suzy nodded, but she kept her eyes fixed on their van. KangJun and Rome got out first, Rome was probably driving. From the back side Eunji was the first to get out, then Naeun too and lastly Myungsoo. But the thing was that once they got out Myungsoo grabbed Naeun’s hand .. but he was directly looking at Jiyeon.

She had noticed them too. But she only thought it was a childish act.

“I'm going for a walk with Jieun. We will come back in a few minutes.” Jiyeon said to Suzy, Mino and Seungyoon and grabbed Jieun’s as they walked near the sea. 

“So, you didn’t pull me out because you felt jealous of Myungsoo and Naeun, did you?” Jieun chuckled, while walking with Jiyeon.

Jiyeon only laughed. “Of course not. You aren’t mad at me for breaking up with you, are you?” she tugged on her arm like a kid.

“Let's say I'm used to it already, huh?”

Jiyeon wasn’t satisfied with the answer however. One of the few things she hated a lot was when Jieun was mad at her. “He always said how he loved me and all, but I assured him it wasn’t love. And now he is with Naeun. I must have proven my point.”

“Jiyeon, I know that you know why is he with Naeun now.” Jieun said while looking at Jiyeon, who shook her head.

“No, he only must have come to his senses.” Jiyeon was someone who didn’t believe in deep love between and a male an a female, at least at her age. He hated when the boys said they loved her, they didn’t even know her properly.

“He wants to make you jealous. And when he sees you don’t care, he will try even harder.” Jieun was speaking softly, in a motherly matter.

“And eventually give up.” And compared to Jieun, Jiyeon just seemed like a cold hearted person. But that was barely 1% of Jiyeon. “This summer will be mine, I will be free and enjoy every bit of it. I won’t let anyone ruin it.”

“I'm not even doubting it. You always do what you want to do.”

 

“What took you so long?” Seungyoon scolded Jiyeon and Jieun as soon as they appeared in the van.

Jiyeon glared at him only. “Shall we check out what’s there to see in the city? I really want to walk around.” She looked at Suzy and Mino, who were glancing between her and Seungyoon.

“Weren’t you just walking with Jieun?” Seungyoon nudged Jiyeon’s shoulder, but Jiyeon ignored it and instead spoke to Suzy and Mino.

“We sat on the beach not so long after we walked away from you guys.. Now let's go.” She hopped around and after grabbing to Suzy and Mino’s hand she pulled them with her. Surprisingly she was really strong for such a slim figure.

“She really doesn’t want to talk, does she?” Seungyoon muttered to Jieun.

Jieun only nodded her head. “She just wants to let it go.. let it all go. We should support her and be with her.” She patted his shoulder in sign to follow the trio in front of them.

“You seem in a good mood.” Suzy smiled at Jiyeon. The person she was used to was now with her.. finally. Actually Suzy felt quite down when Jiyeon and Jieun walked by themselves.

“Of course. We will have so much fun.” Jiyeon said loudly as they walked. But on the other side even Mino knew something was off. Whenever Jiyeon was so hype something really was going on – probably because of the talk with Jieun. But, being a respectful and understanding friend he never persuaded Jiyeon.

“Jiyeon-ah, so what should we drink tonight?” he chuckled when he saw Jiyeon’s eyes glitter.

“I wish I could drink..” she muttered. “Maybe after a few days. I lost a bet with Seungyoon, so it won’t do.”

“He won’t know. It will be a small secret.” Mino moved his eyebrows making both Jiyeon and Suzy laugh.

“No. I'm a honest person. You can't play me.. Plus I'm fun without alcohol too.” She smirked at them and continued walking. The more they walked the more people they saw, the more places such as clubs, restaurants and some café’s too. This place was just for Jiyeon.

After looking around for some time they finally decided to sit in some place like a bar & restaurant . Jieun and Seungyoon also were behind them and entered the place. Suzy, Mino and Jiyeon had already found their places. Seungyoon immediately rushed to sit when he saw the empty space next to Jiyeon.

“Don’t sit next to me. I don’t want you.” Jiyeon muttered.

“So now you’re talking to me?” Seungyoon smirked as Jiyeon frowned at him. Best friend relationship at its best.

“I tried my best to make her drink some, but she insisted she can't because of you. Seungyoon, you're such a horrible friend.” Mino chuckled.

Seungyoon tilted his eyebrow. “I'm a horrible friend? Then what about you?” and they all laughed it off, until Myungsoo and Naeun walked in, coming towards their direction.

“Can we join you? Eunji, Rome and KangJun are following.” Naeun smiled at them and without waiting for their answer she just sat down.

Actually Suzy felt more annoyed than Jiyeon herself. Just Naeun’s smile and actions irritated her, she found them so fake.

“Oh, you already found a place?” in no time Eunji, Rome and KangJun walked in. Jiyeon who was sitting got up and gave Eunji a small hug.

“You can sit on my seat, I will go to the bar for a while.” She said quietly, but enough for them all to hear.

Myungsoo immediately smiled to himself, thinking he affected Jiyeon.

“And, no, Seungyoon. I promise I will not drink anything that has alcohol in it.” She chuckled. Seungyoon also wanted to follow her, but she lightly shook her head ‘no’ at him. Seungyoon could only sigh at Jiyeon’s actions. Why did she have to act so independent when she was surrounded by people.

Meanwhile Myungsoo was following Jiyeon with his eyes, he didn’t even care that the rest noticed that. He only had eyes for Jiyeon. But the smile he had from before, soon disappeared when he saw Jiyeon sit next to a guy.

Actually all of them saw Jiyeon sit next to a guy, but they couldn’t say nor do something.

“I saw you were looking at me for a while.” Jiyeon said as she sat down on the seat. She had put on a charming smile.

The guy smirked at her, checking her out from head to toe.

“I came here to tell you that if your eyes dare follow my body line again, I will seriously hit you.” She said with a sweet voice, but with a cold gaze.

The guy’s smirk grew bigger, thinking that Jiyeon was playing hard to get.

“Also, I already am interested in someone else.. I mean, I would never look at inhuman stuff – like you.” She smiled at him and got off her seat, walking away from him. She again noticed some eyes following her. She turned around a locked eyes with some other guy, who was watching her from a small distance.

With a charming smirk, she winked at him and continued walking to somewhere she won’t be seen from her friends.

“So, you actually followed me.” she said to the guy she winked at.

“It was an invitation, wasn’t it?” the guy chuckled. “I'm Taehyun. I don’t think I’ve seen you around before.”

“obviously, since I just arrived here.” Jiyeon chuckled. “I'm Jiyeon. Nice to meet you.”  She said, expecting the guy to offer her a drink or make a compliment at her.

“Well, hope we can see each other again. Anyways, I need to go. I only dropped by to get something.” Taehyun smiled at Jiyeon and walked away without another glance.

Jiyeon stood frozen in her place. This wasn’t something she's used to. A male didn’t hit on her, didn’t make gross comments, didn’t even check her out obviously .. That was strange. But being a cheerful person, she just laughed it off and walked over the table and sat next to Seungyoon and Eunji.

“Why are you smiling? It's creeping me out.” Seungyoon muttered, making Myungsoo glance over them.

“Did you get his number or something?” Naeun asked loudly. She didn’t care that people looked at her negatively.

Jiyeon just leaned towards Seungyoon and whispered in his ear. “If you're wondering about that guy, I sent him off. But I'm smiling since I was somewhat rejected.” And after leaning back she just chuckled to herself.

Seungyoon gave her a look, but then laughed quietly too. Of course Jiyeon would laugh at such things.

“I promise I will tell you later.” She glanced at Suzy, Mino and Jieun. While Myungsoo was burning with jealously.. he never realized that Jiyeon was so close with Seungyoon. He was blinded by Jiyeon’s charms.

 

--/---

 

The next morning, Jiyeon woke up early and decided to take a slow walk around the beach. She was mumbling some lyrics from the recent songs she played and was looking at the calm sea. How peaceful, totally opposite of last night. Jiyeon was like that too. When she was alone, she was calm and quiet.. but when she was surrounded by people she was energized and hyped up.

“We meet again.” Jiyeon suddenly heard a familiar voice and turned around. Taehyun whom she met last night was in front of him. She immediately smiled at him.

“Hey. I actually had no hope about it.” She chuckled.

“Ey, don’t be like that. There is always some hope, even if it's 1%.” He smiled at her and came closer.

“Maybe. Maybe not.” Ever since talking with him last night, Jiyeon didn’t act flirtatiously towards him. Especially after seeing him on a daylight he seemed more like the calm type, than the party animal.

“Guess, you won’t be winking at me anymore?” Taehyun laughed.

Jiyeon waved her hands at him, slightly embarrassed, but slightly. Then she smirked at him like last night. “I don’t think you can take my charms.”

“Must be true. But I’d rather see them .. even a small part.”

 

 And with that they started chatting comfortably, as if they have known each other for years. Taehyun had already took interest in Jiyeon since last night, but he didn’t know how to show it. He couldn’t deny that Jiyeon was like a goddess, how she glowed. Meanwhile, to Jiyeon, Taehyun felt different. Something in him was mysterious, even if he looked normal. She wanted to know it.. she wanted to get to know him .. as if he's a puzzle.

 

 

But this isn’t how the story goes on. It would be a terrible lie to pretend that Jiyeon and Taehyun’s story has a happy ending..

This time let’s move a little forward and see the real story. No more untold stories and secrets. This time for real.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The worst type of waking up probably is to be woken up by a phone call. It was like that for Jiyeon at least.

“Uh, what?” Jiyeon huskily answered to her phone, after struggling to find it for a while. She could barely open her eyes, but she managed to take the call.

“Jiyeon-ah! Finally!” it was Jieun on the other line. A wake up call – the best friend’s duty, especially when the friend was a party animal.

“Speak, Jieun.” Jiyeon was still not fully awake yet. The morning was filled with regret. She knew she shouldn’t have drank so much alcohol last night. Late regret.. once again.

“You have 30 minutes to get ready and go out. We have to meet up with the others at the airport. You cannot just miss out this vacation. It will be so much fun.”

Jiyeon only chuckled. Since when was Jieun so excited for a mere vacation? But Jiyeon couldn’t think too much, the headache didn’t allow her too. She couldn’t even remember why did she drank so much? She could only find it funny at this point.

“So, it's not Seungyoon who planned it this time, is it?” Jiyeon asked and started brushing her teeth.

“No! I prepared everything. Don’t worry. It will be perfect this time. No one will bother you... Us actually.” Jieun chuckled nervously.

“Alright then. See you there.” Jiyeon said while smiling at herself in the mirror. In no time she washed up and prepared to go outside.

 

Jiyeon wearing a dress with floral motives. It was the perfect fit for a summer day. She also decided to go with a small bag that only fit her phone, cigarettes and her wallet. But she was cool with it.

As she walked, she noticed men glancing at her. She only smiled flirtatiously and continued walking. The sun was shining, it was a nice day. Maybe a perfect day. As she walked towards the familiar café, a young boy stopped her.

“Noona, the newspaper. It's on me today.” The boy handed her the newspaper.

She winked at him cutely and went straight to the café. There were some tables placed outside and she just sat on one of them. “An Americano, please.” She said sweetly to the waiter, placed her bag on the table, and took out her pack with cigarettes.

In no time her Americano was here, she light up the slip cigarette and started looking through the newspaper.

“Smoking again? I thought you had stopped.”

Jiyeon looked up, in front of her Seungyoon was standing with a smile.

“Guess not.” Seungyoon muttered, as Jiyeon looked around the people in the café. She took out some money from her wallet and placed it on the table. She turned off the cigarette that she could not smoke properly and got up, walking with confident steps towards Seungyoon’s car.

“I hate it when you’re silent. What did I do again?” Seungyoon got in his car and turned to Jiyeon, who was checking her reflection in the small mirror.

Suddenly, she turned at him and smiled sweetly. “You fell in love with me. But you shouldn’t have.” She said and then as Seungyoon started the car, she read the newspaper.

Seungyoon was driving carefully in the silence. He wanted to talk to Jiyeon, but for some reason he could not.

“Why did you pick the long road? Because it’s empty and calm?” Jiyeon asked, but ended up laughing. Just like a spoiled brat.

“Because I wanted to talk with you. Isn’t it obvious?” Seungyoon said without taking his eyes from the road. However, this time Jiyeon did not even reply, he guessed she was reading something. Nevertheless, the next moment Jiyeon’s hands were on the steering wheel.

The next moment he remembered how he saw some people carrying Jiyeon to the ambulance. She had flown out of the car... Had Jiyeon jumped?

 

--/---

 

Jiyeon’s POV

“Honey, she is finally awake! Come here! Jiyeon finally woke up!”

 

Puff, why was my mother yelling like that. Isn’t it normal that I woke up?

 Just how much I am craving for a cigarette…

Feels like as if I have not smoked for a while…

What is with that strange feeling?

 

“Jiyeon-ah, are you alright? How are you feeling?” my mother asked with a worried expression on her face. What was all the fuss all about?

“I'm alright, mom.” Back then, I did not realize it. I just smiled at her innocently and light up a cigarette. However, the next moment my father took out off my hands, threw it on the floor and stepped on it.

Something was really off.

“Am I missing out something?” I couldn’t handle their worried looks, as if a miracle has happened. “Tell me.”

Moreover, they started explaining what happened. Exactly a week ago, I was in an accident. Apparently, I was found on the floor in forest, Seungyoon was still in the car when the ambulance arrived.

They said that my heart had stopped beating when they found me, but at some point when they had taken me to the hospital, I was breathing. So strange. In that week I was awake, but for some reason I did not speak or show any other signs that I am alive.

However, I was obviously awake now … pardon me, I was obviously alive. Nevertheless, my parents were still worried about me. I wonder why…

The next day Seungyoon and Jieun came to visit me… but something was missing. Suzy and Mino had not come with them.

We went to the hospital garden and casually sat on the grass, a cup of coffee in my hand and a cigarette in the other. That was I. While we chatted, a doctor approached us.

“Park Jiyeon-ssi, May I ask you a few questions?” he asked.

I nodded. It was a normal thing to do, but something just felt off. Seungyoon and Jieun seemed a lot interested in my answers. What were they expecting?

“Jiyeon-ssi, how old are you?” the doctor asked.

“I'm 17 years old. Why?” I answered. Seungyoon and Jieun looked at the doctor, worried. Then they looked at me. “I'm kidding. I'm 21 years old.” I chuckled. They obviously couldn’t take a joke.

“Jiyeon-ssi, do you remember what you wore the day of the accident?”

“Hmm… let me think.” For a moment I closed my eyes, I just tried to get the image of my outfit that day. I did not imagine it would be this hard. “I think I woke a white shirt and some black shorts. Why?”

Once again, Seungyoon, Jieun and the doctor was glancing at each other. What was wrong and why were they leaving me out of this?

“You may tell her.” The doctor quietly said to Jieun.

With teary eyes Jieun looked at me, Seungyoon placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Jiyeon, that was a month ago. You wore that when we went on a trip on the seaside.” Jieun said slowly, as if it was hard for her.

Being the immature person I am, I just laughed. I could not believe such words. However, seeing how serious they were, my smile fell as well. “What do you mean? Do you say that I don’t remember the past month?” I asked with a shaky voice.

“That can be considered normal. You were in a car accident, Jiyeon-ssi. I am sure you can get back your memories.”

“I don’t need the memories, doctor. Just assure them I haven’t gone crazy.” I chuckled. But the mood was still stiff.

 

--/---

 

In less than a week, I was out of the hospital. As if the accident had not happened, I continued my life. I could not remember anything from it anyways.

I was back. The loud nights, the alcohol, the people, the music. Everything was exactly like I remember. Everyone assured me I was fine. All the time they said I was all right. I believed them. But there was emptiness.

“Jiyeon-ah, can you get me a beer, please.” Jieun shouted through the loud music. I turned at her and with a small smile replied. “Sure.”

Seungyoon was watching me from the couch where I was sitting a minute ago. They did not even leave me alone. However, I did not see Suzy at all. Mino called once when I was in the hospital, he came when I was leaving the hospital too. However, no sight of Suzy at all.

After getting the beer Jieun wanted I spotted a beach hat in the trash bin. I do not remember seeing it, but there was a feel to it. I took it out from the trash bin. I was not in my mind. I just made small steps; I was walking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter