9 화

At Jejudo (제주도 에서)
Please log in to read the full chapter

As suddenly as my hope had come, it went. My heart sank. Could I really do that? Could I really ask ShiYoon to propose to me? And if he did agree, would I be able to endure him saying the words I’d longed to hear all the time knowing I’d have to refuse him?

 

I gripped my wind blown hair in one hand and rested my forehead in the other. This was a dangerous idea. Not for ShiYoon--he had his path set with taking over the company and marrying Park ShinHye--he wouldn’t suffer from this deal. But it was almost certain I would suffer.

 

I shook the thought away before it had time to take root. Nothing bad will happen Kim MiYoung! This is your escape! This is the answer to all your problems! Your heart is in no danger. How many times had I seem ShiYoon in the past 18 months? And never once had my resolve shook. Not once had I questioned my decision. I could do this. I could ask ShiYoon to propose to me three times then leave for Spain.

 

Excitement surged in me, and the wind was strong enough for me to feel like, had I had the ability, I could soar through the clouds. I stood at the top of the rock and began the descent. I skidded and slid. I tried to find a good grip but the rock was too slick. The ground was coming too fast.

 

Looking over my shoulder, I checked the ground below, and finding it within a safe distance, dropped to my feet. My hands displayed the scrapes from my attempts at a peaceful descent, but they were minor. I brushed the dirt off of them and turned to walk back to the house.

 

Jung YongHwa stood no more than a few meters from me, a look of alarm on his face.

 

“Oh! You scared me Jung YongHwa! I didn’t think anyone else would be out this time of morning.”

 

“That was pretty amazing Kim MiYoung-ssi!” A slow smile curved his lips, and we both let out a hearty chuckle. Then, with admiration in his eyes, he said, “I was running to catch you, but apparently I could have saved myself the breath.”

 

“Yeah. Well. . .” I rubbed my forehead, feeling awkward. I wanted to walk away, but YongHwa stood there as if waiting for some explanation. So I shrugged, “Well, I guess I’m just not the damsel in distress type you might be used to.”

 

His full smile was beyond infectious. It was stunning especially now with the sunlight shining through the last remnants of the fog, highlighting his brown hair with a few strands of gold.

 

“Really?” he asked as he moved closer to me.

 

I pushed my tangled hair back in an attempt to manage it. How I must look! I came here straight from bed, the wind had been whipping my hair, I must like an unkempt beast at best.

 

But the admiring gleam did not leave YongHwa’s eyes, which I noticed contained the slightest hint of gold to them. His smile felt like a dose of sunshine directed at me.

 

“And why, Kim MiYoung-ssi, do you think you’re not the ‘damsel in distress type’ I’m supposedly used to?”

 

I felt my face grow warm. I remembered what ShiAhn had told me about no one respecting me because of the family reputation that had preceded me. How she laughed at the idea that any man here would even glance my way, let alone propose. While what I had done this morning wasn’t scandalous in any way, it wasn’t the proper thing to do either.

 

The squirming from my embarrassment stopped when I remembered something. YongHwa wasn’t like the rest of the people here. He was a free-spirited musician who cared nothing for the money, the spotlight, or the society. He didn’t care if I climbed rocks and wanted to go on adventures to far away places. So I decided I’d tell him the truth because it didn’t matter what he thought of me.

 

“Because unlike other girls, I feel the need to escape.”

 

Both eyebrows lifted. “Really? And what is your preferred method of escape? A door? No, that seems too obvious a choice. You seem more like the type of climb out a window.”

 

How had he known that? As a child I’d often climb out of my window to sneak away to visit the Yoon’s house. A wistful smile curved my lips. “Well, you know the saying: if a door is closed, a window opens.”

 

We both laughed as he stepped closer. Now I could see the faint stubble on his chin. And I had to admit, YongHwa was handsome. Very handsome in fact.

 

“You’re becoming more interesting every time I talk with you Kim MiYoung-ssi.” His eyes reiterated his words as he surveyed me with such intensity that I blushed and kicked myself again for looking so disheveled.

 

I gestured in the direction of the house as I backed away from him. “Anyway, I should be getting back to the house now. If you’ll excuse--”

 

“No, I won’t.”

 

I stopped and stared at him. “Excuse me?”

 

He shook his head. “No, I meant. Let me help you back. That cut looks pretty nasty.”

 

“Cut?” I looked in the direction his hand was pointing. The knee on one pant leg was torn and blood was beginning to crust on the fabric. I must have cut it when I was climbing down the rock. “Oh, no, it’s nothing. Just a scratch. I’ll be fine.”

 

Just then the wind blew off the ocean, throwing my hair across my face in a tangled mess and rendering me momentarily blind.

 

“Sure you will!” he said said playfully. “Here take my arm. I can at least guide you there so you arrive in one piece.”

 

Admitting defeat, I grabbed his arm. My knee was a little stiff and my hair kept blocking my vision so I was grateful to have his help, even though my stubbornness would never let me tell him. We walked arm in arm across the lawn and through the courtyard to the massive front doors of the house.

 

“Alright, we’re here at the house. Let’s get you inside and cleaned up before breakfast.” YongHwa offered me his hand as I stepped inside.

 

We crossed the foyer together, and he helped me to the sitting room. As he left to go grab the first aide kit, he stood at the door frame and looked back at me. He wore that infectious smile on his face, and I couldn’t help but smile back at him. It was clear he saw my expression, so my face burned, but I turned away to hide it from him.

 

After a few minutes, I realized I’d not taken off my shoes when I entered. Not wanting to soil the carpets and flooring a

Please log in to read the full chapter