final

With A Bang

Sohee let out a sigh and took a sip of her beer as she watched the sappy drama playing on her television. All of her friends were out partying the night away to celebrate the last day of 2014 but she decided to stay in and just relax. Besides, it’s not like she had anyone to spend the night with anyways. Her boyfriend was all the way across the world studying architecture and she was at home drinking.

The girl kicked her feet up and rested them on the coffee table, something her mother always scolded her for. She took another drink of her beverage and started flipping through the channels, bored out of her mind. She landed on the news and saw a live broadcast of the ball drop in New York. She snorted at the sight of the large crowd in Times Square and muttered, “How the do you go to the bathroom?”

Her phone then rung, startling her, and she placed her beer down to answer the call. “Hello?”

“Sohee, you’re missing out right now! There’s a ton of people celebrating New Year’s Eve and some stores are even giving out free soju if you eat there! You really should’ve come with us tonight,” her friend screamed on the other line.

She pulled her phone away from her ear before placing it back and saying, “Why are you screaming? You’re hurting my ear.”

“Sorry! It’s just really loud out here. Like, really loud!”

Sohee snorted and pulled her knees up to her chest. “I can tell.”

Her friend shouted some more but she couldn’t hear anything so she decided to hang up. After sitting on the couch for hours, she slid off and walked over to her window. She pressed her hands against the cold glass as she looked down at the streets crowded with people celebrating the last day of the year.

All of a sudden, her phone rang and her face brightened at the particular ringtone. Her boyfriend specifically set Jeremy Passion’s Lemonade as his ringtone because that was his favorite song and because he wanted to walk down the aisle with her to that song.

She raced over to coffee table where the device lay and she hastily answered the call, nearly dropping her phone in the process.

“Hello?” came the breathy voice of her boyfriend, Jongin.

A smile spread of her face and she answered, “Hey.”

“Happy New Year, babe,” he said in that deep voice that she loved.

“Happy New Year to you too. Well, it’s actually not the New Year yet but it’s almost here. Why are you still up? Isn’t it really late over there?” She asked as she sat down on her couch, her finger twirling her hair as if she was a teenage girl talking to her crush.

Jongin chuckled and shivers ran down her spine. “It is a bit late but I wanted to call and talk to you. How have you been?”

Sohee smiled widely and she laid down on the couch. “I’ve been okay; just lazing around as usual. You?”

“Same as always; studying my off and counting off the days until I go back to home to kiss the living daylights out of you,” he spoke with a smile.

She giggled, “You’re still as cheesy as always.”

“It’s my middle name. Hey, can you do me a favor and open up your door?”

That got her sitting up. “Open up my door? Why?” She questioned as her eyebrows scrunched together.

“I sent over a little gift and Baekhyun told me that he left it there,” he explained.

Sohee got up from the couch, putting on her slippers before padding towards the large metal door. “A gift? Baekhyun didn’t tell me anything about a gift from you.”

He laughed a bit and said, “That’s because it’s a surprise.”

“Okay then,” she replied skeptically.

The girl opened up her door and let out a gasp, her phone slipping out of her grasp in the process. Standing before her was her beloved boyfriend Jongin with a smirk on his face. “Miss me?” he asked as he tucked away his phone.

Sohee just screamed and jumped into his arms, making him stagger back and drop his bag from the force. He laughed cheerily as he hugged her tightly. He set her back down and before he could say anything, she grabbed his face and pressed their lips together.

At that moment, screams can be heard and fireworks are going off outside, signaling the beginning of the New Year. They pull apart and Jongin whispered, “Happy New Year, Sohee.”

She started crying and then hugged him again. “Happy New Year, Jongin.”

The tall boy squeezed her tightly and laughed. “What a way to start off the New Year, huh?”

She laughed and wiped away her tears. “It’s the only way to start it. I love you, Jongin.”

His face softened and he leaned down, his lips ghosting over hers as he muttered, “I love you too, Sohee,” before pressing them together.