final.

I'll Be Home For Christmas
 
 
 
 
 

“When are you coming home...?” Baekhyun twirls his hair while checking his students’ tests.

 

“Soon, Baek.”

 

“It’s almost Christmas... You’re coming home then...right? Please? I...I don’t want to celebrate it without you,” he hears noises in the background.

 

“I have to go now. I’ll talk to you once I’m done.”

 

“Wait! Tell me if you’re coming home or not! Hey-”

 

“Bye!”

 

“Yifan!” the line is dead.

 

Baekhyun puts the phone down and grabs Ace, Yifan’s favorite alpaca plush and hugs it tightly to his chest. He plops onto the couch and stares at the photos on the wall. As much as he loves hanging out with his friends on Christmas, it was their fifth wedding anniversary. He hopes and prays Yifan can make it home in time, or at all.

 
 
 
 

"Was that him?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"You already have your ticket, right?"

 

"Mhmmm. I leave on the 24th."

 

"Isn't that cutting it close?"

 

"No, we're ahead by a bit, so I should arrive on the 24th."

 

"Don't things up, Kris. If you do I'll have your head." Luhan glares at the tall, black haired model.

 

"Don't worry!" Yifan grins at his friend. "Everything will be perfect."

 

The younger of the two receives an eye roll and a playful shove to the chest. "Shut up."

 

"So...how’s you and Chany-" a hand covers Yifan's mouth.

 

"We don't speak of the Loey."

 

"The what...?!" he asks muffled by the hand.

 

"Loey," Luhan's eyes scan the white room with all the stylists, making sure the other half of the twin towers is out of the room. "Yeol."

 

Luhan removes his hand, "The twitchy outfit coordinator?"

 

"Yes..."

 

"Uh...?"

 

"No. We aren't. He doesn't even know I exist...But! I have a plan. A good one. I swear!"

 

"And what is said plan...?" the model stares at the short stylist in confusion.

 

"Uh..."

 

Yifan face palms, "You're one special snowflake, Luhan."

 
 
 
 

“Tell me again why I’m with you stalking Cha-”

 

“Sh!!!! Oh my god, Yifan!” Luhan screams. Multiple eyes look at the two behind a fake potted plant. “Do you not understand the concept of shut the hell up?!”

 

"You just blew our cover," Yifan laughs walking away from the plant and up to Chanyeol who was waiting in line for coffee. His fingers tap to a beat while the other hand adjusts the headphones.

 

"Kris, no," Luhan whispers with acidity.

 

"Kris, yes!" his hand reaches out to touch Chanyeol's shoulder.

 

The elder lunges at Yifan causing him to fall on his side with the added weight of the shorter. "Damn, Lu Ge..."

 

"Damn straight. you."

 

"You’ll thank me later. Bye then!" Yifan shoves the elder off of him and bolts out the door. Luhan groans in anger and eyes glance at Chanyeol who paid no attention to what has happened.

 
 
 
 

Baekhyun yawns holding the phone near his ear, “And then what happened?”

 

“He yelled at me in the coffee shop! Literally, everyone was looking at us!” his husband exclaims through the phone.

 

“That definitely sounds like Luhan!” he giggles while hugging Ace. It was soft and comforting like the voice practically lulling him to sleep, despite being loud and somewhat obnoxious. He plops onto the couch holding the phone between his ear and shoulder, while his hands pet the soft stuffed animal in his lap, “So, he likes Cha- Loey?”

 

A pause, “More like loves.” Baekhyun laughs as he rubs his eyes and puts the phone on speaker. “How long has it been since I met you?”

 

“A long time.” Baekhyun stifles his yawn as best as he could, hopefully the latter didn’t notice.

 

“How long has it been since I last held you?”

 

“It feels like centuries. Actually, it’s been 8 months, but who’s counting? Not me. It’s not like its been eight months, one week, three hours, fifty-three minutes, and thirty seconds! Haha not at all.”

 

“Wait what?”

 

“I’m just kidding, but it’s definitely almost a year.”

 

Yifan laughs, “You’re so weird.”

 

“Love you, too~!” Baekhyun coos picking up the phone and taking it to the bedroom.

 

“What time is it there?”

 

“Almost 12AM.” he replies placing the phone on the bedside table, next to the frame of the two of them promising their lives to each other in front of a McDonald’s.

 

“You should be sleeping right now!” his husband exclaims.

 

“I’d rather talk to you,” he feels more energized from having moved a bit. “Besides, I barely get to talk to you...This is more important than sleep.”

 

Yifan sighs, “You want me to be here till you sleep?”

 

“Will you please?” Baekhyun giggles while pulling the covers over his small body. “I just plugged my phone in, so I’ll have charge for tomorrow!”

 

Yifan grins, “You’re so adorable, Baek. That’s also really smart. Do you have work tomorrow?”

 

“Promptly at 9AM.”

 

“Well, I better put you to sleep early, huh?”

 

Baekhyun sits up and glares at the phone, “No! Take your sweet time!”

 

He can feel Yifan rolling his eyes, and he lays back down onto the cushy bed with a huge smile on his face. The fatigue slowly making its way out of his system. He hugs Ace tightly to his chest.

 

“Have you received any interesting mail lately?”

 

“What?”

 

“Interesting mail.”

 

“Uh...No? Just bills and things like that, why?”

 

An awkward laugh, “No reason!”

 

He huffs, “Tell me!”

 

“That’ll spoil the surprise! Just wait for it!”

 

“Ugh, Yifan!!! Pleaseeeeee~?”

 

“No. Stop talking about it, or I’ll hang up!”

 

Baekhyun covers his mouth with an audible and painful sounding slap. Yifan gasps, “What happened?!”

 

He replies in muffled laughter.

 

“Baekhyun.”

 

His eyes smiling, and he removes his hands, “I just slapped myself on accident!”

 

“You idiot,” Yifan grumbles clearly unamused.

 

“Thank you, thank you!” Baekhyun smiles.

 

“How was your day?”

 

“My day was sort of boring, but eh. Your day sounded more interesting! Hahahaha!”

 

“I wanna hear about your day!” Yifan whines.

 

“Fine! Ugh.” Baekhyun clears his throat, “Today...I taught the kids how to play all sorts of percussion instruments! Also, we started working on our setlist for our upcoming Christmas concert. Yifan, they sounded so adorable! If you were here, you would’ve loved it!”

 

“That sounds anything but boring, Baek.”

 

“Okay, okay! It wasn’t that boring!”

 

Baekhyun can feel Yifan smiling through the phone. The thought made his heart flutter and a pleasant feeling spreading throughout his body. A sweet, toe curling feeling. He squirms around in bed, “I’m obviously not helping you sleep.”

 

“Obviously?” he mimics while smiling from ear to ear.

 

“You should really get some sleep, if you have work tomorrow, Bacon-ah!”

 

“But I’m not tired! And don’t call me that!” he whines.

 

Yifan blows a raspberry, “Whatever.”

 

“Will you sing for me, Fanfan?” he asks as a loud yawn escapes his lips.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Sing for me. Something nice and sweet!”

 

Yifan clears his throat, “I’ll sing you that one song that I totally know the lyrics too.”

 

Baekhyun giggles, “Mmkay!”

 

He closes shuts his eyes nuzzling into the alpaca’s fuzziness.

 

Yifan mumbles the lyrics slightly, but soon enough they construct words in a tongue Baekhyun has yet to learn. His soothing bass voice hitting the low notes beautifully and his falsetto a bit shaky, but still perfect to the sleepy husband. Smooth transitions between phrases along with the occasional screw up, but Baekhyun was getting too tired to care.

 

“In case I don’t say it later...I love you, Fanfan...and goodnight....” Baekhyun mumbles.

 

“Do you want me to keep singing?”

 

“Yes, please....Thank you...” Baekhyun smiles hugging the stuffed alpaca as he drifts off to the sound of his husband’s voice.

 
 
 
 

Baekhyun lays on the couch holding a cup of hot cocoa in a cute reindeer mug. A huge blob of whipped cream with a sprinkle of cinnamon sits on top of the warm drink. A slight burning in his hands, but he continues to stare out the large window thinking about his husband. It’s Christmas Eve and Baekhyun is in a Christmas sweater with oversized pajama bottoms.

 

5 years with that giant idiot. What a feat. He thinks to himself as the liquid eases itself into his stomach.

 
 
 
 

A black car speeds through the highways away from the airport. He runs a hand through his hair while the other holds a velvet box. A fond smile finds its way onto plush lips.

 

“So, you didn’t tell Baekhyun, right?” Jongdae questions.

 

“Yup!”

 

“You know he’s gonna murder you, right?”

 

“Probably!” Yifan laughs.

 

“What’s in the box? I thought you guys were married already,” Jongdae eyes the box through the rear view mirror.

 

Yifan covers the box with both hands; the fabric soft and familiar. “We are married, but we never had a ring ring. Y’know?”

 

“No, I don’t know. Myeonmyeon and I get married in like 2 months, dude, and we have a ring like a proper couple.”

 

An audible sigh, “Well, we picked out rings, but I feel like he just settled for them. I remember he told me about his dream ring and these weren’t it. They were a bit close, but not the right one. So, I had a pair made while I was away!” Yifan stares at the plain and slightly embezzled gold band on his left ring finger.

 

“Oh, Yifan that’s precious. I didn’t expect our Yifan to be such a softie!” a slew of cooing sounds ensue.

 

“Shut up and drive, Jongdae.”

 

He laughs.

 

“Also, guess what!”

 

“What, chicken ?”

 

Yifan rolls his eyes. “Baekhyun and I are going to be fathers!”

 

“Congratulat- Wait, he’s pregnant? How is that possible? He hasn’t told me! I would’ve seen too!!!! It’s been 8 months! Yifan are you insane?!” Jongdae yells.

 

“We’re adopting idiot!! Goodness, you can be really stupid.”

 

“Wait. Did you and Baekhyun even talk about adopting?”

 

“We’ve been visiting foster homes and contacting multiple agencies. We fell in love with the sweetest baby and I just finalized the papers a week before I left.”

 

“Ooooo! What’s his name? How old is he? Oh em gee! Jongdae excited!”

 

“His name is Sehun. He turns 2 in April. He’s so adorable, I can’t Jongdae!” it was Yifan's turn to coo.

 

“You’re adorable, ohmygod.”

 

“Shut up! I’m older than you!”

 
 
 
 

The empty cup sits on the table while twinkly lights illuminate the room. A movie plays in the background while he hums christmas carols underneath his breath. He flips through photo album after photo album, touching the occasional picture and he tries his best not to cry.

 

“Maybe, I should call him...” Baekhyun mumbles while flipping past a silly photo of the two of them wearing squid hats. He stares at his phone. “Well... He would’ve at least called me or something...”

 

He sighs, and he continues to flip through the photo album.

 
 
 

“Here we are!” Jongdae cheers, “Now get out of my car and go see your man!”

 

Yifan face palms, “Why am I friends with crazies...”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Not sorry, Merry Christmas, Jongdae! And thanks for taking time out of your schedule to pick me up!” he gets out of the car.

 

“Blah, blah, blah you’re welcome,” he replies as he gets out of the car to help Yifan with his luggage.

 

“Well, tell me how it went at the party tomorrow, okay?”

 

“Sure thing!” Yifan replies, “Thanks, again!”

 

“No problem!”

 

He enters the building and his heart races with excitement.

 
 
 
 

He shifts around, looking for the key to the apartment. “Gotcha!”

 

Unlocking the door, he enters the apartment swiftly and quietly as possible. Setting the key on the counter, he looks at the pile of mail and finds the right envelope. He moves his luggage off to the side and removes his jacket. Laying the jacket on top of the suitcase, he travels to the bedroom with the box and envelope in hand.

 

The apartment was quiet, clean, and very Christmas-y. Yifan really liked how Baekhyun decorated the place, it was cute and festive, just like the latter.

 

Opening the bedroom door quietly, soft snores are heard along with the soft trills of piano music in the background. Baekhyun lays on the bed tangled in a mess of sheets with reindeer stitched on them. An ugly Christmas sweater exposing cute stomach pudge, while arms hug a familiar alpaca.

 

“Ace!” Yifan exclaims quietly while moving closer. He sits on the edge of the bed and hopes he doesn’t disturb his lover’s peaceful slumber. Now, he’s sort of stuck. Does he wake Baekhyun up? Or just fall asleep and hope to wake up before the latter and still be able to surprise him?

 

Agh.

 

Yifan was super tired from his trip, so he decides to sleep. Setting the envelope and box down on his bedside table, he climbs into bed next Baekhyun. “I’ve missed you so much...” he mumbles into his lover’s hair, as the latter latches onto his shirt unconsciously

 

Baekhyun wakes up to sweet kisses on his nose and eyelids, lips seem to travel everywhere, but his own lips. “Yifan…?” He groans and turns onto his other side, “I’m sleepy...Go to bed...”

 

“But Bacon...”

 

Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows once an arm wraps around his waist, “Wait...Yifan?”

 

“What?” the voice responds playfully and pecks his hair, “What is it?”

 

“Wait...Yifan?!” Baekhyun sits up and looks to his side.

 

His husband looks at him with a gummy smile, “Hiya, Bacon.”

 

“Yifan!!” he wraps the taller in hug, “You’re back!”

 

The elder wraps his arms around the latter’s small frame and laughter bounces off the walls, “I sure am!”

 

A wetness is felt through his shirt and on bare skin and Baekhyun is shaking slightly, “Are you crying? Hey, I’m sorry! Oh my god Baekhyun! Are you okay?!”

 

“You idiot! I love you so much!” he tightens his grip around Yifan, “I hate you! Agh!!!! Yifan! Making me feel all sorts of things! You !”

 

“Actually, I-” Baekhyun smacks him on the chest after pulling away and snuggling into his side.

 

“Save it!” he laughs, “Still gross as ever!”

 

“Merry Christmas, Baekhyun,” he smiles.

 

“Merry KRISmas, .”

 

Yifan gives him a look and folds his arms across his chest, as best he could since the latter was squishing his arm, “Language, er.”

 

“Immature big ,” he giggles squishing his arms even more, “I can’t believe you’re still here! When did you get here? Why didn’t you wake me up? I could’ve picked you up! Who drove you here? Did you take a bus?”

 

“Jongdae picked me up and dropped me off. I got back last night and I wanted to surprise you when it was actually Christmas, sooooo...”

 

“I hate you, but I really don’t. But I do,” he mumbles, “Happy 5th Anniversary, Fanfan.”

 

Baekhyun kisses his husband’s lips softly and sweetly. Hands move to caress his face then travel to tangle into unkempt hair.

 
 
 
 

Giggling, Baekhyun swats Yifan’s hands away from the plate of cookies on the counter, “No! Those are for the party!”

 

“But, Baekhyun!” Yifan whines, “I want a cookie!”

 

“No.” he replies decorating a gingerbread man.

 

“Baek-”

 

“Stop.”

 

“Fine. I’m going to go unpack then,” he sulks to the room.

 

“Ugh, Yifan, come back here.”

 

“Cookie?”

 

“Cookie,” Baekhyun hands him a snowman with a ridiculous amount of frosting on it. “There you go, you big baby!”

 
 
 
 

Yifan unloads his stuff. After finishing, he stares at the envelope and box, “Maybe, I should give it to him now....”

 

Walking to the bedside table, he touches the manila envelope with one hand, “Or he could just find it on his own...”

 

He grins and carries the items outside of the bedroom and swiftly puts them on the coffee table in front of the TV.

 

“Done already?” Baekhyun calls as he dishes out another plate of decorated cookies.

 

“Yeah! Do I get another cookie?” Yifan asks as he kisses Baekhyun’s cheek.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Really?” the model wraps his arms around the music teacher.

 

“Maybe!” he laughs lightly pushing Yifan away, “Go do something productive while I finish decorating the cookies. Could you wrap presents or something? And you can take one cookie. One. Yifan did you hear me? Only one! How many cookies?”

 

“One,” he huffs snatching a gingerbread man and going to the bedroom to find a bunch of sweaters and gift boxes. “Are we giving sweaters this year?”

 

“Yeah! Everything you’ll need is there”

 

“What about tape?”

 

“In the box!”

 

“Thanks!” Yifan carries the box and wrapping paper out to the living room, “So, I just fold these and stuff them into boxes?”

 

“Don’t forget to write their names on the boxes, so we know who to give it too.”

 

“Okay, Bacon!”

 

“Don’t call me that!!!”

 

“Okay, Bacon!” Yifan finishes the rest of his cookie.

 

“Kris!”

 

“Bacon!”

 

“Ugh!” he goes back to decorating. Meanwhile his husband, goes to work on boxing and wrapping the sweaters.

 
 
 
 

“Wow, you got a lot done!” Baekhyun ruffles Yifan’s hair and sits down next to the taller crossing his legs.

 

“Yeah, I did! What about you? Did you finish?” he places the bow on top and removes a sticker with Jongdae’s name on it.

 

“I’m just boiling water for pasta and then we can go get ready for the party. Need some help? Or do you want me to get you something?”

 

“Hot chocolate! And a cookie.”

 

“I’ll get you cocoa, but not a cookie, Fanfan.” he ruffles Yifan’s hair again and goes to the kitchen.

 

“Bacon.”

 

FINE.”

 
 
 
 

He comes back with a Santa Mug and a plate of 3 cookies, “Not a cookie. Cookies.”

 

“Awwwwww, Bacon, you’re the best!” Yifan gets up from his spot on the floor to sit on the couch in front of the coffee table.

 

“Don’t call me that!” Baekhyun whines setting the plate down and handing Yifan the cup of cocoa, “You know I hate that nickname!”

 

“Hate is a strong word.” he replies sipping the steaming drink, whipped cream stuck to his upper lip.

 

“I could reach for stronger words, but I’d rather not!” the latter laughs and sits down, “How many do you have left to do?”

 

“Just Yixing’s and Junmyeon’s.”

 

“That’s good!” his eyes trail across the room, proud of his decorating skills. Yifan reaches for a cookie and munches on it. Sitting back onto the couch, he watches Baekhyun hoping he looks at the table.

 

“I did a pretty good job this year, huh?”

 

“Yeah, I like the lights you hung around the apartment. It’s very cute and gives off a nice cozy feeling.” Yifan sets the mug down on a coaster and throws an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder kissing his forehead. “Happy Anniversary and Merry Christmas, Baekhyun.”

 
 

Opening them again, he notices something on the table, “What is that?”

 

SCORE. Yifan mentally congratulates himself. “What is what?”

 

Baekhyun goes to the manila envelope and velvet box, “This.”

 

“Oh, those. Yeah, open them.”

 

“You got me presents?! What the hell, Yifan. You love spoiling me you, giant piece of gorgeous.”

 

“Well, I am a model. I sort of have to be gorgeous.” Yifan laughs.

 

A face palm, “Does it matter which one I open first?”

 

“No, not really. I recommend the box, but you know whatever.”

 

“Okay then....” he opens the velvet box to find a simple, yet intricate, silver and gold band sitting on the cushion. “Is this...”

 

“Maybe!” he chuckles rubbing soothing circles on Baekhyun’s quivering arm.

 

“I...I can’t believe you... Oh my god, Yifan! You’re gonna make me cry all over again! Ugh!!!!” Baekhyun laughs trying to stop the tears of joy. “Thank you!”

 

Yifan takes the box from his hand and also takes his left hand, “Here.”

 

He removes the original band and slides on the new ring, “I did pretty good, ey? I took some of your ideas and mixed in some of my own! I think it turned out pretty well!”

 

“What about you? Mine’s in our room, right now. I didn’t want to spoil the surprise right when you woke up earlier today,” it was his turn to ruffle the latter’s hair. “You’re welcome, Bacon!”

 

“It’s honestly everything I dreamed it would be and more! Thank you, Fanfan. Really, thank you!” he kisses Yifan and then pecks his cheek. “So, what’s in the envelope?”

 

“Go find out,” he laughs.

 

First, he admired the new ring for a moment then proceeded to open the manila envelope. At the first glance, he was sort of upset.

 

What the hell is this. Baekhyun thought reading off their names.

 

A name caught his eye. Oh Sehun.

 

Wait. What.

 

“Is this what I think it is…?”

 

“Congratulations, Bacon!”

 

“No way. You’re joking. We got approved? Oh my god, wait what.”

 

“Yup! Little Sehunnie is our son.” Yifan smiles.

 

“Oh my god!” he tackles his husband in a great hug. “Yifan!”

 

Yifan chuckles wrapping his arms around the squealing Baekhyun.

 

“Can we see him now? Can we take him home? Yifan, oh my god! I can’t believe this is, ohmygod I love you so much!” he tightens his grip on Yifan.

 

“Yeah, we can take him home today!”

 

“Do we even have the materia-”

 

“Bought them not too long ago, they’re at Xing’s house right now.”

 

Baekhyun stares into Yifan’s smiling eyes, “How did I get this lucky? I...Yifan thank you so much. Yifan, I love you.”

 

“I love you, too Baekhyun.” he presses his lips to his teary eyed husband, “I’m so grateful I met you and have been able to fall in love with you. Thank you for waiting these long 8 months, Baekhyun.”

 

Tears well up in Yifan’s eyes, and Baekhyun cries while smiling beautifully, “Merry Christmas and Happy Anniversary, .”

 

“Merry Christmas and Happy Anniversary to you too, er.”

 

They share another kiss. Then off they went to fetch their new child.