1/1

You Tried

His plan was perfect. Namjoon decided it would be the perfect birthday and Christmas surprise if he decorated the entire apartment while his boyfriend Seokjin was still sleeping. The silver-haired man dug around in their storage unit, eventually pulling out the dusty box of Christmas decorations that was buried in the back of the space.

First Namjoon retrieved the pine, his favorite, and vanilla, Seokjin’s favorite, scented candles that he had picked up at the craft store on his way home, placing them in different areas of the living room first, then placing a couple in the bathroom and their bedroom and lighting them up after making sure there was nothing flammable nearby.

He went back to the living room and started with their stockings, which were easy enough. The silly things were hung neatly on the wall near their door, proudly showing off their tacky festive designs. Seokjin’s was red with a green trim and decorated with a cartoon-y snowman while Namjoon’s had the opposite color scheme and featured a chubby Santa Claus with snow falling around him.

Next were the plastic snowflakes, which had to be individually hung around the entire apartment. Namjoon mounted the hooks first in the places he saw fit for the decorations and then went to hang the snowflakes, being careful not to knock into anything, especially the candles, in his haste. The last thing he needed was for all his hard work to literally go up in flames.

He tried to move as quickly and quietly as he could, though, knowing Seokjin could wake up at any second and his surprise would be in vain, even though he was sure that his boyfriend would probably have to fix everything anyway.

He finished hanging the snowflakes and went back to the storage locker to gather the Christmas tree ornaments, tinsel, and lights.

Namjoon took his time making sure the tinsel was wound around the tree perfectly before getting to work hanging each individual ornament, taking extra care to make sure Seokjin’s special and expensive (extra emphasis on expensive) ornaments were hung securely on the tree out of fear that they would fall off and shatter, which would probably prompt Seokjin to behead him. The elder was truly terrifying when it came to taking care of his expensive possessions.

Namjoon finished off the tree with a shiny gold star on top before stepping back to admire his handiwork so far. The apartment didn’t look too awful in his opinion, and he hoped it would match up to his boyfriend’s expectations as well.

The last thing he had to do was hang the lights, which just happened to be Seokjin’s favorite part of decorating. Namjoon felt a little bad that he had went and done the decorating without his boyfriend, seeing as how it had been a tradition for the last two years they had been living together for them to decorate their apartment together, but he was hoping he would get to see the elder’s face light up like a child’s on Christmas morning when he saw Namjoon’s handiwork the same way he looked when he was actually doing the decorating.

Namjoon heaved the tangled mass of wires and lights from the storage box and growled in frustration when he realized just how much of a hassle it would be to untangle them on his own. He glared at the lights angrily, hoping by some miracle the force of his gaze would somehow untangle the lights for him so he could just get on with his decorating. After realizing that staring at the mess was doing nothing to help, he sighed in resignation and got to work meticulously untangling the lights.

After a half an hour struggle, the lights were probably more tangled than they were when they first came out of the box and Namjoon was stuck in the middle. He had somehow managed to get himself wrapped up in the string of lights and was now struggling to free himself, tugging uselessly at the wires that were constricting him. He pulled himself to his feet to try to get a better grasp of the situation, but didn’t last long before immediately falling back over and landing on the floor with a loud thud.

--

Seokjin was startled awake by a dull thunk coming from the living room. The scent of pine and vanilla filled his nose and he inhaled deeply, wrenching his eyes open to see little green and white candles placed throughout his and Namjoon’s bedroom,

“Joonie?” he called. When he got no response he slid out of bed and padded down the hall and towards the living room where the thud came from. When Seokjin found the source of the noise he had to cover his mouth to keep in the giggles that threatened to slip past his lips. There on the floor of the living room was Namjoon, tangled up like a Christmas light mummy and groaning in pain from his fall,

“Omo! Namjoon what happened?” Seokjin let out a bark of laughter as his boyfriend glared up at him weakly, still completely incapacitated,

“Hyuuuung, stop laughing and help me up,” he whined. Seokjin helped his boyfriend up and began untangling him from the lights,

“So mind telling me why you were laying in the floor wrapped in our Christmas lights? Were you my present this year?” he asked, giving Namjoon a greasy wink. Namjoon scoffed,

“Of course I try to do something nice for us and you have to make it all weird…,” he replied, rolling his eyes. Seokjin freed the younger man from the lights and wrapped his arms around his broad shoulders,

“You know I’m kidding, Joonie. It was really sweet of you and it looks beautiful,” he murmured before pressing a chaste kiss to Namjoon’s lips. Namjoon wrapped his arms around Seokjin’s waist and pulled his boyfriend close,

“I did it all for you, baby,” he whispered before burying his nose in the elder’s neck. Seokjin sighed contently,

“Merry Christmas, Namjoon,”

“Merry Christmas”.