Christmas Day

Snowed in at the Office

Jungsu wakes up with a crick in his back that could only have been the consequence of falling asleep in a desk chair. He gingerly tries to sit up, cringing in pain until his back sounds a satisfied “crack!”. It’s at this moment when he finally registers where he is. He recalls the events of last night, when the usually confident Kim Heechul gave him an uncharacteristically honest confession. He looks over at the other man in the chair beside him, who is snoring contentedly even though his neck is in an awfully uncomfortable looking position and the sun is beginning to shine directly on his drooling face. Jungsu chuckles at the sight. He turns around and quietly makes his way to his desk, opening one of his drawers and reaching into it to find the toothbrush and toothpaste he stores there to use when his own coffee breath starts to annoy him. He goes to the bathroom to wash up, brushing his teeth thoroughly and splashing cold water on his face. He returns to find Heechul sitting up in his chair, squinting at the sun in his eyes and massaging the back of his neck.

    “Good morning, Sleeping Beauty,” Jungsu smirks. Heechul turns to face him and rolls his eyes. He grins.

    “I already knew I was beautiful, but thanks for trying.” His brow suddenly furrows. “What time is it?” Jungsu glances at the watch on his left wrist.

    “Ten-thirty,” he replies, “we’re lucky the company’s closed on Christmas or we’d probably be fired by now.”

    “Fired? They should appreciate the overtime.” Jungsu laughs.

    “I don’t think they’d call drinking whiskey working overtime.”
    “Touché.” It’s at this moment when Heechul spies the toothbrush in Jungsu’s hand. “You were in the bathroom.” Jungsu nods. He offers up his toothbrush and toothpaste.

    “Would you like to borrow them?” Heechul looks at them a little hesitantly, but shrugs and takes them anyway.

    “Wouldn’t want my breath to reek of alcohol on our date today.” He winks. Jungsu snorts and smacks him on the shoulder.

    “Just go brush your teeth, you goof.”

    “Anything for you, Dear,” Heechul calls as he walks down the hallway. Jungsu shakes his head with a smile. He sits down and takes time to actually consider what they should do on their date. Getting breakfast would probably be the best way to start, seeing as they just woke up. But would any places be open on Christmas day? Any places other than convenience stores? He’s not sure, but as Heechul comes back from the bathroom he hopes they’ll be able to find a good place.

    Heechul waves the toothbrush and toothpaste at Jungsu. “These go in your desk, right?” Jungsu nods.

    “Second drawer to the right.” Heechul deposits the supplies into their designated drawer before returning to his desk chair. The two of them bask quietly in the sun for a few moments, allowing the light to warm their faces. Jungsu glances over at Heechul, who, contrary to when he awoke, is smiling softly, enjoying the sun. He face looks soft and his hair is long and silky, just reaching his shoulders. Jungsu recalls the one time Youngwoon had described Heechul to him. “His looks are on par with like, Jessica Jung. Even I’d date him if he weren’t a complete douchebag.” Jungsu smiles to himself. While Youngwoon was right about his looks, and Jungsu admits Heechul could be a little brusque and very sarcastic, there was just something about him. He had been so honest and sincere to Jungsu last night. This was a side of him Jungsu had never witnessed before, and he rather liked it. “Hey.” Heechul swivels in the chair to face him.

    “What?”

    “How about getting breakfast?”

    One of Heechul’s signature smirks appears on his face before he replies: “Oh, but I was just starting to enjoy being stuck in an office building.”

    Jungsu rolls his eyes. “Suit yourself,” he says, desperately trying to keep the grin bubbling up inside him from reaching his face. He pseudo-calmly gets up and pulls his arms through the sleeves of his jacket, but before he can stride down the hallway to the elevator, Heechul grabs his wrist.

    “Wait for me, ok?” Heechul asks with a more subdued smile, and Jungsu simply nods.

    “Of course.” Heechul lets go of his wrist and puts on his own jacket. When he’s ready, the two of them walk down the hallway to the elevator. Jungsu presses the down button and they wait. The elevator opens with a “ding!” and they step on. Jungsu leans forward to press the ground floor button, then returns to his place beside Heechul. He suddenly feels Heechul’s hand snake into his. He looks at Heechul, but he’s averting his eyes. His face is unusually red.

    “Don’t look at me,” he mumbles, “I’m kinda new to this.”  Jungsu squeezes his hand reassuringly.

    “It’s fine, don’t worry.”

    When the doors open, Jungsu leads them out the door and into the parking lot. But when he finds his car, it is blanketed with layer and layers of snow, a cold and icy prison.

    “We could take the subway,” Heechul offers, and Jungsu silently condemns himself for not thinking of that first-for not thinking of that last night, more particularly. But, he consoles himself with the fact that it was probably too snowy last night to even walk to the subway. And if he had used the subway last night, Heechul wouldn’t have had opportunity to confess and they wouldn’t even be going on this date right now. Jungsu concludes he is actually thankful he didn’t think of it.

    So, Jungsu agrees, and they walk hand in hand to the closest subway entrance. It’s only when they’re sitting side by side on the bench in the subway car when Jungsu remembers.
    “I don’t even know where we’re going.” Heechul looks over at him and snorts.

    “Of course you ask me out to breakfast and don’t know where we’re going. You’re lucky I know a place.” Jungsu’s eyes widen in surprise.

    “You do?”

    Heechul glances up at the narrow screen listing the subway stops. “Yeah, and it’s right off the next stop.”

    “Is it open today?”

    “If it’s not, I’ll personally drag Kyuhyun’s lazy out of bed and make him open shop.” Soon after he says this, the subway halts to a stop and the doors open. This time, Heechul’s the one who leads them off the subway and back up onto the streets.

    “Kyuhyun?” Jungsu asks, curious as to who Heechul was referring to.

    “Ah, yeah, the owner of the shop. He was an underclassman of mine in college. He’s kinda a loser. Don’t know how Zhou Mi puts up with him.” Heechul stops in front of a small café. The signs says open, but he squints through the windows to check before waving to the man standing behind the counter.     

“Zhou Mi?”

    “His hot Chinese boyfriend. Too good for him, I’d say, but they seem to work well. They own this place together, actually.” He brings Jungsu to the door and pushes their way in. The man behind the counter greets them with a wide smile.

    “Good morning, Heechul, long time no see!”

    “Yeah, been busy with work and other boring bull. Where the hell’s your boyfriend?” The man laughs.

    “Kui Xian had a little too much wine last night, you know how he is.” The man his head to the side. “Who’s your friend?” Heechul makes a nod at Jungsu, still squeezing his hand.

    “Jungsu, this is Zhou Mi. Zhou mi, this is Jungsu.”

    “It’s nice to meet you,” Jungsu adds.

    “It’s nice to meet you, too,” Zhou Mi replies, smile never faltering. His gaze then turns to Heechul. “I assume you’d like your usual?”

    “Yep, one mocha latte and a chocolate danish, like always.” Zhou Mi focuses back on Jungsu.

“What would you like?” Jungsu glances up at the menu, which lists various coffee drinks and breakfast pastries. He goes for a coffee, black with two sugars, and a croissant. He and Heechul find a table to sit at while Zhou Mi goes about filling their orders. In only a moment, Zhou Mi appears with their food.

“Enjoy!” He says with a smile, before disappearing into the back of the shop. While Jungsu eats, he watches Heechul takes bites of his danish, the twinkling christmas lights decorating the café shining on his face.

“Hey,” Jungsu says, “I’m really glad you brought me here.” Heechul smiles.

“No problem,” he replies.

“And since we’re on a real date now, I was hoping we could make it official.”

“You mean?” Heechul’s face starts to tinge pink, and Jungsu is sure the same thing is happening to him. He nods and takes a deep breath.

“Kim Heechul, would you go out with me?” In a sudden motion, Heechul leans across the table and smashes his lip against Jungsu’s. And Jungsu doesn’t care that he spilled his coffee onto his lap, and he doesn’t care that he can hear snickering from somewhere behind the counter, because Kim Heechul is kissing him. So when they finally part and Heechul breathes, “Hell yes,” he couldn’t be any happier. Jungsu feels the coffee dripping down his leg and the cackling behind the counter grow until Heechul leaps up from his seat and yells: “CHO KYUHYUN IF YOU DON’T STOP LAUGHING I’M GOING TO GO OVER THERE AND BEAT YOUR INTO THE GROUND.”

Yep. He’s a keeper.

 

~Author's note~
Thank you all for reading and commenting! I got a lot of comments requesting a second chapter, so here it is! I hope you like it, and I apologize for sticking some QMi in there, but I couldn't resist. ;o; Anyway, thank you thank you thank you!!!