Brother and Me

Brother and Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungri surveyed the place with a careful eye. It was dark and smokey, and music was running through the walls, pounding like a head splitting migraine. Just how I like it, she thought. She went to pick up a pool cue from the wall where Minha was leaning against, smoking and talking to some guy she’d just met. Kyungri didn’t like it when Minha got all wrapped up in other people and she was left on her own (some wing woman indeed!) She fancied she could play some pool and make some friends for herself.

She let her hair hang down over her eye as she leaned over the table. She stuck her backside high as she leaned further, fully aware of the looks that she was drawing. She ignored them for a moment and focused on lining up the shot, since deep down she hated nothing more than being beaten at pool.

 

“Nice shot,” murmured her companion.

 

Kyungri pushed the hair out of her eyes as she straightened up. “Begininner’s luck I guess,” she said. She messed up the next shot and handed him the cue.

 

“Do you come here often?” he asked her.

 

“Time to time.”

 

“A dirty pool lounge is no place for a nice young lady.”

 

“I’m not a lady,” Kyungri said. She took back the cue.

 

“Yeah, that’s what I figured.”

 

Kyungri lined up the next shot, but stood up again quickly. “I don’t know what to do,” she told him. She was lying, but men always liked it when you made them think they had the upper hand.

 

“Aim for this one,” he said and pointed at a spot on the table.

 

She leaned over again and he came around to stand next to her. “That’s alright, but you gotta hold it more like this.” He put his hand over hers and she felt her body tense. This feels wrong, she thought. Her hand was so jittery now that she completely messed up the shot.

 

“Ah, silly me,” she said, but now her voice was high and tense.

 

“That’s okay,” he said, and he took the cue out of her hand. “How about we finish up here? I don’t think I want to play anymore pool.”

 

“Ah...” Kyungri looked around desperately for Minha, but she had vanished in the smoke. Damn Minha! How could she leave me like this?

 

The man took her by the hand. “I think I know a place we could go.”

 

“Uh, actually, I think I have to go now. I’m with a friend, and I think she’s lost.”

 

The man smiled at her. “I think you’re lying.”

 

Kyungri pulled her hand away and headed straight for the stairs. She ran up two stairs at a time, and doubled over when she reached the street. It was almost midnight on a Saturday night and the entertainment district was still crawling with people. Kyungri pulled her phone of out her purse and thought about texting Minha. Minha, help me I’m lost. Ah, to hell with it! She’d just head home on her own.

 

“There you are. Trying to sneak away, were you?”

 

Kyungri froze. The guy from the club had followed her out. Now that she could see him in the street lights he looked much taller, and menacing. He pushed her against the wall.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter