Bewildered Deer chap.1

Bewildered Deer

Their relationship is not even better although a year has passed, they barely talk because Mega is getting busier with her internship and thesis for scholarship, she’s barely at home and spends days at the hospital and library. She’s preparing for her scholarship to Beijing so early so nothing will be missed, from her acceptance speech, her dress, hair, makeup, photo studio, picking a good apartment location in Beijing and even the formal meeting between her and Luhan’s parents. Everyone knows Mega is a perfectionist.

Luhan does well with his photography, he went around Korea with his friends and discovered many good places for his exhibition project. He’s planning to open a gallery in the end of the year after so many people offered him the opportunity and fortunately he gets a lot of help, because Luhan has a big potential in him, and his passion in the hobby seems real.

“Are you coming home?” the boy asks, he’s in her apartment, sits on the couch, randomly switching the tv channels.

“Umm, I’m afraid not..” Mega answers, he could hear the sound of busy noises happening in hospital, Luhan sighs.

“Have you eaten dinner yet?” he asks in worry, “I made mac and cheese do you want some? Still warm.”

“You know I don’t eat that, don’t you? It’s too fatty~” Mega whines, “And it’s near 8pm so I don’t think I will eat anything.”

Luhan rolls his eyes, “You’re so goddamn skinny take the ing mirror and see yourself!” he yells.

“Why are you so angry!?” the girl sounds pissed, “I have so many important stuffs to do you and my patients are waiting, if you’re just gonna yell at me like this I’ll hang up the phone.”

Luhan bites his lowe lips in frustration, he lows his tone, “It’s been a week since the last time we met and it was just.. ..” he breathes, “..and you left me before I even awake..”

“I miss you so much..”

“Me too..”

..

..

“But please understand I can’t leave all of this behind.

” Luhan wipes his face, breathes heavy, “Okay, I’m sorry.”

“I’m so sorry too, we’ll work this together right?” she says softly, “You know I love you more than anything, right?”

“Yeah, I love you too.” Luhan tries so hard not to cry, it has been so hard for him to keep their relationship as relevant as possible since that day he decided to come back and accept every risk.

“I’m hanging up the phone, goodbye..”

* *

Mega organizes her files and ready to go back to her ward, it’s 1 am and all patients are asleep. She’s going to check a few reports before going back to her room and sleep, if she’s lucky enough.

“dr.Lee, we need you in room 3050!” a nurse runs toward her.

“What happened?” Mega takes her stethoscope and fast walks to the nurse direction, she straights up her wide framed glasses.

“The new patient forcefully pulled off the IV cath and locked himself in the bathroom! His parents said he threatened to kill himself inside if they try to open the door.” the nurse answers, she sweats nervously.

“How old is he? Who’s responsible on him?!” Mega continue asks while looking at the patient’s status file.

“dr.Jung, we’re still trying to contact him, he’ll be here in a minute.”

Mega enters the room and finds the parents are crying in front of the locked bathroom door.

“How old is he?” Mega asks for the second time.

“Err.. twelve..” the nurse tentatively answers.

Without hesitation Mega knocks the door gently, “Jun, open the door please.” She says, “It’s me dr.Lee, I believe there’s a way to solve your problem and locking yourself inside the bathroom isn’t change anything.”

The mother of the child starts crying louder, “It’s not gonna work out, he wont listen to people..”

“Jun~ please open the door, I’ll be kind to you..” Mega is still confident with her gentle approach.

“I don’t want to be here! I want to go home!!” the kid screams which makes the parents cry even louder.

“I’ll make sure you’ll go home after you are fully recovered, you have to trust me.”

The nurse hesitantly pats Mega’s shoulder, “dr.Lee.. dr.Lee, please be careful..” Mega ignores the nurse and keeps knocking the door,

“Jun, I’m coming in and let’s talk like a friend, okay?”

She takes out her name tag card and slides it into the vertical crack between the door and the doorjamb and does a little trick until the door is finally open, Mega carefully steps in.

“dr.Lee!”  the nurse tries to stop her.

“Jun, where are you?”

Mega can’t see anything because it’s so dark, she is about to switch on the lamp when she feels something sharp penetrates her abdomen, the kid pushes her out and Mega falls hard onto the floor with blood streaming out from her belly. The nurses and the healthcare security immediately grab the kid’s body and restrain him, it turns out that the kid’s mentality is seriously disturbed.

“Oh my God! Dr.Lee!”

* *

A moment later Mega is on the emergency ward, getting stitches on her stabbed belly. Mega is still a bit dizzy after falling hard onto the floor and it seemed her head was hit by something.

“I’m sorry, it was my fault.” A guy with face covered by surgical mask, “The responsible consultant doctor of the patient who just stabbed your belly using a fruit knife just mailed me the secured medical record.” 

“What do you mean?” Mega’s voice weakens.

“He was treated in pediatric mental hospital in America, the parents brought him here to give him some rest. He was in the emergency ward this evening because of high fever and advised to get an intensive care in the pediatric ward. We had no clue with his mental issue.” The guy replies as he finishes the last stitch.

“Okay, done, I made a good stitch for your, clean and invincible, fortunately the knife didn’t go too deep.”

“Thanks!” she gets up and grimacing because the pain is still burning.

“No, please rest a bit more, I need to observe the wound. I’ll let you know when you can leave.” He takes off his gloves and mask, washes his hands and dries it with the paper towel.

“Oh..okay..” Mega rests her back again.

“I’m Pediatrician, Jung Taekwoon.”