What Are You In Here For?

Between Bars and Scrutiny

Ever since he was a child, Kyungsoo had always been one to get swept up by the tide that was his peers, and would usually end up doing whatever it was with them, whether it be pranking teachers or parents, or annoying the neighbours' pet dog. He would return to his warm, sunny home, covered in dirt or bruises or grass or whatever he had somehow managed to coat himself with on his latest adventure, and stand awkwardly on the garden path as his mother sprayed him down with the hose. He'd never had a strong will, and so it came as no surprise to him when he was shoved into a holding cell, hearing the clang of the metal bars slamming shut. 

Kyungsoo tipped his head back and groaned, running a hand through hair already messy from a windy night-time game of tag with the police. He'd never thought it would end up like this. He'd only tagged along with his friends and eventually lost them in a mass of people gathered in an alleyway, and stared in horror as his gaze stilled upon two people, one man and one woman, eyes rolled towards the backs of their heads as giddy smiles danced on their lips. Finally realising what was happening, he'd turned to flee but had his wrist captured and was tugged back by a faceless person before the wailing sirens of police cars had announced the end of the 'party'. Of course Kyungsoo wouldn't be doing drugs himself, he was way too sensible for that. He just happened to be around the wrong crowd at the wrong time.

"So what're you in here for?" a sleep-laden voice came from somewhere behind Kyungsoo, startling him. 

"Wrong crowd, wrong time," Kyungsoo stated, trying to discern features from underneath tousled hair and a moth-eaten blanket. "What about you?"

"Passed out drunk on the station doorstep. What were you doing?" the man said, curiosity lacing his voice as he rubbed sleep out of his eyes.

"Drugs. Me? No. Friends? Yes," Kyungsoo muttered and rummaged through his pockets for his phone, smiling brightly as he saw that it still had full battery and reception, even in the dank cell. He folded his legs beneath him where he stood and sank gently to the ground, only looking up when he felt a shadow fall over him. 

"Kai," the man said, voice still husky from sleep. He sank to the ground with surprising grace and watched the other male’s wide eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"D.O," Kyungsoo said, not trusting a stranger in prison with his real name.

"D.O? What kind of a name is that?" 'Kai' laughed, shooting a smirk in Kyungsoo's direction.

"W-well, what kind of a name is Kai?" the shorter male retorted, momentarily thrown off guard by the sudden flash of blindingly white teeth.

'Kai' laughed again, louder, the sound this time more genuine. "All right, all right. Kim Jongin. And you are?"

"Do Kyungsoo," Kyungsoo muttered, wondering silently if he'd made the right decision.

Jongin seemed to see Kyungsoo's suspicion and laughed, the deep sound reassuring Kyungsoo slightly. "Don't worry, I'm just a hapless teenager who got drunk."

"You'd say that even if you weren't," Kyungsoo pointed out sullenly, pouting unconsciously.

Kyungsoo could have sworn the taller male's gaze lingered on his lips longer than was absolutely necessary, but brushed it off as a trick of the light. "So, Kyungsoo, tell me about yourself."

"Uh..." Kyungsoo stared incredulously at Jongin, eyes wider than they were already. "Now why would I do that?"

"Because you're already madly in love with me," Jongin stated matter-of-factly, and Kyungsoo laughed. 

"Are you serious? You're nuts," the owl-eyed male gasped, wiping tears of mirth from lidded eyes. "Do you usually say that to random strangers?" Jongin smirked and swooped down, eyes closed and lips parted, and before he knew it, Kyungsoo's lips were gone - he was gone - and there was a strangely strong grip around his neck, pulling him backwards slightly from his assailant's short stature. "I hope for your sake that you mistake was only due to alcohol," Kyungsoo growled, breath ghosting over the fine hairs at the nape of Jongin's neck before releasing him.

The taller man was staring, dumbstruck, at Kyungsoo. "Wh-what just..."

"What just happened is you got put in a headlock by me, who you also tried to kiss," the older man said, folding his arms. 

"What are you talking about, I didn't try to kiss you..." Jongin mumbled, vulnerable for the first time since Kyungsoo had met him. "You had something on your face."

"Sure," Kyungsoo huffed. 

The two lapsed into silence for a while, then, as the jingling of keys could be heard, both got to their feet. A policeman came into view, carrying a piece of paper. He pressed the paper through the bars, and as Jongin read the writing, his face fell and he handed it over to Kyungsoo, mumbling, “Guess this is goodbye then.”

Kyungsoo’s face broke into a smile as he read his own name on the dirty paper and approached the door, the policeman’s keys jingling as he unlocked the door with a genuine smile back at the other male. “Bye, KAI.”

 

~

 

A few days later, Kyungsoo was lying on his bed, playing a game on his phone, when it buzzed, emitting an unfamiliar ringtone, SHINee’s Ring Ding Dong. Kyungsoo frowned, reading the caller ID, and laughed. He pressed the call button and brought the phone to his ear, stifling giggles. “Yeoboseyeo?”

“‘Sup,” the familiar voice came.

“Yah,” Kyungsoo said by way of greeting, “What’s with the caller ID?”

“It fits, though, don’t you think?” Jongin said, and Kyungsoo could almost hear the smirk.

“I guess, but ‘y Jail Guy’? Couldn’t you have chosen a less pretentious nickname? And how did you even get into my phone?”

“I got in jail for pickpocketing?” Jongin’s laugh came, low and melodious through the phone speaker.

Kyungsoo laughed along with him, the other man’s laugh infectious. “I thought you looked too sober for a supposed drunkard.”

“So anyways,” Jongin began, after a while of comfortable silence. “Will you go out with me this weekend?”

The Do blinked, surprised. “This is sudden, don’t you think?”

“Well, I want to get to know you, and I’m sure you want to get to know me too,” Jongin pointed out, and he was right. For the past few days, Kyungsoo’s mind had been full of the man he had met in the holding cell.

“Well, sure. I’d love to,” Kyungsoo smiled, even though he knew that the other man couldn’t see it. Then, after some thought, “As long as you don’t pickpocket me."