CH.4

Obsession

Later that night Rylie was sitting on the couch watching some late night talk shows. She looked at the clock on the wall and than at her watch. They both say the same time; and only two minutes later than when she last looked. “What’s taking her so long?” She sighed, “I’ll just rest my eyes for a bit.” Rylie yawned and wriggles farther down into her blanket. She let gravity take control and her eyes slipped shut, and then she was fast asleep.

The sound of doors opening and closing woke Rylie from her slumber. She blinked her eyes a few times to focus her vision. Looking over she checked the wall clock, it was a quarter to four in the morning. Rylie rubbed her eyes and looked aground. “Zoey is that you?” she said rising from the couch. She made her way to Zoey’s room.

Knock, knock 

“Zoey are you in there? I’m coming in.” Slowly she opened the door and peeked in, the room was dark and the bed was still made.

Sniff…

“Zoey?” Rylie walked into the room and looked around, there in a corner curled into a fetal position was her roommate sobbing softly. “Sweetie what happened?” Rylie dropped to her knees beside Zoey and gently lifted her into a sitting position. She lifted her chin and started to ask the question again but stopped. Even by what little moonlight that shone through the window Rylie could tell what was wrong. The mark on Zoey’s cheek was all the explanation Rylie needed. “He hit you didn’t he?”

“No.” There was fear in her voice.

“Zoey if he hit you, I need to know. We can take care of this. You don’t have to be afraid.”

“NO!” Zoey shouted and shoved Rylie backwards into the dresser knocking over some pictures. They hit the floor and shattered. “Rye, I’m sorry are you alright?”

“I’m fine but I’m worried about you.”

“It’s nothing to worry about. Siwon and I had a little fight…”

“Hitting you isn’t nothing-,”

“No, no he didn’t hit me. We had a fight and I left to go to a bar. I got completely wasted and must have stumbled and smacked my face into something. Promise me you won’t bring this up to him. He’ll be upset if he knew I went out drinking.” Rylie didn’t believe what Zoey said. It was all… too convenient, but she promised none the less. It was a some what believable story and just last week Zoey got pretty drunk and ran into her dresser. Hell Rylie ran into her door and she wasn’t even drunk. She kept shut but her eyes open, hoping to stop it from ever happening again.

It’s been almost a week since Rylie found Zoey on the floor crying. She really wanted to know what happened between Zoey and Siwon but Zoey wouldn’t give the whole story and Siwon no longer talked to her, not even a ‘hi’ as they rode in the elevator together. ‘Things between him and Zoey must be really bad,’ she thought. Whenever she noticed Siwon looking at her he would quickly shift his gaze away guiltily.

One day Rylie had enough. She couldn’t keep quiet any longer it’s been a month since Zoey had the fight with Siwon that resulted with a bruise on Zoey’s cheek. There have been a few more mysterious bruises that Zoey claimed were from her being drunk and stumbling around. Each time, she made Rylie promise not to tell. Either Zoey was lying about being drunk to cover for Siwon or she seriously had a drinking problem. One way or another Rylie was going to get to the bottom of the matter.

Rylie and Siwon happened to be in the elevator at the same time. “We need to talk,” she cornered him. Just then the door opened up and a couple from the second floor got on.

“Okay, what’s on your mind?” Siwon asked. The coldness in his voice shocked her. He had ignored her for a while now. Why should this be a surprise? Besides why should she care if her roommate’s abusive boyfriend was nice to her or not. It still hurt though. The elevator stopped on the second floor, the couple got out and a group of kids got on.

“Not here.” Rylie grabbed Siwon’s arm pulling out before the doors closed. She dragged him to the stairs. Once the door sprung shut behind them Rylie shoved him against the wall.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Rylie demanded of Siwon angrily, giving him the second degree.

“What are you talking about?” He asked the confusion evident upon his face as he ran his fingers through his hair.

“It’s obvious that you and Zoey aren’t getting along but I don’t see how hitting her helps the situation any!” Rylie yelled.

“Have you lost your mind? I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. Are you accusing me of abusing Zoey?!” he yelled back unable to keep his cool with the angry young woman.

An older gentleman popped his head into the stairwell, “is everything alright in here? I heard yelling.”

“Its fine,” Rylie said in a tone that told the man he should mind his own business. She normally doesn’t act like this but she was too angry to know that she was being irrational. “Let’s talk on the roof where prying ears won’t interrupt.” She turned and stomped up the stairs. Siwon followed, he was extremely curious about what was going on in Rylie and Zoey’s apartment.

Zoey had mentioned to Siwon a few days ago that her and Rylie were having some issues. He was concerned about them but Zoey said that it'd be fine and she would work things out. Since then he’s been so focused on his work and what Zoey told him that he barely noticed anything around him. And now this, his life was too stressful. ‘I know she told me not to say anything to Rylie but the bullying has to stop!” he thought to himself.

Once on the roof, the cool breeze blew through Rylie’s hair. The breeze and the view helped clear her head. She was able to calm down and focus on what needed to be done. She took a deep breath and started over. “I realize it’s none of my business… no… scratch that, it IS my business. What exactly has been going on between you and Zoey?”

“I could ask you the same question.” Siwon said pointedly.

Rylie ignored his comment and asked her question again. She stopped once she realized what was said. “What?” she asked looking at him.

“I know all about the drugs and how you’ve been bullying Zoey. I’m not here to judge you or anything like that… I just think you should get some help.” Siwon said calmly not wanting to upset her, who knows what she’d do up here on the roof.

“Wait, I’m confused.”

“So am I. I thought you guys were getting along great and then Zoey comes to me with this. It just blows my mind how little I know you.” He said.

“Zoey said I was the one bullying her and doing drugs?! Why on earth would I?! She told me you were abusing her!” Rylie countered.

“She said you would try to turn it around on me… I didn’t want to believe it. And to think I actually liked you.” He sounded sad.

“I saw the bruises Siwon! I don’t know what you’re trying to prove but those marks on her are proof that there is something wrong.”

“I saw them too! We took pictures to show the police if we couldn’t get you to stop. But Zoey still thinks of you as a friend and didn’t want to get you in trouble.” Just then his phone went off. “It’s my work. I have to go. If I were you I’d get help for that drug problem and those anger issues before you do something to hurt her again. And if that happens so help me God I’ll go straight to the police.” He turned and walked back inside. Rylie just stood there dumbfounded. ‘How did everything go so terribly wrong?’ she thought.