Chapter Two

Distance

“Ms. Park!”

“Yes madam?”

“Where is Kim Hanbin?!”

“He’s at his room madam.”

“He’s room? HE’S NOT THERE!”

“huh? But I saw him at his room.”

‘Uh! Hanbin! My son!”

“I’ll look for him.”

“Yes. Thank you. That kid always makes me depress. My god!”

Ms. Park, Hanbin’s family business assistant, searched for Hanbin.

“Come on. Hanbin! Hurry up!” Hanbin’s friends calling him for their hangout namely Bobby, Junhoe, Yunhyeong, Chanwoo and Donghyuk.

“shhhh! Mom might hear you.”

“so you’re getting away?” Chanwoo asked curiously.

“AGAIN AND ALWAYS.” Junhoe said and let out a sigh.

“Come on Chanwoo. He always do that. Get rid of it.” Bobby said.

“Come on let’s go.” Hanbin said excitedly.

“Kim Hanbin.” Ms. Park said while her hands on her waist.

They all paused and faced Ms. Park pokily.

“Annyeong Ms. Park.” They all greeted.

“Your mom is looking for you.”

“Ms. Park. Please don’t tell mom. We’re out for a hangout.”

“It’s an important day today. You and your parents will have a meeting with Mr. Lee and his family. You should not skip this event.”

“uhhh!” Hanbin looked down.

“Come on Hanbin let’s get ready. And you, all of you, you can go home now.”

“But Ms. Park please.” Hanbin begging Ms. Park.

“na-a let’s go.”

“Bye Hanbin.” His friends said altogether while awkwardly waving. 

Hanbin continues begging. “Please Ms. Park. Just for today please.”

“Beg to your mom, Hanbin.”

“Beg? Why?”

“Madam, here’s Hanbin.”

“Are you getting away from me again for your another stupid hangout with your friends?”

Hanbin didn’t look at his mom.

“is that what you’re going to beg, Hanbin?” Hanbin is still quiet.

“Answer me Hanbin.”

“neh.”

“uh! Son, listen. Today is an important event. We’re going to meet Mr. Lee’s family. He’s the owner of the most famous airlines here in Korea. You’re going to meet his beautiful daughter. In future, you’re going to work with each other. Isn’t that great?”

5 seconds silence. “No it isn’t.”

“Hanbin!” his mom started walking around while rubbing his forehead.

“Here goes Hanbin’s mom.” Ms. Park murmured.

“Okay. *deeply inhaled.* Get dress. Go. Go.”

“But mom..”

“I said get dress!” pointed to Hanbin’s room.

Hanbin went to his room very disappointed.

“Relax Madam”

“How can I relax? He’s like a 5 year old kid. He’s not getting old. He’s still immature. He doesn’t know how important this is to our family, the business.”

“I’ll go check him.”

“Yes please. Thank you.”

Hanbin heard what his mom said. He closed his eyes and sat on his bed.

“Hanbin?”

“Come in.” he said while staring at toy car beside him that he’s dad gave.

“Let’s get ready?”

“I hope dad is here.”

“Hanbin, you know your dad is busy handling the business.”

“I hope mom and dad exchange position. This toy car is memorable to me. Dad gifted this to me during my 12th birthday. He was there to greet me.  But mom.. She didn’t even remember my birthday. She never gave me a gift, not even once. All her life she focused on the business’s future, not mine. She always says it’s for my future but that’s not the way I see it. I feel like I’m not her son. Everything I do is wrong to her.”

“That’s not true, Hanbin. She’s concerned with you. She wants you to be prepared. Try to understand her. She’s a mother. A mother would always do everything for her child. She loves you so much that’s why she’s doing this.”

“I hate being her son.”

“Hanbin.”

“Ms. Park! Is he ready?”

“Almost Madam.”

“I’ll wait at the car. We can’t be late.”

“Yes Madam. *looked at Hanbin* you heard your mom. Let’s get ready.”

And Hanbin dressed up.

~MEANWHILE~

“Hanbin.”

“Hmm?”

“Your posture.”

“okay.”

“That’s more like it.”

Finally, they have arrived at the venue. Your family was waiting at the table reserved for Lee and Kim family while you were at the comfort room.

“Dad!” hanbin said with happiness.

“hey. They’re already waiting. Are you ready?” Hanbin’s dad was very nervous.

“Yes.” Hanbin’s mom confidently answered.

*At the table*

“Here they are.” Your dad said and stands to shake hands with Mr. Kim and family.

“How are you Mr. Lee?” Hanbin’s dad asked.

“I’m fine.”

“Oh, this is my wife and my son, Kim Hanbin.” Hanbin’s dad introducing them.

“You have a beautiful wife and handsome son.”

“Thank you.” Hanbin’s mom bowed.

“But seems like your son is not happy.” Your mom noticed.

“*looked at Hanbin* oh uhm. He’s kind of sick.”

“Oh I see.”

“Hanbin, don’t give that face to them. “ He’s mom whispered to him. Hanbin forcedly smiled.

“Please have a sit.” Mr. Lee offered.

“Oh where’s your daughter?” Hanbin’s mom asked.

“Oh she’s at the comfort room but she will be here anytime.” Your mom answered.

“I’m excited to see her.”

“She will be glad to see you Mrs. Kim.” And they both laughed. Hanbin rolled his eyes.

Mr. Kim noticed your baby brother. “That’s your son?”

“Yes. He’s name is Minguk. Say hi to uncle.”

“Annyeong.” Minguk cutely greeted. Hanbin chuckled when he saw Minguk’s smile.

“He’s so adorable.”

“Thank you. Why don’t you make another baby? You know for Hanbin.”

“Oh we can’t do that. We’re both busy.” And the conversation between the parents continues.

*This is awkward.* Hanbin thought.

“Oh here comes my daughter.”

“Annyeong Haseyo.” You greeted them all. Your mom introduced the visitors to you.

“Oh this is my son.” Mrs. Kim said.

“Annyeong.” You greeted but he just bowed and went back to his sit.

“Louis, you’ll sit beside Hanbin.” You looked at Hanbin and slowly went to your sit.

“So let’s talk about our agenda today.” Your dad started.

While your dad continues talking, you noticed Hanbin’s face. *this guy is not interested. Such a waste of time.* you thought and smirk. Hanbin heard your smirk’s noise. “What’s with that smirk?” madly looked at you. “Huh? I didn’t smirk at you.” You raised your left eyebrow. He looked away and continued showing no interest.  *I don’t like this guy.* you thought.

“About the partnership.”

“Oh yes Mr. Kim.”

“We promise to give you the best Mr. Lee.”

“I know. I know.”

“My son, Hanbin was planning to have an OJT on your company instead of ours.”

“But dad.” Hanbin complained. “Shh. Hanbin.” He’s mom pressed his hands. You noticed that.

“Oh really? My daughter, Louis is having also her OJT.”

“Wow. It will be great if they’re together at the training. Besides we’re partners, right?”

“I agree.”

Hanbin disapprovingly looked down. “Your attitude Hanbin.” He’s mother warned calmly.

“so when can he start?”

“Tomorrow.”

Hanbin’s eyes turned wide and suddenly shouted “TOMORROW!?”

You all awkwardly looked at him. After  10 seconds  of silence, he’s mother awkwardly laughed. “*laugh* I’m sorry for that... Relax Hanbin. *gave a death glare to Hanbin.”

“I’m sorry. I was just.. I was shocked. Be-because I’m not that prepared.” He was stammering.

“Don’t worry, Hanbin. We’ll take care of you tomorrow.” Your dad confidently replied.

“Tomorrow!?” He loudly whispered.

“Waeyo? You afraid?” you said.

“I’m not. I never get afraid of things like this. I’m good at it.” He confidently smiled.

“Well, let’s see.”

“are you challenging me?”

“Yes, I am.”

“*chuckled* watch on your words. You don’t know who Kim Hanbin is.”

“Not interested to know who Kim Hanbin is. It’s just a waste of time. *teasingly smiled*”

“Therefore, you’re wasting your time challenging me.”

You were about to talk back but the food came.

“Let’s eat!” Your dad said excitedly.

You sort of mad looking at Hanbin. He looked back and said teasingly “Love the food!” You rolled your eyes.